PDA

View Full Version : Starting a band: Advice

zeratul
2008-08-18, 08:16 PM
So me (a vocalist and semi decent) and a friend of mine (amazing guitarist) have been working on starting a band for a year now. We both have riffs, I have lyrics to about 12 or so songs written. So our problem has been with getting a bassist and drummer. We have decided to put up posters advertising that we need a drummer and a bassist, with our logo, and some art on them. Here are some questions of mine:

1. On the posters what should we say exactly? We know that we should say that drummers and and bassists of any genre can apply as long as they're willing to play in a metal band.

2. How should we audition them? Pick one of their houses, and have all drummers audition on one set, or just jam with them? With bassists this would be easier as less space is required.

3. How Important should chemistry be in terms of who we pick. I've been told that we should only pick someone if we like their personality as well as their style.

4.Should we pick a few things we've written for the band to jam on if we do just jam for auditions, or should we just improvise?

5.Any other advice on starting a band at all would be greatly appreciated.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-18, 08:19 PM
1. Just that you need a bassist and a drummer.
2.I would have them all audition on one set.
3.Very important.
4.I'd do some of the stuff you've written.
5.Post an add in an add bulletin or newspaper. Good luck.

DraPrime
2008-08-18, 08:24 PM
Well as far as auditions go, may I recommend that first you ask them to just play whatever they want to? Just one song or maybe a quick solo so they can show off what they can do on their own. Then jam with them. It's how my band found both of our fantastic guitarists. And let me give you a little bit of advice on writing lyrics. Don't get "manowar disorder" where you try to write about all sorts of epic stuff. It's irritating, and fairly cliche. Now a bit of advice to you, and not about the band. If you haven't taken singing lessons, do so. It will immediately improve the quality of your singing and make your music better. And when you do record some songs, post them on these forums, because I wanna hear what you came up with Zeratul.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-18, 08:29 PM
You need to pick a drummer whose style you like, and personallity, you were dead on there.

Also, with my band, we where in the exact same situation as you, but we auditioned a bassit and drummer in a pair, to see which two worked best together... Percussion was sorta important in my band though. It took a while to get all the pairs done and evaluated. It's alot of hassel that way...

Give them music to what songs you two wrote. See how well they can play that, AND some classic Metal... I'd throw in other genres too.

I'd also pick someone you are comfortable being around. Done get yourself kidnapped, and hidden in the base drum while they run you off too mexico to be a...

[/rant.]

evisiron
2008-08-18, 08:43 PM
Play Rock Band, its more fun. :smallbiggrin:

Only advice I can give has been mentioned above, make sure you like the person before letting them join, or it wont last long.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-18, 09:10 PM
Only advice I can give has been mentioned above, make sure you like the person before letting them join, or it wont last long.
Seconded.

Make them play one of your songs.
And then of their songs(Just one that they preferr, or him/her/it wrote)
And then just jam, see if you can do that cool toghetter.

zeratul
2008-08-18, 09:34 PM
nd when you do record some songs, post them on these forums, because I wanna hear what you came up with Zeratul.

I will for sure do so. Might even get a recording at one of our gigs or something if im lucky.

FdL
2008-08-18, 10:57 PM
I'd make them play to a choice of covers that the rest knows. Then the thing about playing a song of yours is not bad, but it's just to get a ver broad idea of what he can do, I guess. Cause playing a song you don't know for the first time doesn't sound like a good way to judge someone's musical ability. Improvising is not everybody's forte.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-19, 08:37 AM
it might be wise to keep the adverts/posters fairly bland to atract a wider audience

just state that you want a drummer, and who the main influences for your sound are going to be (pick a list of 5-6 bands). Saying you have songs already written will certainly attract more attention. State that you are a metal band from the get go - but be open. Listen to a band called botch. Metal + Math Rock drumming/timing = incredible AND original. Maybe an indie drummer or something unconventional could make an interesting mix? Unless you want to be a strictly by-the-books metal band?

for auditioning a bass player, just have them come on over - plug into a combo and jam out for a while. It saves them having to bring a whole rig, and it lets you get a decent vibe of their playing without too much hassle. Drummers can be a bit harder to audition - see if they have any material from any previous bands they've been in

it may be wiser to set a well know song (a song thats influenced the bands playing style) as the song you jam out too. Just go all out with it - so you can get a decent vibe of the energy they'll bring to a live show

ADVICE - Post your add everywhere (craiglist/music forums/local music shops and guitar shop notice boards). Don't settle for someone because no one else is available. You don't have to be best buddies, but you do all have to wanna take things in roughly the same direction artistically. Be flexible about the band name (nothing would be worse than finding the perfect person, then having them say "no thanks, your name sucks"). Start researching practice spaces in the local area. Not everyone wants to jam in a garage/has the space. Be flexible about the location for practice if someone lives further than the rest (maybe sub their travel a bit if they're traveling long distance).

what guitar set up are you using?

SuperMuldoon
2008-08-19, 09:20 AM
I would have to agree with most of the advice here. Definitely make sure the chemistry is good with everyone, I think thats the most important part (even more then skill). Before you audition them, I would say send them an mp3 or something of some of the riffs you guys have and then have them come to audition and play those with you guys, then maybe jam out.

Also, listen to botch :smallcool:.

ColonelFuster
2008-08-19, 09:38 AM
Before I say anything else, I must note that handing your average drummer/bassist sheet music will not turn out well. This is from experience.
Okay, so, you're starting a band. Make sure that you post a picture of yourself on the flier- this will alert the kids and the old-timers of how old you are. I don't know much about metal, but the bands I do know are all fairly close to one another, sharing really common interests/backgrounds. Maybe it would be for the best if, after you audition people, you take the best and jam with each of them a few times, having breaks for beer afterwards to sit and talk. You find out pretty quickly how annoying someone is if they've had a few.
What else...
Don't fall into the trap of "gosh they're really talented, but they think D&D is satanic and that metal should take a more spiritual route" or "geez, this guy is friendly, but he really needs to work on his drumming" or the ever-damned "O.O she's hot!"
It. Will. Not. Work. You can get by with your drummer being a little speedy and still likable, because if they're not likable, your band will see no reason as to keep them.
Hm...
Make sure that you perform one of the songs that you've ritten, tell them to "jump in when they feel comfortable." Metal dosen't have much in the way of dramatic bridges, so they should be okay.

My parting word of advice: drummers tend to take their shirt off sometimes. Make sure your drummer isn't uber-flabby.
Shalom!

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-19, 11:57 AM
nicholas barker negs your last point... dudes a machine, a flabby, tubby machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqxnbfcW1Q

smellie_hippie
2008-08-19, 11:59 AM
I would also have to plug a lot for personality.

If they're decent at drums or bass... they can improve.
If they kick ass, but you don't want to be around them...

You can also check with the employees at your music store. They should know who recently bought $800 bass rigs and $1200 drum kits but don't have a band together yet.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 12:16 PM
In my experience with finding a rhythm section, it's helpful if you make it clear exactly what kind of music you're going to be playing. Is there going to be lots of jamming involved? Exactly how heavy are going to be? What do you expect from them? Do you want them to be sidemen, equals, composers, soloists, et cetra...

And why no keyboardist? Jordan Rudess is angry angry angry. :smallmad:

zeratul
2008-08-19, 12:20 PM
In my experience with finding a rhythm section, it's helpful if you make it clear exactly what kind of music you're going to be playing. Is there going to be lots of jamming involved? Exactly how heavy are going to be? What do you expect from them? Do you want them to be sidemen, equals, composers, soloists, et cetra...

And why no keyboardist? Jordan Rudess is angry angry angry. :smallmad:

We're going to be pretty heavy, kind of dark thrash metal. Probably not much jamming unless you count improvised solo duels.

Lead guitarist wants a keyboardist, but I consider them a luxury, it would be cool to have one but we can do without one.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 12:29 PM
You should find a keyboardist. Most of 'em who like metal play guitar as well, and usually have aignificantly different style than purebred guitarists (ie, all tapping, all the time. :smallbiggrin:) which would add quite a bit to your sound.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 07:35 PM
So to update quickly, I have someone who's going to help design the poster whos a really good artist, I called the schools and they'll let me put it up, and I'm working on the logo right now.

As a cover song to learn to audition people with how would symphony of destruction by megadeth be? Or Nymphetamine by cradle of filth?

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-20, 08:32 AM
go for CoF - but don't design a logo just yet. Band names and such should be discussed when the rest of the band is complete

It might also be cool if you let them suggest a song to jam - to see what they bring to the mix (and challenge yourself along the way)

Moff Chumley
2008-08-20, 06:00 PM
I think to keep everything completely neutral, just suggest a chord progression and jam over it. Although, that would sort of exlude you... :smalltongue:

zeratul
2008-08-20, 10:41 PM
So I posted an add on craigslist as well. Hopefully I'm gonna call the local pennysaver soon and see if i can get an add in there too.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 09:19 AM
So to update quickly, I have someone who's going to help design the poster whos a really good artist, I called the schools and they'll let me put it up, and I'm working on the logo right now.

As a cover song to learn to audition people with how would symphony of destruction by megadeth be? Or Nymphetamine by cradle of filth?

May I recommend Battery by Metallica? That's always a fun one to play.

zeratul
2008-08-22, 11:22 PM
May I recommend Battery by Metallica? That's always a fun one to play.

Dude, great song pick. It might be a bit hard for me to learn to sing and play it at the same time but I'll be damned if I don't try hehe. I think I can do it to, the chords are really easy.

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 09:06 AM
Well it's a somewhat difficult song, but once you learn it, then it's going to be a good test to see how much technical skill you're applying bassist/drummer has.

PlatinumJester
2008-08-23, 10:23 AM
Things that you may want to consider when choosing someone other than skill and personality -

Access to their own instruments and gear. Though most rehearsal studios rent drums and amps, many of them don't rent guitars or bases. It also means that you can jam at home if so desired

Ability to improvise - not vital but is definately helpful.

Another good thing is if they can also play another instrument, arrange, produce, or engineer etc. Yet again this isn't vital but can be helpful.

A great thing is if one of them has a job at a studio. Where I work they give employees 50% off of rehearsal times which is an obvious advantage.