PDA

View Full Version : Lelouch vs. Peter Wiggin and Julian Delphiki: A Comparison

Rogue 7
2008-08-18, 10:35 PM
I recently caught up with the subtitled episodes of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. Because of the nature of this discussion, massive spoilers abound, and they are not tagged, up to episode 19. You have been warned. Now then, on to business.

I don't mean this as a versus thread, more a compare and contrast thread between Lelouch and Peter Wiggin and Julian "Bean" Delphiki, the last Hegemon and military genius respectively in Orson Scott Card's Shadow series. For the sake of things, I'll be looking at Peter and Bean as far more of a unit, as this discussion focuses more on their abilities and the applications rather than their personalities.

Both of these two folks are establishing unified global alliances from scattered, radically different components. They're facing down a massive enemy who controls a huge portion of the world's population (Britannia for Lelouch, while the FPE faced off against the muslims and India). In doing so , they essentially establish the same thing. The FPE was an attempt to recreate the US constitution on a worldwide scale, with perhaps a bit less central authority (at least at first). Peter specifically mentions that he is trying to create an institution that will outlast himself, much as the founding fathers did. Zero, on the other hand, created a cult of personality. In episode 17 (I think), he admitted this, that they needed him to lead the armies. Based on the events of episode 19, it remains to be seen if the Black Knights can function without him, though all indications are that they cannot, based on the previous example of the first battle for Tokyo.

On the battlefield, Bean is obviously much more concerned for his subordinates lives rather than the mission, pretty much the opposite of Lulu. He also doesn't have the problem of insane super-robots showing up and completely obliterating any sort of plan. One unit changing the entire course of a battle just by being there does not particularly lend itself to great tactical command. Here is the direct comparison- who is better on the battlefied, Bean or Zero? I'm...not sure. Zero has pulled off some incredible stunts, much more so than Bean, but many of his massively impressive victories were based off of Geass (season 1 finale and collapsing the Tokyo settlement) or manipulation of the enemy's psyche rather than raw tactical skill (see the fight against the Chinese Eunuchs). Bean has more tactical skill. See his flawless victory against Sudan in Shadow Of The Giant. Lelouch also has significant personal weaknesses- (well, weakness. She's blind, crippled, and his complete undoing), while Bean was able to work past his with much better fortitude (his handling of Achilles was masterful).

I'm something of a politics geek (Major in college), so this concept of building a coalition from disparate elements is something I find immensely interesting.

Gavin Sage
2008-08-18, 11:02 PM
Not to rant but Zero sells his series by being the Magnificent Bastard that he is, while Bean's series is as far as I'm concerned a ridiculous and massively unessecary retcon that devalues the original Ender's Game. And which I really try to ignore. Bean having a series, fine. Bean being smarter then Ender and Peter put together and the secret to everyone's success while bagging the only availible female character, nigh Mary Sue that there is. Honestly I think the only thing useful to come out of the Shadow series was something other then buggers to call the buggers. Its like canon bad fanfic I swear.

Okay I'm done.

Rogue 7
2008-08-18, 11:30 PM
Yeah...that's true...

But I disregard that for the awesome political intrigue and debate that goes on.