PDA

View Full Version : Slaadi Lords

arguskos
2008-08-18, 11:49 PM
So, in the older editions of D&D, there were the two Slaadi Lords: Ssendam and Ygorl. Champions of Ruin (for 3.5 Faerun) introduced Bazim-Gorag, another Slaadi Lord, and referenced Ssendam and Ygorl.

Now, what I'm wondering is two part:
1. Can someone point me to where they may have stated out Ssendam and Ygorl for 3.5?

2. Are there any other Slaadi Lords that have be stated out, or at least mentioned?

-argus

Helgraf
2008-08-18, 11:54 PM
Actually, there were four or five Slaadi Lords originally. If you have the Dragon Archive CD collection, you can search for the article there.

But no, I don't recall a 3.x conversion for them.

arguskos
2008-08-18, 11:55 PM
Nah, I'm afraid I don't. Is there somewhere to get it online? (I love Slaadi)

-argus

Helgraf
2008-08-19, 12:00 AM
Try eBay or half.com

arguskos
2008-08-19, 12:01 AM
Damn. I was hoping it'd be released on the net by Dragon. Oh well. *shrug*

Thanks for the aid anyhoo!

-argus

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-19, 12:25 AM
General info probably nothing you don't already know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaad#Xanxost

Stats:

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/outsider/slaad/rennbuu.htm

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/outsider/slaad/ygorl.htm

arguskos
2008-08-19, 12:33 AM
I wonder why Ygorl rides a Brass Dragon...

Anyway, thanks greatly for finding that CASTLEMIKE. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-19, 12:36 AM

Anyway, thanks greatly for finding that CASTLEMIKE. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

That's how you know you are a Big Shot when you get a Dragon for a steed.

Glad it was useful.

vicente408
2008-08-19, 12:50 AM

Yeah, it seems pretty... random.

*rimshot*

bosssmiley
2008-08-19, 03:22 AM
DiceFreaks Chaos Project (http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48): one aspect of it is turning the Slaadi (and the Slaad Lords) into something more then mere 'non-evil demons'.

hamishspence
2008-08-21, 02:22 PM
Bazim-Gorag was evil in both 3.5 and 4th editions (Chaotic evil) Is described as an "ascended batrachi" in 4th ed FRCG, and in Grand History of the Realms there is a paragraph featuring him.

The connection between slaadi and batrachi is still not fully fleshed out, but The Firebringer, at least, is ex-batrachi.

arguskos
2008-08-21, 02:35 PM
That's interesting, since it clearly says he is a Slaad Lord in 3.5.... hmm. Perhaps the batrachi are proto-slaadi or something like that.

-argus

hamishspence
2008-08-21, 02:46 PM
Slaad lord: lord of the slaad? My guess is the theory that some of the batrachi became the slaadi, mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms, is probably correct.

Dopplegangers, and most of the fishy or shapeshifting races are believed to be connected to the batrachi in some way- servants or creations?

The Neraphim from Planar Handbook (they look like non-magic slaadi) seem less Alienesque than slaadi, maybe more like what they were before they became chaotically altered?

arguskos
2008-08-21, 02:51 PM
Slaad Lords actually are just very powerful individual slaad that have some followers.

I'd agree, the idea that the batrachi evolved into the slaadi, doppelgangers, and the locatha is probably correct (it was mentioned in... I think Lost Empires that the batrachi did evolve into the locatha and the doppelgangers, but little is said about the slaadi).

As for the Neraphim, didn't it say they were lesser slaadi? Totally thought it did, but I'm away from my collection atm, so I can't check.

-argus

hamishspence
2008-08-21, 03:05 PM
In bazim-Gorag's rant (maybe misleading), it said "many confuse my people with the slaadi, but I am a batrachi lord, far more powerful than any slaad" and also that they were transformed when they retreated to Limbo, possibly by their deity.

In the Neraphim section in Planar handbook, it said they are a distinct creature from the slaadi, but it also said that there is a theory that they are a subspecies of slaadi, somewhat supported by their reverence of Ssendam and Ygorl, which are either deities or very powerful slaadi.

And Locathahs, dopplegangers, etc are described as the creations of the batrachi, not their descendants.

Since it said, amphibioid, shapechanging, and Piscine races, and given 4th ed puts krakens, morkoths (one possible batrachi creation) etc in the hands of the Aboleth Sovereignity, maybe they batrachi and the aboleths are connected?

Remember Realms origins for creatures may not match non-realms origins.

arguskos
2008-08-21, 03:52 PM
First, I know full well that FR lore =/= basic fluff. I love the Realms. However, I am away from my books (and so am working from memory here).

I still question B-G's speech there, since Champions of Ruin clearly states that he IS, in fact, a Slaad Lord. Since I'm fairly certain that the Spellplague didn't suddenly alter his entire memory, genetics, and all that, I'm going with either:

A. Retcon on the designers part (to fit in better with 4e).
-or, more likely-
B. Bazim-Gorag is lying about being a batrachi to throw someone off his tail, which fits with a chaotic evil being (no compunction against lying for benefit, etc).

Also, do we know anything yet about the other Progenitor Races? The Sarrukh are well known by now. The humans are, duh, well known. The batrachi are pretty sketchy with the details (fitting, for a race of shapeshifters). The fae retreated to Faerie (if I recall correctly). The avians (the fifth race) went.... somewhere? Did they die out or something? Do we know yet?

-argus

Innis Cabal
2008-08-21, 04:03 PM
Yorgal and Ssendam are both stated in several 3rd party MM's

hamishspence
2008-08-22, 11:56 AM
4th ed FRcG says Bazim Gorag is definitely an ascended batrachi. Maybe the term "slaad lord" is more for creatures of mysterious nature, ruling over the slaadi? Or maybe slaadi are batrachi evolved into a different creature, with a few relict true batrachi like The Firebringer still around.

The avians apparently created wyverns in Grand History, and were both scaly and feathered. Some of their descendants include the kenku (corrupted by Pazuzu/Pazrael, formerly the Aearee Quor) and the aarakocra or "Aearee Krocaa"