View Full Version : V's four words (spoiler for EVERYTHING)

GSFB
2008-08-19, 12:03 AM
I know now how the strip will end, how the Order will defeat the Snarl:

"It killed Belkar! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

V, in a fit of rage in front of the Snarl, achieves ultimate arcane power. The Gods, watching in fear and awe, too afraid of the Snarl to act on their own, mistake V's reaction for the pain of true love lost - in actuality, it is the shock of realizing she won't have anyone to harass any more with explosive runes. So, for the completely wrong reasons, the Gods give ultimate arcane power to V, to defeat the Snarl. And, sadly, that level of power ends up killing V at the same time.

Belkar dies. Belkar is the cause of V's death (in a manner in keeping with the vagueness of the Oracle). Prophecies are made true. Everyone else is saved. The end.

Degausser
2008-08-19, 12:11 AM
Nice try, but we all know the four words will be one of the following:

Ting Tang wallawalla bingbang
There is no Spoon
IIII HAVE THE POWER!
By the Castle Greyskull!

T-O-E
2008-08-19, 07:27 AM
The story is saved by a thinly veiled dues-ex-machina?
And wait... why didn't the Gods give ultimate arcane power to a mortal in the first place?

These V four-words threads are rising in popularity.

ZFR
2008-08-19, 10:20 AM
It's going to be:

"Four words are not enough"

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-19, 10:31 AM
"These threads are incorrect"

AKA_Bait
2008-08-19, 10:39 AM
I've always liked:

"It is not enough!"

Logalmier
2008-08-19, 03:00 PM
I'm still sticking to: "Belkar, I love you."

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-19, 03:04 PM
How about "I cast magic missile!"

BRC
2008-08-19, 03:19 PM
It's not four words, what V must say is "The right four words to the right being for all the wrong reasons." which is actually an incantation that unlocks hidden arcane potential.

EDIT: Alternatively, the four words are "The Right Four Words"

Kaytara
2008-08-19, 03:24 PM
How about "Enough of these threads!!!" XD

Just kidding here. XD I love these threads. ^^ The things people come up with. :) :smallbiggrin:

Shatteredtower
2008-08-19, 03:56 PM
These V four-words threads are rising in popularity.Of course! It's:

"Miko could save us."

Why didn't I see it sooner?

:smallwink:

AlexanderRM
2008-08-19, 04:09 PM
It's not four words, what V must say is "The right four words to the right being for all the wrong reasons." which is actually an incantation that unlocks hidden arcane potential.

That must be it.
I still like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!", though.

Morgan Wick
2008-08-19, 05:59 PM
These V four-words threads are rising in popularity.

Might have something to do with V getting incredibly stressed, which might lead him/her to start getting "all the wrong reasons"...

Ramien
2008-08-19, 06:48 PM
My vote is for:
"I attack the Darkness" - Specifically, the darkness around the MitD. The monster, which we've already seen as being almost absurdly powerful, then transfers its powers to V in gratitude. Power + Knowledge = overpowered elf.

Just kidding, of course... or am I?

Pink
2008-08-19, 07:05 PM
I always figured that they'd be "I am a <insert proper gender here>!"

Hann
2008-08-19, 07:28 PM
"It's Over Nine THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDDDD!"

There is no other answer.

Werewindlefr
2008-08-19, 07:54 PM
It's a faaaaaaaake!!!

Victor Thorian
2008-08-20, 03:46 PM
Imma Chargin Mah Lazer

paladin_carvin
2008-08-20, 04:58 PM
let's get it oooooon *play some Barry White*

I don't know why he would, but it could fit the other portions of the prophecy for 'the right four words' and 'all the wrong reasons'.

Hokum
2008-08-20, 04:58 PM
"Forty-two"

wtf? :smallconfused:

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-20, 05:07 PM
"Forty-two"

wtf? :smallconfused:

42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything
I thought everyone knew that

Stabbify
2008-08-20, 06:13 PM
I was going for "I prepared Explosive Runes", written on a note to Belkar, who reads it at a different moment than V had expected, destroying the last gate, causing the Snarl to be unleashed but for some reason it obeys V's commands.

Guess that doesn't count as 'saying', though. :(

Dire Platypus
2008-08-20, 08:06 PM
I always liked "Dire platypus, hydro pump!"

Fnip the Psion
2008-08-20, 08:16 PM
go forty-two dude!

Red XIV
2008-08-20, 08:46 PM
Imma Chargin Mah Lazer

So then the means for utilizing ultimate arcane power, once it's achieved, is to say "SHOOP DA WHOOP"? :biggrin:

drengnikrafe
2008-08-20, 08:50 PM
I'm suddenly a fan of "The Right Four Words".

But, in staying with the rediculousness of this thread, where people randomly come up with 4 words that are a joke for the purpose of spreading humor in the form of foolishness around these forums, I'll come up with something too.

"Yo Mamma's So Fat...."

Sorry, I couldn't think of anything.

alchemyprime
2008-08-20, 09:14 PM
Huh... 4 words, eh?

"It doesn't really matter."
"My gender is irrellevant!"
"We will rock you."
"(Order memeber here), get behind me!"
"Not in the face!"

Just a few ideas.:smalltongue:

Linkavitch
2008-08-21, 03:44 PM

I agree with this guy.

Theodoriph
2008-08-21, 03:51 PM
"Get your own sandwich!" preferably preceded by someone else saying "Back off!"

NephandiMan
2008-08-23, 12:26 AM
"I am your father." (It's the Middle of Darkness, rather than the Start).

"THAT'S! NOT! MY! COW!" (With apologies to Terry Pratchett).

"I'm the goddam Batman." (Maybe he'll say these words to a ninja whose powers are based on logic).

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"

"It was his sled."

"Aeris dies. Spike too."

"I tire of this." (So, so many situations that it could fit...)

"Behold true arcane power."

"I DON'T LIKE SPAM!" (Then again, maybe he just says "Ni!" four times).

"You've not enough minerals." (Or, if he has more of an attitude, "Fool! Construct additional pylons!")

"THEY BLEW IT UUUUUP!"

"Gimme a Jill sandwich." (The secret to ultimate arcane power? Not using perfect elocution all the time).

"The Internet is tubes."

"Madness? THIS! IS! NOWHERE!" (I like the thought of V gaining ultimate arcane power in the middle of Nowhere - and hey, naming a place nowhere just screams Chekhov's Pun (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsPun), notwithstanding that the pun's already been discharged more than once. Maybe it's more like Chekhov's Overly Long (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongGag) Punning Gag (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RunningGag)).

As you can see, a number of these hinge on V losing control and shouting. I think that's appropriate, given that the gaining of ultimate arcane power (especially in a situation that involves "all the wrong reasons") will almost certainly be a moment of great dramatic power and emotional stress.

Plus, cruise control for cool.

Setra
2008-08-23, 12:45 AM
"Elan, you were right"

Number316
2008-08-23, 03:14 PM
''I prepared explosive runes''

TheBST
2008-08-23, 07:03 PM
THe four words have to be part of a longer sentence. V has many Arcane powers. They do not include brevity.

Dogmantra
2008-08-24, 03:03 PM
I'm going with "The right four words"

(S)He's going to say it to Haley, because she will ask how (s)he'll finally gain ultimate arcane power, and the reply will be "The right four words" to the right being (as in, V'll actually answer the question to the right person, not someone who didn't ask it) and for all the wrong reasons, not to gain ultimate arcane power, but to wxplain how (s)he'll get it.

Or it could be "Yes! An Epic Level!"

GSFB
2008-08-27, 02:21 PM
Perhaps: "Let me be brief..."

Staven
2008-08-27, 02:35 PM
"I can has cheezburger?" Is on top of my list for the one I want him to say, but what I think will be the actually four words?

"You're in my way." (spoken to Xykon)

AlexanderRM
2008-08-27, 04:39 PM
"It's Over Nine THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDDDD!"

There is no other answer.
"V, how much XP did you gain from that"
"...It's over nine THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDDDD!"

Though that actually wouldn't be that much, so maybe it would be followed by:

"XP?"
"no, levels"

And yes, I know that you aren't supposed to be able to gain more than one level at a time.

strayth
2008-08-27, 04:58 PM
"Spoiler Alert; everyone dies."

MReav
2008-08-27, 05:06 PM
"Where is the bathroom?"

"I prepared Explosive Runes"

"I WANT MY CHEESECAKE?"

tribble
2008-08-27, 05:09 PM
cake is a LIE.

Darth Mario
2008-08-27, 05:13 PM
"Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! ...Oops."

xelliea
2008-08-28, 02:44 AM

V, in a fit of rage in front of the Snarl, achieves ultimate arcane power. The Gods, watching in fear and awe, too afraid of the Snarl to act on their own, mistake V's reaction for the pain of true love lost - in actuality, it is the shock of realizing she won't have anyone to harass any more with explosive runes. So, for the completely wrong reasons, the Gods give ultimate arcane power to V, to defeat the Snarl. And, sadly, that level of power ends up killing V at the same time.

Belkar dies. Belkar is the cause of V's death (in a manner in keeping with the vagueness of the Oracle). Prophecies are made true. Everyone else is saved. The end.

i agree however i hpe V does not die s/he rules
:vaarsuvius: forever!!!

Corsair
2008-08-28, 04:39 AM
"Give me the Umbrella."

RMS Oceanic
2008-08-28, 04:43 AM
"I'm not left handed."

Neopolis
2008-08-28, 04:48 AM
"I am actually Therkla."

shadowpriest
2008-08-28, 05:15 AM
cake is a LIE.

i was thinking the same thing!!!:smallbiggrin:

Kaytara
2008-08-28, 07:34 AM
"Less talking, more fighting!"

Wouldn't that be NEW. XD

On a more serious note, I've been thinking something like...

"Arcane power is useless."

It doesn't sound unlikely. Vaarsuvius might be growing increasingly frustrated with the usefulness of his magic, and eventually will express his frustration in such a way, at such a time when saying that will actually lead to GETTING ultimate arcane power. Maybe some higher entity is running a Secret Personality Test and mistakes V's frustration for wisdom. XD

Daran
2008-08-28, 08:16 AM
"I need some sleep!"

(I know elves don't sleep)

SoD
2008-08-28, 08:27 AM
Adding in the other half of the conversation...

Huh... 4 words, eh?

:belkar: "But are you a guy or a girl?"
:vaarsuvius: "It doesn't really matter."
:belkar: "But-"
:vaarsuvius: "My gender is irrellevant!" *charm halfling*
:belkar: "You're right, I never thought about it like that."
:vaarsuvius: "I will rock you."
:belkar: "So what do you want me to do?"
:vaarsuvius: "Belkar, get behind me!"
*a few minutes later*
:vaarsuvius: "Not in the face!"

Just a few ideas.:smalltongue:

Just a few more.:tongue:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

My suggestions: "Only four words???" or "What? Gestalt was allowed? *scribbles on character sheet*

UncleWolf
2008-08-28, 08:45 AM
how about

"Hold me, Belkar Bitterleaf."

Marduk Prophet
2008-08-28, 08:59 AM
"Spoiler Alert; everyone dies."

The only reason that wouldn't work is because of Elan's prophecy. As stated by the Oracle, he is guaranteed a happy ending. I wouldn't call Elan dying anytime during the comic's lifespan a happy ending for him.

I really like that one about Xykon. What was it?
Oh yeah.
"You're in my way." Nifty idea, but it doesn't quite fulfill the prophecy either, does it? :smallfrown:

From what I've read, GSFB's post is the one that makes the most sense, even if it does seem bizarre (we have seen stranger things before).

Corwin Weber
2008-09-01, 02:32 AM

V will always have someone to harass with explosive runes.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-09-01, 02:45 AM
:belkar: uses a his/her in a conversation with V
:vaarsuvius: "I am a male (/ female)"

Laurentio II
2008-09-01, 02:56 AM
The only reason that wouldn't work is because of Elan's prophecy. As stated by the Oracle, he is guaranteed a happy ending. I wouldn't call Elan dying anytime during the comic's lifespan a happy ending for him.
You bet? Let's say that the party is about to be killed by a trap made by Nale. at the last moment, Nale has a redemption moment, tries to defuse his own trap but is killed by Sabine. The trap snap and kill all.
Elan goes to the Chaotic Good paradise, where found Nale. Happy end for him.

On the subject: :vaarsuvius: "This is my webcomic!" (Vaarsavius is the author secret character, so he has Author Powers in OotS universe)

Elanorea
2008-09-01, 04:08 AM
"Taste my lightning, sucker!"
Except instead of being defeated by two dudes with guitars, (s)he goes on to become ruler of the world. Or something.

Kompera
2008-09-01, 05:33 AM
Well, since we're all safely spoilered and everything, the four words are:

"Rosebud was his sled"

:smallbiggrin::smallcool::smallbiggrin::smallcool: :smallbiggrin::smallcool::smallbiggrin::smallcool: :smallbiggrin::smallcool::smallbiggrin::smallcool:

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-01, 11:28 PM
42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything
I thought everyone knew that

Err, no, it's the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Very significant difference.

Helgraf
2008-09-01, 11:33 PM
I have you now.

newcresty
2008-09-02, 01:09 AM
"Aeris dies. Spike too."

i get the first two words, not sure about the last two =/

MReav
2008-09-02, 01:12 AM
i get the first two words, not sure about the last two =/

Cowboy Bebop.

Nerdanel
2008-09-02, 09:44 AM
:vaarsuvius:: Empowered delayed blast fireball!!!

(Or some other four-word spell + metamagic combination.)

T-O-E
2008-09-02, 10:13 AM
You bet? Let's say that the party is about to be killed by a trap made by Nale. at the last moment, Nale has a redemption moment, tries to defuse his own trap but is killed by Sabine. The trap snap and kill all.
Elan goes to the Chaotic Good paradise, where found Nale. Happy end for him.

On the subject: :vaarsuvius: "This is my webcomic!" (Vaarsavius is the author secret character, so he has Author Powers in OotS universe)

But is he a Marty Stu or a Mary Stu?

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-09-02, 02:45 PM
:vaarsuvius: "I don't want it." :vaarsuvius:

silversaraph
2008-09-02, 03:28 PM
Hasta la vista, baby

SporeGames
2008-09-02, 03:52 PM

Great. Now that totally awesome ending (which rick was going to use anyway) will now be scrapped do to his own ego. Thanks alot pal. I wont say my idea becuse then Rick will remove it and he'll have to stick with some crap.

Kaytara
2008-09-03, 12:10 AM
But wouldn't a thread titled 'V's four words (spoiler for EVERYTHING)' be exactly the kind of thread Rich should know to avoid reading?

Dalenthas
2008-09-03, 01:03 AM
I'm a fan of "Help! I can't Spelunk!"

Vest Man!
2008-09-03, 11:04 AM
"Are you the key-master?"

Laurentio II
2008-09-03, 11:29 AM
But is he a Marty Stu or a Mary Stu?
If you ask me, he would be a Marty Sue. But due to Grandfather Clause, Vaarsuvius is a Mar[t*(-1)^-1]y Sue.

Kish
2008-09-03, 03:53 PM
The phrase that comes to my mind when I see this thread is, "A shockingly unlikely scenario."

(See War and XPs if you don't get it.)

nowiwantmydmg
2008-09-03, 08:55 PM
I like this one from another thread:

"Pass me the doily."

Kai Maera
2008-09-04, 01:38 AM
GIVE ME A WHOPPER!
Also supporting "the right four words"

Majorman
2008-09-04, 02:41 AM
"POWER! Ultimate Power! (Argh!)" followed by a Force Lightning.

And then s/he wrinkles just like Palpatine:smallsmile:

shadowpriest
2008-09-04, 05:14 AM
I love you, belkar! (gross!:smallyuk:)

FafnerMorell
2008-09-04, 03:18 PM
The right four words to the right being for all the wrong reasons:

I choose you, MitD!

Danukian
2008-09-05, 03:20 PM
With Belkar's impending death - the right four words, to the right person, for the wrong reason: "I Love you, Belkar!"

EDIT: Dang, I missed Shadowpriest posting the same idea! :smallredface:

Renx
2008-09-09, 09:55 AM
It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAND!

Flashlight
2008-09-09, 11:36 AM
"s**k my elven d***!!!" which, also solves the gender debate.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-09, 11:40 AM
The following just occurred to me: "I cast Control Tear"

Veneficus
2008-09-09, 06:04 PM
"Damn, No More Spells"

Studoku
2008-09-09, 06:17 PM
World's largest super collider?

Jarade
2008-09-09, 09:12 PM
You are overthinking this.... :smallbiggrin:

LuisDantas
2008-09-09, 09:42 PM
I just realized that I would like the four words to be

I SAY THEE NAY!

I can totally see Varsuuvius saying that to the right being (supposedly the Snarl, perhaps the Dark One, Xykon or even Redcloak) at the right time for all the wrong reasons (in effect, challenging it out of pride instead of more selfless reasons).

Taekwondodo
2008-09-10, 06:24 AM
i have to say i'm a fan of "It killed Belkar. NOOOOOOOOO!!!" though "The right four words at the right time to the right person for the wrong reasons" probably fits Rich's wit style better. :smallconfused:

I submit "bat guano, bat guano..." said in the same way as someone looking for their glasses.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-09-10, 06:49 AM
Err, no, it's the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Very significant difference.

'We want you to tell us the Answer!' 'The Answer?' said Deep Thought. 'The Answer to what?' 'Life!' urged Fook. 'The Universe!' said Lunkwill. 'Everything!' they said in chorus [trimmed] 'Life, the Universe, and Everything. There is an answer. But,' he added 'I'll have to think about it.'

Forty-two is the Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. Thank you very much.

Although if you flip to the actual answering:

'The Answer to the Great Question...' 'Yes...!' 'Of Life, the Universe and Everything...' 'Yes...!' 'Is...' 'Yes...!!!...?' 'Forty-two'
Here it's called the Great question.

And on the actual topic:
'I rolled a twenty'? Doesn't really fit all the criteria.
Clearly the four right words are 'The Four Right Words', and they will be said someplace in the middle of a longer speech. V may not even notice receiving the arcane power for several comics...

Kwarkpudding
2008-09-10, 10:52 AM
I like the "The right four words" theory :smallsmile:

Anyway, my guess is "I cast Hold Portal", since after it was mentioned in 178, it never showed up again. Surely it has to be used one day or another, so why not talking to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons? :smallsmile:

Niley
2008-09-10, 10:56 AM
"I AM A WOMAN!"

That would be a shock. And what if Giant introduced some new character who would be have a deep affection to V? Shock, I tell you...

Kaytara
2008-09-10, 03:37 PM
I like the "The right four words" theory :smallsmile:

Anyway, my guess is "I cast Hold Portal", since after it was mentioned in 178, it never showed up again. Surely it has to be used one day or another, so why not talking to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons? :smallsmile:

Something like "Vaarsuvius' Extended/Empowered Hold Portal" always seemed likely to me, mostly because it would be ironic. I always had a feeling that supposedly completely useless spell would play a critical role later on... A spell that holds portals closed for several dramatic minutes, against a creature that operates through rifts/gates/portals, during a climax when precious minutes are the story's main currency? Hell yes.

Threeshades
2008-09-10, 04:26 PM
:vaarsuvius: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!

Why can people never see the obvious.

Flickerdart
2008-09-10, 04:47 PM
:vaarsuvius: "I don't want it." :vaarsuvius:
I like that one. Simple, shocking, universal.

Haleyintraining
2008-09-10, 05:34 PM
No, it will be:

I lost my spork.

Eleshar
2008-09-10, 06:29 PM
"There is no spoon"

Belkarsbadside1
2008-09-10, 08:26 PM
I like this one from another thread:

"Pass me the doily."

It is that! it has to be. It has been proven.

"Know what? screw this" Followed by massive spell or of the like

Jorrath_Zek
2008-09-12, 01:13 PM
"I do not Know"...

"Want Fries with That?"..

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-12, 01:51 PM
Most likely doily is most likely.

Azuroth
2008-09-13, 01:05 PM
I told you so.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-13, 01:13 PM
I think we wont find out Vs words till the MitD needs to be killed

Kaihaku
2008-09-13, 07:05 PM
I told you so.

Yeah, after seeing #591 I think so too. It's getting set up.

Enlong
2008-09-13, 07:37 PM
Judging by a recent theory, the boat is going to end up taking the Order to the Elven Homelands. There, V will meet back up with his teacher, Aarindarius. The four words that lead to him gaining ultimate power? "I will stay here".

The right being: Aarindarius (who better to give V more arcane power then his teacher?)
The right place: Aarindarius' Ivory Tower (where A's books and magical items will be)
The right time: Vaarsuvius is now desperate enough now to abandon the Order if such an action would lead to him finding Haley
All the wrong reasons: As mentioned above abandoning the Order, for the sole purpose of locating one member of it. Especially when said Order member is alive and may soon be coming into the magic needed to contact them.

LuisDantas
2008-09-13, 07:41 PM
Fine speculation, Enlong.

Too bad that would give as less of Vaarsuvius, though. But I still like the idea somewhat.

Izad
2008-09-13, 09:02 PM
Belkar dies. Belkar is the cause of V's death (in a manner in keeping with the vagueness of the Oracle). Prophecies are made true. Everyone else is saved.

The oracle wasn't vague. The person Belkar kills is the Oracle, which he proceeds to do about two panels after the oracle tries to sell him on the idea that he's really responsible for Miko and/or Roy's death.

My guess for the words are either

"Please give me that" or
"Will you help me?"

Nathan W
2008-09-13, 09:08 PM
Big Brother is ungood.

Enlong
2008-09-13, 09:13 PM
The oracle wasn't vague. The person Belkar kills is the Oracle, which he proceeds to do about two panels after the oracle tries to sell him on the idea that he's really responsible for Miko and/or Roy's death.

Actually, Belkar cut him off just as he was going to make another sell.
"As for the elf-"

Vizen
2008-09-14, 04:20 AM
Out of Fudge Ripple (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)

Oh hang on. That would be the cause of Thog gaining arcane power. (Imagine that!)

As for V...I cant wait to see what the 4 words are. I expect lots of "OH MY GOD" reactions, including from me.

Fodland
2008-09-14, 05:58 AM
I bet it's "I told you so."
Look at the latest comic:
" V just passed up a perfect opport'nity ta say " I told ye so""......

GSFB
2008-09-15, 09:08 PM
"Thog, no rocket skates!"

to Thog: "It's puppy ice cream"

or "there are no sprinkles."

OK, you are wondering what Thog has to do with this? Simple. Thog will go into an uncontrollable rage, resulting in Thog Smash! Thog will smash something that unexpectedly releases ULTIMATE ARCANE POWER!

I am thinking a display case of some sort. A display case filled with doilies.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-16, 03:23 PM
Favorites in this thread:
Hand me my doily
I don't want it (this is my vote, I think)
The right four words
I am a <<gender>>
I told you so

You guys come up with all the good stuff!

Shosuro Ishii
2008-09-16, 04:03 PM
I told you so.

First thing I thought after reading that comic.

My first offical OoTS prediction: V's Four words will be 'I told you so'.

charl
2008-09-16, 04:45 PM
"I love you, Durkan."

:smallbiggrin:

GSFB
2008-09-16, 07:25 PM
"Please hold the mayo."

Just because I hate mayo.

Massy
2008-09-17, 05:22 AM
Brilliant! I figured it would be something like "Yes please, thank you."

Niknokitueu
2008-09-17, 05:28 AM
Up until Belkar activated his MoJ, I thought it would be along the lines of
"I must save Belkar"
or
"I love you Belkar"

Now I think it will be along the lines of
"Because I need to"

Or even possibly "I am a God?"

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu