PDA

View Full Version : Flying...?

paladinlady
2008-08-19, 02:22 AM
Apart from using a magic carpet... are there any other ways to fly ?:smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2008-08-19, 02:26 AM
In 4e? The Robe of Seven Winds.

In 3e? Wings of Flying.

There are also other, non-permanent things, but they spring to mind immediately.

mostlyharmful
2008-08-19, 02:27 AM
Well, there's some funky mushrooms growing in a hydroponiced closet round the courner from me but I assume you mean in DnD... :smallwink:

For 3.5 there's a few magic items, boots of flight and Cloak of Wings, and several spells such as Fly, Overland Flight, the Polymorph line and the best of them all Phantom Steed.

4.0 has mostly gotten rid of flying as a PC mechanic for balance issues so it's a high level only gig now.:smallfrown:

kaptainkrutch
2008-08-19, 05:07 AM
You can get a draconic or fiendish graft in 3.X.

Curmudgeon
2008-08-19, 05:38 AM
Some races, such as raptorians, have flight as a feature with enough racial HD. Some classes, such as Favored Souls, gain flight at certain levels.

Triaxx
2008-08-19, 06:23 AM
Don't forget that Warlock gains... Fell Flight?

Mastikator
2008-08-19, 06:28 AM
A mount that flies might also work.

Darrin
2008-08-19, 08:39 AM
Apart from using a magic carpet... are there any other ways to fly ?:smallsmile:

Items:

Winged Boots is the cheapest (16000 GP) but only works for 5 minutes, 3/day.

Broom of Flying is almost the same price (17000 GP) and works for up to 9 hours per day, but gives only a flight speed of 40' and average maneuverability.

Wings of Flying is the most expensive (54000 GP) but works on command with no limitations on uses per day.

Races:

Raptorans (Races of the Wild) I think are the only 0-level race that can fly, but they don't get it until they hit 5 hit dice.

Aarakocra and Kir-Lanan (Races of Faerun) can fly, but have level adjustments (+2 and +4, respectively).

Feats:

Any Dragonblood humanoid can take Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings to gain a fly speed of 30. Must be 6 HD to take the second feat.

Any outsider can take Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline and Outsider Wings to gain a fly speed equal to your land speed. Requires Fort/Ref/Will +2 saves.

A Dragonblood sorcerer can take Draconic Heritage and Draconic Flight to gain flying for one round after he casts any arcane spell (although it's not clear if you immediately start falling after that round is up or can cast another spell to keep flying).

Templates:

The Winged template (Savage Species, p. 137) can be applied to most creature types for a +2 LA.

However, the Half-Fey template (Fiend Folio, p. 89) has the same +2 LA and you get a lot more for it: better fly speed, stat bonuses, spell-like abilities, and charm person at will.

The easiest template to apply is Dragonborn of Bahumat (Races of the Dragon, p. 8). It can be applied to any humanoid with no LA and only costs 100 GP for the ritual. +2 Con, -2 Dex, although you lose most of your original racial characteristics, including bonus feats and bonus skill points. Also, if you pick the Wings aspect, an actual flight speed of 30 doesn't kick in until 6 HD, and the number of rounds you can fly is limited until you hit 12 HD.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-08-19, 08:52 AM
Since we're mentioning feats: Starspawn (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Starspawn,LoM) from Lords of Madness is a good'un.

Also Psicrown of the Evader item.

Charity
2008-08-19, 08:53 AM

OK this is about the 5th thread you have started this way, now please do not take this wrong but you really need to put more information in your first post.

1. the system is important when you are talking about specifics like 'how can I fly?', so you need to say which one you are talking about.
2. In D&D the level is often important, as some things that are difficult to achieve early on are trivial later in the characters career.
3. It is a good idea to explore the reason why you are asking the question, so folk can better hone their answers to meet your needs.
4. Ensure it is not a question that is so trivial it can easily be encompassed in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321) or this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87867)
5. profit

Burley
2008-08-19, 09:12 AM
So... Yeah... Harsh?

Anyways, Warlock. If you don't like the feel, Dragonfire Adept (Dragon Magic) is much like a Warlock, but...y'know... Dragony. They get slighly better Flight Invocations. One of which you can use to attack, I think. Who knows?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-19, 10:08 AM
Buy a wizard.

celestialkin
2008-08-19, 10:17 AM
Well, there's some funky mushrooms growing in a hydroponiced closet round the courner from me but I assume you mean in DnD... :smallwink:

For 3.5 there's a few magic items, boots of flight and Cloak of Wings, and several spells such as Fly, Overland Flight, the Polymorph line and the best of them all Phantom Steed.

4.0 has mostly gotten rid of flying as a PC mechanic for balance issues so it's a high level only gig now.:smallfrown:

Well, I'd say it's less about balance, and more about "simplification".

mostlyharmful
2008-08-19, 01:18 PM

I was trying to be polite

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-20, 08:45 AM

Nope, definitely balance. Flight is one of the most powerful abilities anywhere. There's a reason every 3.5 wizard casts fly at the start of combat (or overland flight beforehand) - you're now immune to 50-75 % of possible enemies. As a defensive ability, it's one of the best. As a way of fleeing combat or passing physical obstacles, it's the best. At level 10 or above, every 3.5 character had to have a way to fly, or they were screwed.

Knaight
2008-08-20, 09:08 AM
Although in and of itself its not that great against intelligent enemies, who are going to duck inside. If there is a high ceiling inside, then they have problems. Although it is great for escape.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-20, 09:31 AM
Although in and of itself its not that great against intelligent enemies, who are going to duck inside.

Assuming there's an "inside" available. Not a lot of houses in your average forest, mountain pass, battlefield, road, bridge... and so on. That, and you've already forced them to run away, and squeezed them into the same building. Now you just fireball or shatter or shout the roof...

Fly is pretty much the most powerful 3rd-level spell.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-20, 10:10 AM
Alter Self spell or potion.

Templates like the +2 LA Half Fey.

Getting carried by your Air Elemental or Flying Mount (Drakkensteed, Gryphon, Pegasus).

The Borne Aloft Reserve feat from Complete Mage. Edit One of the source books has a spell [ L2 ? ] that will extend the duration to hour/level.

xelliea
2008-08-27, 04:39 PM
yes mainly the fly spell

Prometheus
2008-08-27, 04:54 PM
Cloudwalk is a personal favorite for getting places.

chiasaur11
2008-08-27, 05:00 PM
How about Jetpacks?
Any rules for Jetpacks?

Tokiko Mima
2008-08-27, 05:24 PM
If you go to a high place and jump off, you can fly... in a parabolic downward arc. It's recommended in the case of some poorly optimized 3.5e classes, and can be touted as their greatest possible contribution to a group. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2008-08-27, 05:37 PM
How about Jetpacks?
Any rules for Jetpacks?

Only if you want to create the unholy amalgamation between SW d20 and D&D... (or play Spelljammer... I think...)

Curmudgeon
2008-08-27, 07:20 PM
Alter Self spell or potion. This doesn't work very well if you're playing a standard humanoid. Avariels are exclusive to Forgotten Realms settings. Raptorans don't get flight until they reach 5 HD, which means you can't get flight from the spell at Wizard levels 3-4. Plus they fly at 40' with only average maneuverability, vs. 60' and good maneuverability for Fly.

Now, if you're playing an outsider like an Aasimar, Alter Self is an excellent way of getting flight.

Ascension
2008-08-27, 08:17 PM
How about Jetpacks?
Any rules for Jetpacks?

I take it you missed the Decanters of Endless Water Jetpack thread?

Edea
2008-08-27, 08:19 PM
I take it you missed the Decanters of Endless Water Jetpack thread?

I loved that idea when I saw it, still do :D.

Jack_Simth
2008-08-27, 08:26 PM
A mount that flies might also work.
Oh, it very much works. The halfling Druid-4 with a Dire Bat animal companion does very well (Fly 40 (Good)). As the Halfling has access to Reduce Animal, he can even arrange to do this in Medium-sized areas.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-27, 08:44 PM
There are several feats that grant access to flight pretty early on in 3.5.

Quite a few of the "X heritage" feats have some manner of wings you can gain. Aberrant, fiendish, celestial, dragon. Don't know the starting level for these guys. but pretty early on if I remember them all.

Animal Devotion. You can fly (or do other neat stuff) for one minute 1/day, more if you've got Turn/rebuke attempts to blow..
Access at 1st level

Skin of the Construct. For the psionic characters. usable for 1 rd/manifester level. A shaper can gain access to flight with this feat at 1st level, any other psion can get it at 5th level by blowing another feat on Expanded Knowledge (astral construct). Psychic warriors can do the same trick at 6th.There's another feat, can't remember the name, extends Astral Construct duration to 1 min/level.

drengnikrafe
2008-08-27, 09:30 PM
"flying", in this case, is a term I'm going to use very loosely, because almost every idea has already been come up with, so I have to go to extremes.

Simply cast the Epic Spell "Nailed to the Sky" on yourself. Your feet are no longer touching the ground...

Use Immovable Rods (I think that's what they're called), and you can climb up to a point where there should be no climbing possible in such a way that gives the illusions, and a benifit (being out of the way of things that can't jump very high) of flight.

Vexxation
2008-08-27, 09:45 PM
Wings of Flying is the most expensive (54000 GP) but works on command with no limitations on uses per day.

Raptorans (Races of the Wild) I think are the only 0-level race that can fly, but they don't get it until they hit 5 hit dice.

Any Dragonblood humanoid can take Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings to gain a fly speed of 30. Must be 6 HD to take the second feat.

The Winged template (Savage Species, p. 137) can be applied to most creature types for a +2 LA.

However, the Half-Fey template (Fiend Folio, p. 89) has the same +2 LA and you get a lot more for it: better fly speed, stat bonuses, spell-like abilities, and charm person at will.

Hm.. A Winged Half-fey Dragonblooded Raptoran wearing Wings of Flying....

Oh, the image is beautiful.
Even if it couldn't/can't be done, it's just cool.

Ascension
2008-08-27, 09:50 PM
Hm.. A Winged Half-fey Dragonblooded Raptoran wearing Wings of Flying....

Oh, the image is beautiful.
Even if it couldn't/can't be done, it's just cool.

Don't forget to make him/her a 17th level or higher Favored Soul for another set of wings.

only1doug
2008-08-28, 05:27 AM
Items:
<snip>

Feats:

<snip>

MUST take the first feat at L1 (can't be taken later)

Edit: Unless you are a Kobold and Take Dragon-Wrought Kobold at L1, then it MUST be taken at L3 (can't be taken later)

xelliea
2008-08-28, 06:30 AM
just teleport to where you want to go

mabriss lethe
2008-08-28, 11:32 PM
just teleport to where you want to go

got to have a target surface capable of supporting you to teleport, IIRC.