PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Gym. (pronounced "Guy-m")

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-19, 10:35 AM
So I was going to he gym one day, and I decided to use the treadmill for a while. The olympics were on, so I decided to have the TV tuned to NBC so I could get some inspiration from the world's greatest athletes.

As I continued to run in place, something went horribly wrong.

"Hey, Why's the TV screen getting smaller?"

And then it hit me. More accurately, I hit the floor.

What are your experiences at the gym?

Player_Zero
2008-08-19, 10:39 AM
Guym?

What the heck is a guym?

...Ohhhhh... A guyyym.

But yeah, I don't go. Doing pressups at 2am listening to jpop is the way to go for crazies like me.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-19, 10:41 AM
Elliptical for 30 minutes, then various weight machines. Sometimes the recumbent bike.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-19, 11:12 AM
I don't go to the gym.

I do sit ups and push ups and such in front of the tv, so my parents can't say I'm lazing off all day in front of the tv...

Zeful
2008-08-19, 11:26 AM
So I was going to he gym one day, and I decided to use the treadmill for a while. The olympics were on, so I decided to have the TV tuned to NBC so I could get some inspiration from the world's greatest athletes.

As I continued to run in place, something went horribly wrong.

"Hey, Why's the TV screen getting smaller?"

And then it hit me. More accurately, I hit the floor.

What are your experiences at the gym?

That happened to me. I was on the treadmill and everyone wanted to see how fast I could go. They managed to get it up to setting 12 before I was grabbing the rails trying to get off. My hands slip and I hit the treadmill before being thrown off. It was a good thing I had so much adrenaline in my system because I was pretty sure I could see the bone in my pinky.

Totally Guy
2008-08-19, 11:44 AM
I like the treadmill best out of everything there.

For half an hour I can set the machine to 9.5km/h and I get to just less than 5km including a 5 minute cooldown. Last time I did that I kind of hurt myself so I'm avoiding that for the moment.

No I set the machine for 1 hour and and set the speed at 7.7km/h. Then with the cooldown I get above the 8km mark.

But I went to the gym yesterday and found a big sign upon their locked gates. "Closed by the fire service" their website says drainage problem.

Although I've been going for a few months mty goals aren't getting accomplished:smallannoyed:. I've not made any new friends or found people to talk to. The only place people aren't wearing their damned headphones is the steam room and I've only seen girls in there twice in nearly 5 months.:smallmad: It's called a health club for a reason, what's the point of a club if you know nobody's names after 5 months?!:smallfurious:

Where can I go where I can talk to somebody?

TRM
2008-08-19, 11:45 AM
Do they have these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_rower) at the gym?

I've never actually been to a gym to work out. I've never understood how you could run on a treadmill without going insane, when you could instead go out running through the city/wherever and watch the world go by. <-- Is much more exciting.

I don't go to the gym.

I do sit ups and push ups and such in front of the tv, so my parents can't say I'm lazing off all day in front of the tv...
Ever heard of Fit Deck (http://www.fitdeck.com/fit/index.htm)? I used this for a long while ... before, it's good fun and has good ideas too for exercise ideas.

Totally Guy
2008-08-19, 11:58 AM

I've never understood how you could run on a treadmill without going insane, when you could instead go out running through the city/wherever and watch the world go by. <-- Is much more exciting.

I also like the rowing machine. I do 2km on that.

I find the treadmill a bit mixed. It's good because you can run next to somebody that's going at a completely different speed. But the downside is that the person probably won't talk to you. It's good because you can see how far you've gone and it keeps you at a set pace. But it's bad because it might not represent reaf world activity what with rough surfaces and wind resistance to consider.

reorith
2008-08-19, 11:59 AM
lol. going to a gym. i just adopted a cat with feline leukemia and took it to a bunch of vets that prescribed preloaded syringes with anabolic steroids. when i was done, i released the cat back into the wild. and now i'm riiiiippped. have fun with your elliptical running indoor rowing floor hitting.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-19, 12:03 PM
I'm going to have to start going to the gym fairly regularly at school. 2 of my classes are in buildings right next to the gym, I should just go.
Then maybe I'll fly to mars and watch a boxing match between Sean Connery and Jesus.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-19, 01:04 PM

I don't really need to go to a Gym for one of those. My aunt rows regularly down the Potomac River, and she's got an indoor rowing machine in her house.

DraPrime
2008-08-19, 01:08 PM
I don't go to the gym. I just ride my bike all over the place. And since the Boston area seems to be filled with hills it's always quite a workout. The only flat road for biking is placed on land that was flattened with dynamite.

evisiron
2008-08-19, 01:34 PM
I used to go to the gym before leaving the country for a year. It was good, but not much fun. I prefer sports and the like for exercise. The best of all though has to be LARP. Nothing gets the blood flowing like chasing/running away from a bunch of angry orcs! :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-19, 01:36 PM
I've never really boon; I tend to get about 50 minutes of walking in everyday, but I'll spend 30 minutes at around 11 M/PH on my exercise bike if it's raining. I may learn how to swim at university, though, and I'm planning on learning a martial art as well, so I may do things in the gym as well (I don't really like the idea of having a lot of muscle mass, so I'd stick with cardio).

Gem Flower
2008-08-19, 01:39 PM
*sigh* I can't legally go to a gym. Under 16.

Shikton
2008-08-19, 02:00 PM
Eh, used to go. Got really bored after a few months. I'd rather play football (the kind where you KICK the ball) or do martial arts. Like...capoeira. That's a lot of fun. I miss that..

But yeah, my favourite thing in the gym ended up being the treadmill, which is stupid, because I might as well go running outside and not pay a monthly fee for it =P Rowing is also pretty nice. Good upper body workout.

Wraithy
2008-08-19, 02:18 PM
Loads of my friends go to gyms, but I just don't see the attraction.
Then again learning Taekwondo probably counts as a similar activity
(GTI ftw! WTF ftl!)

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-19, 02:20 PM
I tried Aikido once, but I wasn;t very good at it (a lot of the techniques were hard for me to remember, and they made me dizzy). I'm hoping that a strike-based style would work better. Which striking MA would work best for someone witha light build who's quite fast?

Wraithy
2008-08-19, 02:44 PM
Taekwondo is an excellent style for striking if you're good with your feet.
It really depends on the reason you're doing martial arts, if its just for sport then thhe most common form of Taekwondo (the kind used in the Olympics) is good. But if you want to learn an actual martial art then just looking around at local sports centres is a good idea.

The style of Taekwando used in the Olympics is basically allot of jumping around on one leg and leaning backwards, ignore it if you can.

You might want to check out specific striking styles on Wikipedia, I couldn't find a specific menu to them, but if you look at the bottom of this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo) you should find links to the other striking martial arts.

Spiryt
2008-08-19, 02:49 PM
I tried Aikido once, but I wasn;t very good at it (a lot of the techniques were hard for me to remember, and they made me dizzy). I'm hoping that a strike-based style would work better. Which striking MA would work best for someone witha light build who's quite fast?

Well, as far as I know striking styles aren't really good for light people. Mass gives power.

At least where ever I read about it, grappling is recomended for lighter people.

Myself, I'm 150 -155 pounds, and few times when I was in actual brawl, I kinda naturally go into close quarters ( I could be actually even lighter). Tried minimal amount of karate and never liked it.

Jujutsu is generally considered awesome, and it has some punching techniques as far as I know.

About striking, I always heard that boxing is nice, beacuse it focus just on striking hard.
Also muay thai - rather light guys (thai, originaly) can kick really hard.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-19, 02:54 PM
*sigh* I can't legally go to a gym. Under 16.
Where do you live? :smallconfused: Because that strikes me as a strange law....

I'm small, good weight.
I use it. Always when some of my older friends 'fight' with me, its a draw or I win.

I'm to slipery and other stuff apparently.:smallamused:

LightWraith
2008-08-19, 02:58 PM
I swim at my University's pool all the time. They have stationary bikes and treadmills too, but I probably won't use those unless it's raining heavily outside.

Among Triathletes (and I would imagine among pure runners as well), treadmills are often referred to as "dreadmills"... they just aren't the same as running outside.

I will probably start using the weight equipment this semester. While I don't need to put on much extra weight (even in muscle), I need to be a bit stronger than I am for when I need to hammer some hills.

Jack Squat
2008-08-19, 03:20 PM
I don't see the problem with treadmills. I personally find them better than running around a track; at least you can have something to see besides pavement and a football field. Now, I would rather run a trail/neighborhood than be on a treadmill unless it's bad weather.

Most of the time when I do go to the gym (not often anymore), I normally do a little bit on the treadmill, and then use the weight machines or do a group fitness class - Either Body Pump or Body Combat, then mess around with my brothers on the indoor soccer field.

Pwenet
2008-08-19, 03:36 PM
I go to the gym regularly. In fact by coincidence I'm killing time before a session I have with a trainer there.

I'm personally mixed about treadmills. For the longest time I had NASTY shin splits and even the treadmill would set them off. What I started doing instead are Elliptical Trainers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer). No impact which was good plus it helped with the upper body. Usually I will do a 1/2 hour on the trainer and then do another 30-45 minutes of weight, either machines or straight weights. Currently my goal is weight loss and toning (dropped probably 60 lbs over 2 years) so I'm not focusing much, and so far it seems to be working pretty decently.

Oh yes - My gym also has These Nifty Toys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_rower)

de-trick
2008-08-19, 03:45 PM
never went to a professional gym, but at school i remember once, we were trying out a new machine to work your pecs out(i forgot what you call it) and i thought to my self well i can do like 14plates(close to 200pds) of the mechanical benchpress so i put on a 45pd, on both sides and had a couple of tens on it, then i go to do it, well i could do it, but wasn't a fluid motion, then my gym teacher comes along and even he has a problem doing that much

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-19, 11:06 PM
I used to be pretty religious about working out in high school, doing weights and 5k runs almost every day, although I got lazy after I graduated. Now I don't do anything... And I'm hating how I look.

Start bashing me.... now.

Shikton
2008-08-20, 12:35 AM
If Aikido wasn't your thing, Tempest Fennac, I'm sure there are other styles out there that would fit you. Kickboxing could be one. A more kind version of Muay Thai. I wouldn't recommend Muay Thai unless you're ready for some knees and elbows during sparring, or even low kicks. They can be nasty =P

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I wouldn't mind trying kickboxing, but I don't think Wolverhampton University has a club that does that. I'm only really interrested in compeating (I only really need it for self-defence, and I wouldn't want to risk hurting someone needlessly in a competition).

skywalker
2008-08-20, 10:22 AM
I'm personally mixed about treadmills. For the longest time I had NASTY shin splits and even the treadmill would set them off.

To my knowledge, treadmills eff up your ankles/shins worse than pavement... and are the only things which do so... Tracks are good because they're specifically designed to be run on... but the best is just dirt, grass, etc.

Tempest I was gonna say just make your hands little hammers, I know lots of little guys who I definitely would not want to be punched by, but you specifically don't want to hurt someone so some grappling like Judo or Jujutsu would probably suit you but you also didn't like Aikido and there's a lot of spinning in the Ju-arts too...

I don't think competition exists in kick-boxing, tho. It's hard to have competition in striking arts for the exact reason that it is easy to hurt someone...

Castaras
2008-08-20, 10:25 AM
The Karate I used to do had quite a bit of competition. There was some ju-jutsu ground wrestling stuff *looks at her gold, silver, and bronze medals for it*; some sparring - aka, paired up with another person, but not hitting them. Just doing the moves, and stopping them just before you hit them. (never was that good at it); and "kata" - a set series of movements that you had to do *looks at her silver and bronze medals for that*.

=)

And on that pronunciation in that title...Guy-m? Gyme? :smallconfused: Isn't it like Jim?

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 10:29 AM
How good was the karate you did for self-defence, Castaras? I'm not really a small person, Skywalker; I'm 5'11, 160 Lbs, but I'm just really weak (I'd estimate my D&D stats to be Str 7, Dex and Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8 and Cha 12). Those grappling ones wouldn't work for me (I don't really like getting close to potential threats either).

Castaras
2008-08-20, 10:32 AM
I'm not that strong either. The only reason I got medals for the ground wrestling was because I used technique (int and dex) to stay alive. Strength beat me alot though. And the ground wrestling wasn't technically karate. But our teacher taught us it anyway, because he said that most fights will end up on the ground, and ju-jutsu is best for that.

But Karate is about technique, not strength. Strength comes with practise, once the technique is right.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 10:36 AM
Thanks for explaining. (I can see your teacher's point.) My basic stratergy in a fight would probably revolve around dislocating my attacker's arm or shoulder as quickly as possible while aiming quick attacks at their chakras to be honest (technique doesn't suit me that well:smalltongue:).

skywalker
2008-08-20, 11:45 AM
I'm not that strong either. The only reason I got medals for the ground wrestling was because I used technique (int and dex) to stay alive. Strength beat me alot though. And the ground wrestling wasn't technically karate. But our teacher taught us it anyway, because he said that most fights will end up on the ground, and ju-jutsu is best for that.

But Karate is about technique, not strength. Strength comes with practise, once the technique is right.

I read an article recently that indicated that in most fights, one person ends up on the ground. And that person frequently loses.

In fact, I just found the article (http://jiujitsu365.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/do-most-fights-go-to-the-ground-research-i-conducted/). 72% of fights wind up with one person on the ground. 42% end with both on the ground. A significant percentage, but not a majority. Further, the first(or only) person to leave their feet lost 59% of the time, and "drew" another 33% of the time, fighters who hit the ground first(no matter whether they initiated a takedown or not, etc.) won less than 5% of the time :smalleek:

What surprised me most was that when someone wound up on the ground, 35%(!) of the time, it was due to being punched. Only one person in 300 fights went down to a kick, altho they were KO'd. Not good news for a kicker like me.

[/karategeek]

Judo and Jujutsu can both teach you how to dislocate someone's arm really easy... Does attacking chakras really work?

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 12:29 PM
A lot of the chakras are located in relatively fragile places (especially the throat, solar plexus and base chakras). I'm assuming that disrupting them could be dangerous due to how the chakras are energy centers. Those stats sound worrying (especially since I'm more likely to end up with stronger legs then anything else due to only wanting to do cardio-type things).

Spiryt
2008-08-20, 12:52 PM
Yes, the MMA and actual, street shows fight that if one person is really good at only in striking, and the second one is good only in grappling, the striker would loose in most fights.

Here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wmZmrIFvf4I) is quite famous first UFC championship, where Royce Gracie defeats more striking enemies (who are notably larger than him) without big problems and rather quickly.

And from what I heard classic "high" KO kicking is rare, beacuse unless you really know right moment to kick, it will be fatal to you. Beacuse enemy will trip you/do anything else making use of your raised leg.

If you're planning self defense, I heard that BJJ + boxing combo is good - you can do all typical graple fight, but you can punch solidly also.

skywalker
2008-08-20, 01:05 PM
Yes, the MMA and actual, street shows fight that if one person is really good at only in striking, and the second one is good only in grappling, the striker would loose in most fights.

Here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wmZmrIFvf4I) is quite famous first UFC championship, where Royce Gracie defeats more striking enemies (who are notably larger than him) without big problems and rather quickly.

And from what I heard classic "high" KO kicking is rare, beacuse unless you really know right moment to kick, it will be fatal to you. Beacuse enemy will trip you/do anything else making use of your raised leg.

If you're planning self defense, I heard that BJJ + boxing combo is good - you can do all typical graple fight, but you can punch solidly also.

I love that Gracie video :smallbiggrin: I was just about to say this, tho, that it's actual fights that those stats apply to. How many fights are you planning on getting into? Tempest was talking about competing, and we wound up talking about fighting :smallbiggrin:

Ooh, Wushu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushu_(sport)) is a competitive martial sport with, to my understanding, very little grappling or spinning :smallcool:

Spiryt
2008-08-20, 01:08 PM
I love that Gracie video :smallbiggrin: I was just about to say this, tho, that it's actual fights that those stats apply to. How many fights are you planning on getting into? Tempest was talking about competing, and we wound up talking about fighting :smallbiggrin:

Ooh, Wushu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushu_(sport)) is a competitive martial sport with, to my understanding, very little grappling or spinning :smallcool:

Damn, I though he was talking about self defense on street or something. My bad.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 01:11 PM
I was talking about defence (I said I didn;t have any interest in compeating). I don't think Wu shu would really suit me (I'm not that graceful; the high Dex stat is due to me being able to move quickly and precisely while having a good aim in light-gun games).

Spiryt
2008-08-20, 01:18 PM
Still, 14 is good stat. If you think you can move that fast, it certainly would be handy.

EDIT: Although the truth is that translating real abilities into D&D stats in pointless. It simply doesn't work.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-20, 01:21 PM
I like to do things quickly while walking fast (I prefer walking to using my exercise bike, but I've put on a small amout of weight lately, so I should probably use the bike more).

skywalker
2008-08-20, 05:20 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass(I promise) but these two don't add up:

I'm only really interrested in compeating (I only really need it for self-defence, and I wouldn't want to risk hurting someone needlessly in a competition).

I was talking about defence (I said I didn;t have any interest in compeating). I don't think Wu shu would really suit me (I'm not that graceful; the high Dex stat is due to me being able to move quickly and precisely while having a good aim in light-gun games).

I thought the first post said "I don't really need it for self-defense." Sorry.

Supposedly INT is IQ/10. Which is entirely possible... Although, a guy with a 6 INT probably functions better than someone with a 60 IQ. Then again, it gets hard to role-play people at those extremes and still have fun with the game. *shrug*

Let's see how much further we can derail this thread :smallcool:

Spiryt
2008-08-20, 05:33 PM
Supposedly INT is IQ/10. Which is entirely possible... Although, a guy with a 6 INT probably functions better than someone with a 60 IQ. Then again, it gets hard to role-play people at those extremes and still have fun with the game. *shrug*

Let's see how much further we can derail this thread :smallcool:

Yes, that's why someone came up with better formula, making it that 11 (if I remember correctly) was still 100, but 3 was about 60 (someone retarded, but still human, not a vegetable with 30 IQ) and 18 was about 150 (genius, but some supermind with 180).

Off topic is my second name!

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-20, 09:03 PM
I did Muay Thai for about 3 years... It was really fun although having 8 dex sucked in the long run - I broke my kneecap when I went to block a low kick with my right leg and tripped on my left.

If you don't have 8 dex and you can actually walk a straight line without hitting 3 parked cars and a corner though, it's really fun.

PS: IQ as it's currently measured says nothing about a person's intelligence per se. It measures a person's ability to solve analogies, patterns and imagine 3d figures in his head.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-21, 12:48 AM
I'm really sorry about that (I meant to say I'm not really interrested; my typing is often awful). I tend to think that 10 Int = 100 IQ and that 5 IQ points = 1 Int point (there were a couple of more complicated methods which were suggested on one "stat yourself" thread, but I got an Int of 16 according to those as well*).

Getting back on topic, apart from (in theory) practicing martial arts, is there anything else that can improve Dex? I'm guessing that step-ups would help to a degree.

*Please could you tell me if you remember the rest of that forumla, Spiryt?

Nychta
2008-08-21, 01:34 AM
I liked the treadmills. Though I fell off them when I got tired :smallredface:

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-21, 01:35 AM
I tried using one once, and I thought it was odd (I prefer exercise bikes; I don't like the idea of falling off a treadmill).

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 06:32 AM
Getting back on topic, apart from (in theory) practicing martial arts, is there anything else that can improve Dex? I'm guessing that step-ups would help to a degree.

*Please could you tell me if you remember the rest of that forumla, Spiryt?

So you have 130 IQ then? Nice.

Anyway I have no idea how this formula was going.

And, as I said, depends what you mean by "Dex". In D&D bloody lot of things is squished under this ability.

Both gymnastic and gun shooting are under it.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-21, 06:35 AM
That is a good point. I was mainly thinking about the movement side of it due to Don mentionng being clumsy.

Crow
2008-08-22, 09:49 PM
That is a good point. I was mainly thinking about the movement side of it due to Don mentionng being clumsy.

Do exercises that require power and balance. Overhead squats, thrusters, cleans/power/hang cleans, snatch/power/hang snatch, jerk, push-jerk, clean & jerk.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-08-22, 09:55 PM
I'm on an elliptical for 40-45 minutes when I lift afterwards, and 55-60 minutes when I don't lift. I usually do 5 minutes on a bike to cool down after the elliptical, before lifting. I usually work out three days a week, two of which I lift (one for upper body, and one for lower body).

Destichado
2008-08-23, 05:22 PM
I used to go to the gym and pump iron, but these days bulking up doesn't fit well with the job I'm applying for. So now I'm running about fifteen miles per week, and cranking out the pullups, pushups, crunches and other various core-fitness exercises.

Meh. It gives a different kind of buff.

When I was pumping iron, I inflated very nicely. These days I'm not much smaller, but I look a lot tighter and more defined, and while I'm not benching 200 anymore, my endurance has gone through the roof. Good stuff.

Xeluu
2008-08-24, 09:07 PM
I've just recently started going to a gym.

I don't do much there, since I've never had the stamina to be active for very long, so my recent work outs usually go something like...

10-20 minutes on a treadmill.
10 Minutes on an elliptical.
10 Minutes on a bike.

And then occasionally a little bit of weights work.

All I'm doing is focusing on my legs right now, an general weight loss.

Seems to be working well enough, and I'm looking forward to building up my workout from there. (x_x Bleh, need more stamina.)

Sneak
2008-08-24, 09:13 PM
I've tried to run on a treadmill. The longest I can go for is about 30 minutes before I get bored, and that's only when someone is there for me to talk to while I run.

I've used bikes in the gym too, but I just don't see why you wouldn't ride a real bike instead.

So, I've come to the conclusion that running and biking > treadmill running and gym biking.

Crow
2008-08-24, 09:28 PM
I've just recently started going to a gym.

I don't do much there, since I've never had the stamina to be active for very long, so my recent work outs usually go something like...

10-20 minutes on a treadmill.
10 Minutes on an elliptical.
10 Minutes on a bike.

And then occasionally a little bit of weights work.

All I'm doing is focusing on my legs right now, an general weight loss.

Seems to be working well enough, and I'm looking forward to building up my workout from there. (x_x Bleh, need more stamina.)

Just add 1 minute to each exercise every day you go in.

Arameus
2008-08-24, 10:22 PM
Got a guym story for you all:

So I was in this guym. Well, exercise room at a hotel. But whatever. And I had these dog tags on. (I know, lame.) I figured I'f go on the treadmill for a while while watching the tube, nothing strenuous, just a good jog before bed. Now, after about five minutes those damn dogtags got the best of me with their constant slapping around and making a racket. So, rather than break my stride and stop to take them off (you have to undo the chain, I can't fit it over my head), I simply began to try and run in such a manner that I didn't agitate the dogtags so they wouldn't jangle. I jogged like that for another twenty five minutes or so, never again jangling the tags. So I finish, I get off and as soon as I get into the hall I notice something just seems seriously wrong with the world. Nothing looks right. Nothing feels right. It wasn't like vertigo, it was like some bizarre anti-vertigo, then it hit me: my body had zero vertical movement when I moved.

See, running on the treadmill like that, I had temporarily rewired my body to move absolutely seamlessly gliding with no bob to my head, shoulders, or indeed any part of my body above the waist. Since that bob is something your body learns to accept from the time you learn to walk, it threw my entire perception while moving out of whack. It was extremely unnatural, but pretty cool at the same time. I can only really compare it to old-school FPS games that have no head bob, where your camera just glides along at an exact level.

Well, that wore off after a few minutes, but for the time it lasted I was seriously intrigued by it. I can't help but think: what if I never stopped moving like that? It's remarkably efficient, it looks and feels so graceful, with no shock to any part of your body above the waist, no waste motion, not a myofibril out of place in your whole body. The natural bob of the head and shoulders is not only something we accustom ourselves to, but it is something we observe and adapt to seeing in others to the point where it becomes unnoticeable unless you actively look for it. Someone who glided like that would inevitably appear unnatural to the people around them as well, machine-like or inhuman at minimum.

But the neat thing is that if you have a place to jog, half an hour to kill, and something easily agitated to use as a pendant, you can put yourself through this. Try it at home, see if you get the results I did.

Xeluu
2008-08-25, 12:34 AM
Just add 1 minute to each exercise every day you go in.

Good idea. XD I wasn't even thinking about doing something that simple, but I'm sure it'd definitely work.

I've tried to run on a treadmill. The longest I can go for is about 30 minutes before I get bored, and that's only when someone is there for me to talk to while I run.

I've used bikes in the gym too, but I just don't see why you wouldn't ride a real bike instead.

So, I've come to the conclusion that running and biking > treadmill running and gym biking.

I actually prefer the gym to going out to run or bike. The reason: I feel more motivated to actually work out and what not when I actually go to the gym.

For me, it's kinda like... if I go to the gym, I'm going for the sole purpose of working out, so I'm more focused on what I'm doing; whereas if I'm just out biking or jogging/running/etc, I'm more inclined to just glide along and not really work as hard.

Does that make any sense? I'm kinda outta it today, haven't gotten enough sleep.

Crow
2008-08-25, 01:52 AM
I actually prefer the gym to going out to run or bike. The reason: I feel more motivated to actually work out and what not when I actually go to the gym.

For me, it's kinda like... if I go to the gym, I'm going for the sole purpose of working out, so I'm more focused on what I'm doing; whereas if I'm just out biking or jogging/running/etc, I'm more inclined to just glide along and not really work as hard.

Does that make any sense? I'm kinda outta it today, haven't gotten enough sleep.

As long as you feel good after you do it, then you are doing it right :smallwink: I am more like Sneak. I get bored to tears on a treadmill.

Xeluu
2008-08-25, 02:14 AM
As long as you feel good after you do it, then you are doing it right :smallwink: I am more like Sneak. I get bored to tears on a treadmill.

*nods* Makes perfect sense to me. I just kinda let my mind wander off while I listen to my music on the treadmill. Works for me, but I can totally see why it doesn't work at all for others.

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 07:36 AM
For all those who get bored with Gym workouts, I have a simple solution made of four words:

Go. Climb. A. Rock.

Seriously, I have yet to see any kind of sports that gets you into shape in less time and/or with more fun. Builds every muscle except for the neck (and that's what headbanging is for :smallbiggrin:) and gives you a great sense of accomplishment early on.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 07:38 AM
That sounds like an interresting idea. Is it expensive, though? Also, are you talking about using an artificial wall or using normal rocks? (Also, how dangeous is natural rock climbing?)

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 08:06 AM
It's not that expensive.
Natural rock climbing is basically free after you got yourself the base equipment plus rope and friends. My estimate for a beginners kit is around 200 euros (~ 300 US$, if I remember correctly), and the equip lasts for at least 4 years.
Artificial climbing has lower equipment costs, as you don't need a rope and friends, so you should be fine with about 140 euros (~ 210 US$), but the fees they take can be pretty hefty. Here in good ol' Krautland you pay around 10 euros per day, if you don't get yourself an abonnement.

As for what to try: I would start with artificial rock climbing. It's safer and helps you feel more comfortable with the height and the procedures.
Natural rock climbing isn't less safe in and on itself, it depends on what risks you take. If you climb routes that are secured crappy, then of course it's a deathtrap. But the same goes for everything.
Only difference is that for rock climbing you have to know some more techniques, which I recommend you get to know in some climbing centre beforehand.

dish
2008-08-25, 08:20 AM
Tempest: Your university will definitely have a rock climbing society, which means they'll provide the equipment (and the friends).

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 08:21 AM
I haven't checked Wolverhampton Universities website for one of those to be honest (I'm more interrested in learning a martial art, but I may look into that thanks). Is vertigo a problem here? (I don't like heights.)

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 08:27 AM
To clear up any confusion: By friends I meant these little things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-loaded_camming_device
And what I originally meant was [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickdraw[/url]. Sorry, didn't know what they were called in English.

And for the vertigo: Well, if heights are a problem, you could always go bouldering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouldering).

But as far as I have experienced, vertigo ain't an issue. Granted, at first you have to go slowly, but after a while you will be "cured" of your vertigo, if you keep climbing.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 08:38 AM
Bouldering sounds interresting (curing myself of vertigo would be good, though). Are climbing shoes expensive, though? (I can't really afford to spend money on things that I don't really need.)

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 08:42 AM
First of all: You'll NEED climbing shoes. You will hate them, because they are painful to wear, but in order to do harder climbs, you'll need them. And they're not that expensive. I buy a new pair every 6-9 months or so for about 50 euros, but as far as I'm aware, they're even cheaper in the UK.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 08:43 AM
Thanks (that sounds a lot more expensive then the shoes I normally buy). I take it that going barefoot would just cause me other problems, right?

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 08:56 AM
Barefoot ain't that good, yes. You see, climbing shoes cram your toes so closely together that they get stability you'd never achieve with pure toe muscles. That's what lets you get a hold on very tiny edges that would cut your toes if you tried to stand on them barefoot. But the price generally is justified. My 6 to 9 months estimate would be if you climbed as much as I do, which is 4 to 6 days a week with 3 to 5 hours a day. If you climb less, the shoe'll last longer.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the advice (to be fair, my feet are quite tender anyway, but I hate shoe-shopping, so it's awkward.:smallfrown:) Would this sort of climbing make me out on weight in the form of muscle, or would it just replace fat whith muscle while keeping my weight the same assumng I do it a couple of times a week? (I don't want to get any heavier then I already am).

Whoracle
2008-08-25, 09:15 AM
At first you'll loose some weight, as your body burns the fat, if there is any. If not, then you'll just get VERY hungry ^^
Afterwards, when the msucles build, you'll gain weight again, but depending on what kind of climbs you do not as much as you had before. If you don't want to get heavier than now, you'd better not get into overhanging and ceiling territory, as that tends to give you shoulders and arms.

For a more graphical comparison:
Me/my back when I started climbing

http://home.arcor.de/sdsgilde/test/3.jpg

and me/my back about half a year ago, on an overhanging part, after training 4 months for ceilings

http://home.arcor.de/sdsgilde/test/ruecken.jpg

Right now I'm on fingertraining. Made my first pull-up with my two pinky fingers yesterday *yay*

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 09:29 AM
Thanks. I have some chest and stomach fat at the minute (I wanted to have some due to knowing that it acts as a shock absorber, though).

black_Lizzard
2008-08-25, 09:32 AM
I used to go to the gym. My biggest struggle was boredom, lifting weights makes me sleepy, and i hate running. Also, whenever I try to come up with a good reason "why" I'm going, I can never think of one. I'm strong enough already, (seriously, what am i really going to use strength for other than moving heavy objects, and how often does anyone do that) I don't need to lose weight: I'm 5'1" and ~145 lbs, and I'm a lot more likely to attract women if i get a decent personality anyway.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-25, 09:38 AM
That sounds like an interresting idea. Is it expensive, though? Also, are you talking about using an artificial wall or using normal rocks? (Also, how dangeous is natural rock climbing?)

Natural rock climbing is only ridiculously expensive if you live far from the mountains. The amount of equipment needed depends on the type of mountain you're climbing, usually.

I climbed a quarter of the way up Chimney Rock (the one from Close Encounters of the Third Kind) with no special equipment, during my trip across the country to Yellowstone.

dish
2008-08-25, 11:33 AM
I pay a personal trainer to force me to do stuff in the gym, because if I didn't, I wouldn't.

I warm up for about 10 mins on the elliptical thingy. Then my trainer makes me do stuff with weights and machines, as well as various squats and crunches. Then I do 30-40 mins of cardio on the bike. Finally the trainer forces me to stretch an awful lot more than I'd do if I was on my own.
After that I sometimes go for a swim in the pool. They've got a rather nice one.

I DO ride my bike around town - it's one of my main modes of transport - but riding in a very flat city at the normal speed of traffic does not give me anything like the cardio work-out I need.

I haven't done many silly things in the gym - mainly because my trainer is usually watching me and will rescue me before I screw up. But I did once fall off the (I don't know what it's called) machine-you-sit-on-and-squeeze-two-pads-together-with-your-knees/thighs. I didn't realise that there was a pin you could use to adjust the width of the pads, so I tried to get off when they were opened up wide, slipped, caught my trouser cuff in the pin I should have used, and ended up on my back on the floor. The look from my trainer was this panicked mix of 'OMG my client just hurt herself and I'm responsible' with 'How on earth did the clutz manage to do that?'