PDA

View Full Version : Keyboardists itp

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 12:42 PM
I'd like some opinions: which of these keyboards would be worth purchasing?
Korg R3
Korg Kaosilator
Nord Stage
Manikin Memotron
Alesis Andromeda

I've been given a bit of forewarning that our local gear store might be willing to supply my band with some cheap, cheap rentals, and these are the keyboards they have available that I'm looking at. Any advice?

Also, of course, this thread serves as the analog to the guitar thread: what keyboards do you guys possess? What's on your wish list? Does your band let you use all of the wierd sound effects you dredged up on your Korg? (no. :smallannoyed:)

My dream has always to get my hands on a B3 and a Moog Modular. That's it, just a B3 and Moog.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 12:59 PM
My favorite keyboardist is Janne Warman from children of bodom. Tuomas Holopainen from Nightwish is also pretty good.

This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRdjFEJEMG0) has an awesome keyboard shred solo in it.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-19, 01:05 PM
I have a Casio I think...

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-19, 01:11 PM
Keyboarding tips?

Uhhh, lets see...

Keep your left pinky, ring, middle and index fingers on the "a," "s," "d," and "f' keys, respectively. Keep your Right index, middle, ring, and pinky fingers on the "j," "k," "l," and semicolon keys, respectively. Keep your thumbs on the space bar. When typing reach your nearest finger towards the key you want to press. Look at the screen when typing.

That's probably it... Unless you mean the Electric Piano type of keyboard. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 01:27 PM
Um, yes. That Children of Bodom song was pretty good, but I think the keys here are about twenty times better: Learning to Live, by Dream Theater. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1ogfdsOyo) Jordan Rudess forevah.

Also, I'm starting the Casio Support group itp. It's okay, DD. It will all be okay, as long as you just by yourself a nice Nord or Korg or somesuch.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 01:38 PM
Iono I've never been able to get much into dream theater. I swear it's not just because of the Alexi Laiho ,John Petrucci rivalry! :smalltongue:

:V: I listened to the beginning, I'll listen to the last part soon.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 01:40 PM
Did you listen to the song? Just listen to the song. :smallannoyed:

At least the last four minutes. Please? :smallsmile:

SilentNight
2008-08-19, 01:44 PM
I can't remember the brand name of this one I played recently. I think it was a Korg but yes, those are good. Nice and compact with weighted keys. Try to get a B3 though so I can track you down and steal it. :smallbiggrin: Post some audio files of you band too, once you get it together.

zeratul
2008-08-19, 01:45 PM
Did you listen to the song? Just listen to the song. :smallannoyed:

At least the last four minutes. Please? :smallsmile:

Okay I'll admit he's probably as good as Warman, not quite as fast, but still evidently very talented.

FdL
2008-08-19, 01:57 PM
I want a Moog.

SDF
2008-08-19, 02:01 PM
Out of that selection, holy carp go with the Nord Stage. In fact if I were given a choice to get any modeling keyboard regardless of price I would get one of those. I mostly play piano when at my 'rent, and I have a MicroKorg synth sitting right above my computer that I use on occasion. I might get a modeling keyboard one of these days when I'm done getting all my guitar gear.

Last_resort_33
2008-08-19, 02:10 PM
I was actually thinking about Keyboards.

My Wife and I are REALLY into symphonic metal and she used to play the piano really well when she lived with her parents. Unfortunately, you can barely fit a sofa and a TV in our house now, so there is definitely no room for a piano!

I was thinking of getting a keyboard for her as a Xmas pressie, but I hate the idea of buying shi... rubbish musical equipment, I hate having the feeling that it's a toy.

My plan is to spend under £400 ($800) to get something that will give a "full orchestra"sort of nightwishy feel.

But I know nothing about keyboards, and I feel that (like copying the guitars and amps used by your heroes) just getting a few models down/ the same brand or whatever isn't going to give the best results.

So basically.... help.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 02:30 PM
Well, Nightwish's keyboardist uses, basically, all of Korg's extremely expensive workstations, which are pretty hard to navigate anyway. I'd recommend a Korg PA50, which you can get for about $900 and has built in speakers. Unlike most keyboards with built in speakers, it's a very high quality machine.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-19, 02:38 PM
Also, I'm starting the Casio Support group itp. It's okay, DD. It will all be okay, as long as you just by yourself a nice Nord or Korg or somesuch.
Nah. I practically never play it.

Exept for a few times and the occasional time that I get a certain tune in my head that I can also play. Never had real talent for reading music and stuff, have some talent apparently, but not for reading music and thus learning it that way.....

Last_resort_33
2008-08-19, 06:35 PM
Well, Nightwish's keyboardist uses, basically, all of Korg's extremely expensive workstations, which are pretty hard to navigate anyway. I'd recommend a Korg PA50, which you can get for about $900 and has built in speakers. Unlike most keyboards with built in speakers, it's a very high quality machine.

Looks OK, I'll look into it. I was also looking at a Triton LE, it's a little more expensive, but what are the differences (tell me in terms of someone who knows plenty about music but nothing about keyboards)

Moff Chumley
2008-08-19, 07:50 PM
Ooookay. We're talking a HUGE world of differences. On a PA50, you get perhaps a quarter of the flexibility of the LE, but at a way better price, and it's MUCH easier to navigate. Triton manuals read like novels. If you're wife wants to learn how to play a Triton, she's got her work cut out for her. Plus, I doubt you really want to get into actually programming a synth.

Raistlin1040
2008-08-19, 07:53 PM
*Looks at his Yamaha PSR-150* *Sighs*

I wish I had a better keyboard.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-19, 08:01 PM
I have a yamaha something something.

RTGoodman
2008-08-19, 09:31 PM
Being a part-time front ensemble instructor for an indoor percussion ensemble, I get to at least play around with cool keyboards occasionally. I think the big one we've got at the moment is a big Korg, but I can't remember the model. The coolest thing was when we were cleaning out the band room and found a basically mint condition Fender Rhodes Electric Piano from the '70s that none of the band directors had known about. We figured the thing had been bought when the school was built (in the '70s) and was never used. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten to use it yet, but this coming season looks promising.

Personally, I don't own anything nearly as cool. I've just got a little Casio that's served me well for about 5 years, and then a little Blue Man Group keyboard thing my family got me for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Last_resort_33
2008-08-20, 01:24 AM
Ooookay. We're talking a HUGE world of differences. On a PA50, you get perhaps a quarter of the flexibility of the LE, but at a way better price, and it's MUCH easier to navigate. Triton manuals read like novels. If you're wife wants to learn how to play a Triton, she's got her work cut out for her. Plus, I doubt you really want to get into actually programming a synth.

I'm likely to be the one programming, as I absolutely LOVE that sort of thing, but If it's not going to have a bunch of basic "pick up and use" settings, I may not bother.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-20, 06:09 PM
Oh, it'll have plenty of presets, but they'll find ways to make it complicated. >.< If you enjoy synth programming, though, go for it.

Also, it turns out the only thing I'm going to be able to get my hands on is a cool old Fender Rhodes. That's okay, certainly, but it's not the most flexable keyboard out there... Oh well, I can just borrow a bunch of guitar pedals to make up for it. :smalltongue: