PDA

View Full Version : My raceless monk

DUSUCK
2008-08-19, 01:38 PM
Pretty simple I am making a Monk, Drunken Master and I don't have a race for him I have considered different things but nothing seems to click.
I would like to make a goliath but my DM doesn't approve of goliath monks.I got a couple of race books and it's in 3.5.

Any help is appreciated.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-19, 01:40 PM
thri-keen

and name him pinnapleGoreFist
.....mmm planescape.

DUSUCK
2008-08-19, 01:43 PM
thri-keen

and name him pinnapleGoreFist
.....mmm planescape.

whats a tri-keen what book?

Chronicled
2008-08-19, 01:47 PM
whats a tri-keen what book?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/46026.jpg

Expanded Psionics Handbook or Monster Manual...2?

I'd recommend a Human, honestly. Monks are always hurting for feats. Otherwise, a Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) or Half-Ogre (Savage Species or Races of Destiny).

Occasional Sage
2008-08-19, 01:48 PM
What LA are you wanting?

DUSUCK
2008-08-19, 01:52 PM
What LA are you wanting?

I don't care to much I played a guy with a +7 once so thats no problem, and those thri-keen guys look kool......

then again humans are always good.......

Telonius
2008-08-19, 01:56 PM
For the sheer absurdity: Crucian, from Sandstorm.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/tn_76979_CN_jpg.jpg

You can actually have a Ninja Turtle! The abilities would actually make a decent-ish Monk.

serok42
2008-08-19, 01:57 PM
Nothing Screams Drunken Master like a Dwarf.

Chronicled
2008-08-19, 02:06 PM
and those thri-keen guys look kool......

And the picture I posted was one of the least cool ones around.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-19, 02:17 PM
there from .. shinning south(forgotten realsm book) and one of the monster manuals can't remember witch there like ecl +2-3 i think

DUSUCK
2008-08-19, 02:24 PM
there from .. shinning south(forgotten realsm book) and one of the monster manuals can't remember witch there like ecl +2-3 i think

I don't have the stats for them would it be legal for you to post them??

kjones
2008-08-19, 02:25 PM
Second dwarf, for coolness and because you don't care about your Charisma anyway. Get the DM to rule alcohol as a "poison" (completely reasonable judgement IMHO) for better fort saves.

Talic
2008-08-19, 02:40 PM
From Frostburn. Yeti.

Improved Grab, Constrict, Large size...

+8 Str, +4 Con, +2 Dex, +2 Wisdom

If ya really wanna get crazy, go Monk into fist of Zuoken for psionic enlarge, and, by higher levels, get up to gargantuan size.

Plus, who wouldn't want to play a monk that was an ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-19, 02:51 PM
From Frostburn. Yeti.

Improved Grab, Constrict, Large size...

+8 Str, +4 Con, +2 Dex, +2 Wisdom

If ya really wanna get crazy, go Monk into fist of Zuoken for psionic enlarge, and, by higher levels, get up to gargantuan size.

Plus, who wouldn't want to play a monk that was an ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN?

The Abominable Snowmonk? Terrifying.

DUSUCK
2008-08-19, 02:58 PM
Nothing Screams Drunken Master like a Dwarf.

I know but like the last charector I played was a monk now I am playing a drugar and I want to change it up

Xyk
2008-08-19, 02:59 PM
The Abominable Snowmonk? Terrifying.

Then abominable snowdrunk. Drunken masters are fun.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-19, 03:02 PM
Then abominable snowdrunk. Drunken masters are fun.

The most fearsome beast ever to have brawled in a tavern.

nargbop
2008-08-19, 10:50 PM
Sven Yodelmeister, the Storm Giant Monk. Standing twenty feet tall with fingers like tree trunks and eyebrows that could crush a man's skull, Sven swaggers through the bar like... seriously, right through it.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-20, 02:44 AM
goblin, for the fugg'all of it.

Because seriously? what wouldn't be funny about being mauled by a homeless looking goblin that reeked of cheap bourbon.

but more realistically? I dunno. Ogre-Mage could be fun but that's an absurdly high LA and Racial HD.

If psionics are allowed, Elan. but that could be said about nearly any class.

Ionizer
2008-08-20, 04:00 AM
And the picture I posted was one of the least cool ones around.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ssouth_gallery/84377.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cpsi_gallery/96402.jpg

Agreed.

DarknessLord
2008-08-20, 04:03 AM
Be a Nymph.

A flipping male, drunken master, Nymph.
Screw the +7 LA with 6 Racial HD, it would be freaking hilariousness.

BobVosh
2008-08-20, 04:05 AM
Thri-kreen is in Monster Manual 2 in 3ed, shining south (forgotten realms), expanded psionics, Savage specis, a few others besides

3 ecl, 1 La, 2 hit dice
+2 str, +4 dex, -2 int -2 wis -4 cha
40 spd

But the thing that makes them amazing is the fact they have 4 arms. Espically if you can become a vampire monk.

Extra limbs is amazing in D&D...

Talic
2008-08-20, 04:59 AM
If we're going there... Illithid monk.

Some psionics, 4 tentacles, 2 fists... I mean, come on!

And think of the grappler fun.

Alternately, go thri-kreen with illithid heritage and illithid tentacle feats.

For when you need 4 arms AND 4 tentacles.

EDIT: If we're doing 2 flaws?

1) Racial HD - 3 feats (base, flaw flaw - Illithid heritage, Illithid tentacle x2)
2) Racial HD
3) LA
4) Monk 1 - 1 feat (illithid tentacle x3)
5) Monk 2
6) Monk 3
7) Monk 4 - (illithid tentacle x4)
8) Monk 5
9) Monk 6
10) Monk 7 - Multiattack (sure, why not)
11) Monk 8
12) Monk 9
13) Monk 10 - Aberrant Heritage
14) Monk 11
15) Monk 12
16) Monk 13 - Inhuman Reach (10 foot reach!)
17) Monk 14
18) Monk 15
19) Monk 16 - Superior natural attack (fist)
20) Sorceror 1 - Yay enlarge person

Now, using natural attack progression...

4 attacks (fist) + 2 tentacle attacks - at level 3.
4 attacks (fist) + 3 tentacle attacks - at level 4.
4 attacks (fist) + 4 tentacle attacks - at level 7.

Fists at full BAB, tentacles at BAB-2 - Level 10.
Increased reach at level 16.

So unoptimized it's not funny, but full of fun.

DUSUCK
2008-08-20, 07:22 AM
Thri-kreen is in Monster Manual 2 in 3ed, shining south (forgotten realms), expanded psionics, Savage specis, a few others besides

3 ecl, 1 La, 2 hit dice
40 spd

But the thing that makes them amazing is the fact they have 4 arms. Espically if you can become a vampire monk.

ok i am gonna be a thri-keen
(cus my DM lets me buy off a +1 LA)

all I need to know now is what kinda HD monstrous humanoid I take it?

Telonius
2008-08-20, 07:41 AM
Be a Nymph.

A flipping male, drunken master, Nymph.
Screw the +7 LA with 6 Racial HD, it would be freaking hilariousness.

I think I knew that girl in college. :smallbiggrin:

Riffington
2008-08-20, 08:12 AM
Just don't name him Xiticix

Leon
2008-08-20, 08:24 AM
A Draconic Dwarf: Stronger, Tougher and Slightly better looking with a nice group of abilities to go with it

DUSUCK
2008-08-20, 10:54 AM
A Draconic Dwarf: Stronger, Tougher and Slightly better looking with a nice group of abilities to go with it

I say again I do not want to play another dwarf almost all of my charectors to this point have been dwarfs and (even my monks) so I really really want to try something diffrent

Chronos
2008-08-20, 11:02 AM
all I need to know now is what kinda HD monstrous humanoid I take it?Monstrous humanoid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#monstrousHumanoidType) HD: d8, full BAB, good Reflex and Will, 2 skill points. There are worse RHD out there.

DUSUCK
2008-08-20, 11:11 AM
Monstrous humanoid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#monstrousHumanoidType) HD: d8, full BAB, good Reflex and Will, 2 skill points. There are worse RHD out there.

ok thank yew

Burley
2008-08-20, 11:14 AM
I know that muttering Dawnforge is liable to spark an entire new set of questions (it's a campaign setting), but there is a sub-race of humans called Saltbloods in the setting. They're sailors by nature, and many are pirates by trade. They have a racial ability that let's them get drunk, enjoy any benefits, but suffer no penalties from being drunk. They're perfect for drunken master! Also, being drunk gives a +4 on certain Charisma based skills.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-08-20, 12:17 PM

3 ecl, 1 La, 2 hit dice
40 spd

If you mean go vampire for the energy drain ability, it only triggers once per round, not once per hit.

DUSUCK
2008-08-20, 03:05 PM
I know that muttering Dawnforge is liable to spark an entire new set of questions (it's a campaign setting), but there is a sub-race of humans called Saltbloods in the setting. They're sailors by nature, and many are pirates by trade. They have a racial ability that let's them get drunk, enjoy any benefits, but suffer no penalties from being drunk. They're perfect for drunken master! Also, being drunk gives a +4 on certain Charisma based skills.

that is pretty badass.......I will save this info.. what book could i find this in??

Seffbasilisk
2008-08-20, 03:19 PM
If you don't mind a fat LA, Half Dragon works well. Turning racial HD into D12's is a nice bonus, and if you go with a large base race, you gain wings.

Deepblue706
2008-08-20, 04:09 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the Minotaur. I have no idea where it stands, but I think it's fun.

LA+2, and 6 levels of monstrous humanoid, but you're getting:

6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5, before you add your Monk levels on top.

+8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Charisma.

Large size. You lose a bit of AC and also have attack penalty, but your grapple is improved, and you use large dice for unarmed damage. Also, you have reach.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

+5 natural armor bonus. Makes up for being large.

Powerful Charge: "In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack that deals 4d6+6 points of damage."

+4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks

Never Flat-Footed. That's nice when you're wearing no armor, I think.

This bad-boy with 1 level of Monk will have the same attack bonus as a Human Monk 9. Except, Mr. Minotaur deals more damage, takes more hits, can avoid more attacks, can actually do things when he can't make a full-attack, he can grapple better and by choosing him you're playing a goddamn minotaur. A Dunken Minotaur is just baddass.

SadisticFishing
2008-08-20, 04:20 PM
Thri-kreen, that sounds totally out of character for one. Perfect reason to be an adventurer!

Adventurers = Exceptions :P

I keep wanting to say "but more arms doesn't mean more unarmed strikes!" but once you're a Drunken Master, that won't matter, and 4 claw attacks would be good anyways! Just use four broken bottles.

One problem is magic-ing them. Magic fists'll do more damage, but getting more +hit is gonna be hard. Get your cleric to Chain Greater Magic Weapon like 50 bottles every morning. OH YEAH. Buy him the friggin Rod, too.

Leon
2008-08-20, 07:47 PM
I say again I do not want to play another dwarf almost all of my charectors to this point have been dwarfs and (even my monks) so I really really want to try something diffrent

Oops, Glossed over that bit, well then add Draconic to something else (like a Thri Kreen)

Thurbane
2008-08-20, 10:17 PM
1/2 Ogre! :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-20, 10:26 PM
Succubus. Because an always-drunk incarnation of sex that can suck out your soul with a touch should definitely be the unarmed fighter. In fact, I may play that some time.

Animefunkmaster
2008-08-20, 10:38 PM
Drunken monk with class... and something that is playable with LA... one word.

PIXIE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm)

BobVosh
2008-08-21, 12:38 AM

If you can use the dawn forge races there are so many better ones. Like the gnomes out of there, they are amazingly good. Etheral jaunt is never meant to be a racial ability.

All dawnforge races are OP by most other settings. They are a no level adjustment/hd but get stat bumps every other level and racial feats on the off levels for 10 levels. Then they get an ability I can't remember the name of, but think paragon path. As a racial.

As for extra limbs != extra attacks, that is why they made multiattack. Then it does. Plus throw in flurry. So at 1 monk, 3 TK you have 5 attacks. 4 ecl. Sure you only have a 2 BAB, each attack takes -3, but that is a lot of hits at a level where every hit is basically a good roll.

Talic
2008-08-21, 12:40 AM
Triton -

Advantages:

+6 Natural Armor - Woo!

3 Outsider HD (woot full BAB, Strong Fort/Ref/Will, 8 skill points)

+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis

Summon Nature's Ally 4, once a day
Darkvision

Many good monk skills also class skills for Triton RHD.

This means, on a 32 point build:

Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 18
Cha: 8

AC, as a level 1 monk: 10 +6 natural +3 Dex, +4 Wis = 23 AC, not bad.

Attack bonus would be +6, for melee or range.

Oddly enough, it's kinda like Aquaman.

icefractal
2008-08-21, 03:29 AM
If you go Thri-kreen, see if your DM will go for you getting "drunk" off of sugar instead of alchohol. No mechanical reason, it'd just be amusing, and fit with the insect metabolism.

As far as weaponry, there's always arrows for your magic needs. They're pretty affordable (especially if you get the Cleric to GMW a batch of 50 in the morning) and count as improvised if you use them in melee.

Talic
2008-08-21, 03:37 AM
If you go Thri-kreen, see if your DM will go for you getting "drunk" off of sugar instead of alchohol. No mechanical reason, it'd just be amusing, and fit with the insect metabolism.

As far as weaponry, there's always arrows for your magic needs. They're pretty affordable (especially if you get the Cleric to GMW a batch of 50 in the morning) and count as improvised if you use them in melee.

Xizzitic: fkjvioshdu' dfs'fg 'sdfsfd dfsf'ht (Translation: I'll, uh, I'll have the chocolate cake)

Baker: I'm gonna have to see some ID for that, son.

Xizzitic: HISDFS' !! (Translation: BOOP!)

DUSUCK
2008-08-21, 07:40 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of the Minotaur. I have no idea where it stands, but I think it's fun.

LA+2, and 6 levels of monstrous humanoid, but you're getting:

6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5, before you add your Monk levels on top.

+8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Charisma.

Large size. You lose a bit of AC and also have attack penalty, but your grapple is improved, and you use large dice for unarmed damage. Also, you have reach.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

+5 natural armor bonus. Makes up for being large.

Powerful Charge: "In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack that deals 4d6+6 points of damage."

+4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks

Never Flat-Footed. That's nice when you're wearing no armor, I think.

This bad-boy with 1 level of Monk will have the same attack bonus as a Human Monk 9. Except, Mr. Minotaur deals more damage, takes more hits, can avoid more attacks, can actually do things when he can't make a full-attack, he can grapple better and by choosing him you're playing a goddamn minotaur. A Dunken Minotaur is just baddass.

I know but the last time I tryed to play a minotaur.......it was bad It was terrible......

Chronos
2008-08-21, 12:47 PM
Triton -

Advantages:
...Disadvantages: Pathetic land speed, LA 2.

I won't count the RHD as a disadvantage, though, since outsider RHD are pretty good.

Talic
2008-08-21, 02:36 PM
Disadvantages: Pathetic land speed, LA 2.

I won't count the RHD as a disadvantage, though, since outsider RHD are pretty good.

Land Speed? Monk! Or Mounted combat?

LA? Buyoff!

Chronos
2008-08-21, 05:03 PM
Even a monk is going to take a while to catch up from a base land speed of 5 feet, though. And I didn't say the drawbacks were insurmountable-- It's certainly a viable option.

Irreverent Fool
2008-08-21, 08:03 PM
I don't have the stats for them would it be legal for you to post them??

Go to google and search for Crystal Keep. They have a listing of all of the vital statistics of most of the playable races for 3.5. It also references where they come from.

hotel_papa
2008-08-21, 08:24 PM
I would say changeling, from Eberron. You'll be able to get yourself out of trouble easily (and if you're a drunken master whose not in trouble, you're playing it wrong).

Also, you easily qualify for a dip or two in the Warshaper prestige class from the same book. (being of the shapechanger subtype) Being able to spontaniously create a natural weapon (which might count as an improvised weapon for the purpose of the Drunken Master class feature, with your DMs consent) is useful, but so is immunity to crits and stunning, a permanent +4 to Str and Con, fast healing 2 and the ability to heal with a concentration check. All the time, drunk or not.

Also, keep in mind that each drink gives you a bonus to Str or Con, while killing both int and wisdom, so your monk AC bonus is dropping, as well as your save vs. babbling like an idiot. RPing a changling uses the disguise skill a lot, which is Cha based, not somthing that is affected by the booze (one of those ways that D&D drifts away from the real world). Makes for fun plot events where the "Mayor" is seen filthy drunk. Or his wife. Who then breaths fire. And grows a horn.

My two copper.
HP

ericgrau
2008-08-21, 08:50 PM
Second dwarf, for coolness and because you don't care about your Charisma anyway. Get the DM to rule alcohol as a "poison" (completely reasonable judgement IMHO) for better fort saves.

Alcohol is a poison, per real life and per the d&d FAQ.

I'd get anything with a high str and/or large size. All of the monk's special attacks and his melee AB depend on these. Con is also helpful, like any class. There have been plenty of good suggestions so far, and I'll add orc to the list for +4 str at +0 LA in spite of his -1 AC (wis) and 1 less skill point per level. Meh, you're doing a similar exchange with drunken master.

I'd avoid 10+ attack traps, unless you have the AB and damage to back it up. Otherwise you'll just be racking up a bunch of extra misses. I haven't taken a good look at the builds posted, I'm just saying I see that mistake a lot so be careful if you go that route.

BobVosh
2008-08-21, 11:59 PM
Xizzitic: fkjvioshdu' dfs'fg 'sdfsfd dfsf'ht (Translation: I'll, uh, I'll have the chocolate cake)

Baker: I'm gonna have to see some ID for that, son.

Xizzitic: HISDFS' !! (Translation: BOOP!)

They could almost never be old enough, they die of old age at 30.

Thri-kreen are about 200x cooler than anyone who is compared to aquaman. Espically an aquaman who moves 5 ft in 6 seconds. Why does he do, flounder on land?

Why do people keep mentioning dwarf? He doesn't want to be one. Plus they make bad drunken masters, too hard to get properly drunk.

Changeling sounds fun though, but it is either a 6 or 8 level race. I always enjoyed them though, although it may have been the fact I had Perform (pelvic thrust/crouch grab) and I bought +1 pants of blinding flash to combo with that...

Cuddly
2008-08-22, 12:16 AM
Just don't name him Xiticix

Whoa.
I played with a gu who played who a thri-keen who threw masses of things at enemies- daggers, ninja stars, alchemist's fire, grappling hooks, boogers. Called it !!, pronounced "chick-chick".

BobVosh
2008-08-22, 12:57 AM
Whoa.
I played with a gu who played who a thri-keen who threw masses of things at enemies- daggers, ninja stars, alchemist's fire, grappling hooks, boogers. Called it !!, pronounced "chick-chick".

http://riftsccg.mahasamatman.com/Faction/Xiticix.HTML

I couldn't find a wiki page on them, surprisingly. He made a Rifts reference to bugs that make no sense and don't threaten anything...except for the most powerful super-nation on North America. That is except they don't influence it at all and is ignored.