PDA

View Full Version : Gaming system, tell me if I'm stupid

Deathtouched
2008-08-19, 02:58 PM
I know this isn't D20, but can anyone help me?

Okay, anyways, I really just want something I won't find too many faults with and doesn't use big numbers. It's an jumble of different systems. Here's what I've got.

Starting Atts: 3d6
Atts go up to 25 for humans, racial modifiers change starting atts and are added to the maximum limit. A race with +2 dex can go up to 27 in dex, etc.

No skills that aren't already parts of the classes. "Skill" checks are rolls on attributes. Warriors get weapon focus and a special ability, rogues get trapsense and aim, wizards get staff abilities and magical foci.
In magical campaigns, warriors get no magic, rogues get lower magic, wizards get all magic (if they meet prerequisites in attributes or training).

Saving rolls are made by rolling 2d6 and adding the roll to the appropriate attribute to determine the level of the roll made. Doubles add and reroll. The roll must be at least 5 total on the dice, or it is an automatic failure regardless of whether the needed total with attribute was made.
Rolls themselves do not necessarily exist in level form. The number is the actual roll which can be affected by multiple things, but the levels are used as names for the number given on the charts.

All monsters are created the same way as PCs. Atts 3d6, plus racial modifiers. Average, everyday monsters are given 10 in all atts and then have their racial modifiers added.

In combat, all combatants get one attack per combat round, the attack counting for every fighting action they take during the rounds. Limits on this involve movement and necessary saving rolls.
Combatants must make dice rolls for all non-magical attacks, unless specified by the type of attack. Strength is used to make melee attacks, Dexterity used to make ranged attacks. Large targets (trolls) need a base roll of 20 on the appropriate attribute to be hit, medium targets (humans) 25, small (children) 30, very small (birds) 35, tiny (eyes) 40.
For ranged attacks a distance factor is added to the roll needed. Pointblank shots (0-5 yds) add 0 to the roll, Close shots (5-20) add 5, far shots (20-60) 10, extreme shots (60-100) 15. (Shot distances may need to be changed)

So hitting a human within 15 feet is always a roll of 25, except under special circumstances, ie. magic. The problem with this part of the system is that this means that the average commoner (10 Str) would automatically need doubles and high numbers to hit another commoner. they would "almost" need doubles to be able to hit the broad side of a barn (roll of 20), again this makes no sense. The sizes have to be changed probably with the rolls lowered and new size classes added, like Huge for barns, which would work fine. Roll could be lowered by 5 so hitting a human is a base roll of 20, possible for a peasant, though they probably shouldn't be fighting. Unfortunately, this means that strong characters who start with at least 15 Strength can almost always make the hit as long as they get 5 on the roll.

Damage is based off of strength and weapon damage. The weapon has a type and number of dice rolled for its damage, plus any extra adds it has. For every point of Strength above 12, the attacker gains 1 extra point of damage. For every point below 9, they lose 1 damage. The bonus is halved for ranged weaponry.

Damage is reduced by armor and shields, though the heavier armors decrease dexterity while they are being worn.

Magic spells all have a casting time. During the time the spell is being cast, if the mage takes any damage or is violently disturbed they automatically lose the spell and pay the cost for it. Spells also have a duration which is commonly based on an attribute, whereas another like intelligence is used to determine what spells are possible and how strong they are.

This whole thing is supposed to be extremely simple, the only real problem is the combat system. I was thinking of lowering the "to-hit" rolls and giving a a bonus of dex minus 12 to all creatures, but not objects. So objects are easy to hit, and small fast creatures arent. D&D. But I'm worried that this will complicate things too much or that it won't fit.

This is all because nothing I've used before has let me do all the things I ant to do, so I want my own rules instead. I just need some help making them work. Please?

Deathtouched
2008-08-19, 05:55 PM
Okay how about details then? Details, details...

Spell examples (no complete list, but magic is meant to be rare so there's no problem)

Name: Dispel Magic
Cost:*MP
Duration: instantaneous
Casting Time: 1 round
Range:50'
Effect: Caster nulls a temporary magical effect. The cost of the dispelling is the spell's MP cost. Caster cannot dispel permanent magical effects.

Name: Darkness
Cost: 2
Duration: rounds/Power (Power replaces wisdom)
Range: Touch
Effect: Caster creates an area of darkness in a 10' radius around themselves, 10' high. Creatures that can see in the dark are unaffected. The caster is affected by the spell.

Name: Flight
Cost: 4
Duration: rounds/Power
Range: Touch
Effect: Caster gives target creature the ability to fly at an average flying speed. The creature has complete mobility while flying. If the creature is in the air when the spell wears off, it falls and takes damage normally.

Name: Ignite
Cost: 1
Duration: instantaneous
Range: 30'
Effect: Caster causes target flammable material to burst into flames. The caster cannot directly target a creature, but if the target is something the creature is wearing or holding the creature may catch on fire and take damage. (Amount missing)

Weapon Examples

Name: Knife
Type: Dagger
Damage: 1d4
Hands: 1
Strength Needed: 3
Dexterity Needed: 8
Cost: 22 (working on this)

Name: Heavy Crossbow
Type: Missile
Damage: 2d8 (working on this too)
Hands: 2
Strength Needed: 12
Dexterity Needed: 14 (and working on it)

And if it wasn't clear before, this system is specifically for a campaign of my own design. Though obviously mine isn't the only one it could be used for, that is the premise.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ss_gallery/49120.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4e/20070929_we1th.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/4e/20070929_we1.jpg
And I'm not hoping for anything big in replies, I just need some feedback on whether or not this is the stupidest idea ever.