View Full Version : Games Workshop Hobby help.

tribble
2008-08-19, 03:14 PM
what with all the articles about strategy in GW games, I thought we could use one on Painting and Modeling. To get things started, How in the name of all that is Holy or otherwise do I Put together a Rhino? The box it came in had instructions for putting together The Berserkers and Chaos Space Marines that came in the Warband Box, but not the Rhino. Basically what I need is a guide to putting together a Plastic Rhino.

TheThan
2008-08-19, 03:22 PM
Shouldn’t this go in arts in crafts. Since its not just about playing the game?

I take it you’re talking about chaos space marines…

Don’t know much about 40k. If you haven’t already, you should try Emailing GW, explain the situation and ask if they could send you instructions.. or at least Email some back to you.

I don’t know how good their customer support is so I don’t know if that’ll get you anywhere.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-19, 07:31 PM
Rhinos are fairly simple to put together, at least once one has put together around 6 rhino-based tank models.

You want a basic rhino, so you'll need the two interlocking doors for that hole in the top. And only one of the little hatch things will fit on those two circular holes. The other one should be a little circle piece.

For starters, put the side armour together. Each side is two pieces, three if you count the doors, and it's not hard to figure out how they go together, because they have pegs on them. You can glue the tracks on, but I recommend leaving them off for easy of painting. From the front, the track pieces go like this: Two, one, three, big long one, three, one, two. there should be little ledges to help align the two-track pieces, and there should also be little teeth to help alight the big one. All track pieces should line up approximately with the bottom of the sides. Put on the two-tracks first, and you shouldn't have any trouble with the rest because all the tracks have teeth to help them line up.

With the sides done you can now put on the interior panel and the floor. The floor is big and flat, and the curved end goes at the front of the rhino. This will line up with grooves on the sides, as will the interior panel (the one with computer screens for marines and probably some demonic faces for chaos). Now you can paint the inside, or just glue it shut. if you're going to glue it shut, glue the rear door in place and stick the other side to this assembly. if not, leave the pegs for the rear door unglued. either way, once this is done you can move on to the front.

Stick the little thing with the windows into the slats on the front of the bigger thing with windshields. this goes on the front of the rhino, and there are ledges to help line it up. at this point, the only thing left should be the big piece that goes on the top. You can put this on now, making sure that it has the two big interlocking doors and not the flat panel with the circular hole on it. these two pieces both fit in the large rectangular hole in the middle of the top piece, but the circular hole one is for vehicles with a turret.

Now glue assorted bitz to it to personalize, or just finish painting it. if I missed something, or you don't know what a specific piece is for, let me know.

Bryn
2008-08-19, 07:32 PM
Usually, a tank set will come with the instructions in the box, which are generally necessary since they're not always straightforward. If they're not there, you should probably contact GW and tell them so. I'm afraid I've already recycled all my own Rhino instuctions, otherwise I'd scan them to help you. In any case, though, your best bet is to email or phone GW.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-19, 11:45 PM
I have to feel your pain, brother. Last week-end, I tried to build-up my first WH40K tank ever, a Leman Russ. Without the manual, I would've been completely lost. The fact that they put X redundant pieces for piece Y don't help, when you are left with a few of them and nowhere to put them...

Anyway, I went for the most complicated Leman Russ Model available (with the bolter in the opening hatch, a spotlight, a missile thrower, a grenade propeller and a blade in front. With spikes.)

hmm.. I think I'll register to photobucket to show you my work. It's my first painted tank ever, and I've only painted 10 goblin cavalry before. A year ago.

Colmarr
2008-08-20, 12:50 AM
Stuff about building rhinos

Wow, Rhinos sure got complicated since I last built one (c. 5 years ago).

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-20, 06:16 AM
Here is my Leman Russ, the one of the first model I ever painted. PEACH

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/SolkaTruesilver/LemanRussTank-HighDefinition.jpg

It's meant to be a tank in a Gue'Vesa Regiment, believing that the Greater Good and faith in the Holy Emperor is not exclusive. The Emperor has been betrayed by the corrupted High Lords of Terra, and has to be freed from this corruption.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-20, 08:31 AM
One thing to note, in case it's not obvious: use Plastic Glue, not Superglue to put together your plastic tank. The plastic glue gets "stringy" so it's a little funky to handle, but the superglue can mess up the plastic a little.

Check the sides of the boxes to make sure there aren't instructions there. If no instructions, definitely call GW or take your tank to a GW store for help in assembly. (I realize depending on the quality of staff at a particular store, going there may be a risky proposition. But if the folks at your local GW store are nice, that is probably the best way for you to get help with assembly.)

If you have a lot of Rhinos to assemble, the first one seems very tricky, but then it gets much easier the second and third times you do it.

Destro_Yersul has got it down. Sides first, then floor and hatches, then front, then top. Unlike Destro, I always glue the treads on with everything else. Doesn't give me much trouble painting, though I guess it depends on what you want to do with your paint job.

If this is your first rhino, I'd leave the interior alone paint-wise and just glue your rear hatch shut. Gluing the hatch also adds some stability to the model if your assembly was a little shaky.

If you do want to leave the rear hatch open, though, just remember to paint your interior before you glue the top on. :smallsmile: For my rhinos that have hatches open, I glue a rare earth magnet to the inside of the hatch and then glue a scrap of plastic from the rhino sprue to the interior of the ceiling and attach the magnet's mate. That holds the hatch shut when I need it to be shut, but I can still open it and show the inside when I want. This is NOT necessary, note--just an extra something. You shouldn't have problem with "floppy hatches" with a standard rhino kit (I came up with the rare earth thing because I was using resin doors from ForgeWorld which were a tad too small and so were opening when I didn't want them to.)

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-20, 08:39 AM
I had the idea of painting separate pieces before assembling them, except when a part is supposed to be a whole. (for example, a bolter weapon coming in 2 parts. Makes little sense to paint them separatly)

DeathQuaker
2008-08-20, 08:48 AM
I had the idea of painting separate pieces before assembling them, except when a part is supposed to be a whole. (for example, a bolter weapon coming in 2 parts. Makes little sense to paint them separatly)

For very large models including certain tanks, this is a good idea, but I've found for rhinos it's easier to put together and prime it as a whole before painting (with the exception of painting the interior separately, before finishing assembly, if you want to do so). But in some cases, this is also because I've sometimes mixed colors to paint a rhino (sometime, I'll have to show you my Rhino of Hideous Pinkness :smallbiggrin:), and if I painted the parts separately, I might end up with slightly different shades of my mixed color. Of course, yes, you can premix in a bottle, but I've been known to unexpectedly run out....

I also find it's easier to do stuff like highlighting after the rhino is finished, again to help maintain consistency. And if you glue your model together and there are gaps you need to fill, it's annoying if your model is already painted because you'll have to repaint what you use to fill the gaps.

Different hobbyists will have different opinions on this, so this is all entirely IMHO. I find it's only worth painting pieces along the way if you know the finished model is going to leave you painting certain parts at odd angles (for example, a dragon, where it may be hard to paint around the torso after you glue on the wings).

Swordguy
2008-08-20, 06:42 PM
If you're painting a Land Raider, it is absolutely necessary to paint the interior sections while they're still on the sprues.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-21, 12:03 AM
If you're painting a Land Raider, it is absolutely necessary to paint the interior sections while they're still on the sprues.

On the other hand, I prefer painting them when I took them out and already carved out the last remaining of the spru. That way, when you will cut them (as you have to if you want your model to fit), you won't have a grey spot of un-painted material.

That, and the fact that carving painted pieces could damage the paint you've put. Try to avoid too much manipulation of painted models.