PDA

View Full Version : attack of opportunity

Cilvyn
2008-08-19, 03:16 PM
If you deal damage on a target standing adjacent to you with a ranged spell, does he get an attack of oppurtunity?

fractic
2008-08-19, 03:18 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about 4e here. Whenever you use a ranged or area attack power adjacent enemies can make an attack of opportunity. Wether or not you damage (or even target) those enemies is irrelevant.

Please look at the Q&A by RAW topics stickied on this board, they are meant for such questions.

Knaight
2008-08-19, 04:46 PM
Judging by the term attack of opportunity instead of opportunity attack, I'm going to assume you mean 3.x. And yes, they do unless you cast defensively, and there are feats that let them do that even when you do.

hotel_papa
2008-08-19, 06:13 PM
Actually (assuming this is 3.X) I'm pretty sure he'd provoke reguardless of concentration check. Making any ranged attack while threatened provokes an attack of opportunity, including the spell. As a matter of fact, if you didn't cast defensivly, or they did have some "spellcasting harrier" type effect, as well as combat reflexes, you would provoke TWO attacks of opportunity. One for the spell and one for the ranged attack. Luckily, I believe only the first one would carry a chance to make the spell fizzle.

Or, I'm completly wrong.

HP

Fostire
2008-08-19, 09:28 PM
I think only ranged weapons provoke attacks of opportunity

Rockphed
2008-08-19, 11:02 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about 4e here. Whenever you use a ranged or area attack power adjacent enemies can make an attack of opportunity. Wether or not you damage (or even target) those enemies is irrelevant.

Please look at the Q&A by RAW topics stickied on this board, they are meant for such questions.

See, that confused me. Do "Close Blast" and "Close Burst" count as area attacks?

tyckspoon
2008-08-19, 11:08 PM
See, that confused me. Do "Close Blast" and "Close Burst" count as area attacks?

No. That's the purpose of the 'Close' designation; they are area-of-effect abilities (usually), but they do not provoke.

Rockphed
2008-08-20, 12:07 AM
Okay, that makes sense(and is how I would have ruled).