PDA

View Full Version : Dazed, and how to avoid it? [3.5]

Seffbasilisk
2008-08-19, 03:48 PM
Something that's plagued me for a while now, is the question of how to avoid becoming dazed without turning undead.

Answers I've found so far:

The feat: Mark of the dauntless from Eberron, but it requires a true dragonmark.

The spell: Favor of the Martyr (Paladin Only)

The template: Fire-Souled. (Dragon magazine, +3 LA)

Is there any easier ways to become immune to daze?

Eldariel
2008-08-19, 04:02 PM
Much depends on your race, but there're spells for it. Warforged have the wonderful "Construct Essence"-line - some level of that gives you immunity to Daze. Quick Recovery-feat from Lords of Madness works (although you have to succeed a Will-save vs. 10+½ HD+caster stat to shrug off the effect, so to avoid your own Daze, you'll have to succeed a Will-save vs. your own caster stat + HD). There're some spells I don't remember right now that get you Daze-immunity. Probably something in the "Heart of"-line (Spell Compendium) and then some. There're ways.

Frosty
2008-08-19, 04:08 PM
What is this "Cobnstruct Essense" line and where can I find it?

Eldariel
2008-08-19, 04:15 PM
It's a line of arcane spells from Races of Eberron - makes a Warforged more Construct-like. Lesser Construct Essence is level 2, Construct Essence is level 5 and Greater Construct Essence is 8 or 9, I can't remember. Basically, they grant you a varying number of extra construct immunities and qualities - Greater Construct Essence finally bins your Constitution.

Sinfire Titan
2008-08-19, 04:24 PM
Something that's plagued me for a while now, is the question of how to avoid becoming dazed without turning undead.

Answers I've found so far:

The feat: Mark of the dauntless from Eberron, but it requires a true dragonmark.

The spell: Favor of the Martyr (Paladin Only)

The template: Fire-Souled. (Dragon magazine, +3 LA)

Is there any easier ways to become immune to daze?

Favor of the Martyr can be obtained by Erudites and Archivists easily, and Limited Wish duplicates the spell for Sor/Wiz. Erudite is arguably the better of the three, as they can get the most mileage out of being immune to dazing effects thanks to Arcane Fusion+Celerity abuse.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-08-19, 09:36 PM
There's a feat in Lords of Madness called Quick Recovery, which allows you to shake off a Dazed or Stunned condition at the cost of a move-action. No prerequisites, just one feat and you've got it.

The_Snark
2008-08-19, 09:57 PM
Much depends on your race, but there're spells for it. Warforged have the wonderful "Construct Essence"-line - some level of that gives you immunity to Daze. Quick Recovery-feat from Lords of Madness works (although you have to succeed a Will-save vs. 10+½ HD+caster stat to shrug off the effect, so to avoid your own Daze, you'll have to succeed a Will-save vs. your own caster stat + HD). There're some spells I don't remember right now that get you Daze-immunity. Probably something in the "Heart of"-line (Spell Compendium) and then some. There're ways.

You might be thinking of stunning; constructs aren't immune to dazing. Nor are undead, actually, and neither Construct Essence nor spells like Veil of Undeath can get you immunity to it. Immunity to dazing is pretty hard to get, much harder than stunning; I think the OP might have listed all of them already.

Plus the aforementioned Quick Recovery, which isn't immunity but is a pretty good substitute (although the save DC can be nasty).

Eldariel
2008-08-19, 10:12 PM
Hmm, I was pretty sure it granted Daze-immunity too, but seems like I've just read it into the ability, sorta. Oh well, the others listed (including the thrice mentioned Quick Recovery) still work.

nargbop
2008-08-19, 10:23 PM
There's a spell in Libris Mortis called Veil of Undeath that causes you to gain some undead traits and immunities.

This is probably not so useful to your good anti-undead character.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-19, 10:26 PM
Just a question but why is being dazed so much of a problem for your character? If its like a kobold going into sunlight, couldnt you just homebrew some sunglasses? A pair of goggles with a thin layer of ink shouldnt cost more than 50gp

Collin152
2008-08-19, 10:27 PM
Just a question but why is being dazed so much of a problem for your character? If its like a kobold going into sunlight, couldnt you just homebrew some sunglasses? A pair of goggles with a thin layer of ink shouldnt cost more than 50gp

You're thinking dazzled.

RTGoodman
2008-08-19, 10:29 PM

You're thinking Dazzled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazzled), which is when you go in bright sunlight and have light sensitivity. Dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed)is a different condition.

As an aside, Sundark Goggles like you suggest are in Races of the Dragon and (if I remember correctly) cost 10 gp.

Darrin
2008-08-20, 07:50 AM
Quick Recovery-feat from Lords of Madness works (although you have to succeed a Will-save vs. 10+½ HD+caster stat to shrug off the effect, so to avoid your own Daze, you'll have to succeed a Will-save vs. your own caster stat + HD).

Take Quick Recovery and add Cumbrous Will from Savage Species. Cumbrous Will can be activated to give yourself a +6 to a Will save, but you're shaken afterwards. Now add 3 levels of Paladin (immune to fear, including shaken), or Bullheaded (regional feat from Players Guide to Faerun) for another +2 Will and it makes you immune to being shaken.

Are you working on a Born of Three Thunders build? Eschew Materials + Snowcasting + Flash Frost + Energy Substitution + Born of Three Thunders turns every single spell you can cast into a Born of Three Thunders spell with no level adjustment (including Locate City, if you are so inclined). Requires a metric buttload of feats, though, particularly with Quick Recovery + Cumbrous Will + Bullheaded.

FMArthur
2008-08-20, 02:50 PM
This thread is about Celerity, isn't it?

Tormsskull
2008-08-20, 03:11 PM
This thread is about Celerity, isn't it?

No, I'm pretty sure its about restating things that other posters have already stated.

Rt*T