PDA

View Full Version : Online D&D?

Danin
2008-08-19, 04:27 PM
Hi there, I was wondering what websites are good to run D&D over. Gaia Online has been suggested, but are there any other websites that better facilitate this sort of thing?

Knaight
2008-08-19, 04:33 PM
I would strongly suggest Skype(a program, you can meet people through Gaia though), and Maptools(also a program). That way you can use voice, and have a virtual tabletop. And its free(so is Gaia, but still), so unless you plan on shelling out money for the fourth edition 3D table, thats your best option. Teamspeak also works, but it has a bit of a delay, so people talk over each other. And it costs money.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-19, 04:33 PM
Gaia **Shiver**

busterswd
2008-08-19, 04:34 PM
If you don't mind typing? AIM, surprisingly. It's got a dice roll built into its chat room.

//roll-diceX-sidesY or something like that.

Or add in Ventrilo to the mix if you're looking to be a more vocal DM.

Knaight
2008-08-19, 04:42 PM
Skype works as well or better than ventrilo.

RTGoodman
2008-08-19, 08:49 PM
It depends on what you're looking for. Are you interested in Play-by-Post where players just leave messages in a message board? If so, you can do that here or on basically any D&D/gaming-related forums.

If you're looking for something in real-time, I think OpenRPG's Online Virtual Tabletop (http://www.openrpg.com/) is relatively popular.

NPCMook
2008-08-19, 08:52 PM
There is also Fantasy Grounds, though its a little iffy when it comes down to it, sometimes the game will lock up for one player and boot him, so he will have to go through the painful process of logging back in

only1doug
2008-08-20, 05:51 AM
we use OoVoo (http://www.oovoo.com/download/) to teleconference people in, they have started charging for some aspects of their service but some parts are free.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-20, 08:38 AM
IRC has the best efficiency:easiness ratio, hands down. Your channel can have dice rolling macros and the like. There's also programs like OpenRPG and about a dozen others, with varying built-in tools, starting from dice, all the way to maps and customizable built-in databases.