PDA

View Full Version : Would Xykon's former dark master be proud of his evil achievements?

paladinofshojo
2008-08-19, 06:39 PM
Hey, he was able to stay in control and regain his former power and thensome even after Big Damn Heroes had destroyed his original dungeon and his minions, took over a whole nation, wiped out the Saphire Guard, and most impressive, singlehandedly killed a PC. You have to atleast give him SOME credit for being able to pull all this off.

David Argall
2008-08-19, 09:37 PM
Former Dark Masters are not proud of the achievements of former underlings. They are to be ruthlessly crushed.

Charles Phipps
2008-08-19, 09:39 PM
It'd be funny if Xykon still hasn't gotten his old master topped.

Sort of like If Sauron met Melkor.

"All you did was make a stupid ring and destroy the Numenoreans."

Ramien
2008-08-20, 05:59 PM
It does depend a lot on what exactly happened to said dark master.

Personally, I think Keith Baker overthrew the dark master as part of playtesting for an upcoming game.

NerfTW
2008-08-20, 06:20 PM
Nope, he'd still tell him that despite the usefullness of his power, he still needs someone around to direct him properly.

Like, say, Redcloak. :smalltongue:

paladinofshojo
2008-08-20, 06:34 PM
Nope, he'd still tell him that despite the usefullness of his power, he still needs someone around to direct him properly.

But he was still powerful enough to wipe out an order of paladins singlehandedly aswell as kill a PC without need of his minions.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-20, 06:38 PM
paladinofshojo making a fairly positive Xykon thread? The end is near! :smallwink:

Nah, evil masters are never proud of their former students.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-20, 06:40 PM
But he was still powerful enough to wipe out an order of paladins singlehandedly aswell as kill a PC without need of his minions.

Oh wow! You managed to kill one PC! Let's all cower before your might! One PC!
(As for the room of Pallys, slaughtering NPCs just comes with the territory of being a villain)

The Extinguisher
2008-08-20, 06:42 PM
Xykon's toppled epic level spellcasters.

You know, the people who are ridiculously overpowered!

GSFB
2008-08-20, 07:02 PM
If you are talking about the former master, I assume you already read SoD, so I won't bother spoilering this, but I think Xykon eclipsed his former master long ago, and his actions towards the end of SoD show he did finally learn to put together a good evil master plan.

Does he still get distracted? Yes. Does he still rely on sheer crushing power more than elaborate plans? Yes. But so what?

If more evil geniuses relied on overapplication of destructive power instead of long, drawn out plans, James Bond would be long dead.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-20, 07:31 PM

Like himself?

Red XIV
2008-08-20, 08:35 PM

Yes, but that's because Xykon is also an epic level spellcaster.

That doesn't show that he has an ability to overcome massively powerful opponents by out-thinking them, it shows that he can overcome massively powerful opponents by being even more massively powerful than they are.

herrhauptmann
2008-08-20, 08:41 PM

I'd swear there's a line about this in the Evil Overlord list. I know there's a few regarding your trusted lieutenant, and your own offspring. Nah, if your student is proving himself to be powerful, it might be smart to have him killed, especially if he doesn't like you. Afterall, look at Raistlin and Fistandantilus; Halaster blackcloak and his apprentices; Manshoon and Sememon.

As far as killing a pc... Well, the overall fighting platform favored Xykon in the first place. Plus, as the BBEG, Xykon is supposed to be able to kill entire parties of PCs and cohorts.

Chronos
2008-08-20, 09:06 PM
That doesn't show that he has an ability to overcome massively powerful opponents by out-thinking them, it shows that he can overcome massively powerful opponents by being even more massively powerful than they are....Which is exactly what Xykon was trying to prove in the first place.

NerfTW
2008-08-21, 09:41 AM
No, see, the master said:

You, however, have all the strategy of a rabid wombat. You just find the enemy and blast away at it with your magic. No subtlety, no skill.
(Xykon objects)
The fact is, you are more useful to me in a subordinate position, where your magic can be better directed by someone with a greater intellect.

His master wouldn't be proud of him no matter how powerful Xykon becomes, because in his mind, Xykon is still just a cannon to aimed at the enemy.

AceOfFools
2008-08-23, 12:48 AM
Nah, evil masters are never proud of their former students.

To elaborate, an evil overlord might feel towards his successful minion:

Fear: "That lackey I used to boss around conquered what?"
Envy: "I could have taken over Azure City if I had 30,000 hobgoblins at my command..."
Greed: "So it turns out an old friend of mine just took over a piece of the land and might be looking for someone with overlording experience."
(Alternatively: "The walls of Azure City are damaged, and the city is held by a force stamping out the last pockets of resistance... Interesting...")
Anger: "How dare he! Azure City was MINE!!"

For some reason I can't think of an evil overlord quote for pride that applies to an ex-minion

Emanick
2008-08-23, 12:54 AM

Envy: "I could have taken over Azure City if I had 30,000 hobgoblins at my command..."
Greed: "So it turns out an old friend of mine just took over a piece of the land and might be looking for someone with overlording experience."
(Alternatively: "The walls of Azure City are damaged, and the city is held by a force stamping out the last pockets of resistance... Interesting...")

For some reason I can't think of an evil overlord quote for pride that applies to an ex-minion

Well, well, well! I taught him THAT much, did I? :smallamused:

paladinofshojo
2008-08-23, 03:26 PM

I was thinking he would say more along the lines of "well I got to admit, I didn't think you had it in you":smallamused:

xelliea
2008-08-28, 06:21 AM
no but if he was not evil yes

Linkavitch
2008-08-28, 05:10 PM
Not 'proud', per se, but maybe he has a sense of accomplishment in himself that one of his students was able to do so much.

AceOfFools
2008-08-29, 10:45 PM

Along the lines of, "What do you expect, he trained under me?", it's not pride in the student per se, but thinking your so awesome that everyone associated with you must also inspire some sort of awe.

Also I didn't get the impression that Mr. HellDeathDoom or whatever was Xykon's mentor. More his... Overlord.

Prowl
2008-08-29, 10:51 PM

Let's just hope that 'lust' doesn't make the list. Tsukiko's bad enough.

Corrupted One
2008-08-30, 12:47 AM
In the case that Xykon does meet his former dark master, it's inevitably going to end with Xykon on the floor of his throne room, looking up from the ground at his former master, saying " But why?" to which he will reply with a, " MWAHAHAHAH!!!" And a twiddle of his evil moustache which he will undoubtebly have even if he is a lich.

Mina Kobold
2008-08-31, 08:11 AM
usually the former master think he has become so powerfull if it goes on he will be stronger than me then the former master will try to kill him before his to strong. sadly it often go the other way: the student kill his master and says somethig like who's the small one now huh, muahahaha personally bthink Xykon killed his master long ago (he got really pissed of when he wasn't choosed) :frown:

Tholok Razescar
2008-08-31, 08:14 AM
" So you overthrew a nation with an army of kobolds and zombies and killed a PC, and you wiped out the Sapphire Guard. Big deal! You get an F!"

Kish
2008-08-31, 11:34 AM
I think Xykon's former master would point out--correctly--that Redcloak's role is an implicit concession from Xykon that, indeed, the role of evil second-in-command calls for organizational skills and not merely enough power to personally blast most enemies. Then he would point out--also correctly--that massive collateral damage aside, Xykon is nowhere near achieving his goal.

FoE
2008-08-31, 12:31 PM

You haven't read SoD, or you would know Redcloak is Xykon's personal bitch. :smalltongue:

The Tygre
2008-09-01, 07:28 AM
I'm gonna' have to go with the theory that Keith Baker overthrew the Dark Overlord. He's probably an encounter in somebody's 'Over the Edge' campaign right now...