PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone else in Florida disappointed by this hurricane?

celestialkin
2008-08-19, 06:47 PM
I guess having thrown some at my players semi-frequently I expected something a bit more "epic". I guess I have been playing too much D&D lately. Real life is just not living up to the adventure.

Plus, after things get wrecked here you usually get a few days off.

Powerslave44
2008-08-19, 06:52 PM
I'm glad it died down, I wasn't too keen on the fact that it had made an appointment with I-10 the day I was moving back to Pensacola.

bosssmiley
2008-08-20, 03:26 AM
And this thread is a perfect example of why Fark.com has a "Florida" tag. :smallamused:

Ghastly Epigram
2008-08-20, 04:38 AM
:annoyed:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/GrimOswald/MotivatorThankful.jpg

:tongue:

DigoDragon
2008-08-20, 06:48 AM
I think it's bad karma to say a hurricane is dissappointing... but then again I would have liked more then one day off... but on the other hand I don't want a repeat of 2004's mess... but of course having days off WITH pay for bad weather is nice so... I guess I can't say anything. :smallsmile:

I enjoyed my day off and I'll be thankful for that. :smallsmile:

celestialkin
2008-08-20, 06:49 PM
And this thread is a perfect example of why Fark.com has a "Florida" tag. :smallamused:

Hey... should I take offense to that?

Anteros
2008-08-20, 08:42 PM
Several people died. You're dissapointed that it wasn't more. You seriously need to grow up.

celestialkin
2008-08-20, 09:00 PM
Several people died. You're dissapointed that it wasn't more. You seriously need to grow up.

More people died here in car accidents within the few minutes between our posts than die in hurricanes here in Florida. Even back when we had those three big ones, I believe at most six people died in the bigger one. What we get here is mostly property damage, and when you have lived here all your life you don't even think about it unless your roof is one of the ones which needs patching up (annoying, but nothing compared to places that get things like tornadoes and earthquakes).

Jeez dude. Get off your high horse.

TRM
2008-08-20, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that the OP was speaking in jest. :smallwink:

Well, I can't say that I mind living far away from any hurricanes. Disaster and carnage aren't really to my taste. Lots of water is nice though. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-08-20, 09:05 PM
I'm just disappointed it hasn't made its way to the Carolinas. We REALLY need some rain and I was counting on this hurricane season providing some drought relief and keep it from being 95 degrees and muggy every day. Yet, somehow, we've gotten NOTHING. I think we've maybe had rain 8 or 9 days since May.

celestialkin
2008-08-20, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that the OP was speaking in jest. :smallwink:

Well, I can't say that I mind living far away from any hurricanes. Disaster and carnage aren't really to my taste. Lots of water is nice though. :smalltongue:

Yes, it was mostly in jest.

However, I will admit that I may have grown a little complacent here. Hurricanes are big, dark, and noisy, but compared to what I consider "real" natural dangers they are not bad at all. A hurricane may cover most of my state at once, but again there are usually very few deaths with lots of property damage instead. Now, I considering that I have seen satellite photos where my whole city+ is engulfed in darkness/clouds/thunder/etc, I would never move to a place like Tornado Alley. A single one of those things only a mile wide will most likely kill far more than a hurricane would here in Florida. A place where earthquakes are common? Forget about it.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-20, 09:21 PM
Woo! Go land locked mountainous regions!

We get a few tornados a year, and those are pretty wimpy.
Oh and the thunderstorms. Really bad thunderstorms.

No hurricanes for us.

Zeb The Troll
2008-08-20, 11:49 PM
I might also point out that Fay has not yet reached hurricane status (and may not). It's so far only been a severe tropical storm. That might be why you're not as impressed by it as you think you should be. Hardly the stuff of news clips even. The tornadoes it spawned have gotten more coverage.

Nychta
2008-08-21, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't really complain. Anyway, NZ never gets hurricanes.

DigoDragon
2008-08-21, 06:38 AM
Now, I considering that I have seen satellite photos where my whole city+ is engulfed in darkness/clouds/thunder/etc, I would never move to a place like Tornado Alley. A single one of those things only a mile wide will most likely kill far more than a hurricane would here in Florida. A place where earthquakes are common? Forget about it.

One thing about a hurricane, unlike most natural disasters, is that you do get a bit of fair warning before it hits. Granted the predicted paths are sketchy, but certainly I would pick a hurricane over any other natural disaster if given the choice.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-21, 06:55 AM
Move to the Netherlands, youŽl like it here.
Lots of water, no earthquakes, no hurricanes or tornadoŽs and that kind of stuff.

Most youŽl have is the occasional flood which comes around after so many dozen years....

Ranna
2008-08-21, 10:20 AM
My sister says she got a day off school cos of it... she seems happy enough.

mangosta71
2008-08-22, 08:49 AM
In AR, the hurricane finally provided some of the drought relief that someone mentioned hoping for earlier. Really nice to finally have a bit of rain. The really great thing, though - temperatures here have been 30 degrees cooler than normal for this time of year the past few days. I can survive being in the car without having to turn my AC on full blast!

Pyrian
2008-08-22, 12:50 PM
I was all set to be disappointed by Fay, but then somebody decided to try and kite surf in it. :smallcool:

celestialkin
2008-08-22, 12:51 PM
I was all set to be disappointed by Fay, but then somebody decided to try and kite surf in it. :smallcool:

What? :smalleek:

News article link plz.

TRM
2008-08-22, 01:08 PM
Lots of water, no earthquakes, no hurricanes or tornadoŽs and that kind of stuff.

Most youŽl have is the occasional flood which comes around after so many dozen years....
*packs bags and moves in with DD*

What? :smalleek:

News article link plz.

+1
That sounds like something that I would do. >_>

edit: Here. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-0819kitesurf,0,7114998.story) and here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/966490/tropical_storm_fay_kite_surfer_bucking.html) and here (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/21/kite.surfer.improving/). There should be a video on one of those pages.

Hunter
2008-08-22, 01:20 PM
nope not really

Arlion
2008-08-22, 08:26 PM
Worst thing we can get here in Buenos Aires is a strong rain and wind

(and they are not THAT strong)

Pyrian
2008-08-22, 08:35 PM
News article link plz.No problem!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-0819kitesurf,0,7114998.story

reorith
2008-08-22, 08:36 PM
i'm kind of disappointed at the lack of devastation :(

florida kinda bugs me and i await the day the ice caps melt turning the sunshine state into a southern fried venice.

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-22, 09:55 PM

Two years ago a German exchange student was living with my best friend and we went to a competition in St. Louis and a tornado hit a couple miles away while we were driving down the highway. I'm from Indiana where we get ~90 tornadoes a year and we're only on the edge of Tornado Alley so we were all calm in the car and the German was freaking out, I must say it was amusing.

My dad always says that Hurricanes are the worst, he grew up on Long Island and lived through two of them, he prefers tornadoes.

celestialkin
2008-08-23, 12:27 AM
No problem!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-0819kitesurf,0,7114998.story

Oh, that made me feel so good.

Now where is my Darwin Award image...

Vonriel
2008-08-23, 12:42 AM
I'm surprised we haven't had anyone pretending to be an old codger come in, ranting and raving, waving their cane/stick/poker of doom, talking about how back in MY day, why, we had real hurricanes! Ones like Andrew! They picked yer house up whole and that was just what happened to yas if ya lived on the edges, by gum!

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-23, 03:46 PM
I've only been in a hurracane once.... I got ice cream ^.^

Also, being the ignorant about pretty much everything weather related weather, what is the probaility of southern Canada getting a hurracane? Is it even possible?

EmeraldRose
2008-08-23, 03:56 PM
I'm surprised we haven't had anyone pretending to be an old codger come in, ranting and raving, waving their cane/stick/poker of doom, talking about how back in MY day, why, we had real hurricanes! Ones like Andrew! They picked yer house up whole and that was just what happened to yas if ya lived on the edges, by gum!

*waves whip*
Back in my day, the hurricanes came out and got you from where you hid! These hurricanes today are all...:smallwink:

Seriously though, I've never been in a direct hit from a hurricane, but we went through several typhoons in Okinawa. I actually walked down to the sea wall during the eye of one, and watched the massive waves. It was very scary, and I will never do anything that stupid again! (though I will always remember how very powerful the storm was seen from that close! :smalleek:)

I thought Andre was going to have a heart attack. But we'd been cooped up inside for hours with no power, and I was really really bored....

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-23, 04:00 PM
*waves whip*
Back in my day, the hurricanes came out and got you from where you hid! These hurricanes today are all...:smallwink:

Seriously though, I've never been in a direct hit from a hurricane, but we went through several typhoons in Okinawa. I actually walked down to the sea wall during the eye of one, and watched the massive waves. It was very scary, and I will never do anything that stupid again! (though I will always remember how very powerful the storm was seen from that close! :smalleek:)

I thought Andre was going to have a heart attack. But we'd been cooped up inside for hours with no power, and I was really really bored....

What ER does when she's bored : See a typhoon from inside the eye of it.

I can understand why Andre freaked out....

Pyrian
2008-08-23, 04:47 PM
Also, being the ignorant about pretty much everything weather related weather, what is the probaility of southern Canada getting a hurracane? Is it even possible?It'd take a lot of global warming! Hurricanes thrive at a particular temperature range, and Canada is just too far north to get them in our current climate. Now, blizzards, on the other hand...