PDA

View Full Version : I'm a big dragon now![Racial class]

wadledo
2008-08-19, 10:44 PM
Alright, This is based off of a combination of Savage Species and my own dragon fueled brain(that and sugar).

Steel Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a)

Alignment: Steel Dragons are very loyal and methodical, and often live in humanoid cities, meaning that they are heavily predisposed to the Lawful Neutral and Lawful Good alignments.
They may be any alignment though.

Hit Die: d12+Con

Class Skills: The Steel Dragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Racial Traits
Starting Ability Score Adjustments- +2 Con. Steel Dragons are naturally hardy, but not much else once they hatch.
Small: As Small creatures, Steel Dragons gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than Medium-size creatures do, and
their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
Speed: Steel Dragons have a base land speed of 30 feet, and have a swim speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Steel Dragons can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Steel Dragons can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Immunities: All dragons have immunity to sleep and paralysis effects.
Automatic Languages: Draconic.
Favored Class: Steel Dragon
Level|Age|Hit Dice|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill Points|Special
1st|Wyrmling|1d12|+1|+2|+2|+2|(6+Int mod)×4|Feat, Bite 1d6, 2 Claws 1d4, Alternate Form 1/day, Breath Weapon 1d6 1/day
2nd|Wyrmling|1d12|+1|+2|+2|+2| -- |Glide, Breath Weapon 1d6 3/day, +2 Cha, +10 land speed
3rd|Wyrmling|2d12|+2|+3|+3|+3|(6+Int mod)|Alternate Form 2/day, Poison Resistance +5, +20 land speed, HD -1 Natural Armor
4th|Wyrmling|3d12|+3|+3|+3|+3|(6+Int mod)|Feat, Breath Weapon 5/day, 1st level sorcerer, Spell Resistance 14
5th|Wyrmling|3d12|+3|+3|+3|+3| -- |Poison Resistance +10, +30 land speed, Alternate Form 3/day, Keen Senses
6th|Wyrmling|4d12|+4|+4|+4|+4|(6+Int mod)|Feat, Breath Weapon at will, Spell resistance 16, Fly 150 (average)
7th|Very young|5d12|+5|+4|+4|+4|(6+Int mod)|2nd level sorcerer, Breath Weapon 2d6
8th|Very young|5d12|+5|+4|+4|+4| -- |+2 Int, Minor arcane shield +5
9th|Very young|6d12|+6|+5|+5|+5|(6+Int mod)|Feat, 3rd level sorcerer, +2 Str
10th|Very young|7d12|+7|+5|+5|+5|(6+Int mod)|Minor arcane shield +10, +2 Wis
11th|Young|8d12|+8|+6|+6|+6|(6+Int mod)|+2 Cha, Bite 1d8, 2 Claws 1d6, 2 Wings 1d4, Breath Weapon 3d6, change to medium size
12th|Young|8d12|+8|+6|+6|+6| -- |+2 Str, Moderate Arcane Shield +5, 4th level sorcerer
13th|Young|9d12|+9|+6|+6|+6|(6+Int mod)|Feat, +2 Int, Fly 200 (poor)
14th|Young|10d12|+10|+7|+7|+7|(6+Int mod)|+2 Con, 5th level sorcerer, Moderate Arcane Shield +10
15th|Juvenile|11d12|+11|+7|+7|+7|(6+Int mod)|+2 Wis, Breath Weapon 4d6, 6th level Sorcerer
16th|Juvenile|12d12|+12|+8|+8|+8|(6+Int mod)|Feat, +2 Con, Enthrall 1/day
17th|Juvenile|13d12|+13|+8|+8|+8|(6+Int mod)|+2 Int, 7th level Sorcerer

Breath Weapon (Su)
A steel dragon has two kinds of breath weapons: a line of acid and a cone of poisonous gas. Every creature within the area of the poisonous gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution damage per age category of the dragon. It must then succeed on a second save at the same DC 1 minute later or take the same amount of damage.

Alternate Form (Su)
A steel dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action three times per day. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Glide (Ex)
A steel dragon can use it's wings to glide, allowing 15 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Steel dragons glide at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a steel dragons’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A steel dragon can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
This ability improves at 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, adding an additional 15 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet downward(and adding another 30 onto the glide speed).
At 6th and 13th, the speed and maneuverability heightens or drops as shown on the table.

Improved land speed (Ex)
At levels 2, 3 and 5, the dragon gains the marked bonus to its land speed, eventually making the base land speed 60 feet.

Poison Resistance (Ex)
A steel dragon gets a +5 racial bonus on all Fortitude saving throws against poison.
This improves to +10 at 5th.

Natural Armor
The steel dragon gains Natural armor as it gains levels, equal to it's Hit Dice -1.

Spells
A steel dragon knows and casts arcane spells as a sorcerer of the level indicated in its variety description, gaining bonus spells for a high Charisma score.

Spell Resistance (Ex)
A steel dragon has spell resistance equal to 14, until 6th, when it equals 14+2*the age category of the dragon.

Keen Senses (Ex)
A dragon at this level sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 120 feet.
It also gains Blindsense out to 60 feet.

Minor Arcane Shield (Su)
A steel dragon's spell resistance against 1st- and 2nd-level arcane spells is higher than normal by +5.
This increases to +10 at 10th.

Moderate Arcane Shield (Su)
A steel dragon's spell resistance against 3rd- and 4th-level arcane spells is higher than normal by +5.
This increases to +10 at 14th.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Dragon class levels ala' Savage species.
So, how do they look?:smallconfused:

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-19, 11:41 PM
I like it. Though I'm wondering why it gets -1 Nat Armor at level 3? Seems kinda odd.

I'm assuming this is the first in a line of similar dragon progressions?

Draken
2008-08-19, 11:48 PM
No, no, it is not -1 Natural armor, it is "HD-1 Natural armor". Look at the description.

And... It doesn't really tick me well. Dragons gain those hit dice by aging, not by going around and killing stuff for exp (and it woul dbe silly to grow older by killing stuff for exp too).

If I were to make a dragon class, I would force it to cap at certain HD thresholds until they are at the proper age (taking Class levels if needed) before returning to their racial advance.

wadledo
2008-08-19, 11:48 PM
In no paticular order:

Not really, just because it makes me feel better about playing a dragon in a low-ish powered game.

You saw the Eragon movie, right?:smallwink::smalltongue:

The draconomicon has something similar to this, but not for low level play, and if you can't play a dragon going through childhood, I wouldn't want to play a dragon.

Stycotl
2008-08-20, 03:00 PM
has some interesting possibilities. nice.

kwanzaabot
2008-08-21, 05:11 AM
I approve of this class. :smallsmile:

As for the idea that dragons normally advance by age rather than xp, that can be dealt with with an interesting backstory. Perhaps a Steel Dragon PC could suffer from a rapid aging disorder, like in that one Robin Williams movie? Or, y'know, a Wizard did it.

Plus, as far as Dragon racial classes go, this is the one that's probably the best suited for a player, considering their native habitat.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-21, 05:38 AM
And... It doesn't really tick me well. Dragons gain those hit dice by aging, not by going around and killing stuff for exp (and it woul dbe silly to grow older by killing stuff for exp too).

I always thought that the growth in power as a dragon ages represents the experience it gains over these years. Which is why the "cast Haste at a dragon ally, causing it to age 1 year with each spell, until it gains an age rank and becomes more powerful" AD&D trick always stroke me as stupid in a very RAWtardly way.

Anyway, can this race take levels in other classes too? If that's the case, too strong for LA 0. Although too weak for LA +1, too...

SoD
2008-08-21, 05:48 AM
Anyway, can this race take levels in other classes too? If that's the case, too strong for LA 0. Although too weak for LA +1, too...

Racial classes and multi-classing. They can multi-class freely, and often have their own favoured class, but they must complete every level in the racial class before multi-classing. Otherwise, using Savage Species, you could play a succubs/incubus for the +6 cha at first level, and then take 19 levels in sorcerer (or bard, presumably).

wadledo
2008-08-21, 09:01 AM

No, and any level without skill points(which are the easiest to notice) are levels without HD.
Now, I did find the LA on crystal keep, so it's a bit wonky(total of +4 LA?:smallconfused:), but it's better than nothing.