PDA

View Full Version : Examples of Bad vampires

lisiecki
2008-08-20, 01:11 AM
I've been invited to my first vampire: the requiem game for the first time in a billion years.
Now, i know, that by default people will be playing Anne Riceish vampires, but i want to go a bit diffrent. One of the things i loved about the OLD vampire game, was the scene of power and badassatude that some vampires had.
Can any one point me towards any TV Movies, books, anime, or manga with prideful, powerful vampires? the feeling i want comes from two masquerade quotes below, and its something i cant really put in to words.
any one have anything this reminds them of?

from the players guide to the sabbat we have
"I have the power of gods in my veins. You have tattoos, a velvet vest, a top hat and a cane. Now get the **** out of my way, little "vampire," or I’ll cleave you in twain."
and from some where
"No one holds command over me.
No man. No god. No Prince.
What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see who I drag screaming to hell with me"

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-20, 01:37 AM
Maybe Vampire Knight or Witch Hunter Robin or Wicked City but Hellsing or Vampire Hunter D is probably more of what you are looking for with Anime. There was the Moonlight television series with Mick the vampire detective and best vampire friend/mentor Josef.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-20, 02:33 AM
The Sonya Blue novels by Nancy Collins. Aside from being awesome in their own right.(besides, without them, there probably never would have been a WoD....for whatever that's worth.)

DrowVampyre
2008-08-20, 02:41 AM
Deacon Frost from the first Blade movie, maybe?

The Evil Thing
2008-08-20, 03:08 AM
Everyone here is powerful, but not all are notably prideful. I'm not sure how much weight you want to put on that attribute.

Nasu-verse:
Nrvnqsr Chaos from Tsukihime (it's pronounced "Nero", by the way) is a walking menagerie of vicious animals and monsters. He's the only vampire on the list who really fulfils the "prideful" requirement.

Arcueid is supposedly the most powerful vampire currently in existence. Her Marble Phantasm is strong enough to utterly bend existence to her will. This was the case before most of the "True Ancestor" type vampires died out.

Satsuki Yumizuka is a much lower grade vampire than the above two, but she has a Reality Marble called "Depletion Garden" which drains all the mana from her surroundings. She's still strong enough to tear a human apart with her bare hands.

Kishua Zelretch Schweinorg is one of only five four possessors of "true" magic in the world. "True" magic is the Nasu-verse equivalent of hax.

Michael Roa Valdamjong isn't notably powerful but he is a strong "Dead Apostle" type and has the ability to reincarnate every so often. He is only killed when Shiki destroys his very existence instead of just his body.

Also:
Evangeline A.K. McDowell from Mahou Sensei Negima is one of the most powerful beings in the Akamatsu universe but her fragile pride means she quickly loses her dignity.

Since Vampire Knight has already been mentioned I've come up more or less dry.

chiasaur11
2008-08-20, 11:06 AM
I've been invited to my first vampire: the requiem game for the first time in a billion years.
Now, i know, that by default people will be playing Anne Riceish vampires, but i want to go a bit diffrent. One of the things i loved about the OLD vampire game, was the scene of power and badassatude that some vampires had.
Can any one point me towards any TV Movies, books, anime, or manga with prideful, powerful vampires? the feeling i want comes from two masquerade quotes below, and its something i cant really put in to words.
any one have anything this reminds them of?

from the players guide to the sabbat we have
"I have the power of gods in my veins. You have tattoos, a velvet vest, a top hat and a cane. Now get the **** out of my way, little "vampire," or I’ll cleave you in twain."
and from some where
"No one holds command over me.
No man. No god. No Prince.
What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see who I drag screaming to hell with me"

If you want out n' out badass rather than arrogant, I got a suggestion.

Astro City: Confessions. If you are disappointed...
Well, I probably misread your request. Or you wanted less humility.

lisiecki
2008-08-20, 11:42 AM
Oh

Damn

I had completly forgotten about that...

If you want out n' out badass rather than arrogant, I got a suggestion.

Astro City: Confessions. If you are disappointed...
Well, I probably misread your request. Or you wanted less humility.

AslanCross
2008-08-20, 04:40 PM
Maybe Vampire Knight or Witch Hunter Robin or Wicked City but Hellsing or Vampire Hunter D is probably more of what you are looking for with Anime. There was the Moonlight television series with Mick the vampire detective and best vampire friend/mentor Josef.

Agreed on Vampire Hunter D. Make sure to catch Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust as well.

Aquillion
2008-08-20, 04:51 PM
Don't base yourself on a TV or anime vampire. Instead, take a real-world or fictional non-vampire, and picture them as a vampire. That way, you get a character who isn't defined solely by their vampirism (which is a good thing.)

For instance, three words: Vampire César Chávez.

(Yeah, yeah, I know Brujah doesn't exist anymore. So what.)

Lochar
2008-08-20, 04:53 PM
Kim Jong-il as a vampire 4tw! :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2008-08-20, 04:59 PM
Alucard from Hellsing is incredibly badass, and an incredibly terrible person. If you don't want a very sympathetic character, he's a good one to imitate.
You will have to adjust your powers for how ridiculously overpowered Alucard is, though. He's basically Demon Superman.

TakeV
2008-08-20, 05:02 PM
The original Dracula. Nuff said.

Aquillion
2008-08-20, 05:06 PM
Kim Jong-il as a vampire 4tw! :smalltongue:
Ooo, ooo! Vampire Emperor Norton!

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-20, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't Vampire Samuel L Jackson be by definition the most badass vampire possible? (Samuel L Jackson == Badass)

Weezer
2008-08-20, 05:28 PM
The original Dracula. Nuff said.

Seconded he is one of the best vampires out there

Aquillion
2008-08-20, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't Vampire Samuel L Jackson be by definition the most badass vampire possible? (Samuel L Jackson == Badass)You would think that, but the problem is that Samuel L. Jackson is already so badass that making him a vampire can only decrease his badassery, even if just by a little.

Also, before you say it: Vampire Chuck Norris doesn't work, because you have to be able to die to become a vampire.

UglyPanda
2008-08-20, 06:31 PM
You would think that, but the problem is that Samuel L. Jackson is already so badass that making him a vampire can only decrease his badassery, even if just by a little.

Also, before you say it: Vampire Chuck Norris doesn't work, because you have to be able to die to become a vampire.
Indeed, the amount of badass acquired by becoming a vampire is not enough to counteract the amount of badass that being invincible confers upon you. What you need is someone that's awesome, but not known for their fighting prowess. I wonder what Vampire Morgan Freeman would be like.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-20, 06:36 PM
Trinity Blood has some interesting Vampire characters. You might find an inspiration there.

From the stuff your quoting, I'd suggest you forgo direct emulation of vampires and take inspiration from dudes like Dante in Devil Ma Cry.

For some real irony, copy John Constantine from Hell Blazer. Might be harder to find but those are great comics. Nothing says bad ass like a guy who'll flip of the devil and god to their faces.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-20, 06:37 PM
I support the "real world and convert" suggestion.

For direct ideas, Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt the Night (http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780345361325-5) has some solid vampire characters, without the emo that has gotten loaded on them.

Mewtarthio
2008-08-20, 06:47 PM
Seconded he is one of the best vampires out there

Wait, really? The original Dracula was pathetic. Sure, he got a few scary moments (particularly the wolf scene and the "Unclean!" scene), but once he went up against a group of people actually capable of harming him, he just spat out some useless taunts and ran away. And he couldn't even run away in a moderately badass manner: It was pretty much a game of "intercept the overseas package."

Indeed, the amount of badass acquired by becoming a vampire is not enough to counteract the amount of badass that being invincible confers upon you. What you need is someone that's awesome, but not known for their fighting prowess. I wonder what Vampire Morgan Freeman would be like.

Well, if we're going by how badass someone would be as a vampire, then there's really no way to tell. I guess it's mainly how much supressed hatred and evil they have stored up: Samuel Jackson wears his badassery on his sleeve, so there'd be no difference if he got vamped. Morgan Freeman would probably be less of a badass vampire and more of a cool puppet master vampire. The really dangerous vampires would be the people nobody takes seriously. Like Uwe Boll. Imagine if that guy had the power and the inclination to hunt down and viciously maul everyone who's given him a bad review.

Take Spike from BtVS, for instance. He's the utter loser that writes crappy poetry and always gets made fun of and dumped by his crush. So, naturally, once he's a vampire, he starts ramming railroad spikes through everybody's heads.

chiasaur11
2008-08-20, 06:48 PM

Reassuring? I mean, before he kills you.

OverWilliam
2008-08-20, 06:48 PM
How about Vampire David Caruso? :smalltongue:

Aquillion
2008-08-20, 06:52 PM
Wait, really? The original Dracula was pathetic. Sure, he got a few scary moments (particularly the wolf scene and the "Unclean!" scene), but once he went up against a group of people actually capable of harming him, he just spat out some useless taunts and ran away. And he couldn't even run away in a moderately badass manner: It was pretty much a game of "intercept the overseas package."This was actually a part of V:tM (I haven't played the newer version enough to know that it's still there.)

Basically, the idea is that vampires have lived so long (and have the potential to live so long in the future) that despite the aura of badassery that their near-invulnerability gives them, they tend to be complete cowards as soon as any real threat appears. IIRC V:tM Vampires would by default freak out and flee at the sight of large open fire, for instance.

They only seem badass because they can stare down guns without too much worry of being hurt. As soon as they face a real threat, though, most vampires make a break for it, because they actually have much more to lose than normal humans.

Collin152
2008-08-20, 07:10 PM
because they actually have much more to lose than normal humans.

Like what? I don't think a vampire loses much more when they die than a human does.

DarknessLord
2008-08-20, 07:30 PM
On the non-vampire to vampire conversion, may I recommend Jack Nicholson?

How awesome would that be?

Aquillion
2008-08-20, 07:39 PM
Like what? I don't think a vampire loses much more when they die than a human does.A human knows they'll die of old age eventually, so they can say that they're just dying young. Many humans also have a religious belief in an afterlife that very few vampires embrace (or, if they do embrace, that they don't think they have a shot at.)

A vampire, though, does have a shot at physical immortality, which humans generally don't. Who would want to burn to death in some filthy alley or risk getting killed by mayfly-lived humans when they could potentially sit around and watch the world for the next few millennia?

OverWilliam
2008-08-20, 07:44 PM
I agree with Aquillion, but I think it's a misleading way of saying it. It's not that they have more to lose, per se, it's that dieing is more serious to a vampire. They've put all this work into achieving immortality in the first place, they're not going to risk losing it for such a thing as ego. I mean, for us it's going to happen eventually. For a lot of vampires, even just the threat of dieing is a once in a millennium kind of thing. Most vampires are genre-savvy enough to know that the once in several hundred years shot is just rare enough to be seriously dangerous, so it's safer to win all the other times and just run in the event of a true threat.

Knaight
2008-08-20, 08:31 PM
Vampire Vin Diesel. Sure he's not a great actor, but then again neither was Chuck Norris.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-20, 08:49 PM
Vampire Jason Statham FTW!

Gavin Sage
2008-08-20, 09:06 PM
Alucard from Hellsing is incredibly badass, and an incredibly terrible person. If you don't want a very sympathetic character, he's a good one to imitate.
You will have to adjust your powers for how ridiculously overpowered Alucard is, though. He's basically Demon Superman.

Alucard while an awesome, awesome vampire is a poor example for V:tR for that reason. Unless they've brought Vicissitude-like cosmic horror body morphing into the new game, he isn't really doable.

TheElfLord
2008-08-20, 09:11 PM
Victor from Underworld, especially the scene where he breaks a lycan's neck with one hand, has always been a great example of a badass elder in V:tM.

Lady Tialait
2008-08-20, 09:14 PM
Personal Favorite,...Uncle Malkav (http://www.geocities.com/malkavianmailinglist/advice001.html)!

Holocron Coder
2008-08-20, 09:15 PM
If I could suggest an example of Alucard badassery... search youtube for 'hellsing crimson king'. Should be the second movie (has dark background, him looking left)

bibliophile
2008-08-20, 09:27 PM
Wait, really? The original Dracula was pathetic. Sure, he got a few scary moments (particularly the wolf scene and the "Unclean!" scene), but once he went up against a group of people actually capable of harming him, he just spat out some useless taunts and ran away. And he couldn't even run away in a moderately badass manner: It was pretty much a game of "intercept the overseas package."

Dracula was pathetic because his was lacking in guts, and according to Van Helsing, he didn't really know his own powers or limitations too well. Imagine what he could do if he knew exactly what he could do. He could (possibly) try to open, more, his link to Mina and have her murder them in their sleep. Even if she fails, they have a huge moral loss. Or heck, just mind control every madman in the asylum, and over whelm Van Helsing's group.

lisiecki
2008-08-20, 10:49 PM
If only i thought i could some how do justice to a vampire Sam Jackson

kjones
2008-08-20, 11:24 PM
Is there a reason Angel, Spike, and Drusilla from Buffy the Vampire Slayer haven't been mentioned yet?

Fan
2008-08-20, 11:27 PM
Is there a reason i haven't been mentioned yet, i mean I have like four pages of backstory, that I just did in the past day.:smalltongue:

lisiecki
2008-08-20, 11:31 PM
Honestly
I got this whole idea from a Buffy/Angel marathon me, my girlfriend, and her roommate had.
It was the Spike in "Lovers walk" where he shows that hes just has an alien concept of thinking.
And the Gladiator epsoid from angel (the second one with Westley)
Where Angel explains to the demon lawyer how he is more than willing to die as a "**** you" gesture to said demon lawyers for trying to get him to sell his morals for freedom

chiasaur11
2008-08-20, 11:36 PM
Dracula was pathetic because his was lacking in guts, and according to Van Helsing, he didn't really know his own powers or limitations too well. Imagine what he could do if he knew exactly what he could do. He could (possibly) try to open, more, his link to Mina and have her murder them in their sleep. Even if she fails, they have a huge moral loss. Or heck, just mind control every madman in the asylum, and over whelm Van Helsing's group.

Of course, Dracula based more on Vlad the Impaler is a scary, scary person/undead. That man knew how to genocide.

lisiecki
2008-08-21, 12:22 AM
this is very, very true.
and, purely arrogant

Of course, Dracula based more on Vlad the Impaler is a scary, scary person/undead. That man knew how to genocide.

Doresain
2008-08-21, 01:26 AM
why not make a vampire based on a serial killer?

like what if jack the ripper was a vampire?

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-21, 01:43 AM
You could style your vampire after Xellos from Slayers -- granted, not a vampire, but he's a supernatural being and not entirely unlike a vampire (feeds on negative feelings rather than blood).

Of course, with any would-be "badass" character, their behavior is either bluff and bluster, a result of actually being that powerful, or simply fearlessness even in the face of overwhelming odds and near-certain death.

Xellos doesn't even make an issue of how strong he is and mostly is just cool, casual and unphazable, even letting people smack him around a little (because he can take it without any problems), but you know that when he gets serious, it's going to be impressive.

Really, you can just draw inspiration from any protaganist or antagonist anywhere in fiction who happens to be confident or arrogant or whatever you're after, regardless of whether that character is a vampire or not. Just remember that if you're cocky and arrogant, sooner or later, someone's going to try to call your bluff.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-21, 02:53 PM

Take Spike from BtVS, for instance. He's the utter loser that writes crappy poetry and always gets made fun of and dumped by his crush. So, naturally, once he's a vampire, he starts ramming railroad spikes through everybody's heads.

What about Dracula when he fought Buffy?

Tengu_temp
2008-08-21, 03:03 PM
I think Alucard would be much cooler if he wasn't so stupidly overpowered. It doesn't require any effort to be a badass where none of your opponents can really do anything to you.

mostlyharmful
2008-08-21, 03:45 PM
What about Dracula when he fought Buffy?

Whining poser with a few parlour tricks, until the vampires in Buffy/Angel go on a mamoth killling/recruiting spree until the human civilization comes crashing down I'll keep thinking of them as a bunch of big mouthed losers, Hardass MoFs that enjoy being outnumbered like Spike aside of course.

If you want badassery I'd go for some of the action/pulp heroes that aren't nessecarily bloodsuckers that you like (say, Hellboy or MadMax) and add in an addiction to Opositve on top.

Mewtarthio
2008-08-21, 05:06 PM
Is there a reason Angel, Spike, and Drusilla from Buffy the Vampire Slayer haven't been mentioned yet?

I guess the only problem with Spike is the way he horribly broken and de-badassified (up until he reverts back to badass in season seven, anyway). I'd say best episodes to check out for him are "School Hard" from Season Two (his introduction--"From now on, there's going to be a lot less ritual and a lot more fun around here!") and "Fool for Love" in Season Five (his backstory episode--and, coincidentally, the last episode in which he is badass).

FYI, I mentioned Spike earlier. :smallwink: Still, it was only as part of an example, so I can see how you overlooked it.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-21, 05:13 PM
Honorable mentions (although they're only half-vampires):

Blade from the movies of the same name, and ...

Rayne from the Bloodrayne games.

Edit: Actually, from the first Blade, Deacon Frost, too. Even if he died stupidly, he was otherwise pretty well-suited to the style you seem to want.

TedEBearNC
2008-08-21, 05:29 PM
My favorites are Thibor and Faethor Ferenczy from the 'Necroscope' series of books by Brian Lumley. Well.. mainly the first two books: Necroscope and Necroscope II: Wamphyri!... and more of their story is told in the second book than the first.

NeoVid
2008-08-23, 12:53 PM
I'm disturbed that no one has mentioned Cassidy, the northern Irish alcoholic sleazebag from Preacher. He didn't meet another vampire for nearly 70 years after he'd been changed, and once he did, he listened to the speech the guy was giving, and this exchange happened:

"Aww damn.... you're a wanker, aren't yeh?"
"Wanker? Is that a variation on wampyr?"

only1doug
2008-08-23, 03:15 PM
its what cassidy finally did to the other Vampire that really establishes his badassness to me.

staking the only other vampire you've ever met out on a rooftop at dawn is a bad thing isn't it?

The Rose Dragon
2008-08-23, 03:42 PM
Then again, Cassidy is not badass at all. He acts the badass pretty well, but once you get down to it, all he wants to do is sleep with his best friend's girl.

Except in the last few issues, he gets redeemed in the coolest way ever.

He makes a deal with God that no matter what happens that night between him and Jesse, they both leave the scene alive. And in a way, they do. Jesse gets resurrected (with his eye bitten off by God intact) and Cassidy, after exploding in sunlight, returns as a human. Naturally, it's awesome.

EDIT: And then God dies. Of course it's Garth Ennis.

hamishspence
2008-08-23, 03:47 PM
I think the Nick Butcher Dresden Files novel series had powerful vampires of multiple kinds. I'm told the TV version isn't as good as the books though.

alexi
2008-08-24, 12:05 AM
eugene hutz as a vampire... I think vampires if they existed would be more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_81l4DXlwM

SurlySeraph
2008-08-24, 05:34 AM
I think Alucard would be much cooler if he wasn't so stupidly overpowered. It doesn't require any effort to be a badass where none of your opponents can really do anything to you.

True, but the fights are really exciting before you realize that he'll never be hurt so badly that he can't regenerate.