PDA

View Full Version : A PrC for My Rogue

Kesnit
2008-08-20, 07:28 AM
My CN (bordering on CG) Kender Rogue just hit 5th level and I am researching some PrC's to eventually take him into. He'll stay as a Rogue until LVL 10 (I want Cripling Strike), but want to decide now so I can take feats (if necessary) at LVL's 6 and 9.

STR 13
DEX 19
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 11
CHA 10
(Abilities were rolled, which is why STR and WIS are odd.)

Feats: Weapon Finesse, TWF.
Skills: Focusing on Tumble, MS, and UMD, but have a few points in just about every Rogue skill.

Currently uses a SS and Dagger, but will eventually switch to 2 SS.

The rest of the group consists of a Wizard (planning to go Elemental Savant, Fire focus), Vow of Povery Monk, and a Archery-focused Ranger. We have a DMPC Cleric, but I don't think he'll stick around much longer (and he's not terribly useful).

1) No evil. Evil PC's die a horrible death. Would prefer not to take a class that requires non-good since I suspect he will eventually end up as CG.
2) Continues SA, or something like it. I'm Small, meaning most of my damage comes from SA. It wouldn't have to be every other level like Rogue, but I can't go 10 levels without it.
3) If a PrC has a "Special" requirement, I will have to actually do it, rather than just say I did.

I'm leaning towards Nightsong Enforcer or Nightsong Infiltrator. (We have to train our levels anyway, so fulfilling the Special requirement will not be an issue.)

Telonius
2008-08-20, 08:00 AM
There aren't all that many PrCs that work terribly well with Rogues. However, there is one multiclass combination that does the job pretty well. Take a few levels in Swashbuckler (from Complete Warrior) and the Daring Outlaw feat (from Complete Scoundrel). You might want to stick in Rogue for three levels if you like any of the other abilities; the Savvy Rogue feat (also from Complete Scoundrel) will help you out.

Chronos
2008-08-20, 11:15 AM
What books are allowed? One of my current favorites is a one-level dip in Incarnate, followed by at least three levels of Umbral Disciple (both Magic of Incarnum). You get some boosts to skills and other things from soulmelds (I would recommend Theft Gloves, for a boost to thiefy skills, and Dissolving Spittle, for an at-will ranged touch attack you can sneak attack with), and from Umbral Disciple, some sneak attack progression, six skill points per level, and a variety of shadowy powers, including concealment and Hide in Plain Sight at 3rd.

Darrin
2008-08-20, 11:59 AM
I'm leaning towards Nightsong Enforcer or Nightsong Infiltrator. (We have to train our levels anyway, so fulfilling the Special requirement will not be an issue.)

Nightsong Enforcer, Swashbuckler + Daring Outlaw, and Incarnate + Umbral Disciple would all be great builds.

Is ToB allowed? A one-level dip into SwordSage would get you Island of Blades (flank with any adjacent ally), a nice assortment of maneuvers, and could lead into Bloodclaw Master for canceling out those TWF penalties. From there you could add Assassin's Stance for another 2d6 sneak attack, and maybe some of the shadow jump maneuvers.

A dip into Duskblade or Avenger and then Unseen Seer might be interesting. Also, 2-3 levels of Warlock + Unseen Seer would advance both sneak attack and eldritch blast/invocations. Add Blend Into Shadows for Hide in Plain Sight at will.

Xyk
2008-08-20, 12:57 PM
If you're gonna dip into swordsage, go 2 levels for AC bonus (forgot about 11 wis) and stance. Meh, 1 level would work. Also check complete adventurer for rogue-related PrCs.

Kesnit
2008-08-20, 01:11 PM
What books are allowed? One of my current favorites is a one-level dip in Incarnate, followed by at least three levels of Umbral Disciple (both Magic of Incarnum).

The DM is pretty conservative about what books he allows. We play in DragonLance, which doesn't have Incarnum, so I'd say this is out.

He has allowed Complete books, BoED, and any specific DL books.

Is ToB allowed?

Good question. I can ask. I'm not terribly familiar with ToB, so tend not to think of those classes.

A dip into Duskblade or Avenger and then Unseen Seer might be interesting. Also, 2-3 levels of Warlock + Unseen Seer would advance both sneak attack and eldritch blast/invocations.

I have a CHA of 10, so Warlock won't do much good. (I don't have all my books handy, but doesn't Duskblade require CHA, too?) Where is Avenger and Unseen Seer?

RTGoodman
2008-08-20, 01:30 PM
Since you're in a DL game you might could check out the Handler PrC in the War of the Lance sourcebook. It doesn't advance Sneak Attack though, and off-hand I think it requires a big focus on Sleight of Hand, so it's probably out. It does get some cool stuff, though (like pick-pocketing enemies as you Sneak Attack them).

The Invisible Blade PrC in Complete Warrior might work if you switch to daggers instead of short swords and can convince your DM to get rid of the Far Shot and Point-Blank Shot feat requirements (or replace them with something else). The class was originally part of a single Daggermaster PrC along with Master Thrower, but they got split up and Invisible Blade accidentally kept the old (and mostly useless) pre-requisites. I know it gives SA and some other nifty abilities. The feinting abilities got nerfed by errata, though, so no more free action feinting for multiple sneak attacks per round.

From Complete Adventurer, you might check out Exemplar (for Skill Mastery and whatnot, though your Int isn't high enough to get a TON of use out of it), Streetfighter (which would require two feats and some skill points but has some decent benefits), and/or Thief-Acrobat (which has a bunch of, well, acrobatic abilities but no SA).

Complete Scoundrel has Luck feats and the Fortune's Friend PrC which might not be very optimized, but I've always thought would be very cool (and somehow appropriate) for a Kender. It also has the Mountebank, which gets some infiltration and teleportation abilities (and +3d6 SA), but requires ranks in some spellcaster-type skills (and doesn't really work that well in Dragonlance, in my opinion). You could go for Uncanny Trickster, which gives skill tricks and advances any classes features for 2 of 3 levels.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-20, 01:35 PM
FRCS PRCs Shadow Thief of Amn or Shadowlord. Possibly the Spymaster or the Master Spy (2 different PRCs one is 5 level and the other is 7 level). Maybe the Unseen Seer with a level dip into a Arcane spellcasting class like Beguiler (No ASF in light armor) or Diviner to be able to cast 2 divination spells. Maybe something like the Herald PRC or the Merchant Prince PRC from Powers of Faerun.

crazedloon
2008-08-20, 01:59 PM
If it is available I have always found dread commando to be a nice class.

Unfortunately the extra damage is sudden strike dice but it does progress these at three levels giving you a +3d6 sudden strike.
It provides a nice full attack progression which will be a nice boost to your normal rogue Bab
its "cap" ability allows you to move at a normal speed while hiding which increases your stealth a bit.
And the nicest part of the class is it gives you a Init boost of 5 (at 5th level but variable for how ever many levels you take it so 1-5) which your group will benefit from and will thank you for if you can be seen by them
And if you find you are wearing heavier armor for some reason it reduces the check penalties from them

The only bad part is you need dodge and mobility as the prereques

Darrin
2008-08-20, 02:36 PM
I have a CHA of 10, so Warlock won't do much good. (I don't have all my books handy, but doesn't Duskblade require CHA, too?) Where is Avenger and Unseen Seer?

Warlocks don't necessarily have to have high Cha if none of their invocations have saves.

Duskblade is an Int-based caster. They need two divination spells for Unseen Seer... true strike counts, but I'm not sure if their detect magic spell-like ability counts as a divination spell. If not, then you can take Arcane Disciple: Knowledge Domain to pick up comprehend languages another 1st level divination spell.

Unseen Seer is in Complete Mage. Stealth-based arcane caster that advances precision damage. Only requires 1st level arcane spells, but needs at least two divination spells.

Avenger was released on the WotC website as part of an April Fools thing, but it's a solid PrC. Basically a "good" version of the Assassin PrC. Like the Assassin, it does involve a special requirement: "The character must have killed an enemy leader or champion in defense of his homeland or nation."

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

Another Int-based caster, and it has true strike, but you'd have to take detect poison as your second divination spell to get into Unseen Seer.

However, Advanced Learning at Unseen Seer 2nd, 5th, and 8th allows you to add any divination spell to your spells known, such as: sniper's shot (Assassin 1, swift action, sneak attack with no range limitation), critical strike (Assassin 1, swift action, +1d6 sneak attack, double crit range, +4 to confirm), detect thoughts (Truth domain 1, Races of Eberron), guided shot (Spell Compendium, swift action, ignore range/cover/concealment penalties), or see invisibility (Unapproachable East, Runescarred Berserker 1st level spell).

Other advice: Pick up Staggering Strike at 9th level if at all possible. Every time you hit with a sneak attack, target has to make a Fort save with the total damage as the DC or they are staggered for 1 round.

Telonius
2008-08-20, 02:39 PM
I'd be careful with INT-based casters, since his INT is only 12 at the moment. (I'd strongly advise bumping that up, ASAP).

Chronos
2008-08-20, 02:50 PM
I have a CHA of 10, so Warlock won't do much good. (I don't have all my books handy, but doesn't Duskblade require CHA, too?) Where is Avenger and Unseen Seer?Warlock only uses Cha for saving throw DCs, so if you just pick invocations that don't have saves, it's not an issue. And Duskblade is entirely Int-based.

Avenger is a copy-and-paste of the assassin, with just the fluff and alignment changed. It was posted online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a). Unseen Seer is what the Arcane Trickster should have been, with full spellcasting progression and 6 skill points per level, and is from Complete Mage.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-20, 07:13 PM
Here's an interesting one: Royal Herald:

http://www.geocities.com/evan_dnd/prestige/official/herald.html

Person_Man
2008-08-21, 09:34 AM
A one level dip into Master of Masks gives you proficiency in every melee and exotic weapon (net, lasso, mancatcher, harpoon, etc). This is more useful at low levels, though.

Exemplar is useful if you have a particular Skill combo you want to maximize (Diplomancy, Nanobots, Iaijutsu Focus, etc).

Master Thrower gives you Quick Draw, Improved Evasion, full BAB, and can double the number of attacks you can make, make them all trip attacks, and make them all touch attacks. IMO, its your best offensive choice.

Also, be sure to pick up the Savvy Rogue feat from Complete Scoundrel. It allows Crippling Strike to apply to enemies who are otherwise immune.

Doresain
2008-08-21, 09:57 AM
there is always the shadowbane stalker...