PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quotes/Scenes that will never be in the movies

TopRamen
2008-08-20, 07:47 AM
What are some of your favorite badass/ risque scenes and quotes from various comics that would NEVER make any of the upcoming movies?

I'll start out with a couple classics.
Captain France
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/ianinozzie/UltimateCaptainAmerica.jpg

Goddamn Batman
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/GoddamnBatman.jpg

A couple of other favs of mine that I couldn't find pics for:

When Ultimate Wasp flashes the Ultimate Hulk to distract him.

When Ultimate Hulk eats, then later poops out the Skrull Chitauri invaders.

I know 3/4 of my examples are from the Ultimates and none of these are canon to the main universes. That's why I like them though, the writers have freedom to be edgier than they would in the main universes.

Anyone wanna share any other favorites?

Finn Solomon
2008-08-20, 08:34 AM
All of Preacher. None of Preacher will ever make it to the big screen.

sikyon
2008-08-20, 03:12 PM
Oh I don't know. I could see Goddamn Batman in a movie. I could not see "DAMN YOU AND YOUR LEMONADE!!!"

Zaphrasz
2008-08-20, 03:56 PM
Not actually a fan of the Captain America one. Captain America's line is something of a non sequitor; why would I think an A referred to France? What does France have to do with this situation anyway?

Batman's line is crude and somewhat out of character for him, but I use the phrase "Goddamn Batman" too often to hate it.

Friv
2008-08-20, 04:27 PM
Not actually a fan of the Captain America one. Captain America's line is something of a non sequitor; why would I think an A referred to France? What does France have to do with this situation anyway?

It was written during that whole period when the US was making fun of France for not supporting them, and implying that the only thing France does when faced with adversity is surrender. So, see, Captain America wouldn't surrender, he's not french.

:smallannoyed: Yeah.

Never mind that, as someone from the forties, the Cap would actually have fought alongside the Free French Forces. You know, the guys who refused to stop fighting just because their entire nation was occupied?

It's an immensely stupid line and I hate even remembering that it exists.

Anyway... hm. Not sure what scenes I would like to see. A lot of the best stuff from Fables, but that's not going to show up on the big screen more because it isn't important enough than anything else.

Jack's confrontation with Goldilocks in Jack of Fables would be a good one, if only to see actual actors handling the raw absurdity involved.

Hzurr
2008-08-20, 04:45 PM
The Captain America France line is simultaniously one of the greatest and worst lines in the Ultimates, and everyone I've met either cracked up at it or hated it. I definately see both sides on it.

Not suprisingly, I recently purchased a copy of Ultimates Vol 1 in French, and for some strange reason, they changed that line...

It was written during that whole period when the US was making fun of France for not supporting them, and implying that the only thing France does when faced with adversity is surrender. So, see, Captain America wouldn't surrender, he's not french.

Never mind that, as someone from the forties, the Cap would actually have fought alongside the Free French Forces. You know, the guys who refused to stop fighting just because their entire nation was occupied? However, this episode of the Ultimates was supposed to take place in '04, or thereabouts, so Cap's line actually fit right in to the time period he was supposed to be in. It's actually not all that unusual. Also, although he would have faught with the French Resistance, he would have also faught against members of the Vishy (I don't think I'm spelling that right) government, and the French who surrendered to/allied with the Germans.

Hmm...I'm tempted to say that that they could never do "Powers" but I can see someone like HBO making it into a tv show. They're the only ones who could get away with some of the stuff that's in there.

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-20, 06:09 PM
Batman's line is crude and somewhat out of character for him, but I use the phrase "Goddamn Batman" too often to hate it.
Oh, this is the Frank Miller Batman, remember? Perfectly on-track for that version.

Zaphrasz
2008-08-20, 06:20 PM
It didn't come across well, but I knew that was why they said the line, I was hoping to point out the absurdity of it.

sikyon
2008-08-20, 08:37 PM
It didn't come across well, but I knew that was why they said the line, I was hoping to point out the absurdity of it.

The french, supposedly a major military european power surrendered to germany extremly quickly in WWII.

Thus, they are known for surrendering. Accurate? No. Indicative of their level of respect? Yes.

turkishproverb
2008-08-20, 09:20 PM
My favorite that will never be in a movie is from LEX LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL

"You've been reffered to by some as the world's greatest Boy Scout....

...fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

As if that were some inseparable Holy Trinity.

Truth? That's in the teller. Just calmly massaged words that may be nothing but carefully finessed lies.

Justice? Belongs to the Judge, who sits above those who put him there because they can't trust themselves.

And the American Way? It constantly evolves out of something that proves to be true and a lie, just and more...

...All men are created equal.

All men are created equal.

All men.

You are not a man...

But they've made you their hero...

...and they worship you.

So tell me...

...what redemption do you offer them?"

Laurentio II
2008-08-21, 05:12 AM
The Doom Patrol. Crazy Jane (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Challis) would be hard to reproduce on any non-comic media. I've seen Rain Brain at work, and it's... confusing.

Nevrmore
2008-08-21, 07:37 AM

Hate to tell you this, dude, but Americans have made fun of the French only surrendering for far longer than the "Oh no they aren't supporting our war." thing.

Ragabash
2008-08-21, 07:46 AM
Hate to tell you this, dude, but Americans have made fun of the French only surrendering for far longer than the "Oh no they aren't supporting our war." thing.

And it was just as silly before 2003 as it was after. Except for the whole "freedom fries" thing. That was hilarious. "The french aren't supporting us! Let's rename our belgian food! That'll show 'em."

WalkingTarget
2008-08-21, 08:42 AM
I think it was more ridiculous when a lot of people went and bought French wine so they could make a big show of pouring it in the gutter.

Pay them for their product and then waste it. That'll show 'em. :smallsigh:

TopRamen
2008-08-21, 08:48 AM

Yeah, I remember people making the joke about the new French tanks (1 gear forward, 5 in reverse) when I was in middle school, about 1997.

I don't agree, obviously, but it is funny.

Friv
2008-08-21, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I remember people making the joke about the new French tanks (1 gear forward, 5 in reverse) when I was in middle school, about 1997.

I don't agree, obviously, but it is funny.

Yeah? Ok, I guess that's just one of the things that we didn't get in Canada.

Still think it's dumb, but I don't want to derail the thread with discussions about historical perceptions vs actual history.

Actually, pretty much any cool scene with Hyde in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, especially the one...

... involving the Invisible Man's blood gradually becoming visible all over Hyde as he dies.

TopRamen
2008-08-21, 01:12 PM
Actually, pretty much any cool scene with Hyde in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, especially the one...
Oh yeah, forgot about that, that whole scene wouldn't make it. Graphic male rape for some reason isn't popular on the big screen. Unless it's in a prison. (American History X, Shawshank Redemption, OZ)

The Demented One
2008-08-21, 02:33 PM
I doubt Runaways will ever get a big screen adaptation, just because of how obscure it is, but pretty much anytime Molly's fighting, it's a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Guyinthestreet
2008-08-23, 09:38 AM
The Captain America France line is simultaniously one of the greatest and worst lines in the Ultimates, and everyone I've met either cracked up at it or hated it. I definately see both sides on it.

Maybe that "A" stands for Australia.

Thufir
2008-08-23, 10:01 AM
I doubt Runaways will ever get a big screen adaptation, just because of how obscure it is, but pretty much anytime Molly's fighting, it's a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

You think so? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaways_(comics)#Film)

The Rose Dragon
2008-08-23, 11:05 AM
Anything the Female ever does. Just because the rest of the Boys is filled with things that will never make the movies.

comicshorse
2008-08-23, 11:07 AM
Pretty much anything in 'The Boys', particularl Tech-Knights gallant and ,er, sticky, end

Irenaeus
2008-08-23, 06:08 PM
Not sure about my favourite quote, but judging from the trailer, the following line did not make it into Watchmen: "And all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"... And I'll look down and whisper 'no.' "

And it was just as silly before 2003 as it was after. Except for the whole "freedom fries" thing. That was hilarious. "The french aren't supporting us! Let's rename our belgian food! That'll show 'em."I prefer Liberty Cabbage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_cabbage) and Roses of the Prophet Muhammad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry#Cartoon_controversy).

Revlid
2008-08-23, 06:23 PM
Not sure about my favourite quote, but judging from the trailer, the following line did not make it into Watchmen: "And all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"... And I'll look down and whisper 'no.' "

I know! "And all the people"? what the hell? Ah well.

And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Mr. (French? :smallconfused:) Canadian, but the Brits have been taking the mickey out of the French for their ignominious surrender decades before Iraq.

Black Panther, the whole thing about how Wakanda has already cured cancer, aids, etc, but refuse to release the cures to the outside world. This is meant to make them look good. Man, Hudlin's an idiot.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-23, 06:29 PM
You think so? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaways_(comics)#Film)

Sweet merciful awesome!

Finn Solomon
2008-08-23, 10:54 PM

Never mind that, as someone from the forties, the Cap would actually have fought alongside the Free French Forces. You know, the guys who refused to stop fighting just because their entire nation was occupied?

As a combatant in World War 2, I would think that Captain America would have remembered the Vichy French, who surrendered to the Nazis and assisted them in betraying and oppressing their own countrymen, as well as far outnumbering the Free French Forces. You see, Cap remembers history, even if you don't. :smallsigh:

Tirian
2008-08-24, 05:53 AM
As a combatant in World War 2, I would think that Captain America would have remembered the Vichy French, who surrendered to the Nazis and assisted them in betraying and oppressing their own countrymen, as well as far outnumbering the Free French Forces. You see, Cap remembers history, even if you don't. :smallsigh:

And, having been schooled in military tactics, he would recall that it would be an equivalent hyperbole to claim that there is an America to be Captain of because Lafayette pulled our fat out of the fire in 1781. Just a really ham-fisted way for Mark Millar to say "This isn't your father's Captain America."

Friv
2008-08-24, 10:44 AM
Sweet merciful awesome!

Holy crap, a Runaways movie had better be the best thing ever. Now I have something new and exciting to look forwards to.

(And still not going to get involved in a political debate on a comic book thread, guys, so leave it be.)

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-24, 02:29 PM
Movies of obscure comics are usually a bad idea because either the budget is **** but they try to be faithful or they know they can get away with mucking things up because only a few people will notice.

krossbow
2008-08-25, 09:47 PM

Anyway... hm. Not sure what scenes I would like to see. A lot of the best stuff from Fables, but that's not going to show up on the big screen more because it isn't important enough than anything else.

Jack's confrontation with Goldilocks in Jack of Fables would be a good one, if only to see actual actors handling the raw absurdity involved.

perhaps your unfamiliar with the vichy government http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_France ? half of france not only did not resist germany, but COLLABORATED with them.

kpenguin
2008-08-25, 10:15 PM
(And still not going to get involved in a political debate on a comic book thread, guys, so leave it be.)

Historical. The debate is over what happened during WWII, not policies of today.

Finn Solomon
2008-08-26, 06:56 AM

What's there to debate? Everything is accepted, verifiable, unassailable fact.

Irenaeus
2008-08-26, 11:23 AM
perhaps your unfamiliar with the vichy government http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_France ? half of france not only did not resist germany, but COLLABORATED with them.Your statement is misleading. That is like saying that because of the Quisling government, the entire country of Norway collaborated with the German occupational forces. A collaborationist regime established after a total military defeat does not in any way indicate local support.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-26, 12:24 PM
Dude, you didn't even get halfway through the first page before Godwin's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) was invoked. :smallannoyed:

BRC
2008-08-26, 03:43 PM
Getting back to the point of the thread.

Transmetropolitan, all of it.

Zaphrasz
2008-08-26, 06:01 PM
It doesn't matter what the history of France was, the comment was still a poor one. He is implying that all French people surrender when given the chance. It is not a nice comment, and there is no baddass factor to mitigate that. We are left with what is supposed to be the paragon of American patriotism making racist comments.

thevorpalbunny
2008-08-26, 07:36 PM
Cultureist, actually. And it is true that the French have been about 20 years behind the other powers since approximately the fall of Napoleon, and generally had to surrender ignominiously because of it. As an example, they weren't prepared for WWI until shortly before WWII.

krossbow
2008-08-26, 11:55 PM
Look.

World war two was fought against what is generally accepted to be the most clearly dangerous and malevolent government/force of the past 100 years.

England and Russia fought TO THE DEATH against them. There was NO surrender. The russians literally threw there own men at them to die fighting barehanded rather than be conquered. The english fought in from a city that was reduced to rubble yet STILL did not give up.

The french rolled surrendered when the german army had breached their borders. You can make a statement that it was reasonable to do so: EXCEPT that it was only by going to truly unreasonable lengths were the other nations of europe able to repel Germany.

The French could have fought bitterly to the last man. However, not only did they surrender rather than risk their civilization, they openly sent jews to their deaths, in an act of appeasement selling out their own people. This was not a small group, this was a very, very large portion of france.

Granted, their was a resistance. However, when compared to russia and Britain's suicidal defense against genocide, it pales.
You can say that no one could expect someone to willingly give their own lives to defeat someone, with an almost certain knowlege of death in the coming battle. However, that was exactly what was required to defeat germany.

Dalenthas
2008-08-27, 08:54 AM
This is directed at Krossbow, if there's any doubt:

Yes, England and Russia fought tooth and nail to stop Germany.... after France had already been conquered. By the time the French knew they were at war, there were German tanks in Paris. Are you going to make fun of the Polish for giving up too? The English and the Russians had terrain advantedges preventing the German Blitzkrieg from working (it's hard to get tanks across the English Chanell, or the Russian winter for that matter). Not to mention that Russia was planning on sitting WWII out until Germany decided that half of Poland wasn't enough...

krossbow
2008-08-27, 09:26 AM
The russians had tanks in their country too when they were suprise attacked (yes, Russia had a non-aggression treaty with Germany, which makes it all the more insane that hitler chose to break it while still fighting europe). However, the point is, Other countrys went to Completely extreme lengths to defeat the Germans.

France did not; while it did have a French resistance movement, its size and scope are truly laughable compared to even the north african and mediteranean nations that resisted germany. To insinuate that France's forces were in any way shape or form on the same level as other countries (or that Captain america would respect them as much as the suicidally tenancious English and Russians) is rather misplaced.

Laurentio II
2008-08-27, 11:07 AM
I propose to open a new thread on the original topic, and let people continue squatting french politic debates here.

krossbow
2008-08-27, 03:04 PM
I propose to open a new thread on the original topic, and let people continue squatting french politic debates here.

Point taken; i should probably apologize for going off topic then.

Anyways, the scene in which bane breaks batman's back definitely comes to mind.

TopRamen
2008-08-28, 11:13 AM
You know, it just occurred to me that the above squabbling is precisely the reason that the quote wouldn't appear in any movie. :)

thevorpalbunny
2008-08-28, 01:19 PM
This is true. With that settled, anyone else have lines?

I'm sure I've heard some but I don't remember what they were.

comicshorse
2008-08-28, 05:49 PM
" I don't know where anyone got the idea that Angels are beautific, they scare the crap out of me."

Hellblazer

Or the First of the Fallens description of god, summed up by Constantine as being 'madder than a sack of ********s.'

Irenaeus
2008-09-01, 03:53 AM
Point taken; i should probably apologize for going off topic then.I wanted to write a post stating that you make invalid comparisons, make several infactual statements and in general do a spin-job on events of WW2. But dropping the subject to continue with the actual subject of the thread is the proper thing, isn't it.

I don't think most of the quotes on superdickery.com would make it.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-09-02, 02:48 PM
"I heard about you, Mr. Green Lantern... you done a lot for the Green Man... and you done a lot for the Blue Man, and the Orange Man, and the Purple Man too... but there's one man you never helped.... THE BLACK MAN!"

Or if they even did that, at least you'd probably never see Speedy holding a knot of surgical tubing tight with his teeth while he shoots a load of horse right up his arm.

Sholos
2008-09-03, 03:02 PM
Dude, you didn't even get halfway through the first page before Godwin's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) was invoked. :smallannoyed:

Except that wasn't Godwin's Law. There was no actual comparison, just the mention.

Anyways, I seriously doubt we'll ever see "The Killing Joke".

Friv
2008-09-06, 12:07 AM
Anyways, I seriously doubt we'll ever see "The Killing Joke".

Well, they co-opted the concept of it for Dark Knight, except that it worked. ;)

Sholos
2008-09-06, 12:40 AM
Kind of. There wasn't the full-blown stuff, though. Just the typical "put someone you care about into danger" thing that Joker (and just about every other villain) has done multiple times before.

Nevrmore
2008-09-06, 01:21 AM
"I heard about you, Mr. Green Lantern... you done a lot for the Green Man... and you done a lot for the Blue Man, and the Orange Man, and the Purple Man too... but there's one man you never helped.... THE BLACK MAN!"
Yeah, because that line is really, really retarded.

Friv
2008-09-07, 09:34 AM
Kind of. There wasn't the full-blown stuff, though. Just the typical "put someone you care about into danger" thing that Joker (and just about every other villain) has done multiple times before.

I was thinking more of the "all it takes it one bad day to make someone like me" theme. Most villains put people in danger to hurt others, or to help their plans succeed. The Joker was trying to create a dangerous psycopath.

Jeivar
2008-09-07, 10:52 AM

I would actually love to see that line in a movie, so Green Lantern could respond with the withering scorn it deserves. Seriously, does a superhero have to fight for EVERY SINGLE good cause in the entire universe to meet that guy's standards?

To quote Terry Pratchett: "Just because someone is a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty, small-minded little jerk."

kpenguin
2008-09-07, 01:13 PM
"They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

In no-longer-pretty cities there are fingers in kitties.
There are warrants, forms, and chitties and a jackboot on the stair.
Sex and death and human grime, in monochrome for one thin dime,
But at least the trains all run on time but they don't go anywhere.
Facing their Responsibilities either on their backs or on their knees
There are ladies who just simply freeze and dare not turn away
And the widows who refuse to cry will be dressed in garter and bow-tie
And be taught to kick their legs up high in this vicious cabaret.

At last! The 1998 Show!
The ballet on the burning stage.
The documentary see
Upon the fractured screen
The dreadful poem scrwled upon the crumpled page...

There's a policeman with an honest soul that has seen whose head is on the pole
And he grunts and fills his briar bowl with a feeling of unease.
But he briskly frisks the torn remains for a fingerprint or crimson stains
And endevours to ignore the chins that he walks in to his knees.
while his master in the dark nearby inspects the hands, with a brutal eye,
That have never brushed a lover's thigh but have squeezed a nation's threat.
But he hungers in his secret dreams for the harsh embrace of cruel machines
But his lover is not what she seems and she will not leave a note.

At last! The 1998 Show!
The Situation Tragedy
Grand Opera slick with soap
Cliffhangers with no hope
The water-colour in the flooded gallery...

There's a girl who'll push but not shove and is desperate for her father's love
She believes the hand beneath the glove maybe one she needs to hold.
Though she doubts her hosts moralities she decides she is more at ease
In the Land Of Doing What You Please than outside in the cold.
But the backdrop's peel and the sets give way and the cast gets eaten by the play
There's a murderer at the Matinee, there are dead men in the aisles
And the patrons and actors too are uncertain if the show is through
And with side-long looks await their cue but the frozen mask just smiles.

At last! The 1998 Show!
The torch-song no one ever sings
The curfew chorus line
The comedy divine
The bulging eyes of puppets strangled by their strings

There's thrills and chills and girls galore, sing-songs and surprises
There's something hear for everyone, (reserve your seat today)
There's mischief and malarkies but no queers or yids or darkies
Wwithin this bastard's carnival, this vicious cabaret. "

:smallbiggrin: