PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick Animated Film?

Raduloket
2008-08-20, 10:11 AM
I'm a longtime fan of Order of the Stick, and I don't recall ever seeing this topic broached in the forums: is there any chance of ever seeing Order of the Stick adapted into an animated film, along the lines of what SevTrek has done?

I only ask because the early strips are incredibly funny, but for me the characters really come alive once the strip shifts into more story-based material. Funny, yes, but engrossing and hard to put down. I can understand the problems of adapting dialogue-heavy material into animation, but at the same time, I think such a project would be highly in demand among fans. Part of the brilliance of the strip is that it draws you in with its dialogue and doesn't let go. I sometimes go weeks without reading it because reading a single strip at a time rarely satisfies me. I find myself leafing through my copies of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools and Start of Darkness to fill my OotS craving. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Whoracle
2008-08-20, 10:19 AM
This topic HAS been discussed, although it's been a while, and I don't remember what the final outcome was... But I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

NerfTW
2008-08-20, 10:19 AM
I believe there was a comment somewhere where Rich stated that people have approached him, but they wanted to take over creative control of everything. (Probably similar to the company that scammed Penny Arcade in thier youth)

Although now it would be more likely, since there's artist driven studios like Blind Ferret that can do it, but it's probably a time and quality issue now.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-20, 10:21 AM
If he started working on an animated series, we'd probably have an even longer time between online comics. And then people would whine about that even more.

ZFR
2008-08-20, 10:35 AM
Only after the story is finished....

Raduloket
2008-08-20, 10:52 AM
With the advent of flash animation, it almost seems like a direct translation from strip to web episode could be done without sacrificing any of the original material. I know Red vs. Blue has been selling collections of their online "seasons" for a while now. That could be a safer, creator-controlled route than farming out the story and animation to a company that wants uber-control of the content.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-20, 11:47 AM
Honestly, Rich's style almost begs to be made into a flash animation. And as we've seen with illwillpress and Homestar, the whole thing could make money. But, finding someone with the skill that meets the Giant's high (which they should be) standards would be hard.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-20, 05:56 PM
I totally wanna voice Belkar!

paladin_carvin
2008-08-20, 06:02 PM
You know, I was in a costume contest this weekend as Elan and someone complemented me saying 'you were great, you even sounded like what I imagine him to sound like.' ^_^

David Argall
2008-08-20, 06:47 PM
This has been suggested a number of times, but apparently has never got past talk. Possible reasons include too much work for too little money and our writer being reluctant to surrender artistic control.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-08-20, 08:15 PM
That's really wonderful that The Giant has gotten offers! I hope something works out though.

Anyway, I think an entirely new different story could make a good movie. If they tried to make a movie with the existing storyline, people would complain if there were too many changes.

Anyway, I think it would be great to see the OOTS in animated form.

drengnikrafe
2008-08-20, 08:44 PM
My main problem with this is.... who would voice Vaarsuvius? V is thouroughly ambiguous, and if a voice that was decidedly male or female was there... there would be 5000 more "V's Gender" Threads, as decided by that movie.

alchemyprime
2008-08-20, 09:17 PM
I've thought long and hard about what the trailer would need to look like... I wanna see it now!

paladin_carvin
2008-08-20, 10:17 PM
My main problem with this is.... who would voice Vaarsuvius? V is thouroughly ambiguous, and if a voice that was decidedly male or female was there... there would be 5000 more "V's Gender" Threads, as decided by that movie.

Heh... that doesn't mean anything. Do you know how many voice actors play characters opposite their gender? Many many. Most male children's voices are done by females. There are also a few times when males do female voices, but that is somewhat rare. Either way, a voice actor's gender does not guarantee the character's gender. I would think a female would do a great voice.

Edea
2008-08-20, 11:26 PM
Vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinton.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-21, 01:17 AM
Vaarsuvius: Tilda Swinton.

Hmm... I don't know about VA, but I can't imagine a better actor for live action.

Ooo! That's a fun idea for a thread... that has probably already been made...

drengnikrafe
2008-08-21, 02:22 AM
Hmm... I don't know about VA, but I can't imagine a better actor for live action.

Ooo! That's a fun idea for a thread... that has probably already been made...
(Emphasis Mine)

Please, good sir... please tell me what thread hasn't already been made. I'm sure almost every thread in this forum has been made once before. Plus, when has a previously made thread ever stopped a new one?

How many V-Gender Threads, MitD Threads, Elan + Therkla Threads, The Future of the Strip Threads, V's 4 Words Threads, Ect. exist? The fact that one exists doesn't stop new ones from being made.

Kletian999
2008-08-21, 03:07 PM
Get two actors (male and female) to speak V's line and overlay them, then again that's usally reserved for beings AFTER they attain ultimate arcane power.