PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened Spirit - Warlock PrC?

Ditto
2008-08-20, 11:08 AM
Has anyone looked at the Enlightened Spirit prestige class from Complete Mage? I read it a while ago, but remember very little about it now that I need it (naturally). I’m building a level 7 warlock and I’m curious whether I do/when I could qualify to take it, and also the idea of what the class is all about.

MammonAzrael
2008-08-20, 11:27 AM
It's an ok PrC, with a great idea, but it just lacks execution. Good on paper, not so hot in practice. I actually ran into this a while back and wrote up some changes for it (see my sig).

As for concept, it's basically a Warlock casting of the dark connotations of his powers, embracing all that is good and holy, and tossing an angelic vibe onto his powers.

RukiTanuki
2008-08-20, 01:03 PM
Where the PrC really kicks you in the teeth, though, is that as written, it does not advance invocations.

So, a Warlock 5/Enlightened Spirit 10 who takes another level of Warlock gets their first lesser invocation (like a Warlock 6), rather than picking a Dark invocation (like a Warlock 16).

Ditto
2008-08-20, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that's depressingly lame. It sounded nice. they try to make up for the non-invoker levels by giving you a new invocation... it prescribes them. And yeah, the Warlock5/ES10/Warlock1 = Warlock 6 is the suck. Thanks for the info... I think that's gonna be a pass. I'm looking for other PrCs that might be interesting to take with warlocks, but there seems to be a lack of options... I don't want to crash my caster levels by going with the Eldritch Theurge or Disciple.

SadisticFishing
2008-08-20, 04:09 PM
Warlock 17/Hellfire Warlock 3 is surprisingly doable. Toss in 1 level of Binder if you want (for Naberius, and healing the con damage you take).

Hellfire Warlock (Fiendish Codex II) is absolutely necessary for any warlock, though,.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-20, 04:51 PM
Well, you could ask your dm if you could flip the level requirements for the disciple. I mean, at the moment the best build for a disciple is Cleric 4/War 1/ ED x, but there's no real reason why you shouldn't be able to go War 4/ Cleric 1/ ED X. The new requirements should probably be something like:
Skills: same
Spells: Ability to cast 1st level spells
Invocations: Ability to use least invocations
Special: Abiltiy turn or rebuke undead, Must Worship Chaotic of evil deity, Eldritch Blast +2d6

Also, switch the first level to giving you +1 to divine casting class.

This keeps the general feel of the class while at the same time giving it a more Warlock slant. You still loose 2 warlock caster levels, but its not too bad overall.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-20, 05:14 PM
Warlock 17/Hellfire Warlock 3 is surprisingly doable. Toss in 1 level of Binder if you want (for Naberius, and healing the con damage you take).

Hellfire Warlock (Fiendish Codex II) is absolutely necessary for any warlock, though,.

or the feat shape soulmeld: strongheart vest to reduce all incoming ability damage by one.

would enlightened spirit be too powerful if we let it advance invocations and caster levels on top of what it already does?

Chronos
2008-08-20, 05:21 PM
Yeah, that's depressingly lame. It sounded nice. they try to make up for the non-invoker levels by giving you a new invocation... it prescribes them. And yeah, the Warlock5/ES10/Warlock1 = Warlock 6 is the suck.On the other hand, so far as I can tell, it would increase your options for the Extra Invocation feat.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-20, 08:54 PM
would enlightened spirit be too powerful if we let it advance invocations and caster levels on top of what it already does?

Not really. In fact, at least one of the invocations is a simple reflavoring(the one that gives you a fly speed). Maybe give a couple less invocations/give the offered invocations as additional choices.