PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Monsters [3.5]

LoneStarNorth
2008-08-20, 02:25 PM
I need to know of some monsters, preferably magical beasts or aberrations, that have "a wizard did it" as the feeble explanation for how they could ever exist. Off the top of my head I can think of owlbears and howler wasps, but I'd like a few more examples. CR is irrelevant. I have all MMs and many other books, so if you cite the source I can probably find it. Ideal critters would be a mish-mash of different animals, and not something mythologically based.

Thanks in advance!

Frosty
2008-08-20, 02:39 PM
How about that wierd lion-creature from Tome of Magic that has like 9 legs?

Recaiden
2008-08-20, 02:59 PM
Possiblilities: Craaghoran Giants and greathorn minotaurs from MM 4.
Varag and Mageripper swarm
Zern Arcanovore and Blade Thrall.
Monsters of Faerun: Deathkiss beholder. Maybe.
Deepspawn. Groundling. (dwarf/badger) Gulguthydra. (otyugh/ hydra)
Phaerrim, Sharn, Tall Mouther, and Maulagrym (just look wierd)
Tomb Tapper (Faceless Humanoid rock things with a mouth in their stomach)
Stinger and Wemic (Scorpion centaurs and lion Centaurs.)

Many of these are probably not what you're looking for, but it's what i have.

insecure
2008-08-20, 03:05 PM
This aren't probably what you're looking for, but living spells from one of the Eberron books, I can't remember which, certainly has a "a wizard did it" feel.

The Demented One
2008-08-20, 03:09 PM
The Arcane Amalgam template, which is in the link in my sig, basically lets you combine any two creatures in Owlbear fashion.

Black Hand
2008-08-20, 03:29 PM
:smallcool: How's about the Aurumvorax (http://www.vanhiel.com/daniel/creatures.php?monstername=Aurumvorax) from 2e. They were pretty odd creatures, and fun to use from what I remember.

http://www.vanhiel.com/daniel/MC_images/aurumvorax.jpg

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-20, 03:42 PM
Broken Ones/Mongrel Men or Mongrelfolk in the Fiend Folio.

Blood Hawk Fiend Folio.

Death Dog (2-Headed) Fiend Folio.

Maelephant Fiend Folio.

Lucent Work Fiend Folio.

Spirit of the Air (Winged Flying Gorilla) Fiend Folio.

ECS Magebred template.

Possibly the Dark (Tome of Magic) and Magic Blooded templates. (Think it was a Dragon article)

The Spell-stiched template on living creatures.

+2 LA Phrenic template as is or tweaked EPH.

Any intelligent animal as per the Awaken spell (5-50% chance it is permanent).

Oriental Adventures Hengeyoka (Intelligent Animals that can assume humanoid form) originally +1LA but Dragon made them +0LA.

Warforged Animal Constructs comparable to ECS Warforged (Prototypes).

AslanCross
2008-08-20, 04:27 PM
Apply the Spellwarped template (MM3) to a race of otherwise common humanoids or animals. I made a group of "super soldiers" in a hobgoblin army based on this. They're as big as bugbears and are highly resistant to magic (and it buffs them if it fails to breach their SR). They also get bonuses to a lot of ability scores, so I flavored them in a way that they're virtually Hobgoblin Space Marines. (Their type changes to Aberration too.)

There are some pretty bizarre aberrations out there like the Sussurus (MM4 I think). The Avolakia (MM2) is also pretty hideous.

As for magical crossbreeds, the older editions had an Owlephant, a Duckbunny, and a Squark. I think Vaarsuvius, in his rants about Owlbears, mentioned a "Penguinlion." MM2 also has the Catoblepas, which is an Aberration. It sort of looks like a rhino mixed with a giraffe.

Ponce
2008-08-20, 04:55 PM
Chwidencha from the Fiend Folio.

Chronos
2008-08-20, 05:13 PM
How about that wierd lion-creature from Tome of Magic that has like 9 legs?That's mythologically-based. People coming up with weird, crazy creatures fit for chemically-assisted hallucinations is not something new with D&D. See also the bonnacon, which fights off foes by pooping at them.

As for magical crossbreeds, the older editions had an Owlephant, a Duckbunny, and a Squark.The best thing about the Duckbunny is that it's made explicit in the description that "a wizard did it". Making duckbunnies is what you practice on, before you start on the dangerous things like owlbears.

Frosty
2008-08-20, 05:33 PM
You know what we need? DISPLACER MOOSE!

bosssmiley
2008-08-21, 04:27 AM
Anything and everything by our friendly neighbourhood Vorpal Tribble (see link in my sig.), or by The Demented One. I am so glad I don't have dreams like theirs. :smalleek:

VT also ran a monster design contest in the Homebrew section on the theme of "A wizard did it!" a while back. There was some weird stuff there.