PDA

View Full Version : Poltergeist Remake

DraPrime
2008-08-20, 03:54 PM
That's right, somebody is gonna remake Poltergeist (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i11533547aab0683e5b9c89f837ab444b). I can't say I'm happy with this. Poltergeist was a fantastic movie, and there's absolutely no reason to try to remake it. So what thinketh the playground?

feghoot
2008-08-20, 09:30 PM
Dude, practically all the movies that come out now are remakes of old movies. Just don't go to see them and maybe they’ll stop.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-20, 09:43 PM
Dude this news totally kicks ass I mean without modern special effects the original Poltergeist obviously sucks and isn't work watching or even considering.

[/sarcasm]

Raistlin1040
2008-08-20, 10:43 PM
Well, think like an executive. OF COURSE they're going to remake awesome old movies, it's a cash cow. If they were to remake a terrible movie, like Plan 9 from Outer Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_Nine_from_Outer_Space), no one would go to see it. It stands to reason that the movies that really don't need to be remade are the ones that will be. If they do the remake well, it will be a testament to the greatness of the original, if they do it wrong, we can all complain until they wreck something else.

Dhavaer
2008-08-21, 12:28 AM
Well, think like an executive. OF COURSE they're going to remake awesome old movies, it's a cash cow. If they were to remake a terrible movie, like Plan 9 from Outer Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_Nine_from_Outer_Space), no one would go to see it. It stands to reason that the movies that really don't need to be remade are the ones that will be. If they do the remake well, it will be a testament to the greatness of the original, if they do it wrong, we can all complain until they wreck something else.

I would definately see Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Raistlin1040
2008-08-21, 10:54 PM
*Thinks* You know, on second thought, so would I.

Let's all go petition the film companies to give us what we want! Remake some old Ed Wood movies!

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-22, 06:37 AM
I think they actually ARE re-making Plan 9.

Every time a re-make comes out, I die a little inside.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 10:11 AM

Is there even anything living left considering how many remakes have been made?

factotum
2008-08-22, 10:27 AM
Trouble is, the original Poltergeist managed to be genuinely scary without a single bit of gore (well, apart from the sequence where a guy strips all the flesh off his face, but even that wasn't as splatter-like as it sounds). Since most modern horror movies substitute gallons of blood (or, God help us, comic relief) for genuine scares, I'm not holding out a great deal of hope here!

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 10:54 AM
Hmmmm, that is a problem. I wonder if Hollywood has realized that tons of blood everywhere only scare 10 years olds?

WalkingTarget
2008-08-22, 11:14 AM
Hmmmm, that is a problem. I wonder if Hollywood has realized that tons of blood everywhere only scare 10 years olds?

Or that there's more to fear than being startled when something unexpected pops into frame.

feghoot
2008-08-22, 09:43 PM
I think they actually ARE re-making Plan 9.

As a comedy?

Also, for what its worth, I really enjoyed John Carpenter's remake of The Thing. That and Airplane are the only good remakes that I can think of off the top of my head

Innis Cabal
2008-08-22, 09:53 PM
Bleh.....thats all i can say to it. And all other remakes