PDA

View Full Version : Paint program preferences?

GreyRat
2005-06-09, 02:37 PM
Hey-o all, I was just wondering what kind of painting programs people like? What's a good program for simple things (like making avatars & game chits)? Any software to avoid?

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-09, 03:14 PM
Adobe Illustrator rocks, its awesomeness has yet to be met by other painting programs, it's worth learning even if its hard at first

erisian
2005-06-09, 03:43 PM
I use Illustrator and Photoshop exclusively.

Wukei
2005-06-09, 03:50 PM
I only know how to work MS Paint...go me?

Balrogossah
2005-06-10, 03:15 AM
For my avatars I use paint and than shrink n' smooth em' out with Irfanview. Theres more than one way to skin a cat ;D

PS: Who came up with that saying, what were they up to?! :o

irongolem
2005-06-10, 07:44 AM
PS: Who came up with that saying, what were they up to?! :o
Boring Trivia time ::)
Supposedly first recorded in a book collecting english proverbs; 1678 by author John Ray.
It's been referenced a bit throughout history too.

ref: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm

The_Stoney_One
2006-07-28, 10:30 AM
paint shop pro here....

Ryujin
2006-07-28, 10:22 PM
Adobe Photoshop for everything (works for Craig Mullins), Painter IX for the occasional effect that's too tedious to do in PS.

Alarra
2006-07-28, 11:31 PM
I use photoshop

The_bard
2006-07-29, 12:25 PM
inkscape!

ShmoTz
2006-07-29, 12:42 PM
Photoshop CS2 here

Not good at making Stick avatars though... But i use it for lots of other things

Ms_Elaneous
2006-07-30, 08:12 PM
My avatar was created on my Photoshop. It is pretty good.

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-30, 08:15 PM
Adobe Illustrator 8.0.1, but I cant find out how to save them on a file compatable with Photobucket, unless I copy into Paint, which loses the detail.

Eldhrin
2006-07-31, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't classify anything vector-based as a 'paint program'.

But then I wouldn't use a paint program to do OOTS-style art. Rich, I know, uses Adobe Illustrator, which is excellent, very powerful, very complicated and hideously expensive.

I use Inkscape, which is free and complicated enough for avatars. There are a few things I'd like which would make comic strips easier, but these obstacles can be overcome with some unscrupulous use of the boolean shape combining operations.

Must finish that strip.

Valox
2006-07-31, 01:21 PM
I use Xara, i find it much easier than AI

B0nd07
2006-08-01, 12:06 AM
I use Adobe Illustrator CS2 for the initial drawing, then I resize the canvas in Adobe Photoshop CS2 (for Oots style avies). I use Photoshop for everything else.

LostInBrittany
2006-08-01, 05:23 AM
Inskcape + GIMP, open source only :)

DArKandEViL
2006-08-01, 11:29 AM
I use Fireworks and Flash ( flash isn't for Avatars), I still have yet to figure out fireworks animation option.

TinSoldier
2006-08-01, 12:46 PM
I like Paint.NET. Windows only, but free and open source and very powerful.

I don't do avatars but I use it for lots of other stuff.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-01, 02:05 PM
Inkscape+GIMP ftw!

And, LostinBritanny: Hows it coming? :)

TheTick
2006-08-02, 12:14 PM
Inkscape/GiMP here as well. My low-level graphic arts skills are perfect for emulating a stick figure comic.

Omen
2006-08-02, 04:03 PM
I started by using Paint and converting it from 585x585 to 117x117 in InfraView. I was having issue with the line thickness not being correct even on largest line thickness... so out of curriousity I drew one in PowerPoint then converted it with Infraview. Worked out well and more on the order of what I was looking for. PP also allows me to more easily manipulate sizes and tweak it. 8)

Brickwall
2006-08-02, 05:42 PM
I use Inkscape to make avatars then export it as a png for use in Fireworks and making uploading easier. For anything else, I use my good old pencil and paper then upload it to Fireworks.

Cornugon
2006-08-02, 07:46 PM
For Avatars I've been using Inkscape and Gimp

For stuff like this (http://webpages.shepherd.edu/lbarne01/Jarassik.jpg)(Biiiig Image) I use Photoshop CS2.

I'd use Illustartor for Avatars, but the whole 'free' thing appealed to me.

TinSoldier
2006-08-02, 08:51 PM
So.... has anyone else used Paint.NET? I actually find it much easier to use than Gimp.

LostInBrittany
2006-08-03, 03:48 AM
I didn't know Paint .NET, and as your precedent post intrigued me, I've done a bit of research.

I've discovered (Wikipedia is your friend! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.NET)) that it's an open source project sponsored by Microsoft for an successor to MS Paint.

It seems rather good for bitmap ( non vectorial) drawing, easier to use (for a new user) than Gimp. Inkscape + Paint .NET can be a good combination for Windows users.

But as I'm a linux user (I only use Windows at work), it is not the good solution for me.

TinSoldier
2006-08-03, 09:35 AM
I didn't know Paint .NET, and as your precedent post intrigued me, I've done a bit of research.

I've discovered (Wikipedia is your friend! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.NET)) that it's an open source project sponsored by Microsoft for an successor to MS Paint.

It seems rather good for bitmap ( non vectorial) drawing, easier to use (for a new user) than Gimp. Inkscape + Paint .NET can be a good combination for Windows users.

But as I'm a linux user (I only use Windows at work), it is not the good solution for me. Yeah, I'm still stuck with Windows. I've switched back and forth from time to time but I always return to Windows :'(.

I wonder if there is any plan to port it to Mono? I think the reason the main developers don't is because of all the MS-specific stuff they put into it.

I still think it's a nice program. It's light years ahead of the old MS-Paint application. I've used it to color B/W drawings, convert formats, resize and crop, and all of those other tasks.

I haven't used Inkscape in awhile because I kind of gave up trying to draw avatars. I may again in the future.