PDA

View Full Version : Starting a band, and need advice. :D

_Roxy_
2008-08-21, 02:02 AM
Here's the problem,

I'm a singer, not to wonderful but pretty good. :D I take music very seriously, but I'm rather young, so no one else I know does. I'm dying to start a singing group, but no one I know is very good. I know two girls that could be good, but one doesn't want to and one doesn't want to focus.

I don't live in a neighborhood with any people my age with any talent. What should I do?

And on a secondary-I need help with another thing.

I like writing lyrics, but I'm not very good. What should I do? I've been practicing, but my songs are amateurish.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-21, 07:02 AM
Hmmmm.

Two, very look-a-like threads....
Maybe t´would be better if one the mods merged the threads or something.
I think you could get good advice in the other(older and longer) thread, Linky. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88269)

Personally, I wouldn´t know, but good luck.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-21, 08:26 AM
do vocal excercises daily (hey, vocal cords are like any other muscle - they need training)

get yourself a singing coach, and maybe look into going to perfomance arts schools rather than a regular middle/high school. Somewhere like that will develop and encourage your talents and expose you to the right sorts of people who can help you progress

If you just want to have something fun do - join a local choir or vocal troop. at least if nothing it will give you a chance for regular practice.

_Roxy_
2008-08-21, 01:10 PM
Well, I'm just starting middle school, and there's no performing arts schools in my area.

And I had a vocal coach, but she wasn't a whole lot of help. But at least now I can play piano! :D

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 02:49 PM
What kind of music do you plan on playing?

_Roxy_
2008-08-21, 03:27 PM
Pop, I suppose you could call it. That's the main thing...I think. Not quite as pop-punk as Avril Lavigne, but close.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 03:33 PM
Well I can't really give you much advice as for as songwriting goes (I'm more of a heavy metal fan myself), but I can give you some band advice. Do make sure that you can get along with these people. You won't enjoy playing with them if you dislike them. And I hate to say this, but you'll probably have to wait a few years before you can find any people who can be in a band. It's during middle school that most kids start playing instruments and think of the whole band thing. You're just starting, so you might have to be patient.

FdL
2008-08-21, 10:09 PM
Also it's important that everyone is into the same music and agree on what they all want to play. Else it can get annoying or tiring real fast.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-21, 10:24 PM
When people in the crowd start requesting "Freebird", dont play it. They're just heckling you.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-22, 01:18 AM
When people in the crowd start requesting "Freebird", dont play it. They're just heckling you.

Better then shouting "Smoke On The Water" at a guitarist