PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Question of Size...

Fako
2008-08-21, 05:47 PM
I know this question is a bit odd, but I was wondering what everyone thought the general dimensions of a Titan's skull would be?

Also, if possible, how many creatures do you think would fit?

Like I said...bizarre question...but I have a "good" reason for asking!

Revanmal
2008-08-21, 05:52 PM
Huge creatures are 16 ft.-32 ft. in height, and i think the head is about 1/7 of the total height of an adult. I dunno anything beyond that.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-21, 05:55 PM
I know this question is a bit odd, but I was wondering what everyone thought the general dimensions of a Titan's skull would be?

Also, if possible, how many creatures do you think would fit?

Like I said...bizarre question...but I have a "good" reason for asking!

how many creatures of what size?

amanamana
2008-08-21, 05:57 PM
Well, although I don't remember the height of a Titan, that's a simple question. Titans have the same proportions of a human being. So, you just have to do a simple multiplication: if a titan is 12 feet tall, his head would be twice as big as a 6 feet tall man's head.
About how many people would fit inside said head, you will have to check the proportion, but I don't remember Titans being big enough for more than 1 medium sized man in an awkward position.
I could be wrong...
greetings.

Beleriphon
2008-08-21, 06:06 PM
Huge creatures are 16 ft.-32 ft. in height, and i think the head is about 1/7 of the total height of an adult. I dunno anything beyond that.

55 inches or so should about cover it. It should be more or less spherical as well. So a sphere some 54 inches in diametre. Assuming the titan is 32 feet tall.

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 06:08 PM
Titan is 25 feet tall, acording to D&D.

Let's round it to 24. So he's 4 times longer than 6 feet man.

Considering that 4 times longer doesn't mean 4 times bigger, I would just multiply it by 4 and by 4 (3 dimensions - volume, not lenght).

So volume of Titans skull would be 64 times greater than humans.

Considering that average male's skull have 1,400 ml of volume, Titans would have about 90000 ml of volume.

Those means 90 liters.

Those are rough calculations, but I don't think you need more accurate.

EDIT: So, if I haven't screwed something, the very inside of Titan's skulll should be cave about 45cm x 45 cm x 45 (considering it's squarish, but of course it's not). a bit bigger shouldn't be unreasonable. So one, really squized man should fit in, I think.

Beleriphon
2008-08-21, 06:23 PM
Those are rough calculations, but I don't think you need more accurate.

Soiunds goods, but if you go with my initial idea of a roughly spherical skull (they are, sort of) then you up with around 40000 cubic inches after takingin into account loss of volume from the jaw and such.

If you go with your idea, which I think works better, then its a total volume of approximately 4558.2075 cubic inches.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-21, 06:29 PM
Basically, you can't fit an adventuring party in one. Maybe two halflings, but thats it. :smalltongue: And if you're a DM, unless you have any of those disgusting "logic lawyers" sitting around, it's whatever size you want it to be. :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 06:29 PM
Soiunds goods, but if you go with my initial idea of a roughly spherical skull (they are, sort of) then you up with around 40000 cubic inches after takingin into account loss of volume from the jaw and such.

I did the dimensions at the very end, as you can see. I just assumed that every dimension of titan is 4 times bigger than humans.

So that gives 1,4l x 64 = 90 l

Your 655 liters is drastically different result, I have no idea which can be more correct.

The good method would be finding actual volume of some large animals cranium part, and compare.

African elephant's would be great, they can weight as much as titan, and have large skulls

Spiryt
2008-08-21, 06:55 PM
Bah. Sorry for double post, but a simple thing came to my mind.

Average volume of mans brain is 1400 ml. Let's assume it's correct and stick to that.

It can weight 1400 g, so we can assume that the density of brain is 1 kg/l, as water.

If 90 kg of man have 1,4 kg brain, it gives about 64kg of body per 1 kg of brain.

Titan weights about 6 350 kg, so to have 1kg per 64 kg he would have to have about 100 kg of brain.

So it loos like my number is closer, if I haven't screwed math, my weakness :smallwink:

My data (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html)

Beleriphon
2008-08-21, 07:34 PM
Titan weights about 6 350 kg, so to have 1kg per 64 kg he would have to have about 100 kg of brain.

So it loos like my number is closer, if I haven't screwed math, my weakness :smallwink:

My data (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html)

I thought so as well, my cubic inches of just over 4500 is based on your initial 90L function, which I converted to quarts, and then quarts to cubic inches.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-21, 07:43 PM
Basically, you can't fit an adventuring party in one. Maybe two halflings, but thats it. :smalltongue: And if you're a DM, unless you have any of those disgusting "logic lawyers" sitting around, it's whatever size you want it to be. :smallbiggrin:

It might have a permanent enlarge on it for some reason if it needs to be bigger or have a permanent Reduce Mass on when ever someone steps inside it.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-21, 07:53 PM

If you go with your idea, which I think works better, then its a total volume of approximately 4558.2075 cubic inches.

:smalleek:

Did you...

You just "approximated" to 1/2000 in^3.

:smallfrown:

Irreverent Fool
2008-08-21, 07:54 PM
Won't somebody please think of the catgirls?

ForzaFiori
2008-08-21, 07:56 PM
:smalleek:

Did you...

You just "approximated" to 1/2000 in^3.

:smallfrown:

actually, its 1/10,000 in^3.

UglyPanda
2008-08-21, 08:11 PM
According to the Demilich entry in the SRD, a huge-sized monster would have a small-sized skull. So between three and four feet in height, I'd think.

BobVosh
2008-08-22, 12:17 AM
Won't somebody please think of the catgirls?

We are. What else would YOU put in a titan skull?

Person 1: How many angels can dance on the inside of a skull?
Person 2: Well...most angels like solars are large, so unless you have a clossal creature...
Person 1: Dammit dude, it was rethorical.

Fako
2008-08-22, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! So it looks like a Small creature can stand, or a Medium can sit in it... that will work. :smallbiggrin:

I want to use it for 'transportation', if that makes sense...

Although the Reduce Person idea sounds really good... or maybe a modified Shrink Item...

Fri
2008-08-22, 09:05 AM
Ah, so you want to put a couple of wheels on it and make the most badass car ever?

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-22, 09:22 AM
Obviously it would make a much better submarine! :smallwink::smalltongue:

Fako
2008-08-23, 08:53 PM
I was actually thinking of a Permanencied Flight spell, coupled with an area of Darkness just inside the skull and a Scrying Pool just past that, targeted to point outward from the eye sockets, to allow a vampire to survey his undead horde during the day, because (to my knowledge) the Scry effect doesn't allow sunlight to transmit through it... although adding car and submarine options would be cool too... :smallamused:

Now to find all the spells to put it together... I think I can manage it with core...