PDA

View Full Version : Cool New Blimp

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-21, 08:00 PM
Check out this cool new blimp that is going to be manufactured!

http://nextbigfuture.com/2007/10/2010-blimp-plane.html

It looks really interesting!

thubby
2008-08-21, 08:04 PM
will we never learn?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-21, 08:11 PM
will we never learn?

Will we ever learn what?

Griever
2008-08-21, 08:17 PM
I would start to suggest that thubby was referencing the Hindenburg, but that was filled with the very explodable (which is now a word) Hydrogen instead of Helium.

Dryken
2008-08-21, 08:46 PM
Awesome. I look forward to not being able to afford going on this.

Rawhide
2008-08-21, 08:59 PM
very explodable

The words you are looking for are: highly volatile

Innis Cabal
2008-08-21, 09:03 PM
Even though it was also the rocket fuel as paint that sorta helped all that.

Uncle Festy
2008-08-21, 09:11 PM
That thing looks relatively cool.

Rawhide
2008-08-21, 09:12 PM
Even though it was also the rocket fuel as paint that sorta helped all that.

Very minimally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster#The_incendiary_paint_theory)

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-21, 09:17 PM
Hmm...I seem to recall something like this in 1937 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA)

Jack Squat
2008-08-21, 09:22 PM
PJ: the Hindenburg used Hydrogen, and I believe that's because we wouldn't let them import Helium, but I could be wrong. Helium doesn't burn.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-21, 09:41 PM
I wonder if it's fuel efficient. I would think that it would be so, seeing that 70% of the lift is provided by the helium, but I don't really know that much about these things.

DraPrime
2008-08-21, 10:00 PM
This looks really cool. Especially since I plan on being a pilot in the future.

Shraik
2008-08-22, 01:38 AM
Though the Hidenburg is a good example of the dangers of blimps, its been eighty years, we've been to the moon. And done alot of crazy stuff like inventing the Microwave and the jet plane that can fly in three dimensions(yeah, they're making those) I think we can find a way to prevent something WE made from exploding

Also. Dude, this looks cool. I'm wondering how long the trips are supposed to be and whether or not you'll sleep in those.

Lord Herman
2008-08-22, 01:51 AM
I would start to suggest that thubby was referencing the Hindenburg, but that was filled with the very explodable (which is now a word) Hydrogen instead of Helium.

But what if this one crashes in the middle of a crowded city? Everyone will have a squeaky voice!

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-22, 01:56 AM
I really like the look of that (I'd sooner fly in a blimp then a plane to be honest; they look more comfortable, and I'd feel safer in one). Iagree with everyone else about the Hindenburg not really being relevant (unless the designers use hydrogen). Also, wouldn;t that be better then a huge explosion, Lord Herman? The R-101 disaster is also relevant to how mistakes should have been learnt from by now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-101 .

thubby
2008-08-22, 02:25 AM
i was alluding to the Hindenburg, but airships as a whole are just a bad idea. they cost a fortune to operate and are so fragile it's a miracle they're still legal.
this, like so many other "out there" ideas, will tank.

Jibar
2008-08-22, 02:41 AM
*glee*

My and my sky pirates will finally have something to steal now!

SDF
2008-08-22, 04:13 AM
I've heard about this going on at least 5 years now, exact same pictures too. I don't predict it becoming very prominent or marketable to the general populous.

Also, it has a type of framework structure so it isn't an actual blimp.

bosssmiley
2008-08-22, 06:54 AM
Though the Hidenburg is a good example of the dangers of blimps, its been eighty years, we've been to the moon. And done alot of crazy stuff like inventing the Microwave and the jet plane that can fly in three dimensions(yeah, they're making those) I think we can find a way to prevent something WE made from exploding.

Just because we've been to the Moon doesn't mean that basic aerodynamics and wind effects no longer apply to lighter-than-air vehicles. Even if they don't explode and drop out of the sky any more (Hindenburg, R-101, etc.) the things will still be prone to being blown about during docking manoeuvres due to their sheer size. :smallconfused:

When will man learn that Zeppelins only work in the parallel universe (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld). :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2008-08-22, 07:15 AM
To be honest Bossman there is no reason why they have to dock, they could easily land instead.
I think they aare a great idea, and I'd bloody love to travel on one... and just think it could drop you off on the top of a building in the middle of town... It will almost certainly come to nothing (wheres my hovercar Tommows world?) but that will be an investment issue rather than a practicality one I imagine.

Oh and Helium is inert as a noble gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_gas) it's one of the safest elements out there.

Fri
2008-08-22, 09:09 AM
Finally there's a use for the blimp dock on the top of the empire states building!

Shas aia Toriia
2008-08-22, 10:01 AM
That actually does look quite cool.

However, I agree. The hindenburg happened quite a while ago. I imagine that by now, we've at least learned a little bit about keeping these things in the air.
And also not on fire.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-22, 11:21 AM
i was alluding to the Hindenburg, but airships as a whole are just a bad idea. they cost a fortune to operate and are so fragile it's a miracle they're still legal.
this, like so many other "out there" ideas, will tank.

Well, as pricing goes, I think it is supposed to be quite cheap (compared to other aircraft that is).

Mando Knight
2008-08-22, 12:27 PM
I want an airship now...

Especially if I can get an engineer named Cid to help me work on it!:smalltongue:

No... wait... I'm going to school to be the aerospace engineer! I could design my own!

...Maybe. If I'm not busy designing affordable jetpacks.

thubby
2008-08-22, 01:13 PM
I want an airship now...

Especially if I can get an engineer named Cid to help me work on it!:smalltongue:

No... wait... I'm going to school to be the aerospace engineer! I could design my own!

...Maybe. If I'm not busy designing affordable jetpacks.

then you can change your name to cid, and we can all come to you for our rams to escape those blasted rocks.

Telonius
2008-08-22, 01:15 PM
That actually does look quite cool.

However, I agree. The hindenburg happened quite a while ago. I imagine that by now, we've at least learned a little bit about keeping these things in the air.
And also not on fire.

Step 1. Don't use hydrogen.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-22, 02:43 PM
Awesome. I look forward to not being able to afford going on this.

I agree wholeheartedly. It does look very cool.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-22, 05:22 PM
I was curious about if the blimp was energy/gas efficient, so I emailed their info people. They say that it is, indeed, energy efficent.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-22, 05:31 PM
I was curious about if the blimp was energy/gas efficient, so I emailed their info people. They say that it is, indeed, energy efficent.

Did they put any numbers on that claim?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-22, 06:19 PM
I'm afraid not. Here's their email though.

Thanks for contact us! To answer your question- yes the Aeroscraft is very energy efficient, it is filled with helium in the upper part, it consumes less fuel. At the same time, it is very environmental friendly.

Please feel free to contact me if you have other questions!

Regards,

Shenny Yao

AEROS

Tel: (323) 201-8302

Fax:(323) 201-8288

I have a feeling that the writer of this isn't high in the chain of command and probably doesn't really know the numbers.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-22, 06:48 PM
I'm afraid not. Here's their email though.

I have a feeling that the writer of this isn't high in the chain of command and probably doesn't really know the numbers.

No, I'd expect not; unsolicited emails to a publicly posted box will generally be handled by a flunky.

Given the poor English skills, I'd certainly hope so! Very friendly attitude though, that's a real plus.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-22, 08:13 PM
Blimp! We need more of them. I'm suprised Japan hasn't gotten on this yet. Japan, make me a blimp. Nao! :smallcool:

Fri
2008-08-23, 03:43 AM
Or better yet, blimp aircraft carrier! We can do that, right? Right?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-23, 10:00 AM

That would be sweet!

PlatinumJester
2008-08-23, 10:28 AM
They should name it Mothership in my opinion.

Also this looks alot more carbon friendly than aeroplane.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-23, 11:20 AM
They should name it Mothership in my opinion.

Also this looks alot more carbon friendly than aeroplane.

Yeah, if these things go mainstream, it'll be cool to be able to fly without sighing about how much fuel I'm wasting.

Drascin
2008-08-23, 11:50 AM

...and from there, it's only a couple steps to this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030630).

Awesome :smallbiggrin:

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-24, 10:29 AM
...and from there, it's only a couple steps to this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030630).

Awesome :smallbiggrin:

Nice! I must read more of this comic...