PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a M&M character.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-21, 10:48 PM
Basically what I'm trying to make is a high-speed, high-strength melee buy that swing a big sword around...something I havent played in a long time. Sources are the core book and ultimate power.

One of the main things is PL 10: 150 PP (normal form) and PL 10: 180PP (Hyper Form)

I havent made something like this in so long that I cant really think of what to give him outside of super speed. So I ask the playground to help me make him.

Da Beast
2008-08-21, 11:21 PM
Is his sword a fairly mundane sword like you could get you hands on in real life or something unique with special powers? If the first one, use the stats given under equipment on page 138. If not, then look at the rules for devices in the powers chapter. One thing to keep in mind is that you can only apply so much strength bonus to a weapon that counts as equipment without breaking it.

Something else to consider is whether his strength is just from being a well built human or from being super human. For a regular person just put points into strength normally. For a superhuman pay for it as an enhanced ability (p84) and maybe consider a few ranks of super strength.

If you want to be effective in combat make sure you have your damage/attack and toughness/defense caps filled out. For a speedster you'll probably want to trade off some toughness to increase your defense cap. There are a few ways to but your bonuses for cheaper, mostly in the feats chapter, but you will lose some versatility in doing so.

You might want to pick up some skills and combat feats to reflect your training with a sword. Page 65 already has a sample list of feats to represent a few combat styles.

Lastly, you might want to drop a few power points into skills that reflect your character as a person. Various knowledges, professions, whatever you feel reflects the guy behind the mask.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-22, 12:24 AM
While the sword wouldn't have any special powers(other than maybe penetration) how would I go about making it able to withstand the high strength?

Theres also the issue of the hyper form which gives me an extra 30 points but doesnt advance the PL.

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-22, 01:22 AM
While the sword wouldn't have any special powers(other than maybe penetration) how would I go about making it able to withstand the high strength?
Make it into an Easy to Lose Device.

Theres also the issue of the hyper form which gives me an extra 30 points but doesnt advance the PL.
If everyone gets this extra 'Hyper form' make an Alternate Form power costing 30 pp.

JeminiZero
2008-08-22, 01:30 AM

Make it an easy to lose device, with Strike X + Mighty power feat, and buy the indestructible power feat for the device (so while it can be lost, it can't be destroyed).

To clarify, is your issue regarding how to implement hyper form mechanically, or what to spend the 30 PP on, when the attributes that would be boosted by hyperform are already at their PL cap?

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-22, 05:16 AM
Right, the issue with the hyper form is that I need to be able to increase my power but I dont see a way to bypass the caps.

JeminiZero
2008-08-22, 05:33 AM
You could negotiate with the DM to raise the PL limit

Or You could use linked powers.

E.g. lets say the cap is 10 damage, and your sword already does 10 strike damage. You could then use the hyperform points to buy a Drain Toughness effect (1 PP per rank), with the Affects Objects extra (extra 1PP per rank) and link that to your strike (0 PP per rank). So for 2 PP per rank, your sword exerts a drain toughness vs fort save (or vs Toughness save for constructs) first. And after that, they still have to make another (possibly reduced) toughness save against the original strike damage. This is essentially the basis for the Corrosion power. Rather than Drain Toughness (or in addition to drain toughness), you could add other linked powers like Stun.

RebelRogue
2008-08-22, 05:53 AM
An M&M character you say? Something like this?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/CalliopeMuse/MM002.jpg

Sorry... couldn't resist! :smalltongue:

Treguard
2008-08-22, 06:38 AM
Dammit, psi ninja'd! I was just about to make the same joke. :smalltongue:

PnP Fan
2008-08-22, 03:06 PM
keep in mind that PL can be bypassed for non-combat powers. So your superspeed could be higher than 10, but you could never recieve higher than a 10 bonus to your damage DC. What this means is that you'll have lots of unused limits on your basic "mach one punch" attack, but you could conceivably have an area attack as an alternate power feat (runaround and punch everyone in a 50 ft radius from your starting position), and it would be just as strong (or almost as strong) as your "mach one punch", because it's ranks would be based off of your Superspeed power, not your PL limited Mach one punch.

Additionally, you could buy some kind of passive effects in your hyperform. Maybe some kind of Range: 0, heat (friction) based Strike power, with an area effect on it that allows you to basically use the strike power on anyone you run past that falls within your area of effect. With 30 extra points, you could probably do it pretty easily. You could describe it as either friction based heat or static electricity that you leave in your wake. Don't forget to take Immunity to your own powers though. I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you don't like the game, or you don't like your GM, because doing that at superspeed would just about be game breaking.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-23, 09:48 PM
Alright, heres the sheet so far.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=77174

I've also asked the GM if bypassing the Campaign limit would be ok in hyper mode but have yet to receive an answer.