PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler/Shadowcraft Mage/Bonus Spells

Craig1f
2008-08-22, 09:32 AM
So I'm playing an overpowered game, where we are attempting to save living incarnations of each of the schools of magic. When we save one, he is able to teach us up to two spells from his school.

The short of it is, I'm a level 6 Beguiler/Mindbender, who will be a Shadowcraft mage. We've rescued Charm (Enchantment), Image (Illusions), and Shield (Abjuration).

I can learn spells from any school as long as I can cast at least one spell from that school. This means I can learn from every school except evocation and necromancy.

so, the question, what would be the best spells to learn from each school to suppliment my power? I've already taken Ray of Stupidity. I can also wait until later and take these spells when I've gained spell levels.

Abjuration:
1:Spell Turning
2:

Conjuration:
1: Black Tentacles
2: Dim Door

Divination:
1:
2:

Enchantment:
1: Ray of Stupidity
2: Programmed Amnesia

Evocation - Can't cast Dancing Lights because I took Shadow Weave Magic feat. As a result, I have no access to the school I believe

Illusion:
1: Programmed Illusion
2: Permanent Illusion

Necro - No access to school.

Transmutation:
1: Fly
2:

Any ideas?

valadil
2008-08-22, 11:09 AM
Have you considered any of the bloodline feats? They grant access to a set of 9 spells that you can cast because of some ancestry of yours. Since the spells are preset they usually give you 2 or 3 out of 9 that you actually want, but if you found a set that gave evocation and necromancy you could get free spells from those schools too.

Anyway, I'd pick up some spells to target reflex and fort saves. Maybe something without SR too.

Craig1f
2008-08-22, 12:27 PM
Have you considered any of the bloodline feats? They grant access to a set of 9 spells that you can cast because of some ancestry of yours. Since the spells are preset they usually give you 2 or 3 out of 9 that you actually want, but if you found a set that gave evocation and necromancy you could get free spells from those schools too.

Anyway, I'd pick up some spells to target reflex and fort saves. Maybe something without SR too.

Good thinking. Where are the bloodline feats?

I was thinking tentacles because A) no SR, and B) scales well, so it'll be useful even once I have spells above level 4.

I'll have Shadow Evocation/Conjuration from the Shadowcraft Mage levels, so I'll be able to cast any evocation spells I want. Although, they will always allow SR, which is why you're right, I should go after spells that don't allow SR.

I was thinking of taking Invisible Spell as a feat, so I can cast Shadow Evocations without being detected. I also thought about Arcane Mastery, which would let me take 10 on caster level checks for spell penetration. I'll be getting a bonus feat in a few levels (in addition to the feats I would normally get for leveling).

Frosty
2008-08-22, 12:40 PM
You can definitely take Evocation spells. Sending is an Evocation spell (5th level).

Take Contingency for Evocation. Once you rescue Conjuration, take Heal or something.

valadil
2008-08-22, 12:42 PM
The bloodlines come from dragon magazine. They were published in a book that covered most dragon material, but I forget its name. They can also be found online if you google. I think my favorite one is "penumbral bloodline."

Craig1f
2008-08-22, 12:53 PM
The bloodlines come from dragon magazine. They were published in a book that covered most dragon material, but I forget its name. They can also be found online if you google. I think my favorite one is "penumbral bloodline."

Ah, I'm already fairly overpowered in the group, so he probably won't let me take anything from dragon magazine. Good thought though.

You can definitely take Evocation spells. Sending is an Evocation spell (5th level).

Take Contingency for Evocation. Once you rescue Conjuration, take Heal or something.

NICE FIND! Woohoo for evocation!

I think I can only take arcane spells ... I'm pretty sure that rules out Heal. I'll check though. Contingency is a great idea.

Frosty
2008-08-22, 01:04 PM
Even if you can't take Divine Spells, Cure Critical Wounds is a 4th level Bard spell. Contingency it so if you ever fall below 1 health, it casts CCW on you. And EMPOWER it.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-22, 01:10 PM

You have to be a sorcerer for bloodline feats

valadil
2008-08-22, 01:19 PM
Not according to the Dragon Compendium. It says "Prerequisite: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation."

Craig1f
2008-08-22, 01:31 PM
Not according to the Dragon Compendium. It says "Prerequisite: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation."

Kind of a moot point on this thread. I can't use Dragon Magazine.

Feralgeist
2008-08-23, 02:41 AM
Take mindrape. Always mindrape. No situation can't be solved by it.

Craig1f
2008-08-27, 07:16 PM

what book is that?

Craig1f
2008-08-27, 07:20 PM
what book is that?

Nevermind, found it. BoVD

Vexxation
2008-08-27, 09:41 PM

Unless that situation is, "You've cast Mindrape so many times you are considered evil."

But then, you could just Mindrape people into thinking Mindraping isn't evil.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 09:44 PM
Unless that situation is, "You've cast Mindrape so many times you are considered evil."

But then, you could just Mindrape people into thinking Mindraping isn't evil.Would that work on a deity? Because if you cast it until every good-aligned god nat-one'd a save, then you could technically have the source of all that is good saying mindraping is good. Something to think about.

Vexxation
2008-08-27, 09:48 PM
Would that work on a deity? Because if you cast it until every good-aligned god nat-one'd a save, then you could technically have the source of all that is good saying mindraping is good. Something to think about.

Well, it'd have to be a very spontaneous thing because deities get that whole "month-ahead-notice" thing about anything pertaining to their portfolio, so a God of Good would get a little, "Ping!" if you schemed to Mindrape it into believing that Mindrape is good.

Then again, how would it stop you? You could just Mindrape its peons that it sends, and if it shows up, the same fate awaits.

Frosty
2008-08-28, 10:10 AM
Deities don't fail on a natural 1.