PDA

View Full Version : Has Pun Pun ever appeared in this comic?

celestialkin
2008-08-22, 02:47 PM
I am still just starting to read this (great) comic from the beginning, so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

I do not know why I ask this, but it just seems like Pun Pun would be a perfect thing to appear in this story's universe.

NerfTW
2008-08-22, 02:54 PM
He's the monster under the umbrella. :smalltongue:

blackspeeker
2008-08-22, 02:58 PM
Not yet, and hopefully never.

celestialkin
2008-08-22, 03:36 PM

That would be interesting.

Not yet, and hopefully never.

Why? :smallfrown:

Ichneumon
2008-08-22, 03:41 PM
Because there is nothing interesting about pun-pun other than the fact that he is what happens when players abuse the rules of the game.

T-O-E
2008-08-22, 03:55 PM
Pun Pun? Could someone explain to me who that is?

Also, i'd stay out of the forums for now, lest you be spoiled.

Zolem
2008-08-22, 03:57 PM
Who is pun-pun indeed. Is he a punishment, charecter type, specific individual, ect?

WalkingTarget
2008-08-22, 04:01 PM
Short version:

It's a character that, via rule loopholes, can give himself arbitrarily high stats and any ability at will. He's the answer to the question: "What's the most-optimal character build?" and exists for no other reason than to hold that title to prevent arguments about it. Nobody should ever actually try to play it because it's so uninteresting.

Traditionally, he's a low-level kobold (I think refinements of the basic idea have gotten his exploits to work at level 1 by this time).

SnowballMan
2008-08-22, 04:01 PM
I would be interested in joining in the conversation if I had the foggiest idea what a "Pun Pun" is.

SlightlyEvil
2008-08-22, 04:03 PM

Best theory yet.

Anyway, Pun-Pun is Exhibit A in Munchkinry. With judicious use of a few sourcebooks, a level 1 kobold was created to not only be the most powerful being in the universe, but the most powerful being theoretically possible.

celestialkin
2008-08-22, 04:06 PM
Short version:

It's a character that, via rule loopholes, can give himself arbitrarily high stats and any ability at will. He's the answer to the question: "What's the most-optimal character build?" and exists for no other reason than to hold that title to prevent arguments about it. Nobody should ever actually try to play it because it's so uninteresting.

Traditionally, he's a low-level kobold (I think refinements of the basic idea have gotten his exploits to work at level 1 by this time).

Pretty much.

Come on, it's a cute little kobold with the power of a god at it's will. What's not to love? :smallbiggrin:

SoC175
2008-08-22, 04:10 PM
Isn't Pun Pun the ideal being to grant ultimate arcane power to V (maybe the four words are "It's against the rules"?

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-22, 04:24 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801
If you'd like the long version, then click the above link.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-22, 04:39 PM
Pun-pun has appeared; he is going by the name of Elan.

Being all-powerful he got bored, and arbitrarily gave himself severe handicaps such as the Bard class, low stats (almost) across the board, and the Human race (which makes his self-generated handicaps irrevokable), thereby making himself permanently suboptimal.

Trizap
2008-08-22, 05:16 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801
If you'd like the long version, then click the above link.

*jaw falls to floor*

*eyes pop out of skull*

*head explodes*

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 05:26 PM
You know, given his cloning abilities, shapeshifting abilities, and raw power, he could be any or every one in the whole comic.

blackspeeker
2008-08-22, 06:35 PM
Because there is nothing interesting about pun-pun other than the fact that he is what happens when players abuse the rules of the game.

Celestialkin, this is why, and it is said far more eloquently than I could have said it. while poking fun at optimizers would be all well and good, and probably worth a good laugh or two, it feels done to death.

Wreckingrocc
2008-08-22, 06:37 PM
Pun-Pun has 2 things wrong in his creation.
A) It multiclasses between classes in 3.5 and 3.0.
B) It's campaign-setting-specific and the campaign setting was badly written.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-22, 06:53 PM
You know, given his cloning abilities, shapeshifting abilities, and raw power, he could be any or every one in the whole comic.

How would he do that?

ETA: never mind. he'd use that wu jen spamclone loop.

Dacia Brabant
2008-08-22, 07:03 PM
Pun-Pun is the Snarl, or rather the Snarl is what results from Pun-Pun's creation: total madness! :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-22, 09:31 PM
*jaw falls to floor*

*eyes pop out of skull*

*head explodes*

Are you an optimizer?:smallconfused:
Because that's a less severe then normal reaction....:smalltongue:

Corrupted One
2008-08-22, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Pun Pun is the reason Belkar had better savor his next birthday cake.

ericgrau
2008-08-22, 11:58 PM
Pun-Pun has 2 things wrong in his creation.
A) It multiclasses between classes in 3.5 and 3.0.
B) It's campaign-setting-specific and the campaign setting was badly written.

Really? And that's it?:smalltongue:

hamishspence
2008-08-23, 03:16 PM
that book might have been badly written in places, but not sure if that applies to whole campaign setting.

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-24, 01:12 AM
Pun Pun is the Oracle, duh. :smalltongue:

drengnikrafe
2008-08-24, 04:39 AM
Let me check something real quick

*Hunts through archives for moment at which the entire universe was instantaniously destroyed for lack of appearant reason*

If I had to guess, I'd say no.

Bayar
2008-08-24, 04:57 AM
If anyone is interested exactly HOW PunPun becomes the aforementioned Nigh Unstoppable Avatar of Death and Destruction, see my sigatar.

Yeah, summoning a god to grant him a candle of Invocation to summon an Efferet. The efferet gives him Plane shift, turn him into a Scaled one native to the plane of Toril and to summon a Sarrukh. The Sarrukh gives him Manipulate form and then, all Pun Pun has to do is find someone else to turn into collosal size, take their STR modifier, put it on himself permanently, turn himself into collosal size and grant the other being his new STR modifier. Rinse and repeat. For other stats it is something similar.

Now start worshiping the kobold race, for it is greater than any biped to ever breathe upon the face of the multiverse. (or, to put it bluntly, anything that a normal race can do, the kobold does it better)

Mercenary Pen
2008-08-24, 06:39 AM
Question is, has anyone dared/been foolish enough to run a battle with Pun-Pun vs. Pun-Pun? (Using Pun-Pun of equal capabilities).

hamishspence
2008-08-24, 06:48 AM
I got the impression that didn't work properly because Sarrukh were not extraplanar and thus, not summonable by Wish. Only epic spells summon high level, non-extraplanar creatures fully under your control.

They way I saw was that feat from Savage Species that enables you to use supernatural abilities of creatures you use magic to transform into.

celestialkin
2008-08-24, 06:51 AM
Now start worshiping the kobold race, for it is greater than any biped to ever breathe upon the face of the multiverse. (or, to put it bluntly, anything that a normal race can do, the kobold does it better)

I completely agree with everything said there. However, you forgot to mention how adorably cute they are.

Where did you get that awesome banner! As a kobold fanatic I want to know.

Is that Pun Pun himself on there?! :smallbiggrin:

Question is, has anyone dared/been foolish enough to run a battle with Pun-Pun vs. Pun-Pun? (Using Pun-Pun of equal capabilities).

There would not be a speck of dust left in the entire multiverse. Nothing would remain......

However, that is an amazing idea for the next time I want to shake up my homebrewed multiverse.

Bayar
2008-08-24, 07:43 AM
I completely agree with everything said there. However, you forgot to mention how adorably cute they are.

Where did you get that awesome banner! As a kobold fanatic I want to know.

Is that Pun Pun himself on there?! :smallbiggrin:

1. yeah, they are cute. Especially the female version. heh, scaly boobs FTW :tongue:

2. Drew it myself. Check out my thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81349

3. No, that is Yip Yip, my standard kobold character name (which usually consists of a venerable dragonwrought jungle kobold druid).