PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr I want Roy back!!

thurvok
2008-08-22, 03:11 PM
It has been 143 episodes... OOTS needs its leader back ASAP..

kpenguin
2008-08-22, 03:13 PM
Indeed. Our favorite dysfunctional adventuring party has become even more so after the death of its leader.

Let us pray to Banjo for the swift return of Sir Greenhilt.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-22, 03:15 PM
I think we all want Roy back.

hnokki
2008-08-22, 03:28 PM
I don't. At least not anytime soon.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 03:44 PM
A lot of us want him back.

Setra
2008-08-22, 03:47 PM
I want him back too :(

AKA_Bait
2008-08-22, 03:48 PM
Me three. Or is it me six?

T-O-E
2008-08-22, 03:50 PM
For a second there I thought this was going to be another "I WANT ROY BACK, I'M NOT GOING TO READ OOTS ANYMORE!!!" rant threads.

Emanick
2008-08-22, 06:05 PM
Thank goodness it's not.
I want Roy back, but I want it done well. Meaning, like in ten-fifteen strips. We've waited over a year, we can wait a month or two longer.
He's my favorite character, and although his death was a good plot point now that I realize it, I'm getting sick of a hiltless comic. (The afterlife strips don't count; it's his interaction with the OOTS that's really funny.)

Occasional Sage
2008-08-22, 06:10 PM
I want Roy back, but I want it done well. Meaning, like in ten-fifteen strips. We've waited over a year, we can wait a month or two longer.
He's my favorite character, and although his death was a good plot point now that I realize it, I'm getting sick of a Greenhiltless comic. (The afterlife strips don't count; it's his interaction with the OOTS that's really funny.)

Edited and quoted for truth.

Having it done without breaking credulity is important. But he's loads of fun.

Gamerlord
2008-08-22, 06:14 PM
I dont want roy back i hated him because he hated elan.

tribble
2008-08-22, 06:23 PM
I dont see Roy coming back in 15 strips, I mean, Haley is clear across the world in a mainland city hiding out in a scry-proof basement, and the OOTSers on the ship are going to spend probably another 10-15 Strips dealing with the Assasins and Qarr and the Devil monster, not to mention another month or three to explore the Elan-Therkla plot, Because The Giant doesnt put stuff like that in the comic and never take it anywhere as far as I've seen. Nope

Emanick
2008-08-22, 06:26 PM
I dont see Roy coming back in 15 strips, I mean, Haley is clear across the world in a mainland city hiding out in a scry-proof basement, and the OOTSers on the ship are going to spend probably another 10-15 Strips dealing with the Assasins and Qarr and the Devil monster, not to mention another month or three to explore the Elan-Therkla plot, Because The Giant doesnt put stuff like that in the comic and never take it anywhere as far as I've seen. Nope

What about the cleric with the capability to cast Resurrection?
It's not like Redcloak and Durkon are the only level 13+ clerics in the world.

blackspeeker
2008-08-22, 06:30 PM

Hating elan and finding elan annoying are two very different things, I'm pretty sure he actually likes him now, seeing , I'm more than certain he would have never gone back to rescue elan, got a sex change to save his life, or taken a couple of arrows in his ass if he hated elan.

chiasaur11
2008-08-22, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't go that far.

Very strongly disliked at most by the end, I'd say.

And who can blame Roy for being exasperated with Elan? The guy nearly got him killed more than once.

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 07:20 PM

Can you blam him? Yeah, Elan may be funny when viewed from the outside, but if you had to deal with him you wouldn't enjoy him either.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-22, 09:33 PM

Where'd that theory come from?

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-22, 09:47 PM
Indeed. Our favorite dysfunctional adventuring party has become even more so after the death of its leader.This is almost true, but Roy being dead has little to do with it. The reason why the order is more dysfunctional is because they are split into two groups. Roy being dead is only a contributing factor.

blackspeeker
2008-08-22, 10:41 PM
Where'd that theory come from?

I think the kid makes it up.

I mean you could theorize, and Im more than certain it has been before on these forums, that roy likes Elan more than any other member of the order, because he reminds him in some form or fashion of his younger brother, and he only gets angry at him because he doesn't want him to met the same fate.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-08-22, 10:56 PM
I second the above statement.

Remember this?:

:roy: "Get down!"
:elan: "But I don't want to fight in the shade!"

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-22, 10:59 PM
Roy isn't coming back because then the story would have to start moving forward again, and it is pretty obvious that the powers that be don't have any clear idea of what direction to move it in, atm.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-22, 11:13 PM
Wait what?
That doesn't make any sense.....
I would put my money on the fact that Rich is moving towards the story destination he wants, and is simply not taking the fastest possible route.

SPoD
2008-08-23, 01:21 AM
Roy isn't coming back because then the story would have to start moving forward again, and it is pretty obvious that the powers that be don't have any clear idea of what direction to move it in, atm.

Right, that's why the at-the-time irrelevant point of Kazumi and Daigo being made nobles way back in #501 just led directly to the plot point in the current comic, because it wasn't planned at all. Uh huh. Sure. Everyone knows that only writers who don't know where they're going with the story lay down plot seeds 85 strips in advance.

:annoyed:

kpenguin
2008-08-23, 01:23 AM
Right, that's why the at-the-time irrelevant point of Kazumi and Daigo being made nobles way back in #501 just led directly to the plot point in the current comic, because it wasn't planned at all. Uh huh. Sure. Everyone knows that only writers who don't know where they're going with the story lay down plot seeds 85 strips in advance.

:annoyed:

To quote the Giant himself,

"SPoD has it right"

David Argall
2008-08-23, 01:47 AM
I mean you could theorize, and Im more than certain it has been before on these forums, that roy likes Elan more than any other member of the order, because he reminds him in some form or fashion of his younger brother, and he only gets angry at him because he doesn't want him to met the same fate.

Go back to the bandit story. Roy was the only one who wanted to just abandon Elan to whatever his fate was. Now Roy has tried to help Elan several times, but Roy tries to help people, period. Elan is just an idiot who needs help rather often. There is just no evidence Roy even likes Elan, much less likes him more than the others. [Well, he may well like him more than Belkar, which would be the same point. Roy has also tried to rescue Belkar's unworthy ass too.]
Roy is simply a nice guy trying to deal with a major annoyance and is too nice to kick him to the curb.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-23, 01:55 AM
I don't want Roy back.

Because the forums would explode with hilarity.

Setra
2008-08-23, 01:59 AM
There is just no evidence Roy even likes Elan, much less likes him more than the others.
Right, because as we all know when you don't like a guy you spend what you presume to be your dying moments wishing him a happy life.

Trizap
2008-08-23, 02:04 AM
I agree with Blackspeeker, and I say that Rich can do what he wants with the plot as he wants it, theres no use protesting about it, it won't change anything, Roy's death will be as long as the Giant intends it to be

frankly I perfectly ok with what he is doing right now, its good storytelling, I appreciate that in a writer, it simply wouldn't be good storytelling if he just sped things up to please everyone, the quality of the plot and story come first, the comedy second, and the protests of the masses comes last, every good writer knows that.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-23, 02:11 AM

No dude, Roy liked Elan

Borris
2008-08-23, 05:24 AM
I'd like Roy to come back, too, but I think a split party with a living Roy would be just as dysfunctional as a split party with a dead Roy. If I had to venture a guess... I'd say Roy's resurrection and the reunification of the Order of the Stick will occur less than 10 strips away from each other (barring non-OotS related strips such as those involving O-Chul and Team Evil). Looking at the current situation, the party is a long way to get reunited. When things calm down with Kubota and it looks like the party's two halves have a chance to meet up, I'll start expecting Roy to be resurrected. But not before.

Guran
2008-08-23, 06:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Roy will be back on his feet soon enough. It is to be expected that he'll be dead untill the end of this story arc, which we should be approaching by now. (I think, offcourse I can't watch in the giants head).
Hopefully this priest off Loki is up to the job.

Eric
2008-08-23, 08:54 AM
(The afterlife strips don't count; it's his interaction with the OOTS that's really funny.)

Actually, I think Roy "grew up" a lot there in the afterlife. He gave up trying to score one off on dad and decided that wasn't him and getting down to Eugene's level just demeaned him.

Elan got his little advance in maturity when he became a dashing swordsman and got on with Haley. Haley got hers when she got over the shyness and told herself to SAY IT. V's got its own growing up yet to come and Durkon was always too grown up to really fit (the nearest was with Hilga).

Roy needs to come back. If for nothing else than giving Celia a chance to grow up and for Belkar to get revived.

Eric
2008-08-23, 08:55 AM

No he didn't. Elan *exasperated* him.

Eric
2008-08-23, 09:02 AM
Go back to the bandit story. Roy was the only one who wanted to just abandon Elan to whatever his fate was.

And felt bad about it. Very nearly immediately

There is just no evidence Roy even likes Elan, much less likes him more than the others.

Including becoming a woman? Taking two arrows in the arse? That's not evidence?

Remember, becoming a woman he KNEW would open him up to jibes from practically the entire party. V excluded because there's no different to V between male and female, Durkon because he's the straight man. Except when it comes to trees.

Borris, the Hinjo arc doesn't really have to end when Roy gets there. Plenty of it can still be taken down, but now with Belkar to stab, Roy to think and Haley to steal the proof.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:12 AM
If there wasn't enough evidence to back up my claim that the strip has come to dead halt before, there is now with the most recent strip (587). I don't even have to comment. You all pretty much just have to admit that I was right.

Querzis
2008-08-23, 10:21 AM
Actually, I think Roy "grew up" a lot there in the afterlife. He gave up trying to score one off on dad and decided that wasn't him and getting down to Eugene's level just demeaned him.

Agreed, I really liked the afterlife strip and the strip with Roy little brother is one of my favorite. But I still want Roy back as soon as possible. I really hope that Cleric of Loki can cast resurection.

If there wasn't enough evidence to back up my claim that the strip has come to dead halt before, there is now with the most recent strip (587). I don't even have to comment. You all pretty much just have to admit that I was right.

...what? This is the greatest strip we had in a long time.

Edit: reading some of your other posts apparently your only purpose here is to complain anyway...make you wonder why you became a member in the first place.

Beholder1995
2008-08-23, 10:31 AM
I'd love it if Roy came back.

But I can't quite imagine just what he'll bring back if he came back... it's not like he's been prophesised to be the one who kills Xykon.... I think it's definitely a possibility that Roy won't come back.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:32 AM
Edit: reading some of your other posts apparently your only purpose here is to complain anyway...make you wonder why you became a member in the first place.

Because someone has to speak out against the recent failings of this comic. I wouldn't complain if it wasn't worth it. If the comic was never good there would be nothing to complain about.

Diddgery
2008-08-23, 10:34 AM
I'm content in waiting for his eventual resurrection (though this partly has to do with me reading the entire archives of the comic only a few months ago). Like Frosty the Snowman, Roy will be back again someday.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:37 AM
I'm content in waiting for his eventual resurrection (though this partly has to do with me reading the entire archives of the comic only a few months ago). Like Frosty the Snowman, Roy will be back again someday.

{Scrubbed}

Morty
2008-08-23, 10:39 AM
Because someone has to speak out against the recent failings of this comic. I wouldn't complain if it wasn't worth it. If the comic was never good there would be nothing to complain about.

You're not so much "complaining" as "throwing accusations with nothing to back up your claims". Not only you have no evidence that author doesn't know where the story is going, but recent events show that yes, everything has been planned just as every book or comic is.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:40 AM
You're not so much "complaining" as "throwing accusations with nothing to back up your claims". Not only you have no evidence that author doesn't know where the story is going, but recent events show that yes, everything has been planned just as every book or comic is.

{Scrubbed}

Morty
2008-08-23, 10:43 AM
{Scrubbed}.

Show me this evidence, then. Tell me why do you think the story is going nowhere rather than having merely slowed down.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:51 AM
Show me this evidence, then. Tell me why do you think the story is going nowhere rather than having merely slowed down.

{Scrubbed}

Morty
2008-08-23, 10:53 AM
{Scrubbed}

So, instead of providing any evidence you'd rather accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about. I can't say I'm surprised.

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 10:56 AM
So, instead of providing any evidence you'd rather accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about. I can't say I'm surprised.

{Scrubbed}

Spiryt
2008-08-23, 11:08 AM
{Scrubbed}

So maybe show us a bit stuff from those "massive heaps of evidence"?

So far people gave you few reasons why they think that Rich knows what he is doing.

I must agree with you that 587 was awful, I find it massively unconvincing and generally missed.

blackspeeker
2008-08-23, 11:32 AM
Go back to the bandit story. Roy was the only one who wanted to just abandon Elan to whatever his fate was.

I think the bandit arc was there for multiple reasons, and one was for roy to realize he liked elan.

Now I know you said there is no evidence Roy like Elan, but I think there is, most people would be unwilling to take a few arrows so a party member wouldn't have to, even in a game of dnd.

Forealms
2008-08-23, 12:30 PM
To be honest, I can easily see Roy as the guy who dies eight times and comes back every time. It's just the sort of thing he'd do.

EDIT: And by "he', I mean the Giant.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-23, 02:02 PM
{Scrubbed}
I have a feeling that at strip 600 nothing importent happens. At strip 601, however, The humans rebel agaisnt the azure city hobgoblins, Roy is raised from the dead, Kazumi and Diago's baby is born, and incrimanating evidance against Kubota is found, causig a confrontation.

And then The giant takes a break from OOTS for a bit, just to make a cliffhanger for abit.:smalltongue:

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 02:10 PM
{Scrubbed}

{Scrubbed}

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-23, 02:37 PM
{Scrubbed}

kpenguin
2008-08-23, 03:53 PM
Holy scrubfest, Batman!

Guys, could we please drop the line of conversation or at least move it to a different thread before this thread is locked?

Querzis
2008-08-23, 11:38 PM
I have a feeling that at strip 600 nothing importent happens. At strip 601, however, The humans rebel agaisnt the azure city hobgoblins, Roy is raised from the dead, Kazumi and Diago's baby is born, and incrimanating evidance against Kubota is found, causig a confrontation.

I actually think it would be really funny but the problem is that, even with a new server, the forum woudnt be able to take a comic like that.

Guys, could we please drop the line of conversation or at least move it to a different thread before this thread is locked?

It wont be a problem, Funky has been banned (I'm surprised it took that much time actually).

Hithros
2008-08-24, 01:53 AM
When I was reading through this thread, I noticed a lot of people were rebutting the person who said he/she didn't like Roy because Roy hated Elan. Despite the fact I think Roy does not hate Elan, I don't really think that so many people should point out/crush his reasoning...it seems a bit like picking on him/her.

rickvoid
2008-08-24, 03:31 AM
Hello all. It's been a while since I posted on the site (I doubt any of you would remember me) but I have continued to follow the comic and occasionally pop in to see what everyone has to say about it. I would like to weigh in on this topic.

While I would love to see Roy return, bring the team back together, and go chasing off to Girard's Gate, I think it would make for poor plot. This is a chance for the Order to pull together all the little sub-plots they had going and use them to become the Heroes they need to be to stop Xykon and Redcloak. Haley has had to go back to Greysky City, a place where she could be killed, in order to find someone to help her and Celia resurrect Roy. Elan has had to take on quite a bit of responsibility as Hinjo's bodyguard, and Therkla is the first woman interested in him that he has met since he and Haley got separated. Vaarsuvius is losing it because his/her magic, previously thought infallible, has proven useless in locating his/her perhaps only "true" friend, Haley. Belkar has recently had the badass knocked out of him by the Mark of Justice. That's gotta be his idea of erectile dysfunction. And Durkon? Well... Durkon is Durkon. It's hard to have character growth when you're a Dwarven Cleric who knows that the only way he'll be going home is in a bodybag.

I don't expect Roy to return until the Order is ready. What ready means, in my humble opinion, is an Order that has worked out most, if not all, of their backstory issues, have managed to get themselves back together, and have put stopping Xykon back into place as their first priority.

Yes, that means I don't think Haley or Celia will bring Roy back on their own, and they may not even recover his body. It means that Elan is going to have to let Therkla down firmly but gently (which he is doing an okay job of right now, but I have a feeling Therkla's change of heart has more to do with him than anything else). It means that V is going to have to suck it up and accept that he/she has limitations. Alot more is going to have to happen before we get there, but the more time the Giant takes to set up Roy's return, the more awesome and effective it will be. We're talking pillar of light, recieve his sword, shake Elan's hand, hug his girlfriend, "Let's finish this" AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

Ahem. Got a little carried away at the end there. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Oh, and for the folks who think Roy hates Elan, I want you to think about the following. He goes back to rescue Elan from the Bandits. He puts on the Belt of Gender Changing to get help for Elan. He takes arrows for Elan, despite the fact that Elan is in little danger from them. And he uses the last few seconds of his life to wish Elan and Haley whatever happiness they can find. And then I want you to recall that he lost his little brother in some sort of tragic accident when he was a child. I don't think it is much of a stretch to imagine Roy using Elan as a substitute for his lost sibling, especially if you look at how Roy and Julia get along. Not much difference.

Here I endeth my long-assed post.:smallwink:

Lissou
2008-08-24, 03:38 AM
I don't want "Roy back" in the way that I don't think he's gone. He's still in the comic, and still being funny. And I don't want him to come back to life earlier (or later, I guess) than is necessary for the story.

So I'm not at all frustrated by the fact he is dead. I would have missed him without the afterlife strips and the "Roy visiting" strips, but as they were there, I don't miss him. He's still there as far as I am concerned.

Kaytara
2008-08-24, 03:44 AM
I like that idea. The Order would be much more competent, effective and capable of taking on Xykon if they got over some of their issues. If Roy got back at this point, they'd just let him assume responsibility and make all the decisions again. With him gone, they are forced to grow. This COULD be where all this is going.

random11
2008-08-24, 07:19 AM
This is almost true, but Roy being dead has little to do with it. The reason why the order is more dysfunctional is because they are split into two groups. Roy being dead is only a contributing factor.

Still, Roy's sanity (more or less) could probably fix the damage in any one of the two groups.

shadowpriest
2008-08-24, 11:15 AM
I don't expect Roy to return until the Order is ready. What ready means, in my humble opinion, is an Order that has worked out most, if not all, of their backstory issues, have managed to get themselves back together, and have put stopping Xykon back into place as their first priority.

whoa. You seem to have a deep understanding of the story's "psychology". not seeing roy for a while upsets me a bit :smallfrown: but there's nothing to do but suck it up and have faith in rich burlew.
trying to think rationally, i'd say that the kazumi sub-plot will be resolved first, then the giant fiend (demon or devil :smallconfused:?), then haley's affair in greysky city, with some space for therkla and elan.

however, quoting Slaanesh:

I have a feeling that at strip 600 nothing important happens. At strip 601, however, the humans rebel against the azure city hobgoblins, Roy is raised from the dead, Kazumi and Diago's baby is born, and incriminating evidence against Kubota is found, causing a confrontation.

that would be very hilarious :smallbiggrin:. i can see from now all OOTS fans, trepidantly expecting strip #600... and nothing important is revealed. hehehe!

but, as i already said, we all have to trust Rich.:smallcool:

David Argall
2008-08-24, 12:38 PM
for the folks who think Roy hates Elan,
Roy does not hate Elan. He just find him annoying and a burden.

He goes back to rescue Elan from the Bandits.
Having left him in the first place. By that standard, everybody else in the party likes Elan better than Roy does.

He puts on the Belt of Gender Changing to get help for Elan. He takes arrows for Elan, despite the fact that Elan is in little danger from them.
And he would do the same for random mook.
Note here that Roy also helped rescue Belkar from Miko's on the spot justice, among other times. This despite Belkar fully deserving it.

And he uses the last few seconds of his life to wish Elan and Haley whatever happiness they can find.
Like he has anything else to do with that time?

And then I want you to recall that he lost his little brother in some sort of tragic accident when he was a child. I don't think it is much of a stretch to imagine Roy using Elan as a substitute for his lost sibling, especially if you look at how Roy and Julia get along. Not much difference.

Big difference. Roy rushes to see his younger brother. He tries to avoid Elan who rushes after Roy.
And you are pretty much drawing on a blank canvas here. We get a very limited bit of babbling about Roy's younger brother and none of it is useful for considering Elan. We get 500 strips and one is supposed to be key to the whole thing? Most suspect.

HealthKit
2008-08-24, 09:12 PM
I thought Roy couldn't come back until he bumped into Miko in the afterlife.

Just kidding. :smalltongue: It's been suggested before and it's not going to happen.