PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-22, 08:02 PM
The ancient Dragonborn, Korba, has entrusted you all with a mission of the utmost importance. Talking in a hoarse, cracked voice, he told you of his suspicions about the ancient ruins above Winterhaven. A year ago, perhaps more, a human named Kalarel and his group of cultists fled into the Keep on the Shadowfell, disappearing into the depths of that forbidden place. Recent events have made him worry ever more about Kalarel - there has been talk of evil rituals conducted within the crumbling stone keep, and strange reports of kobolds gathering in the area. The aging paladin thinks that the Great Enemy is at work. Sending you out from his church, Korba bade you to go to Winterhaven and investigate the keep and stop any dark practices occurring there. A reward (and the old lizard's gratitude) have been promised should you successfully carry out this task.

You're only a few hours from Winterhaven now but the tepid heat in the air around you, as well as the rough condition of the road, make the short journey remaining unappetising. You have no idea what you will find once you arrive in Winterhaven, or what lies brooding within the Keep on the Shadowfell. Korba is rarely wrong about such things.

Eldmor
2008-08-22, 08:35 PM
This sun is quite simply dreadful. The young fey takes a cyan silk handkerchief from his breast pocket and wipes the sweat from his brow and pads his boy's cut, blonde hair. His features are extremely fair and smooth, not having a single scar, blemish, or burn. As if he didn't look pampered enough, his sky blue regalia reminds you of the fact. As if we have something to look forward to. KOBOLDS! His snark is injected especially into the last word. If I wanted to kill vermin I'd be born to a slum.

fendrin
2008-08-22, 09:03 PM
Ander

The young halfling walks along the road stoically, seeming not to feel the heat at all. The only concession he has made is that his hood and face mask hang from the neck of his dark green accented black tunic rather than being worn in place. This reveals much more of the tanned skin common to the northlands than Ander typically shows. His hair, a brown so dark it might as well be black, is short-cropped and unruly, standing on end in a variety of directions but somehow suiting his angular features. His eyes are a similar deep brown shade, such that on the rare times he passes through a shaded patch of road his eyes become deep dark pits devoid of reflected light.

"Kobolds do not concern me. Kalarel is the bigger threat."

OnnaOtaku
2008-08-22, 09:05 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu
Kuan turns to Luke. Never let your guard down. What seems to be a simple task might become more difficult than expected. The older man has a thoughtful yet serious look on his face. He has the look of a true warrior. His skin is bronzed from constantly being outdoors. His dark brown eyes seem to have a spark of fire within them. His short black hair flutters in the slight breeze. His features are rough like stone, which is complimented by his comfortable stone gray attire.

Jokes
2008-08-22, 09:31 PM
"Suck it up, Luke. We are almost there." The Genasi can barely hide his own discomfort however. Looking into the clear blue sky, Einar hopes to see a single storm cloud, but there is nothing more than thin wisps of clouds. Sighing, he runs a hand through his pale blue hair. "What I would give for an inch of rain right now..."

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-22, 09:51 PM
Garith struggles to keep pace with the others, his heavy armor slowing him down more than his companions as well as causing the constant cacophony of creaking leather and rattling chains to fill the air. His shoulder length hair is pushed back off of his face, the hair and the raven feathers tied into the black strands helping to keep the sun of his rather fair, a no doubt extremely sweaty neck.

He takes out his water skin and takes a sip as he trudges along behind his companions and after he partakes of the water he pours a rather sizable amount of it on his armor, cooling the sun-warmed rings and thus, himself.

"A lone kobold is no threat to us, but a contingent will be." he says, eyes taking in the appearance of Luke. He smiles when Einar wishes for rain for he too wouldn't mind a brief reprieve from the rather daunting heat.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-23, 01:13 PM
As you walk along the dirt road, you notice that here and there an occasional cobblestone peeks forth, indicating decades of neglect. The path splits into two only a little further on - one small, dirtier track leading off to the left, and the ancient cobblestoned road heading straight ahead. There are tracks in the roadside dirt - tracks of small, clawed feet that jumble forwards and backwards, and then continue on the left-hand path. You can smell something clogging up the still air.

Perception checks please. Let me know if you are going to investigate the tracks.

Eldmor
2008-08-23, 01:33 PM
[roll0] Luke casually listens to his surroundings.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-23, 02:59 PM
Garith stops and looks at the split in the road, taking in the disrepair of one and the markings on the other. "I have heard that Kobolds are creatures of trickery and guile. These tracks might be a ruse." He leans on his scythe for a long moment, eyes watching the tracks even as his human ears struggle to take in every available sound.

Perception

1d20+5

fendrin
2008-08-23, 05:23 PM
Ander

Ander allows the others to examine the tracks, he keeps his eyes and ears trained to detect a potential ambush.
[roll0]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-23, 05:35 PM
Ander hears a scrabbling from one of the bushes on the left-hand side of the road and, looking, notices the leaves quiver from movement inside.

fendrin
2008-08-23, 06:10 PM
Ander

Ander casually pulls his mask and hood into position. He whispers to Luke:
"On my word, quickly and without hesitation, set fire to that bush."

When Luke indicates that he has heard him, he draws his shortsword in one hand and a dagger in the other, shouting:
"To arms, we are attacked!"

Eldmor
2008-08-23, 06:37 PM
Luke puts away his handkerchief and gives a nod. He takes out his wand, 7" ivory, and utters a word of arcane power.
Naur.
A small ember flies from the wand and plants itself in the bush, slowly setting it ablaze.
Prestidigitation, lighting a small fire. No damage, but it should certainly startle whatever is in there.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-23, 06:49 PM
There's a louder, more hurried scuffling noise from the bush and something small and dark-skinned bursts from the back of it and sets off, running rapidly rapidly on the edge of the left-hand path. The polished shield on its left wrist flickers like a heliotrope as it goes.

The flames consume the bush quickly in the still heat, and the burning leaves give off a heavy, acrid smoke.

Jokes
2008-08-23, 11:15 PM
Einar

"What was that?" He looks over at Ander. "Perhaps in the future you could be a little more careful. What if that were a small child in there?"

Nature: [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Eldmor
2008-08-23, 11:30 PM
I've seen that creature in a tome somewhere. Now which one... Luke takes his hand to his forehead and plumbs the depths of his knowledge.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-23, 11:52 PM
Luke
You easily recognise the creature as a Kobold. You recall that kobolds are cunning, devious creatures with a penchant for ambushes. Thinking of this brings to mind the interesting anecdote of Chalk the Strong, a golden-haired, southern barbarian who spent the last twenty years of his life looking for the lips of a Kobold. Of course, every learned scholar knows that there are no such things.

fendrin
2008-08-24, 09:16 AM
Ander

Somewhat shocked by the lack of reaction from the rest of the group, Ander chases the fleeing kobold, but then stops and throws his dagger.

move action to get closer (6 squares)
minor action to shift one more square towards the kobold
ranged basic attack:
[roll0] vs. AC
[roll1]
If I have combat advantage, that's an additional +2 to hit and sneak attack:
[roll2]

EDIT: First attack of the game and I crit. Nice! Crit maxes damage, so that's 8 damage (20 if I get sneak attack damage!)

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 11:55 AM
Your dagger flies into the back of the Kobold's neck with a thunk, and the creature utters a strangled, wet cry and then collapses to the ground below. A thin spray of blood quickly begins to pool on the dirt track beside the corpse.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-24, 01:06 PM
Garith is momentarily startled by the sudden motion of Ander drawing his weapons and shouting even as Luke sets the bush ablaze. When the kobold leaps out of the bush and starts to run Garith instinctively reaches for his holy symbol but in the instant it takes him to bring his symbol to bear Ander is already in motion.

When the Kobold is dropped he makes his way towards the small, scaled body of the creature, nudging it with his foot as he leans heavily on his scythe. "A sentry perhaps?" He asks, to no one in particular as he looks over the body, turning it over onto its back with his foot.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 01:19 PM
The face of the Kobold is rigid in a cry of pain, small, sharp fangs protruding from its open mouth. Ander's knife emerges from the throat of the thing. It looks up at you, yellow eyes mottled and lifeless, with a thousand-yard stare.

The creature is wearing some kind of crudely tanned armour, made from thick hides and leather stitched together poorly. A short sheathe is buckled at the Kobold's right side. The shield it carries, made of shell, has been coated in some kind of stinking gauze or oil, and the shiny, sticky-looking surface of it reflects the light like a mirror.

Eldmor
2008-08-24, 02:12 PM
Luke precariously looks over the corpse of the green bugger. A crude-looking kobold if I've every seen one. A glance at the dagger through the kobold's throat and Luke backpedals away, holding his pants up.
Let's keep going, staring at this cretin won't make us any cooler. Winterhaven shouldn't be too far away from here.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-24, 02:29 PM
Garith examines the dead, lifeless eyes of the Kobold for a long moment before he crouches down next to the creature and unceremoniously retrieves Ander's dagger, cleaning it off on the Kobold's roughly made armor before he hands it over to the halfling.

He runs his fingers over the shell shield and it's mirror-like surface for a moment before he stands back up. "Whatever he was, he belongs to my Mistress now." he says, taking a few steps back before he leans on his scythe once more.

He smiles a small, sarcastic smile at the words of Luke. "With a name like Winterhaven one would think the travel would be somewhat cooler."

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 03:03 PM
The dagger comes out with a plop!, allowing you to see the bloodstained grass underneath the gaping, gushing wound in the Kobold's neck. Some of the foul-smelling compound comes off in your hand, sticky and oozing, and your fingerprints have left a trail in this gauze on the surface of the shield. It smells vaguely metallic, but with a biting, strongly unpleasant undercurrent of something else.

If everyone could please make another Perception check. Sight based this time. You don't have to describe it, and can roll OOC if you'd like. :smalltongue:

Eldmor
2008-08-24, 03:15 PM
[roll0] Text to lengthen my post goes here.

fendrin
2008-08-24, 03:15 PM
Ander

Ander takes the dagger from Garith with a nod of thanks.
"A scout would be my guess. That shield is probably used as a signaling device, like a mirror. Probably to let the other kobolds know when to spring the ambush."

He looks around to determine where a likely ambush point might be, particularly one that could be signaled from the bush where the kobold was hiding.

fendrin
2008-08-24, 03:19 PM
sorry for the double post, but I can't add a roll to my previous post, so no choice...
[roll0]

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-24, 03:40 PM
"Yes, you are probably right." he says, looking around as well, keeping a sharp eye out for any unusual movements.

Perception
[roll0]

Jokes
2008-08-24, 08:46 PM
Einar

"Well, I will say, that was a fantastic shot."

Perception: [roll0]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 08:56 PM
Ander, Einar, Kuan-Ti Lu

Each of you notices two flashes of light coming from far off to the left. There a brief pause, lasting only a couple of seconds, and then another flash of light follows.

Jokes
2008-08-24, 09:10 PM
Einar

A second after the flashes, Einar looks at Ander. "It's an ambush." he whispers to the group. He draws his sword, motioning for others to do the same.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 09:11 PM
Einar

A second after the flashes, Einar looks at Ander. "It's an ambush." he whispers to the group. He draws his sword, motioning for others to do the same.

Apologies for not being clearer. Far off to the left, down the dirt-track road.

EDIT: This sounds kind of rude, so please understand I do not mean to be.

fendrin
2008-08-25, 08:40 AM
Ander

Ander shrugs at Einar's comment. He knows it was a lucky shot, but he's not going to reject a compliment, earned or not.

When he sees the flashes of light, he gets an idea.
"When they don't get a response, they'll come to investigate. This is a good chance to set up a counter-ambush. They'll dine with our Dark Lady tonight."
He smirks sardonically, making the claw like gesture common to worshipers of the Raven Queen in the southern lands.
"Seems only fair, that's what they were planning for us."

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-25, 03:34 PM
Garith looks around but is not able to see the flashes that Ander and the others have. He frowns at his own lack of perception as he turns his attention to the corpse. He nods when Ander speaks his plan.

"Quickly then, one of use will break off a leafy branch and travel back down the path to cover our foot prints then double back through the bush while the rest of us hide behind the trees. I will take the body off the road." he says in a low whisper. He turns to Ander, by far the most cunning of the group when it comes to matters of stealth. "What say you Ander?" he asks, placing his scythe on his back before he crouches down, ready to move the body.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-25, 08:12 PM
Okay, here's a horrible map that will have to do for now. I'll work on getting a better system, as the tiler I was planning to use has failed horribly. Thankfully, I'll be able to obtain maps for the keep itself (At least, I sincerely hope so - I have a download, let's pray it all works out).

__|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|
01|T|T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |D|D| | |B|B|
02| | | |T|T|T|T|T| | |D|D| | |B|
03| | | |T|T|T|T| | | |D|D| | | |
04| | |T|T|T| | | |K| |D|D| | | |
05| | | | | | | | | | | |D|D| | |
06| | | | | | | | | | |D|D| | | |
07| | | | | | | | | | |D|D|S| | |
08| | | |B|B| | | | |D|D|S|S| | |
09| | | | |B|B| | | |D|D| | | | |
10| | | | | | | | | |D|D| | | | |
11| | | | | | | | | |D|D| |S| |R|
12| | | | |B| | | | |R|R|R|R|R|R|
13| | | |B|B| |R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|
14| | | |R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R| | |
15|R|R|R|R|R|R|R| | | |S| | | | |
16|R|R|R|R| | | | | | | |S|S| | |
17|R|R| | | | | | | | | |S|S|S| |
18| | | | | |S|S| | | | | | | | |
19| | | | | |S|S| | | | | | | | |
20| |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
22|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|S| | | | | |
21|T|T|T|T|T| | | | |S| | | | | |
23|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | |
24|T|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B| | |
25|T|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B| | |

Key:
T = Trees. Small copses of trees litter the area.
R = Road. This is the ancient road leading to Winterhaven
B = Bushes. Short but wide leafy bushes with brittle, arrowhead leaves.
S = Stones. These outcrops of rock and boulders vary in size. The larger outcrops are the height of a man.
D = Dirt path. The poorly-maintained track leading off to the left.
K = Alas, Poor Kobold! I knew him well.

I haven't placed your characters because, well, you're about to move.

Jokes
2008-08-26, 08:32 AM
Einar

Not usually one for hiding, Einar would rather give the kobolds a fair fight. "I'll be the bait."

Einar will stand next to the dead kobold, at I5, unless you can convince him to do otherwise :smallwink:

Eldmor
2008-08-26, 09:14 AM
Sounds fine to me. No one will mind with me hiding far away. As Luke goes behind an outcropping of rocks, it's odd that it looks like he knows how to hide. He folds in the flows of his clothes, and puts his back to the rocks, like an assassin in an alley.
Or in Luke's case, a child that's an expert at "Find the Flmyff", a popular game for feyish children. One child is the Hunter and the rest are Flmyffs, who have a minute to hide.
Luke sighs to himself at the flashback to a childhood game. I'm out here risking my life now, not playing Flmyff number 27. Focus.
Luke will be at G-20, hiding behind the rock outcropping and occasionally peeking at Einar to see if the kobolds have attacked him yet.
[roll0]

OnnaOtaku
2008-08-26, 09:54 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan hides in some bushes. He takes a look at Einar and makes a silent prayer. May Kord watch over us in battle. Be strong friend.

Kuan will be at D7 hiding behind some bushes. [roll0]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-26, 03:18 PM
Five minutes pass uneventfully, with the dull heat pressing down on you. Crouched behind bushes, or rocks, you're even more uncomfortable than you were walking. Einar glimpses something moving up ahead, but it turns out to simply be a bird flitting from tree to tree.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-26, 03:23 PM
Garith nods his head when Einar volunteers to be the lure in this, hopefully, deadly trap. Garith stands back up and makes his way westwards, into the trees, hoping the trees and the underbrush will help hid him from the enemy.

Moving to F2.
Stealth. [roll0]

OnnaOtaku
2008-08-26, 03:36 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan is slightly unnerved by the lack of action. Something seems wrong. Why is no one coming? Kuan looks around from his hiding spot to see if he can find any sign of the enemy approaching.

[roll0]

fendrin
2008-08-26, 08:27 PM
Ander

Looking at Einar with a vague expression of disapproval on his face, he responds simply,
"Just remember when they appear to draw them back to the road, don't run to them."

With that he climbs a tree at the edge of the nearby copse and waits silently and patiently.

Climbing the tree at G3.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-27, 02:44 PM
Ander:
From your high vantage point, you are able to clearly make out the Kobolds as they emerge from the patches of wood to the north of you. There are eight of the red-scaled, lizardlike creatures - two of whom wield enormous fang-shaped shields. From their squawking, babbling cries and flitting gestures you know that they have seen Einar, but do not know whether you yourself have been noticed.

Terrain:
01|T|T|T|T|T|T|T| | |D|D| |T|T|T|
02| | |T|T|T|T|T| | | |D|D| |T|T|
03| |T|T|T|T|T| |T| |K| |D|D| |T|
04| | | | | |T| | | | | | |D|K|T|
05| | |S| |K|K| | | |K| |D|D|K| |
06| | |S|S| | | |K| | | |K|D| | |
07| | | | | | | |T| | | |D|D| | |
08| | | |T|T|T|T| | | |D|D| | | |
09| |T|T|T|T|T|T| | | |D|D| | | |
10| |T|T|T|T|T|T|T| | |D|D| | | |
11|T|T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |D|D| | |B|B|
12| | | |T|T|G|T|T| | |D|D| | |B|
13| | | |T|T|T|A| | | |D|D| | | |
14| | |T|T|T| | | |C| |D|D| | | |
15| | | | | | | | | |E| |D|D| | |
16| | | | | | | | | | |D|D| | | |
17| | | | | | | | | | |D|D|S| | |
18| | | |B|B| | | | |D|D|S|S| | |
19| | | |W|B|B| | | |D|D| | | | |
20| | | | | | | | | |D|D| | | | |
21| | | | | | | | | |D|D| |S| |R|
22| | | | |B| | | | |R|R|R|R|R|R|
23| | | |B|B| |R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|
24| | | |R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R|R| | |
25|R|R|R|R|R|R|R| | | |S| | | | |
26|R|R|R|R| | | | | | | |S|S| | |
27|R|R| | | | | | | | | |S|S|S| |
28| | | | | |S|S| | | | | | | | |
29| | | | | |S|S| | | | | | | | |
30| |T| | | | |L| | | | | | | | |
32|T|T|T|T| | | | |S|S| | | | | |
31|T|T|T|T|T| | | | |S| | | | | |
33|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | | | | | | |
34|T|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B| | |
35|T|T|T|T|T|T| | | | | |B|B| | |

A = Ander
E = Einar
G = Garith
L = Luke
W = Kuan-Ti

K = Kobold
C = Corpse

Einar:

You are able to make out the approaching Kobolds from the flashes of dark red scale and armour that you catch amidst the undergrowth. Their high-pitched, rapid barks and squeals make you certain they have seen you. Unfortunately, you cannot get a clear estimate of their numbers due to the intervening trees and terrain. You can see four on the road ahead - one of whom carries a huge, sloping shield, shaped like a scale or fang.

Garith:
Almost immediately after you enter the wood you can make out the sound and sights of approaching creatures - undoubtably Kobolds. From the quick glances you catch through the layers of tree of undergrowth you understand they have seen Einar, but do not know if they have noticed you. Your vision is blocked heavily, preventing you from guessing at their numbers, but there seem to be quite a few.

Luke and Kuan-Ti:
You cannot see anything, but a serious of reptillian barks and hissing squawks let you know that your enemy is approaching.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-28, 05:05 PM
Garith looks grim as he sees the small dragon kin approaching near the trees. He lowers his gaze, causing his long black hair, braided with raven feathers, to fall over his face while he grips his holy symbol as if were his only salvation. After a quick prayer to his unyielding mistress he looks back up and gets closer to the tree, trying his hardest not to give himself away now that his prey are so close to the trap.

Jokes
2008-08-28, 10:05 PM
Einar

Noticing the little kobolds in the distance, Einar picks up the mirrored shield and starts flashing it randomly in their direction.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-30, 02:08 AM
A wave of small Kobolds charge towards Einar, slinging short, carven javelins from their backs as they go. Stopping just short of the Swordsage, each lets loose his their missile with a tongue-flickering bark of relish. Two fly over Einar's head, but the third hits home and strikes him on the shoulder.

Behind these creatures come the Kobolds hefting their rust-coloured, pointing shields, embedded in each a small blade at the tip. These knives, and the short, stabbing swords that they draw from their scabbards, glitter in the light as they approach. At the back of these two another one of the creatures flicks a sling towards the trees, but the flying stone passes harmlessly through leaf and underbrush.

The last of the Kobolds veer off sharply to the right, approaching by the far side of the woods.

Terrain:
03| |T|T|T|T|T| |T| | | |D|D| |T|
04| | | | | |T| | | | | | |D|D|T|
05| | |S| | | | | | | | |D|D| | |
06| | |S|S| | | | | | | |D|K| |
08|K| | |T|T|T|T| | |K| |D|K| | |
10|K|T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |K|K|D| | | |
11|T|T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |D|D| |K|B|B|
12| | | |T|T|G|T|T| | D|D| | |B|
15| | | | | | | | | |E| |D|D| | |
19| | | |W|B|B| | | |D|D| | | | |
30| |T| | | | |L| | | | | | | | |

Key:
A = Ander
E = Einar
G = Garith
L = Luke
W = Kuan-Ti

K = Kobold
C = Corpse

OOC:
I can't believe I hadn't mentioned this, but the trees are difficult terrain. If anyone wishes to change their moves, you may do so. This is what lack of sleep does to me, obviously. Check: Poorly Crafted Excuse: [roll0]

Einar takes 4 damage, as well.

Jokes
2008-08-30, 05:49 AM
Einar
As the Javelin hits his shoulder, Einar drops the shield. Grinning through bared teeth, he runs back to the low outcropping of rocks where Kuan-Ti is hiding.

"Hoo, that was fun." He wipes at the blood on his shoulder. "Bah, just a scratch." He seems almost disappointed. His expression changes as he prepares for the fight.

move to F20,
total defense (+2 to defences, taken into account below)
(HP: 26, AC: 21 F: 15 R: 16 W: 14)

fendrin
2008-08-30, 08:54 AM
Ander

The halfling remains as still as possible, thinking to himself.
Almost there... just a little bit farther... I hope nobody springs the trap before the kobolds are in position...

He attempts to determine whom the slinger was shooting at.

Are we using the initiative order from before? If not, here is a new check:
[roll0]

I'm guessing it's Perception check to try to see whom the slinger targeted, but let me know if I need to roll something else:
[roll1]

Also, I am not going to change Ander's position, I figured the trees were difficult terrain. That's why he's on the edge... difficult terrain only costs extra move to enter, not to leave.

I do want to specify that he's about 10-12' up, though. I'm going to be trying out the new falling damage rules... 1d10 damage per 10' - half of a trained acrobatics check. At most I will only take 4 damage...

OnnaOtaku
2008-08-30, 04:02 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan steps out from the bushes he was hiding in, holds out his flail, and charges one of the kobolds.

Kuan will move 6 squares and then charge for 6 more squares, thus he will be at I-11. He will attack the kobold diagonal from him at J-10. I had messed up my previous post. I rolled a 9 before for my charging attack but it will need to have a 5 added to it. So my new roll is 14. [roll0]

Eldmor
2008-08-30, 04:37 PM
Luke rounds the corner of the boulder he hid against and sees the kobolds. Filthy little things. I can't stand their sores on my sight.
Negrad!
Luke points his wand at a cluster of kobolds and a near-transparent orb of energy quickly erupts from the tip, slamming into a kobold about to engage Kuan-Ti in combat and exploding into the back of the one just charged.
Move: Move to I-29.
Free: Wand of Accuracy
Standard: Force Orb, Attack Reflex and Damage (K10 Primary: 1d20+8=21, 2d8+5=14; J10 Secondary: 1d20+8=18, 1d10+5=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1713489/)
Minor: Chuckle to self.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-30, 05:29 PM
Gairth remains in the trees, immediately believing that the shot was directed at him. He places himself closer to the tree he is near and focuses his energy on staying defensive.

Full Defense this round.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-30, 11:44 PM
While Kuan-Ti Lu's flail narrowly misses the evasive Kobold, the Orb of Force let loose by Luke crushes both the creatures into a mess of splintered bone and shredded flesh. The Kobold to the far right wails horribly and tosses another javelin at Kuan-Ti, stepping forward a little. Fear must have wasted the thing's arm, however, because the missile sinks into the ground barely 5 feet from the thrower.

Something small and brown flies haphazardly by Ander, and the creature that fired it cries out in lizard-tongue and then moves foward, probably to get a better shot.

None of you can now see the two creatures skulking past the wood, but they burst on Garith from the foilage around him, striking out at the surprised cleric with spear and javelin. Luckily, both blows fall short.

Terrain:
06| | |S|S| | | | | | | |D| | | |
08| | | |T|T|T|T| | |3| |D|3| | |
10| |T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |C|C|D| |2| |
11|T|T|T|1|T|T|T|T|W|D|D|1| |B|B|
12| | | |T|4|G|T|T| |D|D| | |B| |
15| | | | | | | | | | | |D|D| | |
19| | | | |B|B| | | |D|D| | | | |
20| | | | | |E| | | |D|D| | | | |
29| | | | | |S|S| |L| | | | | | |
30| |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Okay, Ander and Einar can take their turns. As a side note, I hate these Kobolds. They cannot hit. One of those ones in the woods should have hit, even with Garith's full defense. Attack rolls for this turn: 2, 6, 2, 1 - nice.

Jokes
2008-08-31, 12:04 AM
Einar

Einar barely catches his breath when Kuan-Ti leaps over the barricade. Grinning, he leaps back into the fray.

*Sigh* I was hoping to draw them in a bit closer, which is why I ran away...
Move action: L15
Standard: Charge to L12, attacking kobold at L11
-Basic attack: [roll0]
-Damage: [roll1]
Minor: Aegis of Shielding, Kobold at N10
(HP: 26, AC: 19 F: 13 R: 14 W: 12)

fendrin
2008-08-31, 08:54 AM
Ander

Of all the people to... I figured he's understand the value of a pincer attack... Not time to worry about that now, though. I need to take out that slinger.

Ander reaches forth his spirit and commands the raw energy of the feywild to strike at the eyes of the offending kobold.

He then drops from his perch hitting the ground in a tight and controlled roll, and using the momentum from his fall to spring forward in a swift sprint, pirouetting around the kobold that just failed to hit Kuan with a javelin.

Calling upon his deep reserves of energy, Ander sends a pair of daggers flying at the faces of the hopefully now blinded slinger and one of the two shield-bearing kobolds.

He then quietly crouches, hoping to hide his location from those he just blinded.

Ok, a lot to cover here...
Eyebite vs. slinger
[roll0] vs. will
[roll1], and Ander is invisible to the slinger until the start of my next turn.
Acrobatics check to reduce falling damage (by half the check)
[roll2]
Movement: East 4 squares to K13 then Northeast 2 squares to M11, this will provoke an opportunity attack from the kobold at L11, Ander has an AC of 22 vs. Opportunity Attacks.
Spend an Action Point to gain an additional standard action.
Blinding Barrage (close burst 3, will hit the slinger and the shield bearer at M8
vs. slinger
[roll3](+2 if eyebite hit) vs. AC
[roll4], and slinger is blind until the end of my next turn.
[roll5](if eyebite hit)
vs. shield-bearer
[roll6] vs. AC
[roll7], and shield bearer is blind until the end of my next turn.
Stealth check (at -5 for having moved, blinded characters have to make a perception check at -10 to identify what square he's in)
[roll8]

OK, critical hit against the shield bearer, so 12 damage. Two rounds, two crits... this streak can't last long. :smallamused:

on the other hand, I rolled a 1 on the athletics check.. still, that's 6 damage reduced, better than the average damage of the fall, so...

I just hope that the slinger's will is no higher than 12 and AC no higher than 15... so that both attacks hit :smallcool:

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-31, 11:06 AM
Ander's blast of fey energy hits the slinger and the Kobold wails, looking around desperately to see the origin of the attack. Moments later his life is ended by one of the halfling's flung daggers. It thunks into the creature's brain, and he dies without a sound.

The javelin-thrower takes an abortive swipe at Ander as he dashes past, but the swing goes wide and the Kobold is cut down an instant later by Einar.

The other Kobold hit by Ander's dagger squeals in pain as the knife takes him in the left eye, blinding him in his own blood and ocular fluid. He swings his long snout from side to side, vainly sniffing at the air.

The other shield-bearer looks round at the carnage, barks a short cry, then sets off fleeing down the road.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-31, 12:02 PM
Garith, seeing that he is now all alone, in the woods, facing off two Kobolds, one of which is already in melee with him, curses under his breath. He brings his scythe to bear against the Kobold nearest him, whispering a prayer to his Mistress, hoping that she will take this vile creature into her loving arms when he is done with it.

As his scythe comes crashing down Garith idly wonders if he can keep these two Kobolds occupied until his companions are finished with the rest.

Priest's Shield against Kobold 4 standing next to me.
[roll0] vs. AC.
[roll1] Damage if struck.

No move action.

Minor: Ready Scythe.

Eldmor
2008-08-31, 08:27 PM
Luke watches the javelin-thrower fall and Kuan-Ti engage the next kobold. He approaches slowly and aims his wand at one of the farther kobolds.
Ciga-sa! A faintly-blue bolt of energy flies from the wand and shoots toward the kobold. Surprisingly, it is not a straight path. The missile whizzes in a tight circle as it flies.
Move: Move to I-26.
Standard: Magic Missile J-8 (Attack Reflex, Force Damage) (1d20+5=17, 2d4+5=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1715377/)
Flavoring my own powers is always neat. :smallcool:

OnnaOtaku
2008-09-01, 12:15 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan moves to the kobold next to the bushes and attentively strikes the kobold, making sure he'll pay if he tries to withdraw from combat.

Move action: M-10
Standard action: Viper's Strike against Kobold #2
Attack: [roll0] vs AC
Damage: [roll1]

Myshlaevsky
2008-09-01, 10:58 AM
The combined assault of Kuan-Ti Lu and Luke finishes off the blinded, bleeding Kobold and his beaten body falls to the ground.

In the woods, one of the Kobolds circles around Garith - opening himself up to an attack, but forcing the cleric to be pincered between both creatures. While you dodge the sidling creatures spear, the javelin of the Kobold behind you scratches you across the back.

Garith takes 4 damage

DiabolicalFurby
2008-09-02, 03:34 PM
Garith takes the blow in stride, seemingly undisturbed by the wound or the fact that he is currently flanked. He grits his teeth and brings his scythe up into an aggressive stance. He focuses on the Kobold before him for the time being, watching its movements as it ducks and weaves, waiting for the attack it knows Garith will initiate. With a grunt of effort he swings his scythe around in a wide arc, hoping to catch the little dragon kin in the middle.

Priest's Shield Vs. Kobold 4 again.
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Myshlaevsky
2008-09-04, 12:47 AM
Garith's scythe slams into the Kobold's shoulder, and he pulls it out with a sticky sound, leaving a deep, bleeding gash that weighs on the creature's arm.

Terrain:
06| | |S|S| | | | | | | |D| | | |
08| | | |T|T|T|T| | | | |D|C| | |
10| |T|T|T|T|T|T|T| |C|C|D|W| | |
11|T|T|T|T|1|T|T|T| |D|D|E|A|B|B|
12| | | |T|T|G|4|T| |D|D| | |B| |
13| | | |T|T|T|T| | | |D|D| | | |
15| | | | | | | | | | | |D|D| | |
19| | | | |B|B| | | |D|D| | | | |
26|R|R|R|R| | | | |L| | |S|S| | |
30| |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Garith still gets an OA, I think. The last 3 Kobold has run off the map - let me know if you're going to follow him. Ander and Einar are acting before Garith hits with Priest's Shield.

Jokes
2008-09-04, 01:12 AM
Einar

As the Kobold runs off, Einar chases after him. "Ooh, this ought to be fun."

fendrin
2008-09-04, 10:37 AM
Ander

Ander runs after the after the kobold at top speed.

Run, not double move. Lowers defense but raises distance covered. AfB so I don;t know the particulars...

DiabolicalFurby
2008-09-04, 04:00 PM
Garith turns as one of the Kobolds leaves him and opening. He grunts from the effort of moving his fairly heavy scythe quickly tires to send the heavy black crashing into the kobold.

Opportunity Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

OnnaOtaku
2008-09-04, 04:21 PM
Kuan follows suit by running after the escaped kobolds. Kobolds, they never did like staying in a fight they knew they couldn't win. They are not totally brainless creatures.

Eldmor
2008-09-04, 05:25 PM
Luke spots the back of a kobold from the forest and it's attacking someone.
Someone in the trees got caught. Figures.
Ciga-sa! Another faint-blue bolt tightly whizzes through the air after he moves to a better angle.
Move: Move to L-20.
Standard:Magic Missile #4 (Attack Reflex, Damage) (1d20=12, 2d4+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1720159/)
I assume the kobold has Superior Cover thanks to the trees, so I subtracted 5 from my attack.

Myshlaevsky
2008-09-06, 09:55 AM
Ander, Einar and Kuan-Ti set off after the fleeing Kobold as it screams terror in shrill octaves you never knew existed. The thing bolts straight down the road, running with its legs far apart, kicking off clods of earth with the hard impact of its lizardlike claws on the ground. It appears to be weeping - small droplets of water fly from its shrieking face.

Assuming you all run and always move forward one square, that puts Einar and Ander 35 squares behind it and Kuan-Ti 34. It's probably going to be short lived, thanks to Ander's daggers. Once Garith has acted in this turn I'll post the actions of the Kobolds in the woods.

There's a shriek from Garith as one of the Kobolds fighting him impales him through the chest with a spear. The scream is wet and sickly, a gasping, rattling sound. Everyone hears this.

fendrin
2008-09-11, 08:50 PM
Ander

Ander chases after the fleeing kobold, wishing he had a weapon with a longer range than his shuriken.

Yup, shuriken have a max range of 12 squares, so it will be a while until the kobold is in range...

Jokes
2008-09-11, 08:54 PM
Einar

As the scream permeates the air, Einar stops chasing the kobold. "Damn it, Garith..."

He runs back toward the scream.

OnnaOtaku
2008-09-11, 10:22 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan hears Garith's pained screams. Garith, oh no! Something must have happened. Maybe I should....No! I cannot let my feelings cloud my judgment. I know Garith well enough to know that he's the kind of man that would want us go on and carry on the fight in his stead. Kord, give me strength. Give me the strength to fight and win, for Garith's sake. Forgive me, my comrade. Kuan, with a heart as heavy as his stone facade, keeps running with flail in hand. "In the name of Kord, I WILL NOT FAIL!"

Kuan will take a double move action which should move him up to 22 squares away if my math is right.

Myshlaevsky
2008-09-15, 04:31 PM
As Kuan-Ti and fendrin both surge after the fleeing Kobold, Einar turns back and comes to the edge of the woods. He can vaguely make out the shapes of fighting figures within.

Luke's missile explodes amongst the trees, but with such a bad few of the target no damage is done.

The Kobold running from the rogue and the warlord continues to sob, and thin trickle of urine streaks down his leg, making you wrinkle your nose at the acerbic smell as you chase him.

OnnaOtaku
2008-09-15, 05:12 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan continues to run after the kobold. The mixture of the tears and urine from the kobold starts to irritate Kuan. Who decided to hire these cowardly creatures? How could these things harm Garith when they are so easy to scare?

Eldmor
2008-09-19, 08:48 PM
Luke moves closer to Einar as he approaches and says under his breath: Ciga-sa. He waits with eyes on the forest until a kobold appears and gives a clear shot.
Readied [roll0] [roll1]
Sorry about the lateness of my post, was just mentally expecting something else.

Jokes
2008-09-19, 09:50 PM
Einar

Einar steps through the trees, coming up behind one of the kobolds, hoping to catch it off guard.

I take it I'm somewhere near I10-12?
Move: H12
Standard: Booming Blade
attack: [roll0] vs AC (not adjusted for concealment, flanking etc, I figure they cancel each other out)
damage: [roll1]

Jokes
2008-10-01, 08:55 AM
DM

*Kshh* This is your new DM speaking, lets get this encounter over with since I don't know enough about it, eh. If I make any mistakes it's obviously because I seriously don't know what's going on. :smalltongue:

For those in the trees-

Before Einar has a chance to strike at the kobolds, the two begin skewering Garith. Einar hits his mark causing one of the kobolds to shriek, blood dripping from it's side. Luke's magic is lost in the maze of trees.

Kobold 4- [roll0] *Crit, Pincushion takes 8 damage*
-damage[roll1]
Kobold 1 [roll]1d20+4[roll] *(rolled a 6, miss)*
-4 damage

For those chasing the kobold-

The little kobold runs it's little feet off. He seems to be ducking and weaving erratically and you seem to be gaining ground on it. As it ducks under a log it lets out a loud yell. "ATTACK NOW, MY BROTHERS!"

Jokes
2008-10-01, 09:37 AM
Garith (I suppose I have to play him as well :smalltongue:)

As the spear lunges into Garith's leg, he brings his scythe around, aiming for the little brutes head, but the blow falls high as the kobold ducks under the attack.

Let's see if my rolls are better than DF's...
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

And it's Luke's turn in the trees, and Kuan-ti and Ander on the run.

Eldmor
2008-10-01, 10:52 AM
Luke hears the shrill voice of the kobold in the distance. Damns. He looks into the wood then in the distance where the kobold fled. Luke runs over to assist, not looking back.
Double move toward other PCs.

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-01, 11:21 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan hears the kobold scream. "Oh great, it seems we're going to have more of the accursed creatures to deal with." He keeps running hoping he can finally end the lives of these infinitely annoying kobolds.

fendrin
2008-10-01, 01:14 PM
Ander

If Ander weren't running he would shrug as he responds to Kuan.
"Kobolds come, kobolds die. Just remember, you are the anvil and I am the hammer. Together we can crush whatever comes our way."

Jokes
2008-10-01, 03:45 PM
Despite what the kobold said, no Kobolds appear. Distraught that none of the big people fell for his bluff, the little kobold makes a few quick darts under logs and around trees.

Welcome to the skill challenge :smallbiggrin:
Acrobatics checks first.
[roll0]

Don't think of this as me wanting to let the kobold get away, I'm just stalling for time until the new characters are ready :smalltongue:

fendrin
2008-10-01, 04:44 PM
Ander

The spry halfling deftly follows the Kobold.

[roll0]

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-01, 04:58 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

I'm getting too old for this, thinks Kuan while watching his more flexible friend follow the tricky kobold. Kuan is rough and chiseled like stone, but he's inflexible like a stone too. Here goes nothing. He attempts to follow as best as he is able to.

[roll0]

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-01, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the double post, I mislabeled. Meant to say Acrobatics. Holy crap he didn't fall like a rock. :smalltongue:

Eldmor
2008-10-01, 09:23 PM
I'm not cut out for this stuff... Luke chases after the kobold while heaving his lungs for gasps of air. Despite his thin and lithe frame, he is terribly out of shape.
[roll0]

Jokes
2008-10-01, 11:35 PM
The kobold tries to dart under a branch, but misjudges and it cleans him up. Quickly getting back to his feet he attempts to sprint as fast as he can.

You gain some ground on the little bugger, except for Luke, who is still straggling behind.
Athletics: [roll0]

fendrin
2008-10-02, 07:11 AM
Ander

Ander pushes himself hard to keep up with the adrenaline-fueled kobold.
It got a 19! That'll be hard to beat.
[roll0] :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
I swear, reverse psychology sometimes works on the board roller :smalltongue:

Eldmor
2008-10-02, 08:39 AM
Luke's energy peters out and he half lays half collapses onto the ground. Some Star's Tears would really hit the spot now....
Luke forfeits all further turns for the skill challenge, this isn't his game at all. :smalltongue:
Another fluff note! Star's Tears is spring water exposed to feyish magic. Might as well be a medieval energy drink.

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-02, 09:33 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan is surprised at how well he is keeping up. He continues onward, hoping his luck will last.

d20+7

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-02, 09:48 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan continues onward.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was Athletics. I'm prone to misreading. I may have a double post for a while, my first post didn't go away immediately. Please disregard last post. [roll0]

Jokes
2008-10-02, 09:56 PM
The kobold surges forward, moving faster than you thought any kobold could. He makes a quick glance behind him, only to see the halfling easily gaining ground. Shrieking out in terror, he runs through the pain.

Ander gains ground, Kuan is just a little behind Ander. I'd say one more success and you have him.
[roll0]
Beat that and the kobold collapses on the ground.

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-02, 10:02 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"Just a little longer and we'll have him!" Kuan yells to Ander.

[roll0]

fendrin
2008-10-03, 08:05 AM
Ander

Struggling to push onward through the burning pain in his legs and lungs, Ander does not respond to Kuan. Quick bursts of action are his forte, not extended exertion.

[roll0]

EDIT: Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Jokes
2008-10-03, 09:44 AM
The little kobold can barely run another step, it makes a glance behind it and sees the two of you still behind it. The kobold's speed slows to a halt. It is obviously very tired and it leans it's back against a tree, resigned to his fate. Through sobs and deep breaths it pleads for life. "Why big man and little man want kill me? Why they kill my friends? Please, I did not hurt you, why kill poor me?"

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-04, 05:01 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan's composure was dangerously close to cracking. "Listen you, one of my comrades may be dead or dying. Why did you kobolds decide to attack us?" Kuan's voice was seething with anger and the threat of bodily harm. He gripped his flail so tightly, it wouldn't be surprising if his hand was bleeding.

Jokes, pretty please tell me that I don't have to make some form of roll involving charisma to get information out of this kobold. :smalleek: I will if I must, but I have an astounding -1 in all Charisma based skills. :smalltongue:

Jokes
2008-10-04, 10:59 PM
"Why attack you? We saw purple man standing over the body of Yok-tik. Why did you kill him?"

You guys are soo mean :smalltongue:

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-05, 11:31 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan calmed down when hearing this. He thinks back and then says, "Ander, as I recall, your weapon ended Yok-tik's life. However, it was not without reason. Why was Yok-tik hiding in a bush with a signaling shield in hand? His actions seemed pretty suspicious for an innocent."

Jokes
2008-10-05, 12:00 PM
"Goblin tell us to. He say 'Go hide in bushes, threaten the merchants that use road.' We get pretty things from merchants." The little kobold looks at Ander with eyes full of scorn. "Merchants mostly run away, not chase us."

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-05, 12:12 PM
"Didn't this goblin tell you what these merchants would look like? Merchants don't tend to have weapons on hand. We are not merchants."

Jokes
2008-10-05, 12:37 PM
"Hmm, may be why Yok-tik didn't signal us... Goblin not tell us not to attack armed travellers, but we usually avoids."

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-05, 12:44 PM
Kuan turns to Ander and whispers, What should we do with him? Maybe this goblin is someone we should know about.

fendrin
2008-10-07, 09:28 AM
Ander

Ander draws forth a dagger. Addressing the kobold, Ander says,
"This is the blade that killed Yik-tok. You have a choice. Tell us everything you know about this goblin, or die by the same blade. Leave nothing out."

Jokes
2008-10-08, 03:58 PM
The kobold moves to back away from the knife, but his back is already pressed hard against the tree. "If I tells, I live?" He glances around furtively. "Big Goblin come to lair and say 'big people keep walking over us, goblin alone can't stand up, but goblin and kobold can.' Most kobold listen, they sick of big people killing us. So big Goblin called "warlord" and he tells us how to fights. But kobolds not fighters, but we scary, so warlord tell us to attack merchants and stop supplies getting to big people."

Jokes
2008-10-09, 02:36 AM
For the new guys

Several hours ago...

The three of you have been tasked with finding a scholar, Douven Staul, who came to Winterhaven several weeks ago but has not been heard from since. You know that his favourite field of research is ruins, and that he came to Winterhaven on such a pursuit. You made your way to the town without hindrance (the kobolds must have avoided you) and now stand at the Outer Gates.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Maps/kots/Winterhaven.gif
1. Outer Gate and Walls
2. Wrafton’s Inn
3. Market Square
4. Stables
5. Smithy
6. Valthrun’s Tower
7. Bairwin’s Grand Shoppe
8. Warrior Guild
9. Tenements
10. Temple
11. Inner Gate
12. Winterhaven Siege Supplies
13. Winterhaven Barrack
14. Manor House

Just to get the ball moving.

Awesomologist
2008-10-09, 09:23 AM
Razz Denzik, Dragonborn Barbarian

"... and so I told the tiefling, 'If I see you around here again I'll be taking those horns of yours as trophies!' Ha! I swear he wet himself as he ran off!" Razz's story comes to an end as his small party approaches the walls of Winterhaven. For the most part Razz enjoys the company of his new companions, the Halfling Paladin and the Genasi Cleric. Razz tried to keep his boastful stories short, but the excitement of seeing more of the world always brings out tales that get large and grander over time.
Looking up to the gate he hollers in his barreling deep voice, "Ahoy! We are three travelers on the search for Douven Staul who is said to have come here some weeks ago, and his wife misses him. Ha! We seek room and information should either be available!"

fendrin
2008-10-09, 10:36 AM
Ander

Casually passing the dagger to his left hand and using it to pick dirt out from under the fingernails of his right hand, Ander raises an eyebrow.

"That's it? Tell me names. Tell me where the 'big goblin' was from. Who was this 'warlord'?"

Jokes
2008-10-09, 09:01 PM
Kobold

"Big goblin is Warlord, is what we call him. His goblins call him something different. Don't know his real name, but his goblins call him Irontooth. He comes from Keep, but he stays with kobolds in Lair," The kobold spins around about to point in a certain direction, but stops, "um, me not sure where I am..."

Jokes
2008-10-09, 09:19 PM
Winterhaven

The portly guard by the gate raises an eyebrow at the barbarian. "What what? Hrrm, bloody adventurers I assume." He wipes a layer of sweat from his forehead. "It's too hot for all this hollerin', if you want rooms, get ye off to Wrafton's, she'll set you up." He points to the building just behind him.

Awesomologist
2008-10-11, 11:26 AM
Just waiting for Stupnick or Beloblog to post. Otherwise Razz will head to the inn.

Belobog
2008-10-12, 01:24 AM
Once again, sorry. Guess I missed the hint. :smallredface:

Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah gives a short, practiced bow to the guard. "Forgive us. We have spent a long time on the open road, and the stories were good entertainment, but it appears we have forgotten the strength of our voices. We shall conduct our business elsewhere." The paladin then turns back to his allies, "Beside that, it would be the best place to start our search." Still, he pauses, waiting to see if they had other plans.

stupnick
2008-10-12, 01:48 AM
Shylain

Listening to the barbarians stories, letting him go on and on as he normally does, Shylain tries to keep himself looking down and away from the guards. Knowing his appearance can sometimes startle towns people. Readjusting his cloak over his head he simply states, Well, off to the Inn...

With that he begins to head into the town, looking for what would be the building.

Jokes
2008-10-12, 02:03 AM
Wrafton's Inn

The inn is full of people trying to escape the summer heat. An old farmer sits in one corner, a man in regal clothes sits with him, the pair are engaged in a lively conversation about the weather. An elf sits in another corner, her bow resting against the table. One of the central tables is occupied by a gnome and two burly looking men.

The woman behind the bar, presumably Wrafton, notices you enter and pulls some mugs from under the counter, ready for your order.

Awesomologist
2008-10-12, 09:02 PM

Nodding at Elijah, Razz shuts his mouth. He's not used to taking orders but the little knight just seemed like a natural leader to Razz. Why else would someone so small go through all the effort? The dragonborn curses himself for being so loud, the civilized ones don't like it.
Razz enters the room, mindful of his size, and will move to a section that would be more comfortable for him to sit. Once comfortable he visibly relaxes as he spreads his arms for a few stretches and orders some food and ale. He'll speak when spoken to but otherwise will defer all questions to the halfling.

Belobog
2008-10-13, 01:20 AM
Did we get a description of Douven?

Elijah, Halfling paladin

The halfling smiles, noting the proprietor preparing for them, and walks over whiles his companions grab the group a table. "Good day, ma'am. Would you happen to have any vacant rooms available? My friends and I have just come in from the road, and we are planning to remain in town for a few days, at least."

Jokes
2008-10-13, 02:23 AM
Wraftons Inn

Savana Wrafton smiles grimly at the paladin. "Of course, we have rooms a plenty," she shakes her head sadly, "normally this time of year we have all sorts of merchants and such coming through, but with the heatwave and the bandit raids, we've had fewer than ever. Rooms are five silver pieces a night. Any idea how long you'll be in town for?"

Douvan's wife gave a decent description, middle-aged human, tall, black hair greying at the temples. He dresses, often to his wife's dismay, as an adventurer but rarely carries weapons.

Belobog
2008-10-13, 04:11 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

"No, but I would not think more than a couple of days," Elijah says, fishing out two gold pieces and laying them on the counter. "We are here searching for a lost person, though, so we..." Before the paladin can finish his statement, he runs the innkeeper's comment through his mind again, and his brow furrows with concern. "Did you say 'bandit raids'?"

Jokes
2008-10-13, 10:15 PM
Wrafton's Inn

"Yeah, kobolds probably, little buggers keep getting more daring. They've been attacking merchants along the Kings Road. Lord Padraig might know more about them," she nods towards the noble sitting in the corner, "he's been trying to get the militia to clear them out for months now." She takes the coins and makes a mark in a book on the counter. "And your names are?"

Belobog
2008-10-14, 01:05 AM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah nods, though he still seems disturbed at the thought of organized assault on the sleepy hamlet. "I am Elijah, and my companions are Razz and Shylain." Noting the guest book, his mind recalls why they came, and he clears his throat. "I hope you do not mind if I ask, but did a Douven Staul stay here some time ago?"

Jokes
2008-10-14, 01:32 AM
Wrafton's Inn

"Douven? Sure he was here just a couple of days ago." She looks at the ledger and frowns. "He didn't sign out though. I think he had some business with Eilian, the old guy in the back corner talking to Lord Padraig."

The gnome at the centre table stands up, lauging merrily at his comrades. "I'll see you gents later." Whistling some gnomish tune, he signals to Salvana. "Lex has my tab. Right Lex?"

"Right." Lex grabs the gnomes half drunken ale and drinks the remains in one long gulp. The gnome laughs and begins whistling again, making his way into the streets.

After the gnome leaves, Lex and his companion head over to the bar, ready to pay their bill. Lex looks down at Elijah, "I 'eard you askin' about ol' Douven, bugger went missin' a few days ago, di'n't 'e?" He regards your weapons.
"What, you want some money out of 'im or somfin'?"

If people have a hard time understanding certain NPC's let me know and I'll start to provide translations.

Belobog
2008-10-14, 01:50 AM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

The paladin, surprised that the larger man took notice of him, give a curt shake of his head. "No, nothing of the sort. We are here on behalf of his family, who became worried when they received no word from him. It appears he has a tendency towards acting like an adventurer, without the needed tools," he comments, motioning to his sword, before continuing the conversation. "So he was here until recently? Did you speak to him during his stay?"

I kind of feel like I'm stepping on other people's toes here, being the de facto face, so if you guys wants to join in, don't feel like you have to hold back and let me do the talking.

Jokes
2008-10-14, 02:09 AM
Wrafton's Inn

Lex smiles. "You could say that." The grabs at the halflings head, slamming it into the counter. His buddy behind him chuckles, then hands Lex his Halberd.

Roll initiative.

[roll0] (the little guy, the green circle)
[roll1] (the big guy, the yellow circle)

[roll2]vs AC
[roll3]

Map:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Maps/kots/Wraftons-1.gif
Map is huge, I forgot to resize it cos I was in a bit of a rush. I didn't expect to need it today. PC's are stars, NPC are circles, go by the colour of your text if you can't work out who's who.

Belobog
2008-10-14, 03:31 AM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah's head bounces off the counter, flecks of blood staining the counter from his now broken nose. The halfling grimaces when he sets it with his thumb, a small crack sounding that felt louder to him, and his voice is stilted from the blood filling his nose. "Razz, make sure our friends do not try to leave early." Elijah lifts his head to his assailant, his eyes taking on an eerie light that almost dares him to strike another, before he draws his sword. "And make sure they keep their tongues." He then whips the flat of the blade into the brawler's knee.

Initiative: [roll0]

Divine Challenge on Lex (minor), draw Scimitar (move, I think), hit Lex with Enfeebling Strike.

Attack Roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

fendrin
2008-10-14, 08:21 AM
Ander

The halfling shrugs.
"You've told us all you can, then."
It is a statement, not a question.
He holds up the dagger in his hand.
"As I told you, you will not die by this blade."

While the kobold's eyes are on the dagger in his left hand, he reaches back with his right hand and thumbs the release on the sword he keeps strapped to his back. He swings the sword, a mere foot and a half of razor sharp steel, in a glittering arc at the kobold's exposed throat.

What? We couldn't just let him go, could we?

Sly Flourish w/ shortsword
[roll0] +2 if Combat Advantage
[roll1]
[roll2] if Combat Advantage

Awesomologist
2008-10-14, 08:51 AM

Enjoying his drink with Shaylain the disturbance behind him causes Razz to leap up from his chair. Seeing the halfling face down on the bar Razz give out a low roar. Elisiah's words cause an eager smile to cross Razz's face as he draws his large axe and points at the two assaialants, "You've picked on the wrong halfling fools..." Razz charges the one named lex.

[roll0]

Move Action: Stand up
Minor Action: Draw axe
Standard Action: Charge with Howling Strike
1d20+7
1d12+1d6+4

If these are minions or very low health, Razz will pull his hit (perhaps smacking with the flat of the axe blade) and not kill anyone outright... unless it can't be helped...

Awesomologist
2008-10-14, 08:56 AM
[roll0]
1d12+1d6+4

Lets try this again...

fendrin
2008-10-14, 08:59 AM
[roll0]
1d12+1d6+4

Lets try this again...

Unfortunately you cannot roll multiple sizes of dice in the same roll. You have to break it up.

Awesomologist
2008-10-14, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately you cannot roll multiple sizes of dice in the same roll. You have to break it up.

Yeah see that now...
Damage [roll0]+[roll1]+4

Jokes
2008-10-14, 09:35 AM
Kobold

The blade cuts through the kobold throat and he holds a scaly claw to it, trying to stop the bleeding. He tries to speak through the blood but all that comes out is a whimper and a "splug" as the kobold drops dead.

[roll0] XP each for you guys.

fendrin
2008-10-14, 09:42 AM
Ander

He sheathes the dagger, then pulls a scrap of cloth from a pocket and cleans his sword before sheathing it.
He lowers his face mask and cowl, revealing his dusky skin glistening with sweat.
"Let's go tell the others about this Irontooth."

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-14, 09:47 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan nods. "Do you think that Garith is still alive?"

fendrin
2008-10-14, 09:54 AM
Ander

"I did not see his wound. Speculation would be pointless, we will find out soon enough."

stupnick
2008-10-14, 10:43 AM
Shylain

Watching what is happening with Elijah, he just shakes his head. Standing out of his chair, the Genasi draws down his hood exposing his eye's which flicker with lightning. Drawing out his spear, he then points it at one of the ruffians causing trouble. Calling down a short prayer to Talos, Lightning errupts from Shylains fingers, flows down the shaft of the spear and arcs into the Lex.

Initiative
[roll0]

Minor - Draw Spear
Move - Stand Up
Standard - Lance of Faith (with some descripted fluff)
[roll1] vs Reflex
[roll2], and Razz recieves a +2 bonus to attack, for your next attack roll on Lex.

Eldmor
2008-10-14, 10:45 AM
Luke, barely walking, comes to Ander and Kuan with a somewhat grim look on his face. I didn't check his health. He was skewered; no need to elaborate. He then opens a hand with a pouch containing the valuables of the kobolds.
Luke went and found any valuables while he was recovering from his poor showing of athleticism. He also didn't pick up any weapons or armor that they used, simply filthy! :smalltongue:

Jokes
2008-10-14, 11:07 AM
Wrafton's Inn

As Razz charges and slices his axe toward him, Lex staggers back, the blade missing him my inches. Just as he regains his footing, a ray of light shoots past his head.

The paladin's scimitar slams into Lex's knee, making him howl. "You little... Obe, don't just stand there!"

Obe grins, and draws his battleaxe, unleashing a blow against Razz.

Elijah hits, the rest miss. That was a round of "free hits," Lex and Obe don't attack until round 2. Mainly cos Lex got a free hit in to start with.

[roll0] vs Razz's AC
[roll1]

And a new map-
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Maps/kots/Wraftons-2.gif

Initiative-
Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah -3

Jokes
2008-10-14, 11:16 AM
Kobolds

Einar steps up to the others, the lifeless body of Garith over his shoulder. He shakes his head. "We had better get to town, give the man the respect he deserves."

Einar, you remember him, right? He'll disband from the group when they reach Winterhaven.

And you find 35sp on the kobolds. The only weapons they have are shortswords, spears and javelins, if anyone is interested in taking any.

Awesomologist
2008-10-14, 11:37 AM
HP: 21/31 AC: 14 Fort: 16 Ref: 11 Will: 12

Feeling the stinging blow of the axe Razz roars again, this time belching fire on the two assailants. He then swings his axe in a wide at both opponents...

Minor Action: Dragon Breath
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] vs Ref
[roll2]

Standard Action: Great Cleave
[roll3] vs AC
[roll4] vs AC
[roll5]

Jokes
2008-10-14, 12:02 PM
Wrafton's Inn

As the dragonborn unleashes it's fiery breath, Obe ducks away, but the fire catches Lex off guard, searing his skin. He holds his hands to his face, screaming, and he bends over in pain, just as the mighty axe swings above his head. Obe brings his axe up in time to halt the swing, grinning wildly.

Great cleave managed to miss them both...

stupnick
2008-10-14, 12:12 PM
Shylain
26/26 hp
AC 16
F/R/W 14/12/15

Deciding to enter the fray Shylain steps forward towards the assailants.

Moving to E5

Righteous Brand on yellow circle
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] and Razz get's a +3 bonus to hit him (seems you can use it)

Jokes
2008-10-14, 12:33 PM
Wrafton's Inn

Too focused on the barbarian, Obe doesn't notice Shylain moves until the spear thrusts into his thigh.

Lex recovers from the firey breath and gives the little paladin an evil stare. He swings his halberd in a vicious arc, aiming for the halfling.

[roll0] vs Elijah's AC
On hit, [roll1] and knocked prone.

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

Belobog
2008-10-14, 01:49 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah falters at the blow, a bloody gash carved into his shoulder while he lands flat on his back. The halfling levels a defiant glare to Lex, then mutters a prayer under his breath, clasping his holy symbol. The bleeding stops, and the halfling smiles, pushing himself up and back into the fight. Though he doesn't strike, the eerie light in his gaze drifts to Obe, waiting for the big man to lash out at his allies once more.

Second Wind (Recover 6 HP, gain +2 to Defenses): Standard
Stand from Prone (Does not provoke an AoO): Move
Divine Challenge (Obe, -2 to attacks that don't include Elijah, takes the white flames of holy justice if he makes an attack and with them, 9 damage): Minor

HP: 15/25
Defenses: AC 22|Fort 15|Ref 16|Will 17

Jokes
2008-10-14, 06:59 PM
Wrafton's Inn

In spite of being partially surrounded, Obe is still ginning like a madman as he heaves his axe at Razz.

[roll0] vs Razz's AC
[roll1] OOh, that's a crit, so he does an extra 12 damage. 19 Damage.

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

Awesomologist
2008-10-14, 07:31 PM
HP: 2/31 (Bloodied) AC: 14 Fort: 16 Ref: 11 Will: 12

The blow from Obe's axe sliced deep into Razz. Rage gleams in the dragonborn's eyes as he ruthlessly brings his axe up to strike back.

Oh man... If I'm going out this early I'm going out in style...
Standard Action:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Rage of the Bloodhunt. Until the rage ends, I gain a +3 bonus to melee damage rolls if either myself or my target is bloodied.

Edit: Booya...

Jokes
2008-10-14, 07:46 PM
Wrafton's Inn

The beserker howls in rage and slams his axe right back at Razz.

:smalleek: You knocked him down to exactly his bloodied value. And he has an attack for when he gets bloodied...

[roll0] vs Razz's AC
[roll1] + [roll2]

Oh **** I think I just killed you :smalleek:

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

stupnick
2008-10-14, 08:45 PM
Shylain

((hrm... you just pwnd him in 1 round..LOL, i didn't even get a chance to heal...

Remember Obe took 9 points of damage for each attack on Razz... and also had a -2 penalty to attack, didn't matter with those rolls tho..))

Shylain seeing her friend go down, calls upon the power of Talos to heal there wounds to deal more devastation.

Beacon of Hope
[roll0]
[roll1]
the attacks that hit weaken the target

All allies in burst gain 8 hp.
If Razz is still alive he will receive a healing word for [roll2] + his surge value

i will then move around the table to be in d8, around the table, avoiding OA's

if razz did not get the healing word...Minor Action - Promise of Storms, deal an extra 1d8 when using lightning/thunder powers.

Action Point
Wrathful Thunder on Lex
[roll3] vs AC (3str, 2ca)
[roll4] + [roll5] and he is dazed (1d8 only if i used promise of storms)

Jokes
2008-10-14, 09:07 PM
Wrafton's Inn

Obe and Lex are overcome by a sudden explosion of light. Blinded, they don't see the cleric move around the table as he calls on Talos' power. The lighting strikes Lex true in the back and he spins around, lashing at the cleric.

Nice round. Thanks for reminding me about Divine Challenge, I thought it was against Lex. Oh, and Lex is bloodied now as well.

[roll0] vs Shylain's AC
[roll1] (half of that)

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

Belobog
2008-10-14, 09:47 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

[color=royalblue]Elijah can only watch when the dragonborn slams against the floor, a gaping wound dug into his chest. The little paladin stares at the sight, all the blood and the stillness, and it leaves its mark on his face, now a mask of cold anger. Elijah's sword glows with light before he runs it across Lex's stomach, and the light jumps to Shylain, laying on her like a suit of armor. The halfling then steps back, grasping the symbol at his neck and glowering at Obe. "I think your sun's set, friend...and you won't see it rise again." A harsh light falls on Obe from above, cuts and slices he had dealt long ago coming back to mark his body...

Attack Lex with Shielding Smite, Divine Challenge Lex, shift back a space, ACTION POINT, and attack Obe with On Pain of Death.

Shielding Smite (Lex): [roll0] vs AC
If Smite hits, Shylain gains a +3 bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.

On Pain of Death (Obe): [roll2] versus Will
Damage: [roll3]
If it hits, Obe takes 1d8 damage on every attack he makes [saving throw negates]. If it misses, he takes half damage, and takes 1d4 damage on every attack [save ends].

Jokes
2008-10-14, 09:56 PM
Wrafton's Inn

As Elijah slices his sword, Lex regains enough composure to parry the scimitar with the shaft of his halberd. The paladins words are numb in Obe's ears, the bright light engulfs him, searing his eyes and tearing his flesh. Then blackness.

His lifeless body slumps to the floor.

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

stupnick
2008-10-15, 10:42 AM
Shylain
23/26 hp
AC 16
F/R/W 14/12/15

Watching Obe slump to the floor, Shylain smiles and strikes out against the only one still up.

Striking at Lex with Righteous Brand
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] and Elijah get's +3 bonus to next attack roll against him

woot two crits on him in a row : )

Jokes
2008-10-15, 03:50 PM
Wrafton's Inn

Seeing his buddy fall to the floor, Lex lets out am anguished scream and swings his halberd at Shylain.

[roll0] vs Shylains AC
[roll1]
and takes 9 radiant damage from divine challenge.

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

Belobog
2008-10-15, 10:43 PM
[b]Elijah, Halfling Paladin[/color]

Elijah levels the harsh light in his eyes to the remaining criminal, and for a moment, the thought of offering surrender to Lex stops him. The halfling looks down at the bloody corpse next to him, and his grip on his weapon tightens, the knight sliding in to drive the scimitar into his chest...and stops. "Surrender," Elijah demands, the blade a few inches from the criminal's chest, "And you will be given the courtesy of dealing with a court."

Divine Challenge Lex, Shift adjacent to Lex, Ready Action to use Holy Strike if Lex refuses to give up.

Jokes
2008-10-15, 11:03 PM
Wrafton's Inn

Lex spits in your face.

Belobog
2008-10-15, 11:12 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

The blade springs back and out, sweeping across the murderer's stomach.

Holy Strike (Lex): [roll0] vs AC

Jokes
2008-10-15, 11:45 PM
Wrafton's Inn

The spit in your eye cuts your depth perception, and the blade swings wide of the mark.

Obe - 16
Razz - 14
Shylan - 13
Lex - 8
Elijah - 3

stupnick
2008-10-16, 12:01 AM
Shylain
23/26 hp
AC 16
F/R/W 14/12/15

Taking another strike at Lex, Hoping that this would be the last one he would need to make.

Striking at Lex with Righteous Brand
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] and Elijah get's +3 bonus to next attack roll against him

with Elijah's attack, did he include the +2 flank bonus and the +3 bonuse from righteous brand... not sure if the +5 bonus would help....

Belobog
2008-10-16, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't...the first because I wasn't aware we were flanking, and the second because 'against' makes it sound like it applies to an attack targeting me, and I factored that to Defense. Still, a 14 versus Ac probably wouldn't hit...

Jokes
2008-10-16, 12:38 AM
Wrafton's Inn

Shylain's spear cracks through Lex's armour piercing his heart. His eyes go wide for a moment, then slowly his eyelids drop and his body falls heavily to the floor.

Salvana rises from behind the counter, a look of shock on her face. She looks over at Lord Padraig, who seemed to be in midstride, ready to intervene when the battle ended. "Padraig, call the..."

She is interrupted by the portly gate guard stepping into the inn. "I head noises, what's..." He looks at the bodies on the ground, then at Padraig.

"Go get the captain, and get someone to find Valthrun." Padraig orders the guard. The guard nods and waddles out and Lord Padraig approaches you. "Bit of a mess you got into on your first day in Winterhaven. Adventurers I assume? Lord Padraig," He introduces himself. He nods at the corpse of the barbarian. "Your friend fought well, if only briefly. We've had that pair come to town several times, but they never made any trouble."

"No trouble..." Salvana echoes, entranced by the corpses.

"Any idea why they attacked you?"

You have to convince Padraig to raise Razz, the better you do, the cheaper it will end up being. Basically look around the inn and talk to people to get clues.

Also, I'll be changing the Raise Dead rule so that the -1 lasts until 1 milestone per tier (non-consecutive). Don't worry I will give you plenty of chances to reach a milestone :smallamused:

Belobog
2008-10-16, 02:49 AM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah returns the greeting with a bow, stiff and formal in the presence of nobility. "A pleasure to meet you, Lord Padraig...though, I would have wished for better circumstances." The halfling's brown eyes land on Razz when the lord speaks of him, a slight nod and a numb "Yes, he did," being the only reply.

The little knight then sheathes his blade, motioning to himself and his remaining compatriot. "I am Elijah, and my friend is named Shylain. The only clue we have so far is what happened before they appeared...I was speaking to - Mrs. Wrafton, I assume? - about a man we had been employed to find and perhaps rescue, when these two men came up and questioned me about what I was doing. I answered, and this was the result. Seems a rescue will be required, after all..." Elijah shakes his head while he looks upon the bodies once more, lingering on the body of Razz. He then looks up to the innkeeper. "I apologize for this, ma'am. We should have found a better way to end this than in...blood. Is there any way we can make restitution to you?"

Jokes
2008-10-16, 02:57 AM
Wrafton's Inn

"Miss Wrafton. And you can start by paying their tab." She now seems quite upset that there are three bodies bleeding out on her floor. "3 gold pieces should cover it."

Padraig adds. "I'll have my men clean up this mess."

stupnick
2008-10-16, 12:09 PM
Shylain

Restrapping his spear onto his back and looking around the room, Shylain nods to the lord when he approaches. It would seem that they had a problem with us trying to rescue and find Douven. I believe they may have had something invested in his disappearance.

Jokes
2008-10-17, 07:41 PM
Wrafton's Inn

Salvana pours herself a stiff drink. "He has only been gone a week, I never thought much of it."

Passive insight result: There was something odd about Obe during the fight.
Roll two perception checks each, one for Lex and one for Obe if you want to search them.
Also, the three of you get 100XP

Winterhaven Group One

The four of you, plus one corpse, reach the outer gate at sunset. The lanky guard sees Gariths body and points his spear tip at you. "What's going on here?"

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Maps/kots/Winterhaven.gif
1. Outer Gate and Walls
2. Wrafton’s Inn
3. Market Square
4. Stables
5. Smithy
6. Valthrun’s Tower
7. Bairwin’s Grand Shoppe
8. Warrior Guild
9. Tenements
10. Temple
11. Inner Gate
12. Winterhaven Siege Supplies
13. Winterhaven Barrack
14. Manor House

stupnick
2008-10-17, 07:51 PM
Shylain

Perception Rolls [roll0], [roll1]

Looking through the bodies, Shylain noticed something was ary with Obe during the fight, Also pausing to see the Lords reaction to the fight and the comments.

Jokes
2008-10-17, 08:04 PM
Wrafton's Inn

On Lex's body you find Chainmail, a halberd a crossbow, 10 bolts and 10gp. On Obe, you find Hide armour, a battleaxe, two handaxes, 5gp and a little something extra:

Shylain puts his hand inside the berserker's armour, feeling something hard between the man's chest and his armour. He pulls out a small block, something encased in resin. Holding it up to the light, you can see that it is a tongue. Looking closer at it, you can see a brand burnt onto the flesh, a human skull with a pair of rams horns.

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-19, 04:26 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Winterhaven

"We were ambushed by band of kobolds. Unfortunately, our friend Garith did not survive the battle."

Eldmor
2008-10-19, 04:32 PM
Have you any place for us to honor his death? We would like to be prompt, as we have a task at hand.

Jokes
2008-10-19, 05:02 PM
Outer Gate

"Uh, yeah," he points westward, "follow the road until you reach the western wall, its the big building there. Seems Sister Linora's going to be busy tonight."

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-19, 05:17 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

After a while, the party reaches their destination. Kuan looks around to see if he can spot the sister.

[roll0] Ok, if this wasn't how we were supposed to get here, blame Eldmor. Since Jokes didn't magically get us here, I got forced to do it. If we were supposed to make small talk with the guy, well once again blame him. :smalltongue:

fendrin
2008-10-20, 09:33 AM
Ander

While the rest of the group proceeds to the building they were directed to, Ander hangs back to continue talking to the guard.

"You say the Sister will be busy? Has there been death here?"

He glances around for signs of a recent plague, fire, or invasion.

stupnick
2008-10-20, 10:47 AM
Shylain

Pulling out the item from Lex, Shylain grins while looking at it. Interesting population you have here Lord. He says holding it up towards the Lord of Winterhaven.

Did you say you would be able to get Razz taken care of, or is there someplace we need to take him? Also I believe we do have a job to still complete, Who knows some information about Douven?

Jokes
2008-10-20, 10:31 PM
Wrafton's Inn (Shylain, Elijah)

Padraig takes the item and studies it for a second before realising what it is. "Ugh..." he holds the tongue gingerly, "yes, quite odd. Douven? Can't say I had much to do with him, only talked to him once, didn't really see him around much."

"M'lord," the door of the tavern opens and the Captain enters, flanked by several guards and an elderly looking scholar. "By the Gods, what happened here?"

"A bit of a scuffle broke out between some goons and these chaps." Padraig replies. "No need for arrests, they acted in self defence. But tell your men to take the bodies to the temple. Be careful with the dragon, he's with them."

"At once." He points at the corpses, and shakes his head at his guards. "Go on, get going."

The elderly scholar steps forward, noting the tongue in Padraig's hand. "Hmm, that's interesting..." He takes the tongue and turns it over in his hands.

Outer Gate (Ander)

"There was a fight in Wrafton's." He points at the building behind him. "I don't really know what happened 'cept that we had to drag three corpses out of there."

Temple (Einar, Kuan, Luke?)

Sister Linora is occupied, leaning over the body of a dragonborn and doesn't notice you enter. There are two other corpses, both wrapped in linen.

The timeline is almost right...

stupnick
2008-10-23, 11:15 AM
Shylain

Before heading out of the tavern to follow his friend's body, his interest is sparked by the elderly scholar. What seems to be so interesting about that? What information would you have about it for us?

Oh, and who would possibly know more information about the disappearance of Douven?

Jokes
2008-10-23, 08:34 PM
Wraftons

"Hmm? Oh, I was just looking this over, and... well it looks like it was bitten off. I know that certain people will bite off their tongues if they fear being captured, but to keep it as a trophy?" Valthrun shudders. "And this mark, hmm, I'm not sure what to make of it... Do you mind if I keep a hold of this? I might have some information in my tower." The scholar pauses, considering your second question. "Douven... Hmm, I only saw him a couple of times here, spent a lot of time around Eilian." The farmer in the corner hasn't moved since you first entered the inn.

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-24, 11:03 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Temple

Kuan attempts to get the sister's attention. "Excuse me, madam, but when you are done with that dragonborn, we need your assistance."

Jokes
2008-10-25, 07:36 AM
Temple

"Oh my," the sister looks up from the body. "Oh, not another one, was he involved in the brawl as well?"

OnnaOtaku
2008-10-25, 12:57 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"Brawl? No, madam, we were ambushed by kobolds. Where did this brawl happen?"

fendrin
2008-10-27, 09:53 AM
Ander

Ander nods to the guard and heads to Wrafton's. He has killed too many times to be comfortable in a temple. Besides, he's hungry.

Jokes
2008-10-30, 11:54 PM
Temple

"Oh, just a few hours ago, I guess." She waves her hand towards one of the stone altars. "You can put him there, do you want him raised?"

(I was waiting for something to happen in the Inn, but it looks like we lost our paladin too.)

Eldmor
2008-10-31, 06:41 AM
Raised? I'm not sure if we could afford that option.
Luke seems a little uncomfortable and on edge in the temple. He was taught by his family to be wary of religion because heir basically another contender for local power.

stupnick
2008-10-31, 09:51 AM
Shylain

Hrm... Shylain stands there thinking about that for a few seconds, Noticing out of the corner of his eye, the uncomfertableness of the man sitting alone. No Certainly we don't mind if you hand onto that at all, hopefully you can get some news from it to assist us. Lord, it seems that you have a situation on your hands, I do know my companion here, the one at the temple, shall he get a raise, and I would not mind assisting you with anything that you shall need. But first we do need to get this situation with Douven handled. Do you know by chance where we can find Eilian?

And, who is that man sitting alone over there Shylain adds at the end in a very soft whisper.

Jokes
2008-10-31, 10:08 AM
Wrafton's

Padraig laughs, a mighty bellow. He regains his composure and whispers back, conspiratorially, "why, that old farmer is Eilian himself." He leans back smiling. "As for the raise, well, that depends, I have a job for you. I've been trying to get rid of these kobolds for the last month, but the captain refuses to send anyone to clear out their caves. Swear to take care of that, and I'll have your friend ready by morning."

Ander steps into the Inn, there are bloodstains on the floor and half the town guard seem to be milling about. There is a genasi talking to an important looking man, an old farmer sitting in the corner, an elven ranger who seems to be getting ready to make her leave and the lady behind the bar seems to be tipping into her own supply.

stupnick
2008-10-31, 10:21 AM
Shylain

You have our word we will take care of that. Now if you would excuse me, I am going to have a conversation with Eilian.

Heading over towards the table where the farmer sat, Shylain sits down. He looks directly at the farmer, eye's flowing with flickers of lightning every few seconds. So, I hear you and Douven were good friends. Now he seems to be missing, for some reason you looked rather uncomfertable when we were in that battle with those two hoodlums, and I wonder if they too were "friends" of yours.

So tell me what you know about Douven's where abouts.

Jokes
2008-10-31, 10:31 AM
Wrafton's

"Friends?!" He spits on the ground. "Those riff-raff? Damn right I better be uncomfortable, with hooligans smacking at each other with big metal sticks. I'm just an old man, what else were I 'sposed to do?

"Douven Stahl? Why, what do you want with him?" He holds your glare. "Hmm, if you are asking, it means you don't know where he is, but do you want him cos you are lookin, or because you don't want nobody else to find 'im?"

stupnick
2008-10-31, 10:45 AM
Shylain

It's Simple. We were hired by his wife to find him, he has been missing quite a bit of time. Now if you can help us find him I would be greatly appreciated.

Jokes
2008-10-31, 11:42 AM
Wrafton's

"Ha! That doesn't surprise me, he's always going on about her. He said she once sent adventurers when he was an hour late from his afternoon walk. Though, he was prone to exaggeration. He came here lookin for some temple, said it was built from the bones of an ancient dragon or some codswollop like that. I told him I aint seen nothing like that around here, but I heard talk of big bones out in the forest, so I told him to check that out. I can draw you a map if you like."

Temple

"Oh, well if you change your mind, I can keep him in the mausoleum if you like." She goes back to dressing the dragonborn with ritual oils, which she seems to overdo somewhat. As she works, a guard hurries in and whispers something in her ear and hands her a large leather pouch. She pats the guard on the back and takes the pouch. "Looks like you get to see a raise tonight anyway. Lord Padraig himself has paid for this one."

She hurriedly applies some more oils and lights some incense. The lights in the temple seem to dim as she begins the ritual. She stands for ten minutes, in silent prayer, her hands outstretched over the dragonborn's chest. As her eyes open, as do the dragonborns, and he takes his first breath after coming back from the dead.

@Awesomologist- You take a -1 penalty to all d20 rolls until you reach one milestone. If you like, keep rolling as normal and I'll do the subtracting. You also smell rather overpoweringly like lavender.

stupnick
2008-10-31, 12:03 PM
Shylain

Nodding towards the farmer, Yes, I would greatly appreciate a map. It will be most helpful trying to track him down.

fendrin
2008-10-31, 02:05 PM
Ander

Ander walks up to the bar, carefully stepping around the bloody spots.
"Mistress, I'd like a meal please. Bread & cheese, some fruit and vegetables if available. No meat. Also, I'll have some of what you're drinking."
He would normally stick to water, but in a rural place like this the water can be contaminated in ways that can play havoc with a newcomer's insides. Ale is safer.

As the genasi moves off from the important looking man, Ander steps in.
"I overheard you talking about a kobold problem... I have some information you may find interesting. If you care to, please join me at a table so I may eat while we talk."

With that he takes a seat at a table with his back against the wall, angled in such a way that he can see the door.

Awesomologist
2008-11-01, 11:01 AM
Razz
Razz gasps for air and sits upright unleashing a loud roar. He stumbles as he leaps to his feet, reaching for his axe but unable to find it.
"Why have I been called back?!? Where is Elijah? Shylain?" The confused barbarian unleashes another roar before noticing he is inside a temple. Razz looks at the priestess and in a slightly calmer tone speaks, "I was free to run the plains with my ancestors. They had wings like our dragon fathers and promised me I would have my own... Why have I returned?"

OnnaOtaku
2008-11-01, 06:15 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan turns to the newly raised dragonborn. "Excuse me, but what do you remember before you went to visit your ancestors? Were you involved in the brawl that the priestess spoke of?"

Awesomologist
2008-11-01, 06:43 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan turns to the newly raised dragonborn. "Excuse me, but what do you remember before you went to visit your ancestors? Were you involved in the brawl that the priestess spoke of?"

Razz

Only when Kuan-Ti speaks does Razz notice others in the room. The stench of herbs and oils has clouded Razz's sense of smell.
"Yes I do. I would have hoped that my life had ended in a more valorous way. My ancestors told me, but were happy to see me all the same. I suppose I could take this as a second chance to prove myself more to them. However is still doesn't explain why I've been returned? Where is Elijah? Shylain? What of them?"

OnnaOtaku
2008-11-01, 07:38 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"I'm sorry, I do not know who Elijah and Shylain are. We only came to bring our friend here." Kuan points to the body of Garith. "Tell me, do you know anything about a goblin warlord?

Awesomologist
2008-11-01, 08:02 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"I'm sorry, I do not know who Elijah and Shylain are. We only came to bring our friend here." Kuan points to the body of Garith. "Tell me, do you know anything about a goblin warlord?

Razz

Razz looks at Kuan, "Goblin Warlord? I have no idea what you're talking about. We're looking for some old man. Wife misses him or something. Say who the hell are you anyways?"
Regaining some of his strength Razz begins moving about, "Where's my axe? I should go find little knight and let him know I'm okay."

OnnaOtaku
2008-11-04, 02:11 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"I am Kuan-Ti Lu. These are my friends Einar and Luke," he said while pointing to each of his comrades. "And you are?"

Awesomologist
2008-11-04, 03:04 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"I am Kuan-Ti Lu. These are my friends Einar and Luke," he said while pointing to each of his comrades. "And you are?"

Razz
Razz looks to Kuan-Ti, "My name is Razz Denzik, of the Flame Sands tribe." Razz cross his left arm over his chest, thumping it twice. "I would introduce you to my friends, but it appears I will have to find them first."

Eldmor
2008-11-04, 03:15 PM
Now isn't this guy full of life. Delightful, an unintentional pun.
Where were you last with your friends? We will accompany you there.

Awesomologist
2008-11-05, 12:00 AM
Now isn't this guy full of life. Delightful, an unintentional pun.
Where were you last with your friends? We will accompany you there.

Razz
"I don't know. Perhaps back at the inn? I don't know how long I've been gone."

fendrin
2008-11-05, 09:44 AM
Ander

Ander waits with preternatural patience for his food to arrive and for the man to join him at his table.

Jokes
2008-11-05, 09:51 AM
Wrafton's

Ander
The waiter brings you a small plate of food and a mug of ale. Padraig talks to the scholar for a few minutes, then comes and sits at your table. "Speak."

Shylain

The old man hastily draws you a map. "Like I said, never been there before, but this is the same map as I gave Douven, so I'm sure you will find him at the end of it."

stupnick
2008-11-05, 03:03 PM
((yup, but i am still here... i posted waiting for Ellian to draw me up a map))

fendrin
2008-11-06, 04:32 PM
Ander

"My companions and I encountered some of your kobolds on our way here. That particular war-party will not harass any more travelers. We were able to interrogate one of the kobolds, who gave us some interesting information. The kobolds are not working alone."

He pauses and takes a bite of cheese.

"Apparently the kobolds are working for a goblin warlord named 'Irontooth'. This goblin came from a group of goblins from the Keep on the Shadowfell, which I understand to be near here. That means that the goblins, and by extension the kobolds, are in fact working for a much greater threat."

His throat dry, he takes a sip of ale.

"We believe the Keep has been taken over by a band of cultists led by a human named Kalarel."

Jokes
2008-11-09, 11:02 AM
Wrafton's

"A cult?!" Padraig is certainly surprised by the news. "Damn, it was bad when it was just the kobolds, now he have some crazy cultists as well?!" He slams his fist onto the table, causing some cheese to bounce off your plate. "Well, we can give you directions to the keep, but I can't afford to send any men with you. There is another group of adventures in town, they might appreciate the work," he tilts his head toward the genasi and raises his voice slightly to Shylain can hear, "since they will be doing that kobold job for free."

stupnick
2008-11-09, 06:07 PM
Shylain

Thanking the farmer for the map, Shylain stands up and begins to look for his companions. Knowing one of them is in the temple he things to start there. As he is heading towards the exit of the inn Shylain hears the Lord talk about them. He looks over towards the table and then begins to walk over.

I couldn't have helped but over hear your words, I do believe that my friends and I would be more than interested in assisting and helping out, as long as you assist us with what we need to accomplish.

fendrin
2008-11-11, 10:44 AM
Ander

As the cheese bounces from his plate, Ander's hand shoots out snakelike, plucking the cheese out of the air before it hits the table.

Popping in into his mouth he chews and swallows before speaking again.

"I cannot speak for my companions, but I beleive your assistance will be welcomed."

Taking another sip of his ale, he continues.

"My purpose in alerting you was not to solicit aid, however. I fear that your town may have been infiltrated by the cult. It is what I would do were I inclined to lead such a secret society. Have there been any new settlers in town in the last year or so, or has anyone started to act strangely in that time?"

Awesomologist
2008-11-11, 09:57 PM
Razz
Gathering what belongings he can, Razz looks to the priestess, "I don't have enough to pay for your services, but I would like to go find my friends. Am I free to leave?"

Jokes
2008-11-11, 10:38 PM
Wrafton's

Padraig starts to rub his temples; the day was getting worse and worse. "No, not that I can think about, apart from those ruffians from earlier, but they never caused any trouble before."

Temple

"If you aren't dead, you can't sleep here." She sighs remembering Garith's corpse. "And it looks like I won't be sleeping tonight either."

"If you don't mind," Einar steps forward, "I could help out with the body, it's the least I can do for a friend."

The priestess raises an eyebrow at the genasi, but finally concedes. "I haven't had an assistant in a while, but it should make things easier."

Einar turns back to the group. "You head to the inn, I'll catch up with you later."

Awesomologist
2008-11-11, 11:00 PM
Razz

Remembering his manners, Razz bows to the priestess and thanks her. he turns to the other party, "Hopefully my friends are at the inn. You are welcome to come with me, Shylain and little knight know more about our mission. Besides I need to find my axe."

OnnaOtaku
2008-11-13, 01:01 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

"Yes, let's go there. Our other friend Ander didn't come in with us. Perhaps he decided to go to the inn."

Kuan, Luke, and Razz then head to Wrafton's.

Belobog
2008-11-21, 02:37 AM
[I'm back for good this time. Once again, deeply sorry.]

Elijah, Halfling Paladin

All throughout the aftermath of the brawl, Elijah had been quiet. The activity of the day had been hard for him to swallow, barely having the time to process all the information flying around above him. Clans of kobolds, who were being motivated by a clan of goblins, who were in turn being led by a mob of murderous cultists, who were themselves busy with planting themselves in this sleepy hamlet. And none of it had to do with Douven Stahl...well, almost none. He looks back to the puddles of blood on the floor, the marks left behind by the hooligans - no, now cultists - who wanted to prevent their group from finding the archaeologist. He cursed himself, thinking back on it. Had he been more attentive, Razz would not have had to suffer like he did. The fact that Razz would soon return brought more curiosity than relief. What was it like, to return from death?

The halfling's mind suddenly ground to a halt. They had missed something.

"Lord Padraig," Elijah says, turning to face him, "We may not know what these men were up to... but perhaps, if these men were hiding something suspicious, they would have told their own friends? Before the incident, the men were sitting with a gnome man they seemed acquitted with. Perhaps, if we found and spoke with him, we might know more of their motives."

Jokes
2008-11-21, 04:53 AM
Wrafton's

"Ah, the little guy, huh, now him I don't think I saw before. I wasn't paying much attention to him, but the three of them seemed to be celebrating something. If you think finding him might help, I'm sorry but I have no idea." Padraig shrugs. "Though I will have the Captain investigate, some his guards should have seen him.

As Pardraig brings his ale to his lips, he raises an eyebrow at the entrance of the Inn. "Ah, look who's returned."

Razz, Luke and Kuan-ti enter the inn, and with Padraig's announcement, most people look up, then dismiss the group and go back to doing whatever they were doing.

OnnaOtaku
2008-11-21, 10:22 AM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Kuan spots Ander. He motions for the others to follow him. "Hello, Ander. Hope we're not interrupting." He points to Razz. "This is Razz. He's looking for his teammates. Who is this?" he asks gesturing to the man sitting with Ander.

stupnick
2008-11-21, 11:00 AM
Shylain

Seeing his friend come in the building Shylain heads over to him.

Ah, good to see you, I am sorry it led to that. I just didn't have a chance to stop your wounds from bleeding before it was too late.

Awesomologist
2008-11-21, 11:59 AM
Razz Denzik, Dragonborn Barbarian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=85575)

Razz makes his way into the inn and quickly goes to his companions. He slaps Shylain on the back and grins, "I understand. It all happened so fast. At least tell me that the brute who did this is dead."
Razz will try to recover his axe assuming it's still here. Seeing Elijah still in conversation, Razz crouches behind the halfling and speaks quickly, not wanting to interupt, "Psssst... Little knight... When you are finished here, some other travelers at the temple wanted to ask me questions about some goblin. I said I don't know about any goblins but they should speak with you."

Belobog
2008-11-21, 05:17 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah turns when Razz creeps up behind him, then leans in to listen to the dragonborn's suggestion. He nods, asking the barbarian to wait for a moment before he turns back to Lord Padraig. "Thank you, lord. We shall take our leave of you, but we shall return if we have news that would catch your interest." With that, the knight bows, turning back to Razz with a warm smile. "And I am glad to see you recovered, friend. Are you sure you are well enough to accompany us, though? No one will think less of you if you require time to...recuperate."

Awesomologist
2008-11-21, 05:38 PM
Razz Denzik, Dragonborn Barbarian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=85575)

Razz chuckles and looks to Elijah, "I'll be honest little knight, I feel as though I'm not entirely here. I've been knocked out before, but this feels different. But I am able to help. Just the walk back here to the inn seemed to do me good. I'm also quite hungry."
Razz grabs the nearest maid, "I need food." He opens his hands and makes the shape of a large bowl, "Lots of food."
"Melora's will works over time, perhaps she knows that I have learned a very important lesson," Razz rubs his head as he turns back to Elijah, "And she wants to make sure I learn it."

Belobog
2008-11-21, 11:14 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

"I believe I understand," Elijah says with a nod. "I have learned many things in my service to Amauntanor, and yet, I cannot help but hope that I have seen His lessons correctly. All I know for certain is that I am always in His service." He pauses for a moment, pondering something, before he breaks his reverie with a smile and claps Razz on the arm. "Still, I cannot tell you how...relieved I am that you are well." He takes a short glance at the two people who had followed the barbarian in, pulling his arm away. "You said that there were others like us who were looking for...a goblin? Is this them?"

Awesomologist
2008-11-26, 10:57 AM
"Ha! I am sure Amauntanor is wise, but Melora has taught me something much more simple... 'Duck!'" Razz lets out deep and raucous laugh at his own joke. He gathers himself and speaks in a lower voice to the halfling, "Yes little knight. These are the adventurers I met at the temple. They seem to have lost one of their own recently."

Totally forgot I had tried to submit this post during the brief outage the other day. Also are we in a Forgotten Realms setting? If so I'll switch from Melora to Silvanus.

Belobog
2008-11-26, 08:20 PM
Elijah, Halfling Paladin

Elijah returns the boisterous roar with a good-natured laugh, glad that the dragonborn's spirits had not flagged, before the news wipes the smile off his face. "Truly?" He turns to the others, a frown carved into his features. "You have my...condolences, for what little it is worth. My name is Elijah," the little knight says with a bow. "May I have the pleasure of your own?"

fendrin
2008-11-26, 09:02 PM
Ander

Seeing his comrades-in-arms enter with the boisterous dragonborn, Ander waves them over.

"Please, let us all sit and plan how to rid this place of the evils that threaten it. Introductions all around. I am Ander Dorei."

Those who know Ander well have seen him act the host before; those who know him best recognize that it is just a front.

Awesomologist
2008-11-27, 01:19 AM
Razz greets Ander with a solid grasp of wrists, "I am Razz Denzik. These are my friends, the little knight Elijah, and the elemental Shylain."
Razz takes a seat at the table and waits for his meal.

stupnick
2008-11-27, 01:24 AM
Shylain

The cleric nods his head towards Ander as he is introduced. As he sits to wait for Razz to finish eating, he spreads the map on the table. I got this map from one of the farmers, he gave the same map to Douven on the last day he saw him. I guess before douven set out for this location.

Awesomologist
2008-11-27, 01:32 AM
"Ha! I go down and Stormy here got a map!" Razz pats the cleric on the back, as usual never knowing how heavy his hand is, "Good work. Any word on what he was doing?"

stupnick
2008-11-28, 11:02 AM
Shylain

According to what I heard, he was investigating that location, because it was supposedly a dragon's temple.

Jokes
2008-12-07, 10:39 PM
[We still going? You guys seemed to be Rping amongst yourselves I didn't want to interject. If you are done, you can go to bed (standard cost of a room) and decide what you want to do first, find Douven or go kill some kobolds.]

Awesomologist
2008-12-09, 10:39 AM
Razz
Feeling the weight of exertion and the need for rest Razz excuses himself and heads to bed early.
The next morning he will wait for his companions in the common room of Wrafton's Inn.

OnnaOtaku
2008-12-09, 01:02 PM
Kuan-Ti Lu

Exhaustion finally hits Kuan. It has been a long hard day. After politely listening to the discussion amongst his team and the other band of travelers, he excuses himself. "It seems the exertion of battle has finally come upon me. I will retire to my room. Good day, everyone."