PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Question

Corrupted One
2008-08-22, 10:50 PM
I haven't had the privelege to play D&D. No one around me has any interest in playing so my experience with it is pretty much limited to a few books I have read and this site. So if this question is stupid ( or has already been asked) ignore it please. Anyway I was wondering if it was possible for Roy to continue adventuring as a ghost. At the moment Roy is incorporeal and it has been proven that he cannot interact with his enviorment in any real way. But ghosts, wraiths, and other undead psuedo-corporeal creatures often act as monsters in D&D. I was just wondering if it was possible that something like this could happen to Roy and rather than be ressurected he could continue adventuring as some sort of spirit. Just a thought.

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-22, 10:59 PM
I don't know too much about the rules either, but this has been debated and declared implausible.

Emanick
2008-08-22, 11:33 PM
It's an odd idea, and I've never heard it before, which means probably only three hundred people have thought about it, twenty people have posted about it and five people have posted threads on it. Go figure.
But yeah, it's unlikely to happen. Much of the humor in OotS comes from the interaction the group has as a whole, Roy included for optimal laughs. It's much more likely for Roy to be resurrected as his former self than as a weird spirit-type thing.
Incidentally, the only undead creatures I know of that can gain exp are liches and vampires (and things of that sort). The homebrew spirit Soon was could potentially be something Roy might turn into, but highly unlikely.
I think it's possible from a point of game mechanics, Corrupted One, but it's certainly not in the core rules. Though that's not an obstacle to Rich, it really doesn't strike me as particularly likely.
Sorry.

AceOfFools
2008-08-22, 11:56 PM
Wizards actually made a book (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030606a) about this idea. I know a guy who bought it. It sucked.

Emanick
2008-08-23, 12:09 AM
That was definitely one of their worse ones. Thankfully, it was a little before I started playing, and I never saw it on sale.
I read all the previews of it they had, though, and it sounded great. So narrow escape. :smalltongue:

David Argall
2008-08-23, 01:20 AM
It is a variant of D&D that gets the odd mention at times. Pretty much we can dismiss the idea as too much a variant to be useful here. After a very short list of jokes, what good would an undead Roy do?

A live Roy is just more useful, and so we will be having one, tho I won't predict a strip number lower than 670.

Borris
2008-08-23, 01:30 AM
Technically, a ghost Roy could adventure with the rest of the OotS. And could be quite effective, with the ability to fly and pass through walls, or complete immunity to non-magical weapons.

Ghosts are creatures stuck on the material plane because their souls cannont rest and reach the afterlife. Powerful ghosts cannot even be destroyed. The only way to get rid of them is to set right whatever is holding them. And every ghost can manifest on the material plane easily and intereact with the creatures there.

The Sapphire Guard paladins were ghosts, kept on the material plane by their duty to Azure City. But Roy is definitely not a ghost. As the OP said: "it has been proven that he cannot interact with his environment in any real way." He's already reached his afterlife. At this point, he'd be lucky if he could just talk with mortal creatures like Eugene did.

Corrupted One
2008-08-23, 09:13 AM
I was just wondering if it was possible. I wasn't hoping for it to happen or anything. with all the speculation on how Roy is going to be raised this idea just popped into my head.