PDA

View Full Version : An observation

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-14, 03:04 PM
Has anyone noticed that there appears to be a pattern in the threads started by new-comers. Rather than actually saying anything useful, or asking a question, they start topics, and contained therein are phrases like "Tell me about your X", or "This is where to tell your X".

I put this down to the I Justed Joined A Forum, Must Make Topic syndrome. What do you guys think?

(This is not intended as a stab at newbies, just an observation of a bored and analytical psyche)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-14, 03:20 PM
First off, I'd be hesitant to classify those threads as not containing anything useful. In fact, for a newbie, some of the information is very useful and interesting. If I follow correctly, you're referring to threads like "Where did your screen-name come from?" Newbies tend to start those because long time members already know (from asking when they were newbies). For a newcomer, though, it's a nice window into what the people on this new forum are like.

Other similar threads - "what kind of games do you play?" "what was your favorite character to play?" "what kind of music do you like?" - follow similar patterns. Long time members have seen the answers already, so newbies are more likely to start them simply because they haven't - and weren't around for the last version of that thread.

Also, as far as random information threads - like "What did you do today?" - I see those pop up from long time members just about as often as they come from newbies. In fact, the longest running thread of that type is in fact Random Banter, which is heavily populated by long time members.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-14, 03:22 PM
I was thinking more of the "This is the place to talk about X games!" threads, or "Tell me some of your favourite spells". Or maybe I'm just too analytical.

HempRope
2006-10-14, 03:37 PM
Actually, I've seen this thread come up a couple of times before, too. ::)

I think Gorbash is right. And I don't have a problem with it. However, I also see a lot of newbies start threads where they say, "This is a thread for people to tell ______," and not much more. It sort of gets on my nerves when people start threads asking for other people to tell them things without taking the time to tell everyone else their views on whatever it is.
I see some older members do this, but for the most part people pick up thread ettiquete such as this pretty quickly.

And I think that this thread should probably be in Friendly Banter.

Zherog
2006-10-15, 12:21 PM
I think Gorbash is right. And I don't have a problem with it. However, I also see a lot of newbies start threads where they say, "This is a thread for people to tell ______," and not much more.

That's not a unique thing to these boards, either. I see it other places, too, such as WotC.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-15, 09:07 PM
That's not a unique thing to these boards, either.
The part about me being right? ;)

Anyways, I do agree that the threads that call for discussion on a topic where the OP doesn't take the time to explain what they think (or at least that they haven't yet formulated a specific opinion on the subject for whatever reason) are rather irritating. But, I have to say, it's way down the list on "forum etiquette sins," and as HempRope said, generally newcomers quickly recognize that it's not standard practice here to post in that manner.

And, again, I think the threads I described above are fine, though I do agree sometimes the way they are presented and/or explained by the OP sometimes leaves much to be desired. That being said, many of those threads do develop into interesting and worthwhile discussions wherein one can learn a lot about one's fellow posters that may not previously have been elucidated.

Bookman
2006-10-15, 09:14 PM
one can learn a lot about one's fellow posters that may not previously have been elucidated.

Such as a poster's love of rarely used words? ;)

Zherog
2006-10-15, 09:40 PM
The part about me being right? ;)

Given you have the power to issue me official warnings, I'll just simply say, "no comment." ;D ;D ;D

Anyways, I do agree that the threads that call for discussion on a topic where the OP doesn't take the time to explain what they think (or at least that they haven't yet formulated a specific opinion on the subject for whatever reason) are rather irritating.

In general, I don't mind when somebody starts a thread and says something like:

Hey, I was wondering what your opinions were on widgets? I'll share my thoughts later - right now, I'm just interested in some general dialogue first.

But even when they aren't doing that, and are instead doing what the OP says... *shrug* Maybe I'm just numb from spending so much time on message boards. I just don't care, really. ;)

HempRope
2006-10-15, 11:38 PM
Well, I like that better, but am not enchanted by it. By presenting your interests/opinions, you give a sort of prototype that shows people looking to reply exactly what you're hoping to get in responses. "Some general dialogue" will likely illicit posts on all sorts of very different subjects.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-18, 11:57 PM
I don't know why newbies are starting topics, I was a dwarf before I ever started any topics, and even now I rarely start conversations, unless I have a very sepecific reason. Not anything against them, but I guess I am just more timid, even online, than most.

HempRope
2006-10-19, 09:34 AM
Hmmm... I have never started a thread...

Charity
2006-10-19, 10:57 AM
That is a disgrace Hempy. How have you not?

I'm pretty easy when it comes to topics, if it's dull I don't have to read it and if it's purile it will soon fall of the bottom of the page to the land of the undead threads.