PDA

View Full Version : I need an English Teacher!!

Neon Knight
2008-08-23, 12:12 AM
Or at least a grammar nazi!

Which is correct: Arabian or Arabic?

Rawhide
2008-08-23, 12:15 AM
Context?
Both are correct in different sentences.

Adjective: Arabian
1. Of or relating to Arabian horses
2. Relating to or associated with Arabia or its people
- "Arabian Nights"; "Arabian Sea"

Noun: Arabian
1. A member of a Semitic people originally from the Arabian peninsula and surrounding territories who speaks Arabic and who inhabits much of the Middle East and northern Africa
2. A spirited graceful and intelligent riding horse native to Arabia

[WordWeb.info]

Noun: Arabic
1. The Semitic language of the Arabs; spoken in a variety of dialects

Adjective: Arabic
1. Relating to or characteristic of Arabs
- "Arabic languages"

[WordWeb.info]

AngelSword
2008-08-23, 12:16 AM
Or at least a grammar nazi!

Which is correct: Arabian or Arabic?

What's the point of reference? I would say that the former would be used in reference of that relating to people, and the latter for inanimate objects and ideas.

Of course, I'm not an English teacher…yet…

Krade
2008-08-23, 12:17 AM
Hmm... that's tough...

I've gone through several test sentences in my head and so far they both sound okay. Maybe you'd use "Arabian" for describing certain things and "Arabic" for describing certain other things? If that even makes sense.

GRR!!! Now I'm gonna be thinking about it until it drives me mad! Curse you, Kasrkin! Curse you!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Or, at least, I would have gone mad were it not for Rawhide's nigh-godlike prowess in using the vast and expansive interwebs to find answers to questions no one could possibly know except for the people who made that website and whoever they got thier information from (Horrendous run-on sentence FTW!!!)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-23, 12:19 AM
Depecnds on you're using it.

For example: Arabian Weaponry, Arabian descent...
Also: the Arabic Language, an Arabic weaon

I'm pretty sure theres a fancy name for the different word types like that - but I don't remember it.

Edit: Wait, no, I'm wrong.
Rawhide is right - Arabic is the noun. Arabic is the adjective.

Rawhide
2008-08-23, 12:27 AM
Edit: Or, at least, I would have gone mad were it not for Rawhide's nigh-godlike prowess in using the vast and expansive interwebs to find answers to questions no one could possibly know except for the people who made that website and whoever they got thier information from (Horrendous run-on sentence FTW!!!)

It's actually an electronic dictionary program you can download.

Edit: Wait, no, I'm wrong.
Rawhide is right - Arabic is the noun. Arabic is the adjective.

You should see that both can be used as a noun and as an adjective in different contexts.

KuReshtin
2008-08-23, 06:12 AM
Dictionary.com works really well in cases like this.