PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon Magister's Warning for Potions and Pregnant Women? (Spoiler)

gadren
2008-08-23, 11:22 AM
So, the most recent comic - where pregnant Kazumi quaffs a potion to help her fight off the ninjas - got me thinking... what are the effects of a potion on an unborn child? Could there be permanent side effect? What do you guys think?

Corrupted One
2008-08-23, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure but a pregnant mother drinking a potion and the child coming out with superpowers sounds just unlikely enough to be the origin story of a marvel superhero.

Deathwisher
2008-08-23, 02:00 PM
Normally those potions don't have any lasting effect. I guess you could make a houserule about this very special situation, but otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Except maybe: If the amount of potion is very large. I am reminded of the Obelix character in the Asterix comics.

Kai Maera
2008-08-23, 02:03 PM
The baby shall have heroism on permanent!
Well, probably not. But maybe. Considering how quickly they work, I doubt that the potion is actually digested for effect, but just kind of an internal balm... I don't want to think about it. But considering the effects other things that aren't digested can have on babies, it may have some effect.

Koretsu
2008-08-23, 02:07 PM
I can't really imagine long-term effects... Now, if you were a pregnant woman who constantly chugged Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, or Owl's Wisdom potions, I could understand if the child was born with an ability spread to favor that attribute, but really, who could afford that? Those potions are expensive.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-23, 02:11 PM
If imbibing potions made your child gain those atributes.... Just imagine..

Barkskin? Gaseous form? Girallions blessing? :smalleek:

Did the oracle's magic mouth say something about pregnancies and potions? or was that two seperate things?

funkyhomosapien
2008-08-23, 02:11 PM
It will hyperstimulate the unborn child's body. He will be born deformed in some way, physically or mentally.

Hectonkhyres
2008-08-23, 02:44 PM
I remember reading in a certain, supposedly unmentionable, netbook that potion use (or having spells cast upon you in general or just residing in crazy-ass places like pandemonium) has a small but cumulative chance of screwing with the offspring. There are about equal chances that this will have positive, negative or neutral-but-freaky effects.

Electric_Monkey
2008-08-23, 05:11 PM
Maybe this? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelix)

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-06, 08:34 AM
The baby shall have heroism on permanent!
Well, probably not. But maybe. Considering how quickly they work, I doubt that the potion is actually digested for effect, but just kind of an internal balm... I don't want to think about it. But considering the effects other things that aren't digested can have on babies, it may have some effect.

Im thinking that was a rage potion, not heroism

Graymayre
2008-09-06, 08:50 AM
While, the potions will not give it superpowers, they may cause an acceleratory boost in certain capacities of the child (or possibly detriments)

Here are two examples, one good, one bad, but both with a potion of fox's cunning.

Possibly good:
The stimulation of the brain in this way causes a spurt of growth because of the body's encounter with the potion, genius baby on board.

Possibly bad:
The child's intellect temporarily grows, unfortunately the body sees that it does not need to develop any further in that area and slows its own advancement. The potion goes away and the child could be left feebleminded.

Fortunately, a potion of heroism doesn't affect stats, just attack bonuses. If this does do any change, it would probably influence whether or not he/she picks a caster or basher (atleast in my book).