PDA

View Full Version : That Potion

kpenguin
2008-08-23, 01:01 PM
Is that one of V's potions of Heroism, or were they all used up during the Battle for Azure City?

If it isn't one V's Heroism potions, any guess what it is?

Morty
2008-08-23, 01:11 PM
Bull's Strenght, Bear's Endurance or Mage's Armor are most likely in this situation.

Tusalu
2008-08-23, 01:21 PM
Could be Rage though

Emanick
2008-08-23, 01:24 PM
My vote is for Heroism. Other people than Vaarsuvius can have them, y'know. :smallwink:

Austran
2008-08-23, 01:35 PM
Could be Rage though

Agreed, once I had a kender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kender) rogue that "borrowed" one of those from a wizard, during a siege. So, I decided to use it in the middle of the battle, the results were very similar to Kazumi's reaction. Equally destructive.

Koretsu
2008-08-23, 01:43 PM
Ever seen a pregnant woman fight ninjas? Cat's Grace gets my vote. :P

blackspeeker
2008-08-23, 03:30 PM
Could be Rage though

Rage tends to make others hulk out, like thog did when he escaped cliffport.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-23, 04:15 PM
Rage tends to make others hulk out, like thog did when he escaped cliffport.

Depends on the DM. I cast my vote for Rage too.

Manoftyr
2008-08-23, 04:37 PM
Eh, I think the 'rage' portion came moreso from her simply being pregnant and pissed off, therefore I find it more likely that it was a potion of heroism.

Danukian
2008-08-23, 04:45 PM
Eh, I think the 'rage' portion came moreso from her simply being pregnant and pissed off, therefore I find it more likely that it was a potion of heroism.

My thoughts exactly. Her Rage was Mamma Rage, not Potion-Rage. THe Potion was most likely Heroism or possibly prenatal vitamins.

kossuth's_spark
2008-08-23, 05:02 PM
I still think it was a potion of rage. I don't know how good/bad a ninja's HD is but I don't think that heroism would let her kill a ninja in one hit.

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-24, 01:15 AM
She killed a ninja in one hit before drinking the potion. No, I'm not counting the pillow as a "hit". :smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-08-24, 12:42 PM
No, wait, I've got it! It's a potion of Absolutely (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html).

Setra
2008-08-24, 12:45 PM
No, wait, I've got it! It's a potion of Absolutely (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html).
Heh, yeah let's go with that :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2008-08-24, 01:36 PM

Thirded, for the lulz.

Holammer
2008-08-24, 02:02 PM
Maybe V sold a few for profit? Remember how he/she bought them for a rip off price from the incompetent alchemist. Something which was referenced in strip 421. They are clearly potion of heroism.

Linkavitch
2008-08-24, 02:22 PM
Bull's Strenght, Bear's Endurance or Mage's Armor are most likely in this situation.

Do they make an "all of the above" potion at the end of the potionbook?

Linkavitch
2008-08-24, 02:24 PM

Hey, in that comic, is that a tatoo or a wound on Haley's back?

paladin_carvin
2008-08-24, 02:42 PM
It is a tatoo. It is too hard to see on the screen (I know, I blew it up wondering the same thing) but I can tell you from War & XP it is clearly a heart with an arrow through it, or something close to that. Obviously, it is the one referred to in her aphasia... though perhaps he knows about it now ^_^

Koretsu
2008-08-25, 02:22 AM
It hit me today. Rich is probably messing with us. Even early on, potions have that glow-y magic aura. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html)
(EDIT: A much more recent example!) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) But that didn't. Watch it's just some sort of nausea suppressant to keep us all guessing. :P

drengnikrafe
2008-08-25, 02:30 AM
Besides 4thing what Chronos said, I'd say it's probably irrelevant. However, it's really fun to speculate at stuff like this, so I'll venture a guess...

Potion of Haste? I mean, how many Ninjas does she have to take down in quick succession (3 died between the time she drank the potion, and the next pannel) before it seems reasonable? Unless we're working with 3.5 rules, in which case... potion that teaches you cleave? Potion of Time Stop?

I have no idea. *shrugs*

Allerdyce
2008-08-25, 04:00 AM
Have they shown the reactions to anyone drinking the heroism potions? In all the cases with glowing accompanying the drinking, it was a cure potion, so that may be an affect that only goes with cures.

kpenguin
2008-08-25, 04:07 AM
It hit me today. Rich is probably messing with us. Even early on, potions have that glow-y magic aura. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html)
(EDIT: A much more recent example!) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) But that didn't. Watch it's just some sort of nausea suppressant to keep us all guessing. :P

You know, that could set up some sort of joke like the last ninja asking "Please, before you kill me, what potion did you drink that made you so powerful?" and Kazumi answering "Potion? That was just fruit juice" before promptly dispatching him.

Of course, Rich would be writing it, so it would sound/look better and be less cliched.

Mercenary Pen
2008-08-25, 04:40 AM
I'm gonna go with one of the less obvious ideas...

Potion of Keen Edge (and she critted almost every hit)

kpenguin
2008-08-25, 04:41 AM
I'm gonna go with one of the less obvious ideas...

Potion of Keen Edge (and she critted almost every hit)

Keen Edge is an Oil, not a potion.

Shademan
2008-08-25, 05:10 AM
Keen Edge is an Oil, not a potion.

exactly! thats why its so spaced, dude!

DigoDragon
2008-08-25, 07:25 AM
I dunno, with the way I've seen pregnant women fight it could be a glass of water and still make sense. :smalltongue:

celestialkin
2008-08-25, 07:33 AM
She killed a ninja in one hit before drinking the potion. No, I'm not counting the pillow as a "hit". :smalltongue:

Well, what kind of damage dice would a pillow have?

I dunno, with the way I've seen pregnant women fight it could be a glass of water and still make sense. :smalltongue:

What? How many pregnant women have you seen fight? That is not exactly the best idea while in that condition.

ericgrau
2008-08-25, 09:57 AM
Does it really matter what the potion is? Everything mentioned gives a +2 to hit. Okay, it's a +2 to hit potion. There, done.

Btw, bull's strength would be her best choice at her level. It gives a +2 to hit and a +2 to damage. That or maybe bear's endurance. heroism is only nice when you already have gloves of strength.

chibibar
2008-08-25, 10:06 AM
as I have mention in the original comic thread, did anyone watch Lethal Weapon 4? When the IA cop was pregnant, she still kick butt until Jet Li smack her with a door.

Never mess with a pregnant woman :)

celestialkin
2008-08-25, 10:12 AM
as I have mention in the original comic thread, did anyone watch Lethal Weapon 4? When the IA cop was pregnant, she still kick butt until Jet Li smack her with a door.

Never mess with a pregnant woman :)

Well, you do know that was only a movie, right? An action movie with Jet Li to boot. :smallconfused:

chibibar
2008-08-25, 10:15 AM
Well, you do know that was only a movie, right? An action movie with Jet Li to boot. :smallconfused:

Also, you do realize this is a comic right??? a D&D comic?

Edit: Since it is a comic = fantasy world, it can do anything and everything that a movie can do :) hence, Kazumi kicking butts.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-25, 12:14 PM
Its obviously Freedom of Movement. How else would a pregnant woman fight like that?

chibibar
2008-08-25, 01:03 PM
Its obviously Freedom of Movement. How else would a pregnant woman fight like that?

I can go with this :)

My sister is in her 8th month of pregnancy. She can still move around and have a quick hand. Of course she doesn't move as fast because she is not use to the extra weight, but she can still move. I can see if such a potion exist in the real world, my sister would still be kicking butt like she normally would :)

David Argall
2008-08-25, 01:40 PM
Well, what kind of damage dice would a pillow have?

An historical point: Some Oriental women used to have loaded sleeves. Put a rock in one end of those long sleeves and she needed to merely gather up the cloth in her hand to have a weapon that could give an attacker a major headache.
Given the culture is rife with assassins, it might be perfectly normal for one to sleep with a brick, and a pillow, in the pillow case, meaning one is almost instantly armed if one detects an attacker. Given it makes a better joke if it is just a pillow, that is not likely to have happened here, but a real case lass might not be helpless.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-25, 02:00 PM
I'm going to wager that the pillow does no damage. It's like a net. But, it succeeded in a quick stun which allowed her to attack him flat footed the next round. A pillow to the face (especially a feather pillow, the most likely kind given the setting) can really surprise and confuse you, though I'd wager it would explode before dealing even subdue damage.

Zeful
2008-08-25, 02:09 PM
Then you've never been hit with one very hard. Feather pillows, while they can't break bones can easily drive someone to their knees after two or three blows. Big ones can jar your vision after one hit.

Can't kill but can easily do sub-dual damage in the right hands.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-25, 02:49 PM
Hmm... you have a point. Still, the big effect of hitting with a feather pillow is that 'jarred' effect you talked about, which I think would be equivalent to 'dazed'. Perhaps you could consider it an improvised sap.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-25, 07:37 PM
Wait... she's drinking a potion... :smalleek:

Has anybody done studies on the effects of potions on unborn babies?!

:smallfrown:

kabbor
2008-08-25, 07:42 PM
It has been mentioned. But, strangely, not yet done to death. At least, not when i last checked the discussion thread.

I hope it is not a nausea suppressant. Thalidomide was a common nausea treatment for pregnant women, until its side-effects were discovered.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-25, 08:15 PM
Hmm... well, I think this runs along the line of the resurrection question. I would say it would effect the baby, but only for the duration.

Setra
2008-08-25, 08:16 PM
Just an odd unrelated thought but..

Do you think pregnancy would give a circumstance bonus to intimidate?

Pregnant women scare me.

Fnip the Psion
2008-08-25, 08:17 PM
I'm sayin heroism:smallconfused:

Fnip the Psion
2008-08-25, 08:19 PM
you are a interesting person Setra:smallconfused:

Setra
2008-08-25, 08:19 PM
It's a potion of "what kind of potion did she drink?"

Kai Maera
2008-08-25, 08:28 PM
Is it me or did it change color? I could have sworn it was a red potion when the comic was first posted.

Setra
2008-08-25, 08:29 PM
Is it me or did it change color? I could have sworn it was a red potion when the comic was first posted.
I don't remember seeing it red... but I dunno

kossuth's_spark
2008-08-25, 09:00 PM

yes... it's a bottle of green water

Sure *rolls eyes*

Uncle Festy
2008-08-25, 10:15 PM
It's a potion of "what kind of potion did she drink?"

Heh. That's great. :smallsmile:

Krade
2008-08-25, 10:38 PM
The pillow was a disarm attempt that worked embarassingly well.

The Inverse Law of Ninjas states that the more ninjas you have, the less skilled each individual ninja is: thus, a squad of ninjas will easily get owned by a schoolgirl while a lone ninja could wipe out every living thing in ancient Sparta without breaking a sweat.

Since we are looking at a squad of ninjas, they quite clearly suck. Add on the fact that it is an angry pregnant chick with a not inconsiderable amount of class levels, and they don't stand a chance.

I find it pretty likely that the potion is one of Cat's Grace. If there were rules for pregnancy in D&D, then I'm sure somewhere in there would be a DEX penalty. Barring that, I'd say it's a potion of Natural Armor (or Mage Armor). As a pregnant woman, you'd want all the protection you could get to help keep your baby safe. The fact that it was even within arm's reach at the moment of the attack means they were prepared for just such an event.