PDA

View Full Version : Change your homepage!

AdInfinitum
2006-10-10, 06:29 PM
....he yells, as he sheepishly changes his...

I saw the message about not refreshing the forum pages, and thought, "Hey, what stupid people." Then I realized that, since the GitP boards were my homepage, that was exactly what I was doing each time I opened a new browser window... That's fixed, now. I'm letting google bear that cost.

I realize one person probably isn't going to crash the server, but if a bunch of people have the forums as their homepage and browse like I do, it might add up. So, I've done my part... and sorry again about that.

General Leitmann
2006-10-10, 06:33 PM
Yeah... I've had forums as my homepage in the past, and even though they weren't crashing, merely slowing, I figured the same thing.

My homepage is also Google. Not because I changed it, but because it's a simple, easy page to load, and gets me into the internet that much quicker. I seriously just click on Mozilla and it's already there.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-10, 07:19 PM
My Homepage is Gitp because I don't DO much else on the web. So.. I only open it when I intend to check the forums anyway. Good idea if you actually surf the web, unlike me. :P

RawBearNYC
2006-10-10, 07:36 PM
I change the homepage to about:blank on every computer I use. I rarely ever open a browser window to go to the same page and waiting for whatever stupid page to load before I can go where I want makes me impatient and annoyed.

Blood
2006-10-10, 08:03 PM
I go around on the web a bit, read some other webcomics... seeing as OotS is my biggest thing right now, my homepage is set here.

Does it hurt the loading for me to have it set like that? I can easily set it to something else if that's the case.

Edit: Done.

HempRope
2006-10-10, 09:32 PM
My Homepage is Gitp because I don't DO much else on the web. So.. I only open it when I intend to check the forums anyway. Good idea if you actually surf the web, unlike me. :P
You could make your homepage the forums and cut one page refreshing every time you open a window...

Ego Slayer
2006-10-10, 09:40 PM
Wait.. sorry. Let me clarify: My homepage IS the forums.

Rawhide
2006-10-10, 10:19 PM
I change the homepage to about:blank on every computer I use. I rarely ever open a browser window to go to the same page and waiting for whatever stupid page to load before I can go where I want makes me impatient and annoyed.
Finally, someone else feels exactly the same!

LordOfNarf
2006-10-10, 10:40 PM
I used to have the comic as my homepage, but during the server overloads, I swiched it out to google so that I wouldn't overload the page, I usually check the comic first anyway, but i usually have four ish browser windows open at once.

In non tech speak, what does this do and how is it done?

Ego Slayer
2006-10-10, 10:48 PM
You just enter 'about:blank' into the address bar and save that blank page as home. Correcto?

Rawhide
2006-10-10, 11:00 PM
Nah, in your homepage setting control panel, just click 'Use blank page'.

RawBearNYC
2006-10-11, 09:45 AM
In non tech speak, what does this do and how is it done?

What it does is openes a new window with no webpage, just a blank page. ready for you to go where you want to go. Rather than waiting for google, yahoo, msnbc or whatever to load before you can go elsewhere.

Renegade Paladin
2006-10-11, 10:01 AM
I have seven separate Firefox tabs set for my homepages, and GiantITP is not one of them.

Minimiscience
2006-10-11, 12:59 PM
What it does is openes a new window with no webpage, just a blank page. ready for you to go where you want to go. Rather than waiting for google, yahoo, msnbc or whatever to load before you can go elsewhere.

Waiting is unnecessary. You can just stop the page from loading as soon as the window pops up by hitting the appropriate key sequence; on Macs, for example, it's command-period. Then you're free to go elsewhere.

Actually, now that I think about it, can't you just enter the desired address & hit "Go" or whatever while the homepage is still loading?

atteSmythe
2006-10-11, 01:53 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, can't you just enter the desired address & hit "Go" or whatever while the homepage is still loading?
Not always. My FF that has the default google homepage, for instance, steals the focus away from the address bar to the search box on the page if the homepage happens to finish loading before I've finished typing the URL I really want. Very annoying.

Smythe,
an about:blank user

blackfox
2006-10-15, 09:22 PM
Hehe... my homepage is the SRD. ;D It has been for a while... it used to be mail.yahoo.com, but no one ever emails me anymore, so I don't bother to check my email every 5 minutes.