PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Tai Chi Swords

Rawhide
2008-08-23, 06:59 PM
Greetings everyone,

Some of you will likely know that I'm learning tai chi (I've posted it in a few places). Well, recently I've also started to learn a sword set for tai chi (completely by accident, I showed up really early for a training session one day) and now I need to get a wooden tai chi practice sword...

So, I'm asking everyone here (particularly those in Australia) who knows or might know where I can get just such a sword for advice and recommendations (such as a place to buy them from).

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-23, 10:07 PM
start googling for marshall arts supply stores or look on aussie martial arts forums - they will be the best places to ask

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-23, 10:20 PM
Though when you Google it, spell it right; the word is "martial." :smallamused:

Winter_Wolf
2008-08-23, 10:35 PM
I just have to say this and get it out of my system, be forgiving:
Actually what you'd be studying is technically called "Taiji Jian" (Or Tai Chi Jian, but I'm partial to Mandarin Chinese and pinyin)

Sorry, I had to say it. Martial arts is kind of my thing and I'm particular about calling things what they are. And now that I got my pedantic fix....

Ya, try a martial arts supply store for best results. The thing to note is that those swords actually come in different lengths and weights (provided they're made of metal, I dunno about wooden ones so much) which is significant for the simple fact that your effectiveness in doing the forms/exercises properly depends in part upon the proportion of the sword to your own body.

...Okay so I wasn't done being pedantic, but it's kind of practical if you're serious about Taiji Jian

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-23, 10:43 PM
Though when you Google it, spell it right; the word is "martial." :smallamused:

thats what you get for posting at 4 am while thinking about guitar gear... ugh firmly palmed

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 10:47 PM
I'd use PVC piping if you can...

Rawhide
2008-08-23, 10:53 PM
I just have to say this and get it out of my system, be forgiving:
Actually what you'd be studying is technically called "Taiji Jian" (Or Tai Chi Jian, but I'm partial to Mandarin Chinese and pinyin)

Sorry, I had to say it. Martial arts is kind of my thing and I'm particular about calling things what they are. And now that I got my pedantic fix....

Ya, try a martial arts supply store for best results. The thing to note is that those swords actually come in different lengths and weights (provided they're made of metal, I dunno about wooden ones so much) which is significant for the simple fact that your effectiveness in doing the forms/exercises properly depends in part upon the proportion of the sword to your own body.

...Okay so I wasn't done being pedantic, but it's kind of practical if you're serious about Taiji Jian

I'm actually well aware of the correct name, which is tai chi chuan, but it's easier when dealing with westerners just to call it tai chi.

I'd use PVC piping if you can...

Well, it needs to be the correct weight (and to rattle), also it needs to have a blade as orientation while slicing is important.

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 11:00 PM
I'm actually well aware of the correct name, which is tai chi chuan, but it's easier when dealing with westerners just to call it tai chi.

Well, it needs to be the correct weight (and to rattle), also it needs to have a blade as orientation while slicing is important.

Why must it ratttle?!

Rawhide
2008-08-23, 11:18 PM
Why must it ratttle?!

It is supposed to be loose at the hilt, to make a 'clunk' sound when thrusting.

reorith
2008-08-23, 11:56 PM
so there is more to tai chi than slow random hippie movements?

also, are wooden swords even legal in australia?

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-24, 12:05 AM
salso, are wooden swords even legal in australia?
Why wouldn't they be? If you want to injure someone, there are numerous legal things to use to do it, that would do it better than a wooden practice sword.

reorith
2008-08-24, 01:41 AM
Why wouldn't they be? If you want to injure someone, there are numerous legal things to use to do it, that would do it better than a wooden practice sword.

all sorts of fun stuff is banned in australia.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-24, 04:11 AM
all sorts of fun stuff is banned in australia.

That's because Australia has kangaroos and koalas and platypi and suchlike. If they allowed everything fun, the entire continent would explode from sheer awesome.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-24, 05:28 AM
I got my bokken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokken) (bokutō) a few years back at AWMA (http://www.awma.com/). I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for, but they've done well enough for my needs. Although, they do like to send e-mails and catalogs, which can be a bit annoying if you've really got a thing against spam/soliciting.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-24, 10:01 AM
I got my bokken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokken) (bokutō) a few years back at AWMA (http://www.awma.com/). I'm not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for, but they've done well enough for my needs. Although, they do like to send e-mails and catalogs, which can be a bit annoying if you've really got a thing against spam/soliciting.
So don't give them your contact info? :smalltongue:

13_CBS
2008-08-24, 10:44 AM
Here's one right here if you need to order one online:
http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-sw-95.html

You may wish to read the comments at the bottom, however.

FYI, these swords are called "jian".

Poison_Fish
2008-08-24, 11:46 AM
I used a bokken when practicing Tai Chi (I did the same thing you are doing now a few years back). A basic Bokken, while the weight isn't correct, will function for just practicing the form.

Have you asked your teacher about suggestions of where to get some?

Paul Chen swords are decent enough to look for those. Here are some of the tai chi swords he has Paul Chen (http://www.swordsdirect.com/tai_chi_swords.html).

Thing is, they aren't really good swords, but they aren't bad either, and are a decent price comparative for their quality. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any wooden tai chi swords.

Winter_Wolf
2008-08-24, 11:59 PM

Okay, granted. Easier to say Tai Chi with westerners. Also I wonder if we're maybe on different wavelengths here with the whole Taiji Quan vs Taiji Jian. (If you MUST, Taichi chuan / Taichi Jian). Quan is barehanded, Jian is when you use the sword. I lived in the country long enough and deal with the locals correcting my pronunciation, ended up like this with the nitpicking. It's a flaw.:smallfrown:

BTW, any luck locating a blade yet?

(I really can't stand the Wade-Giles sytem of romanized Chinese. So if you guys will leave me alone about the whole Taiji, I'll leave it alone about the Taichi. Still writing it in pinyin though.)

Rawhide
2008-08-25, 12:43 AM
I'm doing both. Sword is something I've just started and I'm doing on the side (about half a session long) and wasn't originally something I was planning on.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-25, 05:11 AM
So don't give them your contact info? :smalltongue:

Well, it's an online company...so unless you want your purchases shipped to a 3rd-party, you're pretty much at their mercy. E-mails are probably quarterly and it's been a while since I've seen a catalog. But I have moved about 3 times in the last 3 years... :smallwink: