PDA

View Full Version : Spite makes me a jerk

Setra
2008-08-23, 07:03 PM
Sometimes when a person upsets me or ticks me off, I will do everything I can to annoy or hurt them out of spite.

Once I wiped my sister's C drive in such a way she'd need to reformat (Even though I know she doesn't have an XP or Vista CD), then using her myspace to insult all of her friends on myspace when she took my car for a joyride and wasted all my gas and never put anything back in it even though I was broke and needed to get to work in the morning and I ended up late 'cause I ran out halfway there and getting fired because my boss was an ******* (This was my first time being late).

Anyone else get the same way?

Ps. I'm still holding a grudge against my sister, this was somewhat recent though.

Darth Mario
2008-08-23, 07:11 PM
I've never done anything quite that... extreme.

Usually my revenge entails making their life miserable in many little tiny ways, turning other people against them, making them flip out at me or others in public for little reason... I try to save it for people who really deserve it (usually, they aren't people who have hurt ME, they're people who have hurt my close friends).

Personally, however, I would regard the C drive wipe as unforgivable. Assuming, you know, she doesn't keep a backup.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-23, 09:28 PM
The C drive thing was extreme, then again, it got you fired and was an incredably rude/incondsierate thing to do.
At the moment, I can't think of any real examples of spite, but I generally flip out to the same degree when someone does stuff like that..

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 09:30 PM
I do this, but I usually put those people through a real mindscrew that leaves them confused in desperate.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-08-23, 09:32 PM
Mmm, I'm generally a pretty spiteful person. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything drastic I do, but I have been known to stir trouble over something...

valadil
2008-08-23, 09:48 PM
The computer thing was extreme, but burning all your gas and getting you fired is pretty low.

I don't get spiteful but I'm a jerk in that I cross lines unintentionally. Like if some friends and I are joking around and making fun of each other, the joking always gets elevated but I'm the one to cross lines and piss people off.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-23, 10:13 PM
Spite? I haz it not. Really.

I'm not very spiteful. I don't remember when the last time I was. I'm far too afraid of reactions to do something out of spite. There were plenty of times I wanted revenge on my younger brother for something silly when we were young, but I wasn't willing to risk the consequences. If I'm ever "spiteful"... it's kind of... backwards. Like I'm going to put my best foot forward. Whether to them or where they can see. People piss me off plenty, but I prefer trying to take the "I'm not going to be an asshat too" approach. :smalltongue:

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-23, 10:16 PM

I'm not very spiteful. I don't remember when the last time I was. I'm far too afraid of reactions to do something out of spite. There were plenty of times I wanted revenge on my younger brother for something silly when we were young, but I wasn't willing to risk the consequences. If I'm ever "spiteful"... it's kind of... backwards. Like I'm going to put my best foot forward. Whether to them or where they can see. People piss me off plenty, but I prefer trying to take the "I'm not going to be an asshat too" approach. :smalltongue:

Likewise, though not for the same reasons.

Sneak
2008-08-23, 10:18 PM
When I get angry, I'm big on revenge. Luckily, it's usually nothing very harmful or serious. Although I think I'm getting better...I haven't really gotten that angry in a while, with one exception, but even that time I was able to keep my cool by going outside and avoiding the person I was angry at for the night.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-23, 10:19 PM
Spite makes me a jerk
Well... Yes. I mean, duh. That's what it does. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2008-08-23, 10:23 PM
I try not to act when i'm angry, but i can't always.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-08-23, 10:27 PM
I never make someone's life hell in the blatant turning friends against them way. I just make their life inescapably awkward. Which is weirdly worse, I like to think.

skywalker
2008-08-23, 10:28 PM
I try my best not to be spiteful because I can be really mean subconsciously when I am. I know my best friend had severe social anxiety when we were younger. I had talked to him often about the girl I was crushing on, and he had never told me he was too. So one day, he finally asked her out. While I was publicly very happy for him(and in fact, I thought myself I was merely happy), I was subconsciously engineering his downfall by telling everyone I could about it, and encouraging them to congratulate him on his achievement.

Stuff like that happens without me even meaning it to. In a story not about spite, but in a similar vein, I was playing basketball with a different friend, and he drove by me on his way to the net. I reflexively threw out a foot, tripped him, and he broke his arm on the pavement. I didn't tell anyone for years that I was the one who had tripped him. He still doesn't know, in fact.

I try not to get in situations where things like that will happen anymore.

tribble
2008-08-23, 10:32 PM
Unless he read that reply! DUN DUN DUN!

reorith
2008-08-23, 10:41 PM
lol spite. just remember revenge should be exponential. nice work setra.
an eye for an eye is juvenile and pointless. an eye for a kidney is a worthwhile use of resources.

so this guy used to harass me in me in high school. a little while after graduation, i ran into him and he apologized for it. then i did some stuff. i won.

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 10:43 PM
I act tough, and pretend to be spiteful to keep others that I dislike away, but I'm not very good at it. I'm not spiteful at all.

wadledo
2008-08-23, 10:48 PM
I act tough, and pretend to be spiteful to keep others that I dislike away, but I'm not very good at it. I'm not spiteful at all.

We still don't mind your presence though, which is a good thing.

I, for the most part, don't care about anyone long enough to get revenge.
There are people I'm jokingly mean to, but that's just because I care about them enough to honestly and constantly point out their flaws.

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 10:53 PM
We still don't mind your presence though, which is a good thing.

I, for the most part, don't care about anyone long enough to get revenge.
There are people I'm jokingly mean to, but that's just because I care about them enough to honestly and constantly point out their flaws.

A poster after me own heart!

Basically, I second that.

Collin152
2008-08-23, 10:55 PM
Spite doesn't make me a jerk.
Being a jerk makes me a jerk.

I'm a spineless, treacherous, manipulative cur. Revenge is confusing with me, as it's hard to know if I've even done anything out of the norm.

wadledo
2008-08-23, 10:56 PM
I admit this is a little spiteful though;

All hail to @ssachusetts, the land of the free and the brave!
For Bunker Hill and Charlestown, and flag we love to wave;
For Lexington and Concord, and the shot heard 'round the world;
All hail to @ssachusetts, we'll keep her flag unfurled.
She stands upright for freedom's light that shines from sea to sea;
All hail to @ssachusetts! Our country 'tis of thee!

All hail to grand old Bay State, the home of the bean and the cod,
Where pilgrims found a landing and gave their thanks to God.
A land of opportunity in the good old U.S.A.
Where men live long and prosper, and people come to stay.
Don't sell her short but learn to court her industry and stride;
All hail to grand old Bay State! The land of pilgrim's pride!

All hail to @ssachusetts, renowned in the Hall of Fame!
How proudly wave her banners emblazoned with her name!
In unity and brotherhood, sons and daughters go hand in hand;
All hail to @ssachusetts, there is no finer land!
It's @-S-S-A-C-H-U-S-E-T-T-S.
All hail to @ssachusetts! All hail! All hail! All hail!

MisterSaturnine
2008-08-23, 10:57 PM
I can be prone to spite, but it rarely lasts long enough to culminate into action. I just tend to give people a glare that sends chills up their spine and then grumble to myself for a while. :smalltongue:

fraud
2008-08-24, 12:14 AM
using her myspace to insult all of her friends on myspace when she took my car for a joyride and wasted all my gas and never put anything back in it even though I was broke and needed to get to work in the morning and I ended up late 'cause I ran out halfway there and getting fired because my boss was an ******* (This was my first time being late).

at first I thought that would be kinda mean, like really bad:smallannoyed:. But than I read what she did and I'm surprised that's all you did:smalleek:
I would've done that + empty her backpack (if she has one) and hide all her stuff including homework + found something she cared about and destroyed it, such as a favourite teddy or a favourite CD or a favourite book.:smallamused:
I'm surprised you didn't go and egg your bosses house:smalltongue:

skywalker
2008-08-24, 12:21 AM
Unless he read that reply! DUN DUN DUN!

The chances of that happening are... miniscule... Firefox thinks miniscule is misspelled back there... Am I missing something?

Totally Guy
2008-08-24, 04:14 AM
I thought this was meant to be a nice forum for nice people. I mean every now and again somebody does a nice congratulation on that point.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-24, 05:16 AM
I don't do anything mean to people when they make me angry. I just let my anger and hatred build up in layers, until I can list every negative thing someone has done to me dating back to kindergarten. I'm not very good at forgiveness, but then I never do anything that'll make me seem unforgiving.

Drascin
2008-08-24, 05:42 AM
Myself, I have the opposite problem. I almost never fault people for doing crap to me - I'm just too naturally forgiving. I grumble and groan and act all offended, but when it comes to it, I can't get truly angry at someone.

Of course, that's if you do crap to me. If you hurt someone I like, however, you should probably be thankful if I just burn your possessions on a pyre. I have a bit of an overprotectiveness flaw :smallsigh:

Morty
2008-08-24, 06:45 AM
I'm an extremely spiteful person. When someone does something bad to me, I'll remember it for very long. I can rarely be bothered to act on it though, I feel it's usually not worth it to risk this person's revenge or I'm simply lazy.

Thufir
2008-08-24, 07:04 AM
I can't really stay angry at people for very long usually, so the anger has faded by the time I can think of suitable revenge. But for big things, exceptions can be made. I don't hold many grudges, but the ones I do hold really last.

Falconer
2008-08-24, 12:15 PM
Whenever somebody wrongs me, i usually spend hours thinking about it. Pretty much just brooding (I know it's not healthy) and grumbling to myself. Revenge usually isn't my thing, though.

Then, of course, I get distracted by something else, and forget all about it. :smalltongue:

black_Lizzard
2008-08-24, 12:54 PM
I actually never seem too get mad at people anymore, and if i do get mad i never act out on it. I usually cant be mad at a person for over a day. It's weird, i'm not one of those nauseously cheerful people either. I guess i don't really see any point in getting mad at people over most stuff.

13_CBS
2008-08-24, 12:55 PM
Sometimes when a person upsets me or ticks me off, I will do everything I can to annoy or hurt them out of spite.

Once I wiped my sister's C drive in such a way she'd need to reformat (Even though I know she doesn't have an XP or Vista CD), then using her myspace to insult all of her friends on myspace when she took my car for a joyride and wasted all my gas and never put anything back in it even though I was broke and needed to get to work in the morning and I ended up late 'cause I ran out halfway there and getting fired because my boss was an ******* (This was my first time being late).

Ps. I'm still holding a grudge against my sister, this was somewhat recent though.

Uh...she got you fired. Granted she probably didn't do that on purpose, but wiping her C drive and screwing up her Myspace? She got off pretty lightly, I think.

black_Lizzard
2008-08-24, 01:12 PM
Uh...she got you fired. Granted she probably didn't do that on purpose, but wiping her C drive and screwing up her Myspace? She got off pretty lightly, I think.

Depends on the job really, if it was some crappy food service job it might be a bit much.

Setra
2008-08-24, 01:13 PM

I'm not very spiteful. I don't remember when the last time I was. I'm far too afraid of reactions to do something out of spite. There were plenty of times I wanted revenge on my younger brother for something silly when we were young, but I wasn't willing to risk the consequences. If I'm ever "spiteful"... it's kind of... backwards. Like I'm going to put my best foot forward. Whether to them or where they can see. People piss me off plenty, but I prefer trying to take the "I'm not going to be an asshat too" approach. :smalltongue:I'm usually afraid of the consequences as well, but she doesn't know I did it. I managed to convince her she got hacked, which I had planned to do from the start because.. well.. it's Myspace, it's believable and she has a history of downloading virus' that screw up her computer.
I thought this was meant to be a nice forum for nice people. I mean every now and again somebody does a nice congratulation on that point.Normally I like to consider myself a nice person. I just tend to be extreme when I get angry, possibly because I am bi-polar.

Uh...she got you fired. Granted she probably didn't do that on purpose, but wiping her C drive and screwing up her Myspace? She got off pretty lightly, I think.My boss was an *** and I didn't care much for the job or the people I worked with. I DID like the pay though and still need a new one (this happened about a week ago).

Edit: I'm honestly not sure if she even knows about the myspace yet.

reorith
2008-08-24, 03:03 PM
Edit: I'm honestly not sure if she even knows about the myspace yet.

rofl. when she finds out, post here response please.

Mr. Moon
2008-08-24, 05:22 PM
Whenever somebody wrongs me, i usually spend hours thinking about it. Pretty much just brooding (I know it's not healthy) and grumbling to myself. Revenge usually isn't my thing, though.

Then, of course, I get distracted by something else, and forget all about it. :smalltongue:

That's pretty much me. *nodnod*

Glaivemaster
2008-08-25, 11:51 AM
I get angry and rage. I swear at people and insult them, I moan about them, talk about them behind their back, say horrible things and make sure everyone knows why they've pissed me off so much, so I get a lot of people on side. I resolve never to talk to these people again, and to make their life a living hell if I can get the chance, and assure myself they won't be forgiven for whatever minor transgression against me.

Then in a couple of days I see them, say hello and everything is forgotten on both sides. I've already let out all my rage, it's gone and I don't particularly care about it any more, so I'm not bothered by whatever they did. I think most of my friends expect this from me now as well and tend to just work around it, so there are no grudges either side really.

As much as I sometimes think I'd like to do something like Setra, I really wouldn't. As much as I'd like to think that I can hurt people as much as others in this thread claim they can, realistically I can't, nor would I if I could. I might annoy my friends from time to time, but I think just letting it all loose at once is probably best

EvilElitest
2008-08-26, 11:39 AM

you also make my sig quote, was taht spite?
from
EE

Setra
2008-08-26, 11:52 AM
you also make my sig quote, was taht spite?
from
EE
Nah that was just humor :smalltongue:

Also true

As much as I sometimes think I'd like to do something like Setra, I really wouldn't. As much as I'd like to think that I can hurt people as much as others in this thread claim they can, realistically I can't, nor would I if I could. I might annoy my friends from time to time, but I think just letting it all loose at once is probably best
To be honest I don't usually do anything, it takes a certain amount before I actually take any action... usually it has to involve money, call me greedy but I like money.

Winter_Wolf
2008-08-26, 01:28 PM
I have to ask: how did she get your car keys? Or is she some kind of hotwiring expert? 'Cause, you know, I'd find a way of getting all copies of the car keys well away from her. You can't trust a thief, and people who steal a car to go joyriding are thieves. Especially can't trust family. I mean, I love my family, but I sure don't trust them.

As for your retaliation, you're off to a fine start, but it's not complete until you perform the ritual of public humiliation. Truly, it is the best way to convey your displeasure. Plus, you can't really be arrested, unlike the ol' standy, beating the crap out of the offender.

Consult your local sage for more information on the ritual of public humiliation if you are for some reason unfamiliar with it.

Setra
2008-08-26, 03:23 PM
I have to ask: how did she get your car keys? Or is she some kind of hotwiring expert? 'Cause, you know, I'd find a way of getting all copies of the car keys well away from her. You can't trust a thief, and people who steal a car to go joyriding are thieves. Especially can't trust family. I mean, I love my family, but I sure don't trust them.
We have a thing on the wall where we hang our keys...

Needless to say my keys are always in my pocket now.

Calvin33
2008-08-26, 03:46 PM
That sounds like she got what was coming to her.

RandomLunatic
2008-08-26, 04:27 PM
Normally, I just take the abuse and stew in it. Sometimes, however , I can be pushed over the edge. Like this recent example form work:

So this women comes in and asks for a 'large iced coffee, light and extra sugar, hazelnut'. I get it for her, she pays, she leaves. I think no more of it.

Sometime later, she comes back in, barging in fornt of the line and demanding to knwo what it is in the dirnk. I think for a monent, then repeat the original order-'large iced hazel, light and extra.' She asked 'Are you sure?'

'Yes.'
'Well, it tastes like the pink stuff.' (for those who do not work in, or frequent, a coffee store, she means Sweet 'N Low.)
'Well, I have no idea how that could be, since there is none in it.'

Cue a lengthy discussion where the previous two points are restated in pretty much every way possible, with me occasionally reminding her there is a line behind her. Finally, I give in-I usually have to do this when confronted with this sort of customer, as killing them is illegal and nothing else seems to get them to shut up.

At this point, if you are assuming I caved just so I spit in her new coffee, you are wrong. I consider spitting to be petty and unimaginitive. Much more fun to, say, drop a couple of packets' worth of Sweet 'N Low into an obnoxious customer's drink.

Manoftyr
2008-08-26, 05:33 PM
I hold grudges like no other and am EXTREMELY vengeful, in fact it's caused me to do some truly terrible things in the past that I today regret deeply...it's something about myself I'm actively trying to change actually but I am by nature an extremely spiteful and vengeful person.

So, you're not alone there Setra when it comes to vengefulness...heck, you're really not even that bad compared to some of the stuff I've done, but I'd rather not go into details, but, suffice to say that if someone took my car out without asking I would of probably ended up doing a whole lot more then messing with their Myspace.

Zanthur
2008-08-26, 05:58 PM
I've never really done anything to piss anyone off, but I have certainly had things done to me that would probably have set most people over the edge. Nothing I can remember now since most of it was when I was a child, but I know it happened. The fun part is that I'm going into Computer Science as my major, specializing in the Infrastructure field (hardware, networking and security), and I definatly know some fun ways to mess up someone's computer without wiping it. I knew several ways before I started my degree, but I know ever more now.

I'm generally a very easy-going person. It really takes a lot to piss me off and when I am, I usually dont show it. Most of the time its because I dont need to do something that might jepordize my clean record, but its usually because I'm too busy or too lazy to have a reaction...