PDA

View Full Version : d20 Western - Where could one find appropriate rules?

blackout
2008-08-23, 07:07 PM
Thinking of taking my group through a d20 Western campaign set in an alternate history.

Any rulesets out there for such a campaign, or am I going to have to make one?

Dhavaer
2008-08-23, 07:32 PM
d20 Modern has a d20 Past expansion. It's not specifically for Westerns, but it has the weapons and things that would be used.

blackout
2008-08-23, 08:13 PM
Awesome.

Now if I just had the money for it...Curses. Lack of funds has foiled me once again.

Kronk
2008-08-23, 09:12 PM
I have to give props to some of my buds at Dog House Rules (http://www.doghouserules.net). They have a product called Sidewinder: Recoiled based on d20 Modern that has an Old West theme. They won an Ennie in 2004. Have a look at it.

AndromedaRPG
2008-08-23, 10:01 PM
Both d20 Modern and d20 Past are pretty cheap through new/used at Amazon (looks like about $16 with shipping for both books). The nice thing about getting the d20 Modern/Past is that after you're done your western game, it's pretty easy to do other type games, such as FBI based game (something I ran recently), sci-fi (either with d20 Future of the Modern SRD), or any sort of thing. I don't know anything about Sidewinder, so it may also have that flexibility.

Matthew
2008-08-23, 10:12 PM
I have to give props to some of my buds at Dog House Rules (http://www.doghouserules.net). They have a product called Sidewinder: Recoiled based on d20 Modern that has an Old West theme. They won an Ennie in 2004. Have a look at it.

That's what I would have said [i.e. gets my vote]. :smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2008-08-23, 10:34 PM
Thinking of taking my group through a d20 Western campaign set in an alternate history.

Any rulesets out there for such a campaign, or am I going to have to make one?Hmm, what sort of alternate history are you looking for?

There's a D20 version of Deadlands as I recall; deadlands is the "wierd west" and has steampunk/horror/fantasy elements.

Knaight
2008-08-23, 10:34 PM
Of course if the characters themselves change and you can deviate from d20, you can always try Deadlands.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-23, 10:40 PM
even if you wind up being unable to purchase the material, it shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate a ruleset using the D20modern SRD.

Knaight
2008-08-24, 12:54 AM
The ruleset is there, you just need to shift a few names around and kill a few of the more modern techy stuff, such as most vehicles, cell phones, etc.

brant167
2008-08-24, 01:11 PM
Deadlands is great. Its a lot of fun, the magic system is a blast and the setting is great as well.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-24, 01:17 PM
Of course if the characters themselves change and you can deviate from d20, you can always try Deadlands.

Thirted. Screw D20, Deadlands is a system that uses not only dice, but cards and poker chips! Talk about mechanics enhancing the feeling of the setting.

Meat Shield
2008-08-25, 09:48 AM
There is also Aces 'N' Eights (http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/) from Kenzerco.

blackout
2008-08-25, 10:02 AM
Aces n Eights: I've looked at it before. Looks interesting, thinking of trying it sometime.

Deadlands: I'll look it up. Hooray! Cards and poker chips! :smallbiggrin:

Dog House Rules: I'll also look at that.

My group should like any of the three, especially the group's host, who's a sucker for Old West-style movies.

codexgigas
2008-08-25, 10:07 AM
The big thing that d20 Past adds to the d20 Modern ruleset is the stats for period guns (well, and naval combat, which doesn't apply to your campaign). If you're comfortable homebrewing those, then there's no reason to pick up the expansion (although some of the Advanced Classes fit well). I don't know how uniform this is across the country, but I know that the Hastings in my town is starting to sell off all of its 3.x d20 system books off for half price or less, so you could conceivably pick both books up for around $30, if you can find them.

Treguard
2008-08-25, 10:41 AM
Yeah, consider me a convert to the Weird West of Deadlands! It looks to be ton of fun.

The Rose Dragon
2008-08-25, 11:18 AM
I also know of (but never actually bought, cause I'm not much into Westerns) True20 Wild West. Might be worth looking into.

bosssmiley
2008-08-25, 11:39 AM
"Boot Hill" IIRC. Oh wait, that was 1st Ed. :smallamused:

d20 Past, or Goodman Games Broncosaurus Rex (http://www.goodman-games.com/broncosaurus.html) ("Dinosaurs, space travel, the Civil War, and the wild west, all mixed together in one epic world!")

kjones
2008-08-25, 01:33 PM
Second Aces & Eights, but only for a grittier, more realistic game. Also fairly rules-heavy.

Unfortunately, I must recommend you against Broncosaurus Rex - at least for your purposes. It's a setting, and it sounds like you have one already.