PDA

View Full Version : Site Migration ’06 FAQ

TheThan
2006-10-12, 02:20 AM
Ok we should all know by now that the server will be moving soon and the message boards will be switching to new (and hopefully better) software. I know that the wonderful people in charge of this website will try their best to maintain the usual status quo (without the current problems of course). But I still have some questions. I thought I would put all the questions I (and others) have all in one convenient and easy to find thread. That way the website staff and admin(s) will be able to answer all of our questions without having to answer the same question three different times in three different threads. Feel free to add to the list of questions that need to be answered… and try not to ask the same question twice.

1. With the new forum software, will forum goers have to create a new account for the message boards?
2. Assuming we don’t have to create new accounts will we keep all our current pms?
3. Assuming all goes well, will we need to create new threads for PBP games?
4. Will the site address change?
5. If the site address changes what will the new address be?

I know I have some more to ask, but it’s late and I can’t seem to recall them at the moment. I’m sure someone else will think of them for me.

Jack Mann
2006-10-12, 03:27 AM
Looking at the other server thread, I think I can answer these questions.

1. No, probably not, unless things go very wrong indeed.
2. I suspect it will be like the threads. They might get moved to the server, but there's some possibility that they could be lost, so back up anything important to you. You should do that anyway, in case you accidentally deleted your private messages.
3. Only if the original threads are lost. Which is a possibility, so back up what you're going to need, and be prepared.
4. No. The address will point to the old server for a bit, but by the time the site goes live again, this won't be a problem.
5. N/A

The Giant
2006-10-14, 06:13 PM
1. With the new forum software, will forum goers have to create a new account for the message boards?

Not unless something screws up. However, I am considering deleting all members with 0 posts before the move, to try to minimize the number of accounts that need to be converted. So if you're reading this and have 0 posts, go post something now to keep your account active.

2. Assuming we don’t have to create new accounts will we keep all our current pms?

Not unless something screws up.

3. Assuming all goes well, will we need to create new threads for PBP games?

4. Will the site address change?

The website address, www.GiantITP.com, will definitely NOT change. However, the message board address almost certainly WILL change, due to the fact that the current address includes "/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl" in the URL. But you will still be able to get to the main GiantITP.com page, click on Forum, and then bookmark the new message board URL.

5. If the site address changes what will the new address be?

For the message board only: Too early to tell, it will depend on the new software.

Were-Sandwich
2006-10-15, 08:22 AM
Not unless something screws up. However, I am considering deleting all members with 0 posts before the move, to try to minimize the number of accounts that need to be converted. So if you're reading this and have 0 posts, go post something now to keep your account active.

Now, I know this is going to sound a bit impertenent, but I think this should have been done long ago. If I were running a forum with such a large number of members registered, I would perrenially prune those wo have never posted, or haven't posted for more than, say, six months. But then its not my forum, so...,

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-10-15, 11:25 AM
Now, I know this is going to sound a bit impertenent, but I think this should have been done long ago. If I were running a forum with such a large number of members registered, I would perrenially prune those wo have never posted, or haven't posted for more than, say, six months. But then its not my forum, so...,

Wouldn't that be more of a hassle than its worth? I can see where it really makes sense in this instance but to constantly run around after people who signed up and then didn't post anything just seems like a waste of time to me and could actually irritate a few who just like to lurk with a name. Granted 99% wouldn't notice that you deleted their accounts but, really, why bother? Those 0 post accounts aren't hurting anyone.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-15, 11:47 AM
Yes, but like Mr. Burlew said, it's a *lot* of accounts to convert. I'd think when you know something could possibly go wrong you'd want to eliminate any unnecessary information. Just get the converstion done a quickly as posible.

Zherog
2006-10-15, 12:17 PM
Rich didn't know he was changing boards software until very recently. Up until that time, there are reasons to register without posting.

1) Most message boards only allow searching for members. However, I believe this one allowed guests to search (until recently, of couirse). But somebody may have registered in order to search out of habit.

2) Registering allows you to receive notifications on threads.

There's probably other reasons, but I've only had one cup of coffee today.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-15, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the thread notifications. Never used that feature.

Though if you're getting notifications and not even posting...

He can just delete them all and when we get on the new server make a sticky or something about 0 post accounts being deleted and if you just need to register your account if you were newly registered or a lurker.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-15, 12:36 PM
Those 0 post accounts aren't hurting anyone.
Depends how much space their profiles are taking up in the database and how much space you can afford.

Of course, that kinda space being relatively cheap, it really only matters when we're talking huge numbers.

Of course, while we're on the subject of searching, it can also slow down searches through the member lists. Particularly when you're using an inefficient search algorithm. ;)

KeiranHalcyon
2006-10-15, 01:40 PM

I think you meant "Yes, unless something screws up" for that one. And, I hope the new forum engine supports nested quoting.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-15, 04:07 PM
And, I hope the new forum engine supports nested quoting.
Well, better than it already does.

It took me a while to find out that YaBB does support a single nest level—as long as one quote is attributed and another is not.

i.e.

You can have

This is a totally made up quote that no one ever said.

But it has a quote box!
Ain't that cool?

or

But it has a quote box!
Ain't that cool?

But not

But it has a quote box!
Ain't that cool?

or

But it has a quote box!
Ain't that cool?

See how those last two got messed up?

And just to salvage the topicality, I'm gonna say I hope the new software has better nesting capability, too. ;)

HempRope
2006-10-15, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the thread notifications. Never used that feature.

Though if you're getting notifications and not even posting...

He can just delete them all and when we get on the new server make a sticky or something about 0 post accounts being deleted and if you just need to register your account if you were newly registered or a lurker.
No one was arguing that he shouldn't delete 0-post accounts now, just in general.

Also, the issue of deleting 0-post accounts has come up before. First of all, it has been said that you cannot use the search function if you aren't registered. Rich & Ray have also said that the 0-post accounts (and accounts in general) take up a proportionately miniscule amount of storage space.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-15, 08:45 PM
Rich & Ray have also said that the 0-post accounts (and accounts in general) take up a proportionately miniscule amount of storage space.
Figured that was probably the actual case. :D