PDA

View Full Version : Cats in the sandbox

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 10:51 PM
Personally, I like dragonflies better. They seem more productive.

Cats are okay, dogs are okay too. I can never really choose.

Any thoughts about cats?

Sneak
2008-08-23, 10:53 PM
Cats are interesting. You can never really own a cat. I don't actually own two cats, I'm just their gofer.

Pocketa
2008-08-23, 10:56 PM
Cats are interesting. You can never really own a cat. I don't actually own two cats, I'm just their gofer.

True. At least the dog can bark. The family cat bites my toes as I get out of bed. It thinks that they're mice and its usually quite hungry.

Nychta
2008-08-24, 05:43 AM
I love 'my' cat. She talks.

Malek
2008-08-24, 05:54 AM
I love 'my' cat. She talks.
Bah, talk... mine open doors (no, seriously they DO open doors).

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-24, 06:35 AM
Cats make awesome paperweights and blanket warmers! :biggrin:

Of course my cat thinks that I'm the one being a blanket warmer for it.

Player_Zero
2008-08-24, 07:09 AM
Cats are cute.
Cats are good.
I wub cats.

My cat is named Tiger.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-24, 10:53 AM
Personally, I like dragonflies better.
I love you. :smalltongue:
Dragonflies are win.

Cats? I used to hate cats. Because I like birds, and cats eat birds. I was also 12 when I hated cats.

I lurves cats now. :3

Except not the one my family has. He can be a meanie and is many years overdue for a de-clawin'.

burninnapalm
2008-08-24, 11:00 AM
lol well i have a cat, but in all technicality she owns us, she has set times that she hangs with each person, and we are only there to provides warmth, food, water, and lovings... so i mean, she owns us, but i will tell you, they will know when something is wrong, because they will love on you until there is no space left on you not covered in cat hair.

dish
2008-08-24, 11:05 AM
....they well love on you until there is no space left on you not covered in cat hair.

I know that feeling very well.

My cats cannot open the doors we have (thanks be). However, they can:
a) turn on the air-conditioning, and, when my husband discovered and rectified this:
b) open the fridge door and lie around it in a semi-circle, basking in the cool air.

burninnapalm
2008-08-24, 11:14 AM
lol that reminds me of a when we had 2 cats before the older one died, when we would watch the St. Louis Cardinal games on tv (w00t for the cardinals, life long fan) my cats would drag a box to the tv, sit in it, and watch the game for its entirety, and would only get out to eat or use the litter box during the commercials. we thought it was the weirdest thing. my cat wont do that anymore for some reason, maybe because it reminds her of her sister?

and the older cat, before she died, would talk to birds, she would sit in an open window, and would not meow, but would like chipper at the birds, imagine a purr with a meow with different tones.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-24, 11:31 AM
Kittens are the only animals that can be cute, and still be complete psycopaths, killing everything that moves

Arameus
2008-08-24, 11:36 AM
You know, I've owned cats. I liked them. Got nothing against them. Love my neighbors' cats. But the idea that they somehow are unique among pets or have some sort of supremacy that makes them 'un-ownable' is so bizarre and groundless that it's much more likely it's the cat people, not the cats, that are the wingnuts.

Cats aren't any different from other pets. You buy them, contend with fur and pest issues as they come, make sure they don't poop on your floor or mess up your furniture, and you certainly make sure they can't breed without your say so. They're usually underfoot, but being cuddly makes up for it. Cats have their own needs and features, but you know what other animals do, too? All of them.

Cat people insist that cats are untrainable, usually due to the rationalization that they have an 'ego,' but then on TV you see those cats someone taught to 'play' a piano and then they insist this proves cats are smarter than dogs. These views make you think the cat put on its own little boots and hat and bought a piano to amuse itself with in its copious spare time. I'll never know why cat people feel the need to populate their home with animals they insist they have no control over and consciously contempt them as their owners.

I've owned tons of animals over the years, and had a blast with most of them: lots of dogs, lots of cats, a few fish, and a turtle that ran away. (Ungrateful reptile! *shakes fist*) Cats and dogs are definitely the most rewarding pets to own (unless you have horses, I guess), but it really is true that dogs alone possess the ability to be your 'best friend,' which is probably due to being bred to be such for about 50,000 years, and that's no exaggeration. For whatever reasons, 'dog people' and 'cat people' feel the need to distinguish between and oppose one another, and I guess cat people, lacking an animal for which they could ever make the 'friend' claim, simply ascribe their very nature as being superior to dogs and to all other animals, including cat owners, according to the testimony of many.

I like my neighbors' cats so much more than my mom's dog.... I hate that stupid thing. Give me my Labrador retriever, give me my Schnauzer, but good God please kill this piece of Shih Tzu.

burninnapalm
2008-08-24, 11:46 AM
though i understand where you are coming from, cats were raised to be royalty, back in Egypt, it was illegal for anyone that was not a noble to own a cat, they were thought to be gods in Egypt. in the medieval times, they were for nobles as well, same goes for the Asian countries. the Dog has always been used as a working class animal. so if dogs were raised to be mans best friend, is it also possible that cats were raised to be better then everyone else? i never said that i dont control the cat, but the cat acts like it controls us.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-24, 12:04 PM
Arameus, If I want to have fantasies about how awesome cats are, who are you to stop me? :smallmad::smalltongue:

EmeraldRose
2008-08-24, 12:11 PM
My cat is having issues with doors today. It seems like every time I've had to open one, he is directly behind it. The funny one was when I opened the laundry room door, and instead of just being hit with it, he launched himself thru the kitty door, and then gave me an evil look. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-24, 01:47 PM
I have three cats, I love cats. Not all cats are rulers, but most are. Two of my cats are definitely the owners though the other is too timid to be that demanding. The reasoning for the "people don't own cats, cats own people" thing is basically, cats expect to be waited on hand and foot whenever they want, other animals in my experience don't do this to the extent of cats. You might say dogs do this as well, but they are more lenient if you disagree with them. Why do you think cats so often need to be disarmed? It's because they try to put you in your place if you don't do what they want you to do. (though the one cat we have who is unarmed is very skittish and had a habit of clawing her way across anyone in her escape route)

Miklus
2008-08-24, 03:40 PM
True. At least the dog can bark. The family cat bites my toes as I get out of bed. It thinks that they're mice and its usually quite hungry.

LOL, my cat did that too, but while I was still asleep. Cats can dodge feet with amazing speed, I never even hit it once. But with the pillow afterwards... :smallamused: And it always did it at exactly 6:59 am!

You love your cat for all the funny things they do. Every time my neighbors walked their big german shepard, my cat would sit itself down right on the corner of our property. Juuuuust out of reach of the dog. Then it would give it the evil eye while the dog went nuts. There was maybe 30cm of air between them. Cats may not be the smartest aminals, but it can see if a dog is on a leash!

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-24, 07:14 PM
You love your cat for all the funny things they do. Every time my neighbors walked their big german shepard, my cat would sit itself down right on the corner of our property. Juuuuust out of reach of the dog. Then it would give it the evil eye while the dog went nuts. There was maybe 30cm of air between them. Cats may not be the smartest aminals, but it can see if a dog is on a leash!

That reminds me of an amusing story. About ten years or so back we had three cats: Hi, Yi, and Tri (the names are stories of themselves). One time my grandparents decided to come and visit and they brought their dog (a mutt, but a large one ~2ft to the shoulder). Well, we figured the cats would just stay out of the way and the dog wouldn't be in much to cause a problem. The first day Hi is sitting in the kitchen and this dog starts barking and walks over to the cat as she stares him down, he gets within inches and BAM! Hi b*tchslapped the dog across the nose (she had be disarmed) and the mutt goes whining and runs with its tail between it legs. It was hilarious and for the rest of the visit whenever any of the cats were around the dog would get as far away as possible and whimper if it was forced within 4ft of one of the cats.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-24, 08:44 PM
I adore my cat, even though it is very stupid and ugly. I sit with it on the garden wall for long periods of time on warm Sunday afternoons.

ZombieRockStar
2008-08-24, 08:50 PM
Cat people insist that cats are untrainable, usually due to the rationalization that they have an 'ego,' but then on TV you see those cats someone taught to 'play' a piano and then they insist this proves cats are smarter than dogs.

=P Cats aren't smarter than dogs. Honestly, they're quite stupid things, but I love them 'cause they really can be the most affectionate of pets (the short-haired ones...every long-haired cat I've come across has just been lazy).

Of course, most animal "temperaments" are imposed by us onto the animals, especially domesticated ones. I suppose, because cats and dogs are the two most common pets anywhere, they have the most persistent "personalities."

Anyways...I love my cats. I miss the one I got from the animal shelter last year. I only had her three months before her cancer came back with a vengeance. She was seriously the most lovable animal I've ever known :smallfrown:.

Arameus
2008-08-24, 09:22 PM
though i understand where you are coming from, cats were raised to be royalty, back in Egypt, it was illegal for anyone that was not a noble to own a cat, they were thought to be gods in Egypt. in the medieval times, they were for nobles as well, same goes for the Asian countries. the Dog has always been used as a working class animal. so if dogs were raised to be mans best friend, is it also possible that cats were raised to be better then everyone else? i never said that i dont control the cat, but the cat acts like it controls us.

Many, many breeds of dog were also raised to serve as companions for nobility, and such breeds of dogs exist around the world, and still do today. However, the most common example of feline nobility, Egyptian society, went defunct thousands of years ago. Other lesser known examples are small-scale and generally in societies that also raised breeds of dogs both for utility and high-class breeding.

I can only speculate that if a 'cat person' wants to express their love they don't really have much of an outlet to do so, other than stroking the inanimate critter for hours on end or talking your neighbors' ears off about how great cats are.

'Dog people,' however, can go in the backyard and roughhouse and play and generally just mess around. Oh, to have good ol' Daniel back... Like a big brother he was.

Arameus, If I want to have fantasies about how awesome cats are, who are you to stop me? :smallmad::smalltongue:

No one, which is why I make no attempt to do so. :smalltongue: But if my explanation of why I don't can so easily fracture your enjoyment, it must be very fragile indeed! :smallwink:

What I really feel strongly about, though, is my long-lost turtle. Oh, turtle, we hardly knew ye...

See, we found this turtle. I was still young enough that any animal I could catch was a potential pet, and a turtle seemed like as good a candidate as any. They're a reptile, but they're on the level, you know? No fangs, not scaly, not slow so much as methodical. And they don't shed. Never have I seen a turtle leave masses of old shells lying all over my couch. Those are only the ponderings of hindsight, however; my thoughts at the time were along the lines of 'Turtle! Turtle! Turtle!'

So I got this turtle. And at the same time, we had this Super Mario Bros. Glitter Paint Set. (LOL WUT) So, in the forty-eight hours or so we had him, my brother and I painted his shell all these wonderful glittery colors and patterns. He cooperated very well. I imagine a cat or a dog would absolutely hate that, a testament to my shelled brethren's stoic dignity.

So I left him on the back patio. 'It's a turtle,' I thought. 'Can't possibly get far.' But sure enough, it seems like I had only to blink my eyes and I never saw it again. And I was sad about that.

But I know in my heart of hearts that we were with him in spirit all the days of his life; that, returning to his kind with his glorious new shell, he was as a king unto turtles, and that he truly lived out the rest of his days among all the most beautiful specimens the whole harem of turtle-kind could lavish upon him. I like to think that I had performed a great service not only to him but to his kind as a whole, for surely he must have thought I had released him on purpose, to use his human-granted benediction for the prosperity of his line, and that he never forgot this unintentional blessing from humanity. Truly throughout all the woods and lowlands of West Tennessee there are still whispered tales of the Dynast-Turtle and the mighty clan with which he saw that all his brethren prospered and live even to this day with magnanimity towards the lumbering bipeds just beyond their realm.

Bhu
2008-08-25, 01:10 AM
My family are definitely cat people. We've always owned cats. I'd have one now if hte landlady would let me.

Ilena
2008-08-25, 11:50 AM
Myself, ive had cats dogs fish and horses, love my cats and dogs but my heart is with horses, for me, cats seem a more bosy type then dogs, dogs just love the attention, cats want it when they want it and if they dont then they get pissed off ... horses are a completely differnt story, they love the attention and food but you have to earn their respect for you,unlike dogs who love you no matter what really, and cats who i get the feeling never view you at the same level as them, this comes from cats are solitary preditors, dogs are pack animals, and horses are herd animals, dogs and horses follow a leader and cats follow themselves

dish
2008-08-25, 01:05 PM
A cuddle of cats:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/dishuiguanyin/DSC00221.jpg

Santana the kitten at 6 weeks:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/dishuiguanyin/DSC00419.jpg She's pure white, but had food stains around her mouth.

Player_Zero
2008-08-25, 01:22 PM
Awwwwwwww...

...I'm gonna' miss my cat when I go to uni next month...

dish
2008-08-25, 01:24 PM
The cat will miss you too. Although she'll probably let you know it by either ignoring you or destroying some of your possessions.

wxdruid
2008-08-25, 01:27 PM
I have two cats...both have distinctive personalities.

I adopted Jessie from the base vet, she's a soft short hair brown brown tabby with a cute little mustache. It makes her always look surprised. She's quiet and usually runs away from catlover.

I adopted Kenja from the next door neighbor, she had 5 cats, 3 cats over the limit for base housing and her house stunk! He's a dark grey/white tuxedo cat. I had to help Kenja get over a small health problem and now he's the king of the house. He thinks he's a dog. He greets people at the door, plays fetch, licks people, jumps in their laps and sometimes he farts. He'll use his greater weight to get Jessie off the top perch of the cat tree. Kenja is a lap cat and enjoys the attention.

I have taught both of my cats not to sleep on my bed. They have their own cat beds they can use.

Killersquid
2008-08-25, 01:30 PM
I have 2 cats, one is a gray persian with a lighter gray underbelly (VERY fluffy), and the other is a cat we found in the rain under a tree, she's black with white paws and belly. We don't actually know her breed.

dish
2008-08-25, 01:33 PM
I have taught both of my cats not to sleep on my bed. They have their own cat beds they can use.

Mine also have cat beds. Sadly, they are not as well trained as your cats. (I think the dog uses the cat beds most in this household.)

Ayya the Fearsome
2008-08-25, 02:24 PM
I have 5 cats! Minnie,an abysinian; D4, a tabby; Rascal, a black cat(oooo! unlucky!); Smokey, a gray cat; and Henry, an ooooooollllllddddd gray cat, he's like' 18~! Henry died last night.... :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Minnie bites me when I'm wet. :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2008-08-25, 03:05 PM
The cat will miss you too. Although she'll probably let you know it by either ignoring you or destroying some of your possessions.

I'm more worried about her rather than anything else though... She's an old cat. :smallfrown:

Fawkes
2008-08-25, 03:12 PM
Our cat hates us. But we feed her, so she sticks around.

Mad Scientist
2008-08-25, 04:43 PM
I adopted a "free to good home" longhair tuxedo cat three years ago. Buddy is the most snuggly cat/personal assistant. He sleeps on the bed, sits on my lap while I eat breakfast, and wants to be next to me/on top of what ever I'm working on at all times. I think he was up for adoption due to 1) small health issue 2) he's "aggressively affectionate" (will gently bite your arm to remind you to pet him) and 3) the couple had a toddler. I'm thrilled he's mine now. I know all cats have quirks, but he has a really odd one. Buddy has a foot fetish. He loves to sleep on my shoes and will sniff and lick my feet when I get home. It's really weird.

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-26, 10:35 AM
I just Stumbled upon this awesome video on youtube that shows just how awesome cats are! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvo-g_JvURI)

Player_Zero
2008-08-26, 10:41 AM
I just Stumbled upon this awesome video on youtube that shows just how awesome cats are! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvo-g_JvURI)

Those are some cool cats.

..Except for the one where the guy picks up the cat and throws it at the ceiling... What was up with that?

burninnapalm
2008-08-26, 11:52 AM
oh man, i liked the one where the cat goes in to a vase... i am like... how is that possible?

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-26, 12:17 PM
oh man, i liked the one where the cat goes in to a vase... i am like... how is that possible?

Cats are cool enough to break the laws of Physics :smalltongue:

Personally my favorite is the cat chasing the black bear.

evisiron
2008-08-26, 03:57 PM
My girlfriend infected me with the "Awww, kitty!" virus, although she claims it was already there and just awakened by seeing her cat.

They are fickle and potentially destructive, but damn they are cute sometimes!

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-26, 05:19 PM
I have 5 cats! Minnie,an abysinian; D4, a tabby; Rascal, a black cat(oooo! unlucky!); Smokey, a gray cat; and Henry, an ooooooollllllddddd gray cat, he's like' 18~! Henry died last night.... :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Minnie bites me when I'm wet. :smalltongue:

I'm sorry about the loss, I remember how heartbroken I was when my old cat died. I'm sure Henry had a happy life. *hug*

Manoftyr
2008-08-26, 05:21 PM
I adore cats...I used to have four, but two of them passed...one rather recently.

Jassimine who is a classic applehead Siamese and Smokey who we're not sure of exactly, we found her stranded, but she looks alot like a Russian Blue

Bhu
2008-08-27, 05:43 AM

Addin' this one to the youtube collection! Many thanks!

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-27, 10:07 AM
As an true Ailurophile I have a "Stumble Cats" on my browser to alleviate boredom and this result is pretty fascinating (http://www.cats.alpha.pl/facts.htm), a lot of interesting cat facts and some advice thrown in for treating your cat and interpreting him/her.

...and then there is the "funny because its true" Halmarks of Felinity (http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~osbodr01/hallmarks/hallmark00.html).

burninnapalm
2008-08-27, 04:11 PM
Henry, an ooooooollllllddddd gray cat, he's like' 18~! Henry died last night.... :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

sorry ayya... i know it feels bad when you lose a cat. it is like a family member.

Lyesmith
2008-08-27, 04:37 PM
We have a proper moggy tabbycat, and we love him. Sometimes. He seems to have stopped hunting lately, though, which is good. No more dead birds to find!

Phae Nymna
2008-08-27, 05:29 PM
I love them. To death. Except not. I love cats. I take care of them. Yay. They do not die because of me. Believe it. Lovely creatures, no? I have a slutcat too... Rambling tales of cats. Splendid.

CATS:

Miles "Pee-brain"

He marks his territory. A lot. As long as he doesn't come into contact with anything bearing decent amounts of testosterone, he's alright. (My room is always closed.)

Belle "Fatso"

She weighs a single metric ton. Or rather, at least 16+ lbs.

Samancy "The Rainbow Cat"

The rainbow thing comes from my neighbour's insufferable 5 year old daughter. Samancy is a calico, and a very small one at that.

Pygmy Puff "Psycho"

Itty bitty Bombay looking cat. As it turns out, a total schizophrenic, sometime nuzzling your calf and the next moment, she'll be tearing off your face.

Buttercup Fluffpants "Slutcat"

She is living proof that silly names for cats can be too silly. Also, a total whore who struts around the entire neighbourhood, being pet, fed, and groomed by absolute strangers.

Kimusabe
2008-08-28, 01:43 AM
The Cat that lives in my house absolutely hates my soul, it scratches me, bites me, attacks me, wakes me up, it goes out of its way to hate me. It's just how it is, I don't know why. and to make it even wierder, she absolutely adores everyone else, every single person I can think of that has been anywhere near it, it loves. Therefore 'my' Cat is rather strange.

However, I do still like cats, just can't get along with my own.

Bhu
2008-08-29, 07:49 PM
Because everyone loves kittens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQ6CO69WH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJQCXvBqrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ubq4hcMVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7s8gsJ7bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezLv_W79O3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbRljNwZ7yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIA4H24ZG4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYt_gnGogSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CEl2X7OecM