PDA

View Full Version : OA Anime Characters

Jack Zander
2008-08-24, 12:34 AM
My DM is doing an OA campaign, and all of us players have decided to base our characters off of common Anime (American Anime included) characters. I was thinking of doing Ash Ketchum. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to pull this off? So far I think either Wu Jen with a focus in summoning, or Shaman with the same focus (and pikachu animal companion) would be the best. Shaman with it's animal companion seems a better fit, but the Shaman class itself is too strong for Ash, a weakling 12 year old who can't do anything without his Pikachu.

Are there any other characters I should consider? We've already got Inuyasha (Hengeyokai [Dog] Samurai). I could do Ankg (or however his weirdo name is spelled) as a Shugenja (Focus in Air), or a Dragon Ball character as a monk (though I'd never quite reach power level 9000 unless we went into Epic).

These have to be characters that can be modeled in fantasy anime. No Cowboy Bebop or Gundam characters.

I would actually like to play Tenchi, but as a fighter he's actually quite sucky. He'd probably be a commoner with a really sweet lightsaber.

ZekeArgo
2008-08-24, 12:50 AM
Heh, my first off the cuff, semi-cheeky idea is: "Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms, IK Pistoleer PrC, if Male: Vash the Stampeed of Trigun fame. if female: Rushuna Tendo of Grenadier"

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-24, 01:11 AM
Play the Slayers crew. They're pretty much a D&D party anyhow (well, it was AD&D back then...)

Actually, Slayers might just be too western-fantasy-themed to do in OA.

As far as Samurai anime, I like some parts of the Rurouni Kenshin franchise. And don't count out all mecha anime just because "it's in the future". There's an awful lot of would-be samurai and martial artists piloting super robots...

Knaight
2008-08-24, 01:32 AM
Aang would probably be easiest, just have a multiclass character with the wizard, rogue, and fighter equivalents.

Waspinator
2008-08-24, 02:12 AM
Edward Elric. Modified Warlock:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=498216

JeminiZero
2008-08-24, 02:20 AM
Gundo Musashi.

Make a Diplomancer and pass her off as Lacus Clyne.

Make Pun Pun and pass her off as Suzimiya Haruhi.

More seriously:

-Any of the FSN servants with appropriate classes. (Archer might have levels in Bloodstorm blade)

-Warforged Caster of some sort: Alphonse Elric

-Human batman female wizard: Yuki Nagato.

-Female Warblade with Fiend blood of some sort (e.g. Tiefling, Bloodline or Legacy): any of the Claymore crew

Starsinger
2008-08-24, 02:36 AM
Gah... I know this isn't the kind of thing you're supposed to talk about but... try the BESM d20 book?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-24, 02:39 AM
I think we're really more talking about setting than system, here.

(Also, BESM d20? Do Not Want.)

Although I should probably plug the Slayers d20 RPG, since I brought up the series.

Starsinger
2008-08-24, 02:42 AM
(Also, BESM d20? Do Not Want.)

I know... *Hands head in shame* But... but... he wanted Ash Ketchum. The fact that they have a "Cute Monster Trainer" base class... And.. :smallsigh:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-24, 02:45 AM
So he should just play BESM Tri-Stat and do it the hard yet much more rewarding way. Or better yet, Mutants & Masterminds, which is the same point-based idea only d20 and a different damage system.

Starsinger
2008-08-24, 02:48 AM
See, that's not the same as just using BESM d20 as a Splatbook for an OA game.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-24, 02:53 AM
But you can't if you're playing D&D. They're totally different systems that just happen to have the same basic resolution mechanic and Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha. It's like trying to cross D&D and d20 Modern: totally unworkable conflicts of classes and abilities.

Borrow some feats, maybe...

ZekeArgo
2008-08-24, 03:50 AM
Doesn't the smoky confinement spell already let you play a wizard as a pokemon trainer?

Tengu_temp
2008-08-24, 04:42 AM
Heh, my first off the cuff, semi-cheeky idea is: "Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms, IK Pistoleer PrC, if Male: Vash the Stampeed of Trigun fame. if female: Rushuna Tendo of Grenadier"

Don't forget Merciful Strike (or what was the name of that feat) and Vow of Nonviolence!

Conners
2008-08-24, 06:03 AM
I know this is a stupid question, but: What's "OA"? It sounds good, and I might consider getting it.

ZekeArgo
2008-08-24, 06:11 AM
I know this is a stupid question, but: What's "OA"? It sounds good, and I might consider getting it.

Oriental Adventures, 3.0 Legend of the Five Rings inspired campaign setting.

DeathQuaker
2008-08-24, 08:00 AM
I agree with Kenshin.

Tenchi will also work, actually... he is competent enough with a sword, and the whole chosen-of-the-gods thing.... if OA has something paladinesque or divine championy that should suit. Yosho from the same series if you want more of a true warrior.

For something fun, Jubei Chan. (Another samurai character, with a transformation sequence.)

If you're doing OA, I'd be interested in trying to stick to the animes that actually reference Japanese ancient culture and history.

If you just want to play anime characters from anywhere, the other posters are right--just use a different system better tailored to reflect anime physics and tropes.