PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge

Zakama
2008-08-24, 01:32 AM
Anyone else psyched for this game? I think it looks fantastic, and it's just another reason for me to buy an Xbox finally.

The Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror%27s_Edge

Be sure to check out the trailers on Youtube too.

Jibar
2008-08-24, 02:37 AM
Shockingly, I am.
Mostly because it's a first person shooter with something God damn interesting about it.

Zakama
2008-08-24, 01:42 PM
Shockingly, I am.
Mostly because it's a first person shooter with something God damn interesting about it.

I heard (not sure from where) that you can go through the whole game without firing a bullet, and there's an achievement for it, so I'm slow to call it an fps.

Setra
2008-08-24, 01:43 PM
Bah, I've been waiting for it before it was popular to wait for it. >.>

Well at least a couple months ago, if not some time last year. Lemme check.

Sneak
2008-08-24, 01:49 PM
I heard (not sure from where) that you can go through the whole game without firing a bullet, and there's an achievement for it, so I'm slow to call it an fps.

Huh.

Just from briefly glancing at the wikipedia page and hearing this, it reminds of Deus Ex. Mind you, I've never actually played Deus Ex, unfortunately...but it still reminds me of it.

Anyway, the game seems interesting.

Setra
2008-08-24, 02:04 PM
Huh.

Just from briefly glancing at the wikipedia page and hearing this, it reminds of Deus Ex. Mind you, I've never actually played Deus Ex, unfortunately...but it still reminds me of it.

Anyway, the game seems interesting.

It's free on gametap

Tom_Violence
2008-08-25, 05:09 AM
This game kinda struck me as a weird, but potentially fairly decent, cash in on the recent fad obsession with free running (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_running). And I think after all the stupid little videos that TV has been flooded with of this stuff these days I'm getting a little sick of seeing it really.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-25, 05:52 AM
I find this (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/22/) to be worth mentioning.

Bryn
2008-08-25, 06:14 AM
Agreed with all who think this game looks fantastic. I always enjoyed games featuring freerunning (or is it parkour? I can't remember the difference between them...), the story looks interesting, and it's definitely different. I just hope it will turn out as good as it looks.

Tom_Violence
2008-08-25, 06:27 AM
freerunning (or is it parkour? I can't remember the difference between them...)

According to the glorious Wikipedia, identical they be!

DemonicAngel
2008-08-25, 06:35 AM
As a free runner and as a PC only user, I am very happy this game comes out for the computer (; now just to upgrade my computer, and get back to shape considering I haven't worked out on any free running sessions in a while.

Jibar
2008-08-25, 07:53 AM
According to the glorious Wikipedia, identical they be!

When I asked one of my friends who regularly does parkour (and has almost got arrested for it a couple times; Climbing onto a bank roof is not a good idea apparently) he said free running was just the sport, while parkour was the philosophical side.
I have no idea who to believe, but eh. That's what he reckons.

Quinsar
2008-08-25, 08:24 AM
This game looks weird... Playable... And pretty cool working; but the developers could screw it up, really easy...

13_CBS
2008-08-25, 11:26 AM
When I asked one of my friends who regularly does parkour (and has almost got arrested for it a couple times; Climbing onto a bank roof is not a good idea apparently) he said free running was just the sport, while parkour was the philosophical side.
I have no idea who to believe, but eh. That's what he reckons.

IIRC, one deals with getting from Point A to Point B in the most efficient way possible, while the other deals with getting from Point A to Point B in an artistic, acrobatic way.

AmberVael
2008-08-25, 11:31 AM
IIRC, one deals with getting from Point A to Point B in the most efficient way possible, while the other deals with getting from Point A to Point B in an artistic, acrobatic way.

From what I've read, this is the correct interpretation.

Parkour is the efficient, refined art that is more like a martial arts.
Freerunning is more artful and flashy.
However, due to their common elements, the terms are often used interchangeably.

Anywho.
I've been psyched about this game for a while. It puts the emphasis on acrobatics, which is a game element I'm really fond of.

13_CBS
2008-08-25, 11:54 AM
I'm hoping that there's an option to turn the red lines off. Nothing breaks immersion more than an indication that blatantly goes, "GO THIS WAY GO THIS WAY GO THIS WAY".

Jibar
2008-08-25, 12:00 PM
I believe that the lines will be an option as part of some intuition sense that you activate at will. So you don't have to have them show up if you don't want them.
Apparantly later on, it'll become even less useful anyway, with fewer objects showing up red forcing you to rely on your own intuition more.

Tom_Violence
2008-08-25, 12:10 PM

Well, I only know what Wikipedia tells me, and it tells me that both the founder and the first practitioners say they're one and the same, and just different terms for identical things. But I guess people can call stuff whatever they want.

As for the issue of the big red lines telling you where to go, I remain on the fence. To a large extent it depends on how well they've put a lot of the other aspects of the game together. Obviously too many red bits will just make the game into a very elaborate version of join the dots, but without them they wouldn't be able to throw in any 'leap of faith' sections, and if they haven't found a good way of dealing with the player messing up (e.g. Prince of Persia's ingenious rewind) then not knowing where you're going might lead to a lot of frustration, especialyl since the environments look pretty complicated.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-25, 12:24 PM
I shall have to think about getting this. Probably stretch my limited funds, what with the other 50 bajillion awesome games coming out this fall, but I shall look into it. I love free-running games.

Calvin33
2008-08-26, 01:40 PM
I shall have to think about getting this. Probably stretch my limited funds, what with the other 50 bajillion awesome games coming out this fall, but I shall look into it. I love free-running games.

I'd rent the games since there are so many of them:smallbiggrin: but mirror's edge looks like a buy, for me:smalltongue:

Bryn
2008-08-26, 07:02 PM
From what I've read, this is the correct interpretation.

Parkour is the efficient, refined art that is more like a martial arts.
Freerunning is more artful and flashy.
However, due to their common elements, the terms are often used interchangeably.

(Also to everyone else responding to this, but I haven't really got room to quote everyone here :smallcool:)

Thanks for reminding me, that's consistent with what I vaguely remembered. In any case, I always enjoy games featuring parkour or freerunning, and it will be very interesting to see how they can convey the momentum and everything in first person.

mathieumg
2008-09-05, 12:56 PM
I have also been waiting for this game for a while now. It looks really promising, I hope it doesn't disappoint...also its published by EA, needless to say more. :smalleek:

itsmeyouidiot
2008-09-08, 02:10 PM

Wasn't Metroid Prime dubbed a "first-person adventure?" I have to say, that's exactly what I keep thinking when I see this game.

It's too extensive and non-combat oriented to be an fps, but instead of focusing on exploration and puzzle-solving like Prime, it focuses on movement and precarious acrobatic stunts. It's more accurately described as a first-person platformer.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-09-08, 02:14 PM
This is so awesome-looking. The graphics, the gameplay...oh, yes. If I played video games regularly, I'd get this.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-08, 03:33 PM

Yeah but you can do the same in Half Life 2 Episode 1 (and there IS an acheivement for it) but I'd still call it an FPS

chiasaur11
2008-09-08, 04:00 PM
Wasn't Metroid Prime dubbed a "first-person adventure?" I have to say, that's exactly what I keep thinking when I see this game.

It's too extensive and non-combat oriented to be an fps, but instead of focusing on exploration and puzzle-solving like Prime, it focuses on movement and precarious acrobatic stunts. It's more accurately described as a first-person platformer.

Yeah, it seems not very shooty.
More punchy and runy.

Looks kinda fun.

Tamburlaine
2008-09-08, 04:46 PM
I think it looks pretty good so far, though I should probably reserve judgement 'til it's out. It reminds me of portal in the way it uses the first person format for something other than shooting. Variety can only be a good thing right?