PDA

View Full Version : Stonechild, is it worth it?

metalbear
2008-08-24, 12:36 PM
I am a big fan of Races of Stone, and the Goliath race in particular. What I was wondering though is if all the bonuses and benefits of the Stonechild race is worth the +4 LA and an ECL of 6? Also, for a gestalt campaign what builds would help me make the most of the Stonechild's natural abilities? I'm currently thinking a cleric/fighter build with taking the LA on the fighter side.

Person_Man
2008-08-25, 10:28 AM
No. LA is rarely worth it (notably exceptions: Mineral Warrior, Feral, a few others). Even if you only take one level of the racial class, losing 1HD, the Skills, Saves, and potential class abilities is not worth +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha, Darkvision, and immunity to Acid and Poison. You're better off with a Dwarf or Orc.

celestialkin
2008-08-25, 10:47 AM
Depends. Are you wanting to play it for mechanics, or are you wanting to play it for roleplaying?

If you are doing gestalt I am guessing the answer is mechanics.

Ascension
2008-08-25, 10:57 AM
LA isn't so bad in gestalt. In a normal campaign I'd advise against it, but every gestalt campaign I've known of has encouraged unusual builds... after all, a gestalt campaign is often your only chance to do really zany stuff without totally gimping your character in the process.

Bassetking
2008-08-25, 09:20 PM
Stonechild is a traaaaaaaaaaap. Do not fall for its sexy allure; those stat-boosts are vastly outstripped by the class-features you would be giving up.

Thurbane
2008-08-25, 09:27 PM
OT: Love the av and sig, Bassetking. :thog: