PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Thread Bug and More

Daedrous Avari
2006-10-08, 08:32 PM
There's a bug on the thread that makes it so we can't see the next page until the second to last post on that page. Then the page shows.

I think it's partly because of all the site traffic. Perhaps the Giant should purchase some more GB's?

Blood
2006-10-08, 08:56 PM
This along with all the other bugs and lag caused (I think) from traffic. :(

NEO|Phyte
2006-10-08, 09:02 PM
There's a bug on the thread that makes it so we can't see the next page until the second to last post on that page. Then the page shows.

I think it's partly because of all the site traffic. Perhaps the Giant should purchase some more GB's?
The page bug has been around long before the recent bandwidth issues.
Ray has posted technobabble to the effect of it being caused by simuposting.

PhoeKun
2006-10-08, 09:14 PM
Except that it isn't. I've observed the page bug in question with a 27 minute gap in between the last post on a given page and the next, "bugged" post.

Furthermore, each of the posts on that page took place between 2 people, and each had at least a 5 minute gap, all but eliminating the possibilty of a race condition.

In conclusion, I think I know what it ain't, but darned if I know what it am.

V: I'm saying that I believe the explanation we've received in the previous iterations of this thread is incorrect.

HempRope
2006-10-08, 09:20 PM
There have already been at least three threads on this topic...

I'm not gonna go hunt them down with all these traffic problems, but please go read them for answers, or the closet thing you'll get.

Sneak
2006-10-09, 07:41 AM
Eekses!

I'm not sure, but the bug may be up to 15 posts! It's simply impossible to post in the town with that awful...thing. Grrr.

And I, like others, don't think it's caused by simu-posting. I don't know what it is, but I'm fairly certain what it isn't.

Don Beegles
2006-10-09, 09:50 AM
The trouble is, as far as I'm able to understand Raw's explanation, not exactly simuposting but a 'race condition' whic resembles simu posting but doesn't actually have to happen right in a row. Or something like that.

Kantur
2006-10-09, 10:25 AM
I believe, though could easily be wrong, that it was basically that when you start a reply, it's marked as the next post in a thread (e.g. 313 posts before, you're new reply's marked as 314 when you open the reply page) and that for the most part it doesn't matter if someone gets in before you and that 'post marker' (for lack of a better or more technical term) normally changes, but sometimes doesn't so you can end up with the forum thinking Reply 315 is actually 314 (and hence no new page), despite it actually being 315.

Look at Trog's Tavern in the town for an example;
Right at this minute, the forum for the town declares 407 Replies, but if you look in the thread, it's actually 425 if you hit reply scroll down and work out how many are hidden (The current pages show only 419)

Now lets hope someone who can actually explain it arrives...

Flabbicus
2006-10-09, 10:26 AM
I believe, though could easily be wrong, that it was basically that when you start a reply, it's marked as the next post in a thread (e.g. 313 posts before, you're new reply's marked as 314 when you open the reply page) and that for the most part it doesn't matter if someone gets in before you and that 'post marker' (for lack of a better or more technical term) normally changes, but sometimes doesn't so you can end up with the forum thinking Reply 315 is actually 314 (and hence no new page), despite it actually being 315.

Look at Trog's Tavern in the town for an example;
Right at this minute, the forum for the town declares 407 Replies, but if you look in the thread, it's actually 425 if you hit reply scroll down and work out how many are hidden (The current pages show only 419)

Now lets hope someone who can actually explain it arrives...

I think that's about what RawBear said

Kyrian
2006-10-09, 10:31 AM
And I, like others, don't think it's caused by simu-posting. I don't know what it is, but I'm fairly certain what it isn't.

It can't be caused by simu-posting....well, it could, but it's also happened in cases where the posts were minutes apart, and at least once where the two posts were over an hour apart.

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-09, 12:32 PM
It's almost definitely not caused by simu-posting. It happens too often. Every new page in RB, just about. But it does seem to only hit high-traffic threads like Trog's and Random Banter.

This isn't new, though. I've noticed it a few times in some of the SMBGs a while ago, but it seems to have disappeared from there.

Has anybody noticed that it's been getting worse? I just tried to kill it twice in RB and it still wouldn't work. (killing meaning posting again so it works).

Between this and the server problems, the board is rapidly becoming unusable for some of us.