PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Archmage- power-house?

Blackdrop
2008-08-24, 10:34 PM
Specifically concerning their feature Archspell and the Battlemage daily power Closing Spell.

General plan of attack is this: you burn through all of your daily spells and for the rest of the day you 8d10 damage for every encounter.

Anyone else thinking this is a little, um, overpowered? Specifically because no other power currently in game can do that kind of damage.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-24, 10:40 PM
Specifically concerning their feature Archspell and the Battlemage daily power Closing Spell.

General plan of attack is this: you burn through all of your daily spells and for the rest of the day you 8d10 damage for every encounter.

Anyone else thinking this is a little, um, overpowered? Specifically because no other power currently in game can do that kind of damage.

With High Arcana and Arcane Disciple feat Luck Domain you can cast No Experience Miracles 2/Day as a spell-like ability. (Plus the third one as a bonus domain spell)

Edit sorry I missed the 4E and just focused on the Arch Mage since it is so rarely mentioned:smallsmile:

Edea
2008-08-24, 10:44 PM
With High Arcana and Arcane Disciple feat Luck Domain you can cast No Experience Miracles 2/Day as a spell-like ability. (Plus the third one as a bonus domain spell)

.....Gbuh? What edition are you in?

TheOOB
2008-08-24, 10:47 PM

Keep in mind, it's a level 30 ability, you are supposed to get a seriously broken overpowered ability at level 30.

Chronicled
2008-08-24, 10:48 PM
.....Gbuh? What edition are you in?

I'm surprised this hasn't happened more frequently. It certainly gave me a chuckler.

Dhavaer
2008-08-24, 10:50 PM
No, you're thinking of Danger Mouse.

Yeah, Archspell is cool. I'm not sure it's really broken, though. If it's okay on Legion's Hold...

Edea
2008-08-24, 10:52 PM
It's preferable to either use Archspell on a Daily that 'lasts until the end of the encounter' anyway, or on a Daily so completely battle-reversing doing it 1/enc is worth it even if it's a one-turn effect (see Legion's Hold).

Dhavaer
2008-08-24, 11:02 PM
Thinking about it further, I don't think that any trick that requires you to blow all your dailies in the first encounter could be really gamebreaking.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-25, 01:10 AM

Meh, I'd prefer multiclassing warlock and wizard, and going Archmage from there.

Hurl through Hell will deal 7d10+3d6 (assuming warlock's curse), negates the target's actions for a round, and leaves it prone and stunned (save ends). Granted, it's a single-target effect, though.

Dhavaer
2008-08-25, 01:20 AM
Meh, I'd prefer multiclassing warlock and wizard, and going Archmage from there.

Would the Wizard multiclass feat qualify you for Archmage? I'd think it should, but I seem to remember a statement that it doesn't because MC feats qualify for Paragon Paths but not Epic Destinies.

RTGoodman
2008-08-25, 01:32 AM
Would the Wizard multiclass feat qualify you for Archmage? I'd think it should, but I seem to remember a statement that it doesn't because MC feats qualify for Paragon Paths but not Epic Destinies.

Yeah, by RAW you can't access Epic Destinies through multiclass feats.

A character who has taken a class-specific multiclass feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths.

I don't know if that's intentional or just a typo (and I don't believe it was changed in the errata), but for now it doesn't work. I'd probably allow it, though.

EDIT @\/: Yeah, I just thought to look at that. Nothing in the Archmage's abilities says anything about "Wizard," except the prerequisite. It just talks about "arcane spells" or similar.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-25, 01:32 AM

Not sure if MC feats allow access to ED's. I really don't see why not, especially since Wizards are the only class with special one.

Furthermore, the only archmage ability with a special power requirement other than 'spell' is Shape Magic, which says 'arcane power' rather than 'wizard power'. That would lead me to conclude that the designers weren't necessarily meaning the ED to be restricted to wizards only. None deal with implements or spellbooks in any way, either. Other than fluff and the 'arcane' requirement, there's nothing in the ED that would be useless/nonsensical for virtually any caster-type.