PDA

View Full Version : New Age Sports

DemonicAngel
2008-08-25, 07:59 AM
Yes guys and gals, you know what I'm tlaking about. Parkour/free running, street stunts, tricking and other such sports are considerd new age, having a huge hype about them, and are in a lot of common media.

I am, for once, trying to learn to do some tricking while being a novice free runner.

my best free running experience was probably when we did a king of the hill style game in a 'dead' construction site. each got a different color spray and we needed to tag a number of item, usually unreachable without some free running.
Never ever try to compete with pros. never. I lost by so many points.

so yeah, does any of you guys doing stuff like that? had any funny or cool moments which relate?

EDIT: this might need a bump and a change to friendly banter. my bad.

DemonicAngel
2008-08-26, 03:54 PM
Sorry for double post, but can this be moved to friendly banter? I wasent sure where this belongs.

Gaelbert
2008-08-27, 07:18 PM
I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds interesting. What is this "free running" you speak of?
And my guess would be that this would go in Other Games, although there are a few sports discussion threads in Friendly Banter.

LordVader
2008-08-27, 07:36 PM
Free Running works like it does in Urban Dead, interestingly enough.

From what I've seen of it you just run around cities and hop over things, jump across buildings, stuff like that, the same way you move in UD.

averagejoe
2008-08-27, 07:39 PM
Parkour is neat, I've been looking into it myself, but what makes it new age? I've never heard of that before.

RTGoodman
2008-08-27, 07:47 PM
I had a bunch of friends in college that did the parkour thing. Basically, it's running around and jumping off of things and stuff, sort of like skateboarding but without the skateboard?

Parkour is neat, I've been looking into it myself, but what makes it new age? I've never heard of that before.

I don't know about "new age," but maybe that's just a keyword for "new-ish sport that focuses less on competition than do older, traditional sports." But that's just me making up stuff that sounds good - I have no idea, really.

averagejoe
2008-08-27, 08:05 PM
I don't know about "new age," but maybe that's just a keyword for "new-ish sport that focuses less on competition than do older, traditional sports." But that's just me making up stuff that sounds good - I have no idea, really.

Well, the New Age tends to refer to the spirituality and belief systems tied to the coming of the age of Aquarius and all that portends.

Tirian
2008-08-27, 11:27 PM
First off, the adjective you are looking for is "extreme". :smalltongue:

Parkour is much deeper than folks have mentioned so far, sort of like saying that karate is all about breaking boards with your hand. The philosphy is about traversing obstacles with the minimal loss of momentum, like having a military obstacle course in an urban setting. Here are some good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhgIdP3l3I) samples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIw3cv8Zls). "Skateboarding without a skateboard" is more like tricking.