PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and ... spoilers

Fish
2008-08-25, 05:39 PM
Just a minute here. Something just occurred to me.

We have one dead character (Roy) and another who might soon be dead (Belkar).

We have one pregnant character.

Does the Reincarnation spell still exist? Is it possible that Roy or Belkar will be reincarnated as this new child? Or is that just too bizarre?

Remirach
2008-08-25, 05:46 PM
Surely you wouldn't want to saddle Kazumi and Daigo with a reincarnated Belkar? That seems rather unnecessarily cruel.

But they seem to think the child is a born monk, so possibly it could be... oh dear god no.

Forealms
2008-08-25, 05:57 PM
Surely you wouldn't want to saddle Kazumi and Daigo with a reincarnated Belkar? That seems rather unnecessarily cruel.

But they seem to think the child is a born monk, so possibly it could be... oh dear god no.

:smalleek:

Please don't go there. Please. I am begging you.

Axl_Rose
2008-08-25, 06:00 PM
Hooray for the return of Miko!

T-O-E
2008-08-25, 06:02 PM
Hooray for the return of Miko!

Don't even joke about that! :smalleek:

Theodoriph
2008-08-25, 06:09 PM
Just a minute here. Something just occurred to me.

We have one dead character (Roy) and another who might soon be dead (Belkar).

We have one pregnant character.

Does the Reincarnation spell still exist? Is it possible that Roy or Belkar will be reincarnated as this new child? Or is that just too bizarre?

To what purpose exactly? The OOTS don't have 20 years to wait for Belkar or Roy. Xykon needs to be stopped NOW.

kpenguin
2008-08-25, 06:10 PM

My god!

Kazumi's baby might be the reincarnation of the monk who was turned down by Roy in OtOoPCs!

Occasional Sage
2008-08-25, 07:31 PM
To what purpose exactly? The OOTS don't have 20 years to wait for Belkar or Roy. Xykon needs to be stopped NOW.

And there's the answer to the thread.

However....

Yes.

Yes it could be.

Daigo and Kazumi's baby is the reincarnation of the Giamonk thread.

Teron
2008-08-25, 09:39 PM
Reincarnation doesn't work that way. When cast, it immediately brings back the deceased as a young adult of a random race.

Ryzorrin
2008-08-25, 10:28 PM
Reincarnation doesn't work that way. When cast, it immediately brings back the deceased as a young adult of a random race.

So, the odds that it would randomly be Daigo and Kazumi's infant baby is what? A million to one? :smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2008-08-25, 10:44 PM
So, the odds that it would randomly be Daigo and Kazumi's infant baby is what? A million to one? :smallbiggrin:

No, Zero.

As mentioned, Reincarnation brings the dead back as an adult member of a random race. It does not cause you to be born naturally, from anyone.

Emanick
2008-08-26, 12:41 AM
No, Zero.

As mentioned, Reincarnation brings the dead back as an adult member of a random race. It does not cause you to be born naturally, from anyone.

Well, gosh. Thanks spoiling a perfectly good thread. :smallmad:
It was all fun and amusing till you came in. :smallfrown:

Teron
2008-08-26, 04:54 AM
Sorry for derailing the thread with reason. Hang on, I can fix it. Belkar: reincarnated bugbear? Discuss.

T-O-E
2008-08-26, 09:14 AM
This thread isn't about discussing the spell, it's about the possibility. What if ____ was reincarnated into the child of ___ and ___.

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 09:18 AM
Bad Miko! Stinky Miko!

Flickerdart
2008-08-26, 09:32 AM
Daigo and Kazumi's baby is the resurrection of the Giamonk thread.
I'm quoting that. Except for a minor edit so it makes sense.

David Argall
2008-08-26, 02:24 PM

The spell works that way. The natural process has the return as a baby.
We have the natural case in mind here.

Of course, for most story purposes, this idea seems to be "So what?" While the story world will continue for years, we have no reason to think the kid will be out of diapers before the story ends.

Borris
2008-08-27, 12:28 AM
Which makes us wonder: Do Azurite even believe in reincarnation? It would make sense, with them being Asian-inspired. But I don't think it's even been mentionned once.

AlexanderRM
2008-08-27, 12:58 PM
No, Zero.

Specifically, it creates a brand-new adult body at the location where the spell was cast. It actually has very little to do with traditional reincarnation: It's actually a lot like resurrection except that it randomizes your race and makes you a young adult, and there are various other minor differences.
Also... I don't think there's traditional reincarnation in D&D. A high-enough level cleric could theoretically True Resurrect someone hundreds or thousands of years- 10 years per caster level, so they'd have to be ultra-epic level, but it could be done- after they've died, so if there was traditional reincarnation, they might very well go through several lives before then.
Heh. I'm just imagining finding out that you can't raise someone because they've just been raised as a past life. :smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2008-08-27, 01:42 PM
<snip>
Also... I don't think there's traditional reincarnation in D&D. A high-enough level cleric could theoretically True Resurrect someone hundreds or thousands of years- 10 years per caster level, so they'd have to be ultra-epic level, but it could be done- after they've died, so if there was traditional reincarnation, they might very well go through several lives before then.
Heh. I'm just imagining finding out that you can't raise someone because they've just been raised as a past life. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... interesting plot twist: group of heroes attempt to wipe BBEG, following in footsteps of legendary party... TPK'd by BBEG, Reincarnated by Ultra-druid from their original corpses (in place of honour) as the legendary party...

Occasional Sage
2008-08-27, 03:15 PM
I'm quoting that. Except for a minor edit so it makes sense.

Rad, enjoy!

Thanks for the catch, I've edited the post so your quote doesn't have to look weird.

dragongirl13
2008-08-28, 11:19 AM
A NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO START THESE THREADS: READ THE SPELL DESCRIPTIONS:

Reincarnate creates an entirely new body for the soul to inhabit. The new body is not necessarily the same race as the soul's previous body, but is always a YOUNG ADULT of the race the spell chooses. It does NOT cause a person to become pregnant and give birth to a baby that contains the target soul.

Plus, who can cast Reincarnate? DRUIDS. Only druids. When was the last time we saw a druid? LEEKY WINDSTAFF. Do we think Leeky is going to undergo an alignment change - or even come back! - anytime soon? PROBABLY NOT.

Sure, Rich could easily put in a druid character, but seriously, guys - REINCARNATE DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT.